Tomlin knows what the Steelers need

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 8,963

“I think [flexibility] is a great thing”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was a bright-eyed, first-year head coach at the NFL Scouting Combine a year ago, but he didn't have a good feel for his team's strengths and weaknesses. via Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Full Story

Since: Feb 08

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9168 Sep 21, 2012
After seeing on Mike & Mike where the words uttered by CJ2K were considered a major mistake on CJ's part, maybe its time to finally come clean- all of us- to the quaint little secret we all knew for so long:
A running back is not a very good RB when he runs behind an OL that is having serious problems creating space to run in.

There are very few backs in NFL history who have performed consistently above the board when defenders are saying hello to them 2 yards deep in the backfield. Just like they don't fare to well either when the only thing they see in front of them are the numbers of their blocking buddies moving in reverse.

As was pointed out on Mike & Mike, there was Barry Sanders, who seemed to create his own space quite often. There too was Walter Payton, who was a perfect combination of speed and power that could fight through a tackle or slip through another just to get to an opening many times. There was Jim Brown, who could shrug off a defender like a fly than outrun a CB to the edge every week.

That is 3 Backs (in their prime) in the span of over 60 years, that you could expect to be above board even though their line could turn in a poor overall performance in a game.

The others for the most part, needed the gap, or hole, or opening to be there somewhere to get started in gaining good positive yards play after play. Some backs don't get near enough credit for the fact that they actually get some positive yards despite having to negotiate through a wall of bodies before they get to the line.

OL lines need to get more credit when the team runs well, and OL's need to take more blame when the team does not. Period.
ALZADOISGOD

Indianapolis, IN

#9169 Sep 24, 2012
Jopa-n wrote:
After seeing on Mike & Mike where the words uttered by CJ2K were considered a major mistake on CJ's part, maybe its time to finally come clean- all of us- to the quaint little secret we all knew for so long:
A running back is not a very good RB when he runs behind an OL that is having serious problems creating space to run in.
There are very few backs in NFL history who have performed consistently above the board when defenders are saying hello to them 2 yards deep in the backfield. Just like they don't fare to well either when the only thing they see in front of them are the numbers of their blocking buddies moving in reverse.
As was pointed out on Mike & Mike, there was Barry Sanders, who seemed to create his own space quite often. There too was Walter Payton, who was a perfect combination of speed and power that could fight through a tackle or slip through another just to get to an opening many times. There was Jim Brown, who could shrug off a defender like a fly than outrun a CB to the edge every week.
That is 3 Backs (in their prime) in the span of over 60 years, that you could expect to be above board even though their line could turn in a poor overall performance in a game.
The others for the most part, needed the gap, or hole, or opening to be there somewhere to get started in gaining good positive yards play after play. Some backs don't get near enough credit for the fact that they actually get some positive yards despite having to negotiate through a wall of bodies before they get to the line.
OL lines need to get more credit when the team runs well, and OL's need to take more blame when the team does not. Period.
Hey Nopa-D ,
Thought I would drop in on you before you take an entire page to explain how yesterdays Raider victory was a once in a lifetime thing that will never happen again , or the "We didn`t have Troy ",excuses began .
Face the facts , "big Bum" knew not to run his mouth this year , the hit on DHB was dirtier than the one on Swan years ago ,although I doubt he will cry as much, and most importantly we have bragging rights now .
See you in the funny pages.
JW Smooth

Altoona, PA

#9170 Sep 24, 2012
ALZADOISGOD wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Nopa-D ,
Thought I would drop in on you before you take an entire page to explain how yesterdays Raider victory was a once in a lifetime thing that will never happen again , or the "We didn`t have Troy ",excuses began .
Face the facts , "big Bum" knew not to run his mouth this year , the hit on DHB was dirtier than the one on Swan years ago ,although I doubt he will cry as much, and most importantly we have bragging rights now .
See you in the funny pages.
I don`t know who you are or where you came from but I would really like to shake your hand some day!! Ole JW could never say it better.
JW Smooth

Tyrone, PA

#9172 Oct 7, 2012
Wednesday nite at 8:00, NFL channel Oct. l0th

Since: Feb 08

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9173 Nov 16, 2012
JW Smooth

Alexandria, PA

#9174 Nov 18, 2012
Jopa, did all your buddies leave us?
Tomlin

United States

#9175 Nov 18, 2012
Yes because we suck.

Since: Feb 08

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9176 Nov 20, 2012
On Mike they are expressing their outrage because Ed Reed got suspended. This creates one hell of a sour taste. Not because their complaining (I actually agree with them in being against suspending NFL players for acts done on the field), but because of the nausiating game of pick and choose they play when they discuss who should be punished vs. who should not.

Just hearing Greeny talk of his reason: "This guys Ed Reed!!! You can't suspend him. How can you suspende one of the best DB's of all time?"

THAT IS SO IDIOTICLY STUPID. IF the reason you do- or don't do- such things, has anything to do with (who) or (who they play for) the rule has no validity whatsoever. Nausiating to hear someone not being against certain players being treated that way but pounding the table in essence because of WHO it is TO THEM personaly.

Golic goes down on this too. Looks like he;s about to wet himself with the fervor he's puting out in saying the rule stinks, its no good, can't be done, ridiculous..........

In his defense, he has been uncomfortable with what the league has been doing, and made it clear back when it all started. Still, to NOW be freaking out (because of who it is) is totally not a legitimate reason to do so. If Golic had so much passion, where the blazes was it when other players were find or suspended. Never seen him so upset. He certainly did not have to worry about taking a valuim when Harrison got suspended.

