Q&A with Edward Roski Jr.: Man who would bring NFL back to Los ...

Majestic Realty Co. Chairman and CEO Edward Roski Jr. has long dreamed of bringing professional football back to the Los Angeles area. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
The Majestic Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Oct 17, 2009
Spoken like an NFL owner.....

He said nothing.....
butter17

Long Beach, CA

#2 Oct 17, 2009
Roski's the man... NFL in L.A is back!!!!!!!!!!
ShamWow

Glendale, CA

#3 Oct 17, 2009
Really...

Since: Oct 09

Diamond Bar, CA

#4 Oct 17, 2009
In other words, "San Diego, its been a pleasure doing business with your senate and legislature representatives. Nathan Fletcher, tell my how my ass taste."
Jeff Whittier

United States

#5 Oct 17, 2009
Roski says " I was in Chicago for the USC vs Notre Dme game " and " Doing the right thing for Los Angeles " and " To prepare myself to be a NFL owner" he is a sports junkie and a person who already can form a organization that many owners cant compete with. I recognize his hunger and determination and we are all lucky as LA football fans to have Mr Roski as our team owner and we the fans will reap the rewards he has given us. The current socalled owners that have screwed us or who just cant make relocation decisions fair warning if you snooze you will lose for a hell of a long time. My wallet is on Mr Roski Jrs side, how about you ?
butter17

Long Beach, CA

#6 Oct 17, 2009
Jeff Whittier wrote:
Roski says " I was in Chicago for the USC vs Notre Dme game " and " Doing the right thing for Los Angeles " and " To prepare myself to be a NFL owner" he is a sports junkie and a person who already can form a organization that many owners cant compete with. I recognize his hunger and determination and we are all lucky as LA football fans to have Mr Roski as our team owner and we the fans will reap the rewards he has given us. The current socalled owners that have screwed us or who just cant make relocation decisions fair warning if you snooze you will lose for a hell of a long time. My wallet is on Mr Roski Jrs side, how about you ?
WELL SAID.
Still ondering

Covina, CA

#7 Oct 17, 2009
butter17 wrote:
<quoted text>WELL SAID.
it is rare when we can root for a underdog like Roski. Go Ed!!! You are almost there.
LA RAMS FAN HOPEFUL

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Oct 18, 2009
THATS GOOD TO HEAR...LETS TRY AND BRING RAMS BACK TO L.A. AND START OVER AGAIN WITH A WHOLE NEW TEAM...
Dont Be Stupid

Whittier, CA

#9 Oct 18, 2009
I have seen more news published in this paper when they reported on an upcoming panvake breakfast at the senior citizen's center.

How does one prepare to become an NFL owner? Do you shave your legs and tape your ankels? Do you offer free seats to the politicians that gave you the land and tax exemption, while promising to lay infrastructure costs on taxpayers by selling bonds? Do you then lie to the public and say how you are protecting public money? Do you have the city hire a convicted felon former legislator to give advice on how to get a bill through the legislature without a door knock from the FBI?

The Governor wants to sign a bill exempting his stadium plan from certain laws, but he wants Roski to get a team from another state. Roski's bunch has promised jobs, but if a California team moves to Industry the jobs in the Bay area or San Diego are lost. That would be re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I dont blame Roski for going to the USC game. He is BMOC (big man on campus) there. I went to see the Cal Bears game. College football is enjoyable, and there is plenty of it in Los Angeles. Who needs the NFL?

There was one factual error in the story. LA is not the largest media market. New York is because they like to live in rabbit warren like housing conditions, so the population density is higher. The LA market could be bigger than NY if they accurately counted all the Hispanic households. That would not help the NFL, because in those households footballs are round.

The fact remains though that despite numerous "presentations" (read that as there is no cash in this deal, but just look at the rents from Crossroads, don't you want a piece of that?) there is no NFL team coming to LA. The teams left because in 1994 there was too much competition for sports dollars. It is more intense today. A NFL team would have trouble filling a stadium in West LA, let alone a cow pasture in Industry. If the stadium is not full the NFL imposes a blackout on local TV. No TV means the most significant income for the game is lost. Since all teams share the TV money, none will vote for a paycut. No team is coming.

No team can use the threat of moving to Industry to get a bigger, better deal in their own town because people know that a move to LA is impossible without a change in the NFL blackout rules.

This stadium is not even it the red zone. It is close to the "design projects abandoned" zone.
Gary

West Covina, CA

#10 Oct 18, 2009
Dont Be Stupid wrote:
I have seen more news published in this paper when they reported on an upcoming panvake breakfast at the senior citizen's center.
How does one prepare to become an NFL owner? Do you shave your legs and tape your ankels? Do you offer free seats to the politicians that gave you the land and tax exemption, while promising to lay infrastructure costs on taxpayers by selling bonds? Do you then lie to the public and say how you are protecting public money? Do you have the city hire a convicted felon former legislator to give advice on how to get a bill through the legislature without a door knock from the FBI?
The Governor wants to sign a bill exempting his stadium plan from certain laws, but he wants Roski to get a team from another state. Roski's bunch has promised jobs, but if a California team moves to Industry the jobs in the Bay area or San Diego are lost. That would be re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
I dont blame Roski for going to the USC game. He is BMOC (big man on campus) there. I went to see the Cal Bears game. College football is enjoyable, and there is plenty of it in Los Angeles. Who needs the NFL?
There was one factual error in the story. LA is not the largest media market. New York is because they like to live in rabbit warren like housing conditions, so the population density is higher. The LA market could be bigger than NY if they accurately counted all the Hispanic households. That would not help the NFL, because in those households footballs are round.
The fact remains though that despite numerous "presentations" (read that as there is no cash in this deal, but just look at the rents from Crossroads, don't you want a piece of that?) there is no NFL team coming to LA. The teams left because in 1994 there was too much competition for sports dollars. It is more intense today. A NFL team would have trouble filling a stadium in West LA, let alone a cow pasture in Industry. If the stadium is not full the NFL imposes a blackout on local TV. No TV means the most significant income for the game is lost. Since all teams share the TV money, none will vote for a paycut. No team is coming.
No team can use the threat of moving to Industry to get a bigger, better deal in their own town because people know that a move to LA is impossible without a change in the NFL blackout rules.
This stadium is not even it the red zone. It is close to the "design projects abandoned" zone.
Not enough time to point out everything wrong with this post. Pretty much the whole thing is BS!
The Majestic Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#11 Oct 18, 2009
In Reply to The Incredibly Stupid "Dont Be Stupid":

