Raiders bust Russell cuts weight, eyes NFL return

Jan 23, 2013 Full story: CBS Sports 25

Every year it seems like JaMarcus Russell has lost a few pounds and is attempting a comeback.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

United States

#1 Jan 23, 2013
Your a BUM!!(in Mickeys voice)!! This dude is an example of a terrible waste of time and money.
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

#2 Jan 23, 2013
01TruRaider_Fan wrote:
Your a BUM!!(in Mickeys voice)!! This dude is an example of a terrible waste of time and money.
He's gunna run the "eat option offense".
Nj raider 1

United States

#3 Jan 23, 2013
Truth be told, i'd hire him for low money, league minimum. Everybody blames J Marc, but the truth is the team fucked. The line was pure ass & we had no wr. IMO, he want giving a fair shot. He took the blame for a horrible team & terrible coaching. He couldn't even drop back without having his jersey grabbed. He's still young wit a rocket for an are. Cut lienhert, keep Pryor & pick up russell. That will light the fire under both Pryor & Palmers asses. You can't judge him from his breeze thru Oakland. He truly had nothing to work wit. We'll piss on him someone like the pats will pick him up & groom him & we'll be looking stupid for not picking up a low risk high reward guy cuz everybody chose to judge his performance on a garbage team that couldn't keep the same HC or OC had a trash line & no WRs. Just saying it might be worth the look. As of right now we don't know wut we have in Pryor. We need a scout team QB. Worst case scenario he's better then lienhart, best case scenario he is wut we thought he was. Just saying!

Since: Jan 13

United States

#4 Jan 23, 2013
Clem wrote:
<quoted text> He's gunna run the "eat option offense".
ROFL!!!Lmao!!!! Fa real,,,,,dudes all
fat n outta shape! Eat option!! Lol!
B-real

Tijuana, Mexico

#5 Jan 23, 2013
i wouod give him a second chance

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#6 Jan 23, 2013
Nj raider 1 wrote:
Truth be told, i'd hire him for low money, league minimum. Everybody blames J Marc, but the truth is the team fucked. The line was pure ass & we had no wr. IMO, he want giving a fair shot. He took the blame for a horrible team & terrible coaching. He couldn't even drop back without having his jersey grabbed. He's still young wit a rocket for an are. Cut lienhert, keep Pryor & pick up russell. That will light the fire under both Pryor & Palmers asses. You can't judge him from his breeze thru Oakland. He truly had nothing to work wit. We'll piss on him someone like the pats will pick him up & groom him & we'll be looking stupid for not picking up a low risk high reward guy cuz everybody chose to judge his performance on a garbage team that couldn't keep the same HC or OC had a trash line & no WRs. Just saying it might be worth the look. As of right now we don't know wut we have in Pryor. We need a scout team QB. Worst case scenario he's better then lienhart, best case scenario he is wut we thought he was. Just saying!
it's very true what he was going through the o-line with no protection. but jamarcus russell had a lot to blame for. RAIDERS covered a lot for him about his weight and sleeping in the classroom and work ethics. i backed jamarcus russell like no other in the past. probably more than the oakland RAIDERS (lol), but he sure let everyone down with his constant i don't care attitude and troubles. "fat" chance that he makes it back here. he is young still, but 4 yrs out of the nfl and overweight? plus he has to get with faster football today? truthfully? i wish him the best. do i want him back here today after his i got rich i don't care attitude? NO! hope he gets a chance with another team and let them deal with him even if he does good.
we don't need j russell even for low money. al davis is gone!(rest in peace) AL .
RAIDERS 2013!!!
raiderfaith

Linden, NC

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Where there is smoke.....he has more than his share of blame for what happen. If it were a case of Raiders just not giving protection or misusing him. He would have landed with another team. Someone else would have seen his talent out weighing his issues. But they didn't. There is a reason...where there is smoke....
I also think the weight issue was a ridiculous overemphasized non issue. Should he have been in better shape? Sure but that isn't a reason to crucify him. with his arm strength and size he was a formidable presence in the pocket. His weakness was intelligence. Thought he was bigger than the game. Couldn't handle fame and money.

Since: Jan 11

Tempe, AZ

#8 Jan 24, 2013
There was a reason Bruce Gradkowski outplayed JaMarcus in 2009. And it wasn't because of talent. Just another guy with all of the talent in the world but no motivation. Sure, i hope he does well, but he won't ever be back on our team i think.
raiderfaith

Linden, NC

#9 Jan 24, 2013
Speaking of that I liked Gradkowski. He was fun to watch. He made things happen. Just makes you wonder if we stuck with him, if he woulda turned out ok.
Corran Horn wrote:
There was a reason Bruce Gradkowski outplayed JaMarcus in 2009. And it wasn't because of talent. Just another guy with all of the talent in the world but no motivation. Sure, i hope he does well, but he won't ever be back on our team i think.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10 Jan 24, 2013
He had his chance and screwed it up royally.
Al Davis Zipper Suit

Miami, FL

#11 Jan 24, 2013
I take it Russella ran out of money already.