Which brings us to the next gaff made by Greeny. He stated he was surprised the league suspended Reed not because of the hit but because in his opinion, he felt he did not have a reputation.

WOW!! Now the league is supposed to suspend not because of violation, but because of perception. That is exactly why the rule stinks, when people like Greeny would be abusive in how they used the rule based on other things than vialating the rules.

Since: Feb 08

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9177 Nov 20, 2012
NFL probably should move their offices to Shady Lane:

NFL is such a joke! They just recinded Ed Reed's one game suspension for launching himself head first into Sanders and changed it to a $50,000 fine. Maybe we should just say there are no rules, since nobody knows who the rules really apply too until well after the incidents occur.

How in the world does a one game suspension on an obvious launch play turn into a slap on the wrist AFTER they already suspended Harrison on the basis that he had to be, because the system said that was the next step. What system?

How about just telling us who you like and who you don't like. Ryan Clark should take notice. He isn't gonna get a slap on the wrist on a similar play. He probably won't even commit a penalty. Rules don't apply to him the way they do to Reed.

I'm starting to believe the Saints players after this. If anything doesn't bring the validitiy of how the league office operates into question this certainly does.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#9178 Dec 2, 2012
ALZADOISGOD wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Nopa-D ,
Thought I would drop in on you before you take an entire page to explain how yesterdays Raider victory was a once in a lifetime thing that will never happen again , or the "We didn`t have Troy ",excuses began .
Face the facts , "big Bum" knew not to run his mouth this year , the hit on DHB was dirtier than the one on Swan years ago ,although I doubt he will cry as much, and most importantly we have bragging rights now .
See you in the funny pages.
Not sure about the once in a lifetime thing, seems as though the Raiders of recent have had our number for a number of reasons or for unknown reasons, depending on the perspective. That said, I wouldn't quantify the hit on Heyward-Bey as dirty, he at least was involved in the play and Clark seemed contrite after the hit.

For me at least, I'd never use the excuses or reasoning "if we had this guy or that guy," every team has injuries. Each team has to field the best 11 on a side they can.

Since: Feb 08

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9179 Dec 3, 2012
JW Smooth

Tyrone, PA

#9181 Dec 26, 2012
Do you Steeler lovers wanna know how bad your team is? The Rams have a better record. That`s pretty bad!!!
munum

Pittsburgh, PA

#9182 Dec 26, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
Steelers are Terrible

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#9183 Dec 28, 2012
JW Smooth wrote:
Do you Steeler lovers wanna know how bad your team is? The Rams have a better record. That`s pretty bad!!!
Ouch. That is awful....
urug26

Cleveland, OH

#9184 Dec 29, 2012
all these things are nice, but how can you stop players from blown assigments, penalties, dropped passes, bad coaching, players hurt, rookies are not miracle workers. a ryan clark signing as a free agent or a trade for james farrior or jerome bettis isn't going to happen every year. sadly the steelers are going throug a transition period. only one team, the patriots seem to know the true formula for success which is smart players,coaching turnover with excellent skills to get through to players, drafting players who are smart and true chemistry throughout the whole organization.
JW Smooth

Kane, PA

#9185 Dec 30, 2012
Hey Steeler Nation, Do you think Bob Arians is having a good laugh?
JW Smooth

Kane, PA

#9186 Dec 30, 2012
urug26 wrote:
all these things are nice, but how can you stop players from blown assigments, penalties, dropped passes, bad coaching, players hurt, rookies are not miracle workers. a ryan clark signing as a free agent or a trade for james farrior or jerome bettis isn't going to happen every year. sadly the steelers are going throug a transition period. only one team, the patriots seem to know the true formula for success which is smart players,coaching turnover with excellent skills to get through to players, drafting players who are smart and true chemistry throughout the whole organization.
Tomlin took over a team already together and now it`s called the age factor. They have done little to nothing to replace old players. Example: How many tackles did #43 miss or not make this year? Don`t tell me he`s playing hurt. Another year he missed a bunch of games and they made him Defensive Player of the year.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#9187 Jan 1, 2013
JW Smooth wrote:
Hey Steeler Nation, Do you think Bob Arians is having a good laugh?
C'mon now....he deserves his first name...Bruce (Arians).
JW Smooth

Altoona, PA

#9188 Jan 11, 2013
This Steeler front office makes me sick. A first stringer can get away with murder. A 2nd or 3rd stringer slaps his girl friend a he gets cut from the team. Ben should have gone to the electric chair!!
JW Smooth

Curwensville, PA

#9189 Jan 13, 2013
To the Steeler Nation. One of your most hated teams will be in the Super Bowl. Either New England or Baltimore. I love it!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pittsburgh Steelers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
get rid of tomlin 18 hr steelers fan 1
Steelers' Tomlin: Criticisms by Cowher, Ward ar... Oct 16 Flatulence Fred 3
One day Tomlin will be gone. Oct 15 URUG26 1
Pitt WR Santonio Holmes in denial (Mar '10) Oct 1 Lunch Money Bandit 6
Tomlin: Context of 'players' coach' bugs him Sep 30 CoalitionFarts 2
Calf with '7' on its head named for Steelers' Ben Sep 27 Fossilfarts 2
Fantasy football 2014: Top waiver wire pickups ... Sep 26 Max Flatulence 11

Pittsburgh Steelers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE