Goodell to meet with 'bounty' players

Goodell to meet with 'bounty' players

There are 54 comments on the WETM-TV Elmira story from Sep 11, 2012, titled Goodell to meet with 'bounty' players. In it, WETM-TV Elmira reports that:

National Football League Commissioner Roger Goddell smiles before the season opening game between the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on September 8, 2011 in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WETM-TV Elmira.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
normallylikeyell ow

Tyrone, PA

#42 Sep 15, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, in New Orleans both contracts and bonuses were determined by how well you played. I'm sure it was both on every team in the league at one time or another. I'm surprised the whole focus has been on the defense. Do you seriously think that ONLY the defense had a bonus pool for performance? Have you ever played football? Can you imagine only part of your team having something like that?
Surely you are not suggesting that the Royal Prince of QBs, his highness Drew Brees, would ever be party to such a thing? Blasphemy. When he's not throwing sandbags on a levee or rescuing a entire city or kissing a baby or making folksy homey commercials he's studying the rule book to ensure fair play--I'm sure of it. But dishing out money for cut blocks? Inconceivable.
Reggie1-1

Bronx, NY

#43 Sep 15, 2012
i remember that game when favre got really messed up it was like he was going to get dismembered from head to toe.
Now these guys are innocent. i mean geez its was like lyle alzado the steroid man out there punishing the qb.
no they werent on the take too much
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#44 Sep 15, 2012
Reggie1-1 wrote:
i remember that game when favre got really messed up it was like he was going to get dismembered from head to toe.
Now these guys are innocent. i mean geez its was like lyle alzado the steroid man out there punishing the qb.
no they werent on the take too much
I remember Favre usually settled down and played much better after he took a good hit or two. Or after he gave a good hit or two. He was never a pussy about the physical part of football. I believe he didn't really focus until he felt like he was playing football, and that required some hitting. That is one of the things I always liked most about Brett Favre. It is still what I most admire about him. He truly was the ironman of QBs. It's no wonder he has never whined and cried about the playoff game against the Saints. He knows they were only doing what he would do if he was playing on defense.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#45 Sep 15, 2012
As I recall the Saints jarred the football lose from Vikings players 7 times during that game. That's how good defense was meant to be played -- smash mouth! If you don't want to hit people, don't play football. And if you don't want to see people hit each other, don't watch football.
normallylikeyell ow

Tyrone, PA

#47 Sep 18, 2012
Good point. Fumbles cost Minnesota that game. And Favre was a man not complain about it--or the hi/lo hit. However that doesn't exonerate the Saints. They admitted to it. Unfortunately for Goodell, fan sentiment is against those heavy suspensions because we're not stupid-we know other teams were doing it.
Reggie1-1

Bronx, NY

#48 Sep 19, 2012
they can say what they want about favre i did like him drove me nuts half the time with his high ints but overall he was good.tuff and strong not a whiny baby like da cubbies have
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#50 Sep 19, 2012
Reggie1-1 wrote:
they can say what they want about favre i did like him drove me nuts half the time with his high ints but overall he was good.tuff and strong not a whiny baby like da cubbies have
Favre played with a green banana up his ass. Remember that pained look he'd have after throwing a pick as he limped towards the sideline?
The all-time season-ending interception leader in NFC Championship game history.
Another record for Favre
Subtropic

United States

#51 Sep 19, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Favre played with a green banana up his ass.
Couple of coconuts too...
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#52 Sep 19, 2012
Reggie1-1 wrote:
Favre gets a bad rap for interceptions. Here are the career interception rates of some NFL QBs:

Brett Favre 3.3
Phil Simms 3.4
Warren Moon 3.4
Jim McMahon 3.5
Boomer Esiason 3.5
Ken Anderson 3.6
Jim Kelly 3.7
Roger Staubach 3.7
Doug Williams 3.7
Joe Theismann 3.8
Ron Jaworski 4.0
Fran Tarkenton 4.1
Dan Fouts 4.3
Bart Starr 4.4
Sonny Jurgensen 4.4
Jim Zorn 4.5
Archie Manning 4.8
Don Meredith 4.8
Jim Hart 4.9
Billy Kilmer 4.9
Johnny Unitas 4.9
Bob Greise 5.0
Otto Graham 5.1
Jim Plunkett 5.3
Terry Bradshaw 5.4
Y.A. Tittle 5.6
Lynn Dickey 5.7
Joe Namath 5.8
Ken Stabler 5.9
Norm Van Brocklin 6.1

