Packers defense off to a bad start

Green Bay's defense has picked up where it left off last season, and that's unacceptable to Charles Woodson. Full Story
the race

United States

#1 Aug 16, 2010
as a vikings fan; that makes me feel wonderful!
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#2 Aug 16, 2010
oh no! the season is over now, LMAO!!
Shocking

Montgomery, MN

#3 Aug 16, 2010
There is really no reason for puker fans to believe their defense, and team, will be any better this year. Still no O-line to speak of. Defense is mediocre at best.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#4 Aug 16, 2010
The defense is the same as last year, minus several of the Packers best players in recent years. The quality of the offenses they will be playing is much higher this season than last. Without the development of younger players, the defense will struggle this year. However, as Charles Woodson said, Green Bay's defense has picked up where it left off last season, and that's unacceptable. Even less acceptable will be if the defense leaves off where it left off last season. That means the Packers should stop accepting the failure that is the direct result of the philosophy and performance of one person!

As usual, we're forced to hope that Ted finally shows some competence this year. I just hope that we're not doing this crap again next year if we get the usual results. Fortunately, it's easy to pretend it won't happen at this time of the season.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#5 Aug 16, 2010
They played a base 3-4 all night except a couple blitzes, it was vanilla, as it always is in preseason. I really don't think the author watched the game. The players are not quite in game shape and it showed the first couple drives, settle down Packer nation, its only week 1 in PRESEASON!!
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#6 Aug 16, 2010
Shocking wrote:
There is really no reason for puker fans to believe their defense, and team, will be any better this year. Still no O-line to speak of. Defense is mediocre at best.
No O-line? The Vikings didn't face Tauscher and Clifton, GB only gave up 13 or 14 sacks the last 8 games, which they went 7-1, the best record of anyone in second half of the season. The run D was #1 against the run and they had one of best T.O. margins with 30 picks last year, I wouldn't say their mediocre. BTW, Woodson was Defensive player of year, and their secondary was depleted with injury. Matthews was runner up rookie D player of the year.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#7 Aug 16, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
They played a base 3-4 all night except a couple blitzes, it was vanilla, as it always is in preseason. I really don't think the author watched the game. The players are not quite in game shape and it showed the first couple drives, settle down Packer nation, its only week 1 in PRESEASON!!
You aren't claiming that Cleveland played their super complicated mind blowing offense, are you? This was Cleveland! They haven't even decided on a QB from among their grabbag of rookies and rejects. The Browns offense at its best is horrible. It's not a good thing that the Packer units that performed poorly last year, also did so during the first preseason game.

Everybody knows that it was preseason. Everybody knows that preseason game results mean nothing. However, poor performances always mean something as was recognized by Charles Woodson and anybody else with some common sense. Haven't you been claiming the defense would be much improved? If it can't look that way against Cleveland, when will we see it? The fact that people can see what happened doesn't mean that they are in a panic. It simply means they aren't blind to existing problems.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#8 Aug 16, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't claiming that Cleveland played their super complicated mind blowing offense, are you? This was Cleveland! They haven't even decided on a QB from among their grabbag of rookies and rejects. The Browns offense at its best is horrible. It's not a good thing that the Packer units that performed poorly last year, also did so during the first preseason game.
Everybody knows that it was preseason. Everybody knows that preseason game results mean nothing. However, poor performances always mean something as was recognized by Charles Woodson and anybody else with some common sense. Haven't you been claiming the defense would be much improved? If it can't look that way against Cleveland, when will we see it? The fact that people can see what happened doesn't mean that they are in a panic. It simply means they aren't blind to existing problems.
I am saying that it was vanilla, as was the Browns offense. I liked the tackling and VERY little penalties that occurred on the GB side of the ball. BTW, Delhomme is not a reject, his Panthers played in one of greatest Superbowl games ever against the Patriots, he is a Veteran of the game. I'm not making any excuses, I was concerned about the coverage breakdowns, and usually defenses have a step up on offenses in the preseason, but I'm not worried, this defense will be improved in its second year under Capers. Collins made some nice breaks on the ball. Underwood made some nice tackles, and Neal looked good hustling around on the field. Harrell looks like he could provide some nice depth, Jones played solid, and Burnett made some nice plays at the line of scrimmage with good tackling. Hawk and Williams looked a little lost out there, but its preseason, the guys looked winded after that first drive, but I'm sure the coaches seen that and will prepare this team for the season opener. I expect great things from this team, as does most of the NFL experts around the league.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#9 Aug 16, 2010
Jeremy wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, Delhomme is not a reject, his Panthers played in one of greatest Superbowl games ever against the Patriots, he is a Veteran of the game. I'm not making any excuses, I was concerned about the coverage breakdowns, and usually defenses have a step up on offenses in the preseason, but I'm not worried, this defense will be improved in its second year under Capers.
First, Delhomme was so good that the Panthers let him go. That's the very definition of a "reject." I have no idea why you are saying otherwise. The only point that you are making is that you are wrong.

