**** PF's crazy QB Analysis ****

Since: Mar 07

Denver, CO

#22 Apr 15, 2011
It will all be over soon enough boys and we can look back at all of the BS we went through trying to figure out who would be the best fit, to be honest I think any guy on your list gives us a better chance than Tjoke so let the chips fall where they will and we will see what happens. I know I have read so many articles and watched so many game and highlight reels that I am over it by now, we can crap in one hand and wish in the other and slap them together and wind up with a Jamarcus Russel if we are not lucky, and a good part of getting a franchise QB is luck..:)

Travis

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#23 Apr 16, 2011
TRPE wrote:
It will all be over soon enough boys and we can look back at all of the BS we went through trying to figure out who would be the best fit, to be honest I think any guy on your list gives us a better chance than Tjoke so let the chips fall where they will and we will see what happens. I know I have read so many articles and watched so many game and highlight reels that I am over it by now, we can crap in one hand and wish in the other and slap them together and wind up with a Jamarcus Russel if we are not lucky, and a good part of getting a franchise QB is luck..:)
Travis
lol, funny stuff!
Kanfan

Wichita, KS

#24 Apr 16, 2011
PF: I agree that none of the available QBs are instant stars...Mallet sure aint one. Locker's strong suit is throwing on the run, might be useful but I hope he isn't our choice. And yes, I do see the simularity in ignoring Kaepernick...not tipping their hand?? The Vikings stated preference is to have an instant starter from this drafts #1 pk. Kinda leaves out QB, in my opinion. While I think McNabb is over-the-hill, I think he may be our veteran...the one who gets the crap beat outta him as we didn't fix our O/L. History does repeat itself.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#25 Apr 16, 2011
Childress wrote:
McElroy seems to be off every body's radar?
I haven't looked at him.Thoughts from the forum?
I looked at him and think he may be an absolute steal. Everyone is getting all hung up on running QBs or spread offense. Mcelroy broke a small bone in his hand in the Senior Bowl so he didn't throw at combine or Bama Pro Day. This has made him drop in the QB rankings. He's smart, accurate and can play under center. Scour reprots question whether he has the arm strength to make outside throws against the speed on NFL DBs. If he is accurate enough and smart enough to recognize the coverage he can make the throws.

I think Mcelroy will be the suprise QB starting for many years. It may take him a few years to crack into the starting position but so did many others have to wait.

Minneapolis

#26 Apr 16, 2011
KF- I'd rather have Bulger than McNabb, i think. McNabb & Kolb are probably not great fits since Musgrave says he wants to move away from WCO & go more vertical. With AD, Vertical seems to make a lot of sense; make it harder for LB's & safeties to get deep enough if they are in or near the box.

Stubby- What do you think of McElroy's footwork? He tends to be constantly jumping around & actually does a ton of jump passes. Is my concern there overblown?

So, if the Vikings want to go vertical (ray-dah football, McDaniels football), who are our best options? I think that might eliminate Gabbert, Dalton & McElroy based on arm strength. We might be left looking at Newton, Mallet, & Locker more.(Obviously, I like Stanzi, but I may be alone on the forum on that, so I'll leave it be.)

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#27 Apr 17, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
KF- I'd rather have Bulger than McNabb, i think. McNabb & Kolb are probably not great fits since Musgrave says he wants to move away from WCO & go more vertical. With AD, Vertical seems to make a lot of sense; make it harder for LB's & safeties to get deep enough if they are in or near the box.
Stubby- What do you think of McElroy's footwork? He tends to be constantly jumping around & actually does a ton of jump passes. Is my concern there overblown?
So, if the Vikings want to go vertical (ray-dah football, McDaniels football), who are our best options? I think that might eliminate Gabbert, Dalton & McElroy based on arm strength. We might be left looking at Newton, Mallet, & Locker more.(Obviously, I like Stanzi, but I may be alone on the forum on that, so I'll leave it be.)

They can teach footwork. What has been proven time and again is you can't teach accuracy. That's why I'm not hot on Locker or Newton. Newton's stats say he is accurate, but I saw how wide open his receivers were and how they could adjust to bad throws. He is suspect long down the outside and throwing to a tight window. McElroy, even when having happy feet or jumping was very accurate.

Since: Dec 06

United States

#28 Apr 17, 2011
Well come draft day,
we all get to pick 1 player in each round.Early rounds.
And with our #1 pick,I'm selecting

United States

#29 Apr 17, 2011
Hey it didn't type.
What happened?
Oh well,maybe it will show uplater.
KanFan

Wichita, KS

#30 Apr 17, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
PF: Vertical makes sense, who has the strongest arm? Kaepernick. Is he ready to start? Is he 1st rd material? NO! Which leads to a trade, and that I like. Newton, Mallet, Locker, McElroy....I hope not. I don't see too much to like about any of these 2011 draft picks, and I certainly would not waste a #12 pick on them.
KanFan

Wichita, KS

#31 Apr 17, 2011
Childress wrote:
Well come draft day,
we all get to pick 1 player in each round.Early rounds.
And with our #1 pick,I'm selecting
And for that choice, you get 10 lashes with a wet noodle. You rascal...

Minneapolis

#32 Apr 17, 2011
KanFan wrote:
<quoted text>PF: Vertical makes sense, who has the strongest arm? Kaepernick. Is he ready to start? Is he 1st rd material? NO! Which leads to a trade, and that I like. Newton, Mallet, Locker, McElroy....I hope not. I don't see too much to like about any of these 2011 draft picks, and I certainly would not waste a #12 pick on them.
yep. Kaep has a cannon, certainly. McElroy is definitely not a vertical guy, but Mallett's the prototype vertical guy. Did you know Dan Marino was the 6th QB taken in 1983 because of a rumored drug problem & a lack of maturity? Vikes may well be targeting him (but i doubt it). Should be an interesting draft.
Scam Newton

Houston, TX

#33 Apr 18, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
My second post shows the stats for each individual "big" game for each player. So for every local pundits' vike prediction Jake Locker it shows:
Jake Locker
9/18 Nebraska L 56-21 4 20 71 20.0 45 1 2 46.32
10/2 @USC W 32-31 24 40 310 60.0 44 1 0 133.35
10/9 Arizona State L 24-14 23 38 209 60.5 22 1 1 110.15
10/23 @Arizona L 44-14 17 29 183 58.6 43 1 0 123.00
10/30 Stanford L 41-0 7 14 64 50.0 19 0 2 59.82
BOWL Nebraska W 19-7 5 16 56 31.3 26 0 0 60.65
2-4,
80/157, 893, 4td, 5 INT
51%, 5.7 YPA, 39.3 Att/TD, 31.4 Att/Int
----------
3 days late and a dollar short on my part but worth reading on all supporting posts. Interesting numbers.
KanFan

Wichita, KS

#34 Apr 18, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>yep. Kaep has a cannon, certainly. McElroy is definitely not a vertical guy, but Mallett's the prototype vertical guy. Did you know Dan Marino was the 6th QB taken in 1983 because of a rumored drug problem & a lack of maturity? Vikes may well be targeting him (but i doubt it). Should be an interesting draft.
Mallet can throw, no doubt. Hands down, he has the best arm over-all in this draft...but he is a phone-booth back there...blitz him and he's done. You just can't teach someone how to move quickly and reset...in fact, I don't think you could teach Mallet anything...he's just not too smart. He would be the last QB I would choose.
No, I did not know that about Marino.

Minneapolis

#35 Apr 18, 2011
Thanks, Scam Newton. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kanfan, yes, maybe mallet's question marks mean he is not worth selecting. But it does not mean other guys should move up. Look at the 1983 draft - there's not that many QB's( or maybe any) that can compare with Elway, Kelly OR Marino. I just don't think Blackledge or Obrien become better QB prospects because you don't like marino's immaturity or stupidity (low wonderlick score). Basically, every concern you have about Mallet was said about Marino - stupid, slow, drug problems, & immature.

Mallet actually has looked ok to me sliding in the pocket. Certainly, he moves as well as manning. Flacco & Brady aren't exactly scramblers. Don't mark him down for that, imo. my main worry (only worry on the football field) with mallet is his INT rate goes up in the big games.

Minneapolis

#36 Mar 5, 2013
ah, back when we all basically agreed vikes should target a rd 2 qb. =)

“VIKINGS, NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!”

Location hidden

#37 Mar 8, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
ah, back when we all basically agreed vikes should target a rd 2 qb.=)
I had never read this thread. Pretty good stuff PF!
Only time will tell if Ponder is the man. I know I was shocked when the picked him. So far, looks like a giant reach...
viking nation

Madera, CA

#38 Mar 8, 2013
Aaron's younger borther should be there by the Vikes 4th pick. http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/m...
GBPmies

Finland

#39 Mar 9, 2013
viking nation wrote:
Aaron's younger borther should be there by the Vikes 4th pick. http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/m...
You have some very interesting posts vn, not unlike others I have seen in the past. Can I ask you how do you feel about how espn lists the SOS for teams? I feel this is the ONLY correct way of listing SOS. How about you?

2013 NFL strength of schedule
Team Opp. Win Percentage Opp. Won-Loss-Tie
Carolina Panthers .543 138-116-2
Detroit Lions .539 138-118-0
New Orleans Saints .539 137-117-2
St. Louis Rams .539 137-117-2
Baltimore Ravens .535 137-119-0
Green Bay Packers .533 136-119-1
Arizona Cardinals .520 131-121-4
Miami Dolphins .520 133-123-0
San Francisco 49ers .520 132-122-2
Minnesota Vikings .516 132-124-0
Seattle Seahawks .516 130-122-4
Cincinnati Bengals .508 130-126-0
Jacksonville Jaguars .508 129-125-2
New England Patriots .508 130-126-0
Atlanta Falcons .504 128-126-2
Chicago Bears .502 128-127-1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers .500 127-127-2
Washington Redskins .498 127-128-1
New York Jets .496 127-129-0
Philadelphia Eagles .496 127-129-0
Cleveland Browns .492 126-130-0
Pittsburgh Steelers .492 126-130-0
Tennessee Titans .488 124-130-2
New York Giants .480 123-133-0
Dallas Cowboys .480 121-134-1
Buffalo Bills .473 121-135-0
Houston Texans .473 120-134-2
Kansas City Chiefs .473 121-135-0
Oakland Raiders .469 120-136-0
Indianapolis Colts .461 117-137-2
San Diego Chargers .457 117-139-0
Denver Broncos .430 110-146-0
viking nation

Madera, CA

#40 Mar 9, 2013
The Packers have a tough schedule. Them isnt going to be the team as last year without woodson & jennings & with last years