Marino and Aikman had 3.0 rates and Elway had a 3.1. The difference with Favre amounts to about one more interception per season for Favre. The only reason Favre has so many interceptions for his career is because he had an incredibly long and succesful career, NOT BECAUSE HE THREW A LOT OF INTERCEPTIONS! His interception rate compares extremely favorably to nearly every contemporary and past NFL quarterback. You may have noticed that none of the past Packer QBs had a better interception rate. And among QBs currently playing, the QBs that have INT rates as high or higher than Favre include Eli Manning and Mathew Stafford!

Of course, Favre did throw some INTS at memorable moments. However, the people that think he threw a lot of interceptions compared to other QBs just don't know football or it's history.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#53 Sep 19, 2012
As a Packer fan I think the 113 more TD passes that Favre threw than Marino (number 2 on the career TD list) and the 235 more TD passes than Elway (number 5 on the Career TD list) make the extra INT each season easily worthwhile!
normallylikeyell ow

Tyrone, PA

#54 Sep 22, 2012
I can't believe these Bears fans, GBP. They were seeing Brett Favre in their nightmares for years. And if I'm not mistaken, his last TD pass was against Chicago.
eric

Marshfield, WI

#55 Sep 22, 2012
It will be intersted to see AR numbers in 10 years or so and see how they match up with Bretts.Of course AR wil not start for close to 20 years as he spent his first 3 or 4 years on the bench ( kind of like the old days isnt it?) but i am willing to bet AR will end up with more SB rings a much better TD/INT ratio,but,not nearly as many yards,comeback victories,TD or consecutive starts.Favre was an iron man for sure.Toughness and a little luck goes a long way!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#56 Sep 23, 2012
eric wrote:
It will be intersted to see AR numbers in 10 years or so and see how they match up with Bretts.Of course AR wil not start for close to 20 years as he spent his first 3 or 4 years on the bench ( kind of like the old days isnt it?) but i am willing to bet AR will end up with more SB rings a much better TD/INT ratio,but,not nearly as many yards,comeback victories,TD or consecutive starts.Favre was an iron man for sure.Toughness and a little luck goes a long way!
Does it matter? How do Brett Favre's numbers compare to Bart Starr's numbers? How will Rodger's numbers compare to ANY Hall of Fame player? Isn't that the only reason to compare numbers? If a player doesn't stack up, he doesn't get into the HOF. Otherwise, what difference does it make? And a lot of QBs will get into the HOF without putting up Favre numbers. That would be a ridiculously high bar to set for entrance into the HOF. Is anybody asking how Clay Mathews numbers will compare to Ray Nitschke? A person could do that I suppose. But why?
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#57 Sep 23, 2012
normallylikeyellow wrote:
I can't believe these Bears fans, GBP. They were seeing Brett Favre in their nightmares for years. And if I'm not mistaken, his last TD pass was against Chicago.
I think he still haunts them in their dreams to this day! There may be a cure for that. At the rate Rodgers is going, he may become the boogie man in their nightmares.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Orleans Saints Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sharper sentencing in federal sexual assault ca... Jul 23 Fart news 4
News Ex-NFL coach Haslett hired as Penn Statea s a s... Jun '15 Flatulent Jim 1
News Study: Patriots Balls Didn't Deflate Too Much, ... Jun '15 tom wingo 13
News Knee injuries to 2 prized picks have NFL teams ... Jun '15 tom wingo 2
News Hyde5: Ellerbe rips Dolphins for not knowing 'h... Jun '15 stewart scott 18
News Tom Brady suspended four games, Patriots lose d... May '15 tom wingo 64
News Darren Sharper Pleads Guilty to Federal Charges... May '15 tom wingo 2
More from around the web