Second, your non-excuses sound an awful lot like excuses. My only point was that, despite your expectations, the defense isn't better until it plays better.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#10 Aug 16, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
First, Delhomme was so good that the Panthers let him go. That's the very definition of a "reject." I have no idea why you are saying otherwise. The only point that you are making is that you are wrong.
Second, your non-excuses sound an awful lot like excuses. My only point was that, despite your expectations, the defense isn't better until it plays better.
OK, whatever makes you feel better.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#11 Aug 19, 2010
Frankly I was more concerned that Mason Crosby was our leading tackler on kicks.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#12 Aug 19, 2010
The areas that need to show improvement, haven't yet. That is of concern regardless of any score in a preseason game. Fortunately, there are 3 more before the games start to count. That means 3 more weeks to make improvement.

Last year the Packers opponents were mostly teams with offenses in the bottom 12. The Packers could win simply by having the offense outperform a crappier offense in most games. When the Packers needed the defense and special teams to really contribute, they seldom came through. Without better play by the defense and special teams this year, the Packers can forget about 11 wins.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#13 Aug 19, 2010
People; you can't draw any definitive conclusions on a team after one exhibition game; get real!!!! To be honest you can't draw much based on exhibition play versus what will happen in the regular season. Whomever wrote this article apparently doesn't know crap about the NFL. This was what, a top five defense last season in the 1st year of the 3/4. If the defense gets embarrassed against Philly then I would worry a little.
GBPmies

Kokkola, Finland

#14 Aug 19, 2010
No need for any of us too worry too much. GBPfan and his hopeless-negativeness has enough to go around for everyone. By the way GBPfan this was a funny joke no need to go off about TT and what you think it means to be a Packer fan- been there, done that
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#15 Aug 20, 2010
GBPmies wrote:
No need for any of us too worry too much. GBPfan and his hopeless-negativeness has enough to go around for everyone. By the way GBPfan this was a funny joke no need to go off about TT and what you think it means to be a Packer fan- been there, done that
What did I say that was hopeless or negative? The truth? You are apparently one of those people that believe that ignoring the truth is "positive" or that by stating an opinion as if it was a fact will make it come true. That way of thinking is pathetic. I'm not surprised though, you are a TT lover. "Reality" is a foreign concept to you people.
eric

Monroe, WI

#16 Aug 20, 2010
here we go again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tennessee Titans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings vs. Tennessee Titans: Live Sc... Sep 2 Spielman 31
Falcons vs Titans TV Schedule, Live Stream, Tim... Aug 23 adriana 1
Knee-Jerk Reactions to Packers' 2014 Preseason ... Aug '14 McCarthyFarts 2
Breaking Down the New York Jets' 2014 Schedule:... Jul '14 Magnum Man II 2
Bears add TE Mulligan, WR Bellamy Apr '14 Team Shower Golf 2
Titans&#x26;rsquo; Jake Locker ahead of schedul... Apr '14 Jakes Foot Locker 1
Former NFL Player Releases Autobiography (Jan '14) Jan '14 Andre Haye 1
•••
•••

Tennessee Titans People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••