Since: Jan 11

Tempe, AZ

#12 Jan 24, 2013
Ya, he played with some spunk. If i remember correctly he hurt both of his knees and then we traded for Jason Campbell. But i did like him, and JC. Sure they are "average" qb's, but that was such a nice change and a good contrast.
raiderfaith wrote:
Speaking of that I liked Gradkowski. He was fun to watch. He made things happen. Just makes you wonder if we stuck with him, if he woulda turned out ok.<quoted text>
Captain Canada

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 Jan 24, 2013
RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
<quoted text>it's very true what he was going through the o-line with no protection. but jamarcus russell had a lot to blame for. RAIDERS covered a lot for him about his weight and sleeping in the classroom and work ethics. i backed jamarcus russell like no other in the past. probably more than the oakland RAIDERS (lol), but he sure let everyone down with his constant i don't care attitude and troubles. "fat" chance that he makes it back here. he is young still, but 4 yrs out of the nfl and overweight? plus he has to get with faster football today? truthfully? i wish him the best. do i want him back here today after his i got rich i don't care attitude? NO! hope he gets a chance with another team and let them deal with him even if he does good.
we don't need j russell even for low money. al davis is gone!(rest in peace) AL .
RAIDERS 2013!!!
Hey R.M., don't be too hard on yourself for backing Russell. I did too, as well as most G.M.'s in the NFL who had him as their consensus #1 overall pick. He definitely became the "need for a rookie salary cap" poster guy, as nobody really wanted the first 3 picks or so in the draft, for the money these unproven players were getting (i.e. 60 million over six years). Wonder what I would have done with that cash at 20 years old! He had some crazy skills, but very little motivation (surprise?). Maybe he has that now. It will be interesting to watch.
Jamoron Russell

Miami, FL

#14 Jan 24, 2013
JM is like the fat broad at the end of the bar all alone at last call. Unwanted and useless.
Captain Canada

Winnipeg, Canada

#15 Jan 24, 2013
There's no such thing as a useless fat broad at last call. That's when they are the most popular.
Jamoron Russell

Miami, FL

#16 Jan 24, 2013
OK, so some guys have a use for the fat broad at the end of the bar at last call. But no NFL team has a use for JM.
Captain Canada

Winnipeg, Canada

#17 Jan 24, 2013
C'mon J.R., instead of running the pistol offense he could run the "bazooka"!
Legshot Supper Club

Miami, FL

#18 Jan 24, 2013
Plaxico Burress was a pioneer of the NFL's Pistol Offense. Just ask his cellblock buddies.
Nj raider 1

United States

#19 Jan 24, 2013
All y'all have is media spin as to why they all don't like JaMarcus Russell. The Falcons were smart enough to get Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez for Matt Ryan to work with. The Lions were smart enough to get Megatron for Matt Stafford to work with. Baltimore already have a good team but continued to keep getting players for Joe Flacco to work with(mainly through the draft, but also free agency) i.e Anquan Boldin. The 2 QBs hung out to dry was Bradford & Russell. The only 2 franchises still struggling. I mean damn, the mans WRs was DHB, Murphy, & Schillens which would've been fine if DHB was who he is now & Schillens wasn't hurt all the time. Murphy was a good #2, but we had no #1. Oh my bad, that Miller was our number 1 receiver. Lol! Al Davis f'ed the salary cap up so bad over a10yr span that he couldn't afford to hire a QB coach for a rookie QB that came outta college early. He couldn't afford an OC. Man the difference between Russell & other QBs drafted around that time was Stafford, Ryan, & Flacco's owners were smart enuff to to get them some players to work with. In Flacco's case he was drafted to a good team, but they still continued to bring in better players to scheme around & good coaches like Cam Cameron to get the offense jumping. Everybody just expected miracles from Bradford & Russell. Thats why both franchises are at least 2yrs behind the other franchises. They made an investment in 1 player & expected them to be the team instead of giving them something to work with!

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#20 Jan 24, 2013
Nj raider 1 wrote:
All y'all have is media spin as to why they all don't like JaMarcus Russell. The Falcons were smart enough to get Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez for Matt Ryan to work with. The Lions were smart enough to get Megatron for Matt Stafford to work with. Baltimore already have a good team but continued to keep getting players for Joe Flacco to work with(mainly through the draft, but also free agency) i.e Anquan Boldin. The 2 QBs hung out to dry was Bradford & Russell. The only 2 franchises still struggling. I mean damn, the mans WRs was DHB, Murphy, & Schillens which would've been fine if DHB was who he is now & Schillens wasn't hurt all the time. Murphy was a good #2, but we had no #1. Oh my bad, that Miller was our number 1 receiver. Lol! Al Davis f'ed the salary cap up so bad over a10yr span that he couldn't afford to hire a QB coach for a rookie QB that came outta college early. He couldn't afford an OC. Man the difference between Russell & other QBs drafted around that time was Stafford, Ryan, & Flacco's owners were smart enuff to to get them some players to work with. In Flacco's case he was drafted to a good team, but they still continued to bring in better players to scheme around & good coaches like Cam Cameron to get the offense jumping. Everybody just expected miracles from Bradford & Russell. Thats why both franchises are at least 2yrs behind the other franchises. They made an investment in 1 player & expected them to be the team instead of giving them something to work with!
The lions drafted Johnson before they ever planned on drafting Stafford. Russell really only had one good game in College. Bradford definatly needs some weapons and protection. What's crazy to me is that Calvin Johnson was Al Davis's ideal receiver and he passed on him for JBust...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oakland Raiders Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
willies @ Raiders 1 hr RAIDER MISTERIO OG 18
around the nfl 3 hr RAIDER MISTERIO OG 50
sparano or harbaugh or other? 3 hr RAIDER MISTERIO OG 30
Oakland Raiders Should Try to Trade D.J. Hayden... Thu RAIDER MISTERIO OG 4
2013 NFL Mock Draft: Current Info for All 32 Fi... (Jan '13) Dec 17 Buy a Bowel 130
Reggie McKenzie Rumors: Latest Buzz, Speculatio... Dec 16 Milk Deadtits 5
Raiders at Chefs Dec 14 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 18
More from around the web