"No TV means the most significant income for the game is lost. Since all teams share the TV money, none will vote for a paycut. No team is coming."

This is a lie. No team takes a paycut because of blackouts. From the Federal reserve Bank of Boston:
By 1998, the NFL had TV agreements with ABC, CBS, ESPN, and Fox for a combined total of $17.6 billion over eight years.

Why have television companies been willing to pay the NFL so much money? Because even on a slow Sunday, millions of viewers sit down to watch at least one NFL contest. And although many of these armchair fans may never actually buy a ticket to a game, they are an audience that advertisers are eager to reach because they spend a lot of money on beer, soft drinks, chips, salsa, cars, trucks, tires, telephone service, financial services, and computers.

Televised games bring together buyers (consumers/fans) and sellers (advertisers and their clients), and they attract fansí attention long enough for advertisers to hit them with commercial messages.

The basics are simple. Broadcast and cable networks pay sports leagues for the national rights to televise games. Then they turn around and sell commercial time to advertisers. When more people watch the games, advertisers are willing to pay higher rates for commercial time because their ads are reaching more potential consumers."

In 1994 the NFL signed a contract with Fox. Fox paid 1.58 billion. This is supposedly in the middle of all the LA TV market blackouts the idiot known as 'Don't be Stupid' happened. Guess what? The NFL did not lose money.

The poster known as 'Don't Be Stupid' is a liar and a jerk. He has no insight, no argument, and no opinion of value.
Money Acts

Beverly Hills, CA

#12 Oct 18, 2009
Ed Roski Jr. - the new face of pay for politics in California.
AngryWhittierRes ident

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Oct 18, 2009
I love it when Billionaires can buy their way through all of the environmental regulation everyone else must follow. Where are all the Actors and Demswho are always spouting off about being "green"?
Paul

Compton, CA

#14 Oct 18, 2009
"Don't Be Stupid"...that post has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read, your facts are all false...by the way NYC is the largest TV market not media market...LA is the largest media market...NYC just has more tv's...figure out the difference stupid....oh and the NFL didn't leave LA for your lame reason, they left because Georgia wanted a new stadium paid for by the taxpayers, she got the deal from St Louis, not financially strapped anaheim or LA...the Raiders left because of the Al davis's greed, he wanted money and a stadium...the main reason they didn't get anything from LA was because of the 1994 Northridge Earthquake that had done billions of dollars in damage...you think La and surrounding cities would have aid for a football stadium aft a natural disaster of that magnitude???????...you need to stop with your bs..cause you sound "stupid"....
The Majestic Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#15 Oct 18, 2009
AngryWhittierResident wrote:
I love it when Billionaires can buy their way through all of the environmental regulation everyone else must follow. Where are all the Actors and Demswho are always spouting off about being "green"?
Here ya go, from this paper:

"Molina said the stubbornness of the citizen's group could ultimately hamper legitimate environmental groups throughout the state.

"I wish the citizens would have found a compromise," Molina said. "They just wanted to be intrusive and get their way. They hurt of us all in the long run, because now other big projects will be looking to the legislature to grant CEQA exemptions."

Romero noted no environmental groups ever protested the two Environmental Impact Reports produced for the project site.

"The law should never be used as a means for extortion," she said."

Could be the actors and Dems see the stadium opposition for what it is........
read

Crestline, CA

#16 Oct 18, 2009
why
The Majestic Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#17 Oct 18, 2009
read wrote:
why
why not
SGV

Hesperia, CA

#18 Oct 18, 2009
You three or four that always comment need to get a life. You, Lim and the City of Walnut need to go away. We will all see by the end of Feb what team will come here. So you all need to shut-up and wait.
The Majestic Mike C

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#19 Oct 18, 2009
SGV wrote:
You three or four that always comment need to get a life. You, Lim and the City of Walnut need to go away. We will all see by the end of Feb what team will come here. So you all need to shut-up and wait.
As someone who always comments......

Why are you so concerned about what I do with my time? It is none of your business. I can comment all I want to........don't need your permission.
Dont Be Stupid

Whittier, CA

#21 Oct 18, 2009
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Not enough time to point out everything wrong with this post. Pretty much the whole thing is BS!
You have nothing to say because the truth does not conform to your limited understanding of the facts. When they slap you in the face, you call BS. Your right though, it is BS, meaning Brilliant Sportstalk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NFC West Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 Bold Predictions For 49ers vs. Saints Nov 7 5 Bold Farts 4
Cardinals storm back to beat Cowboys Nov 3 Flatulence Fred 2
Possible Raiders coaching candidates Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 50
Cowboys' Spillman subject of reported sex assault Oct '14 Mechanical Romo R... 1
NFL round-up: Seattle Seahawks sneak Superbowl ... Sep '14 Flatulence Fred 2
Dallas Cowboys Fans To Blame For 49ers Sea Of Red Sep '14 CowboySux 2
NFL Preview: Breaking down the 49ers' schedule Sep '14 Jerrys Kids 2

NFC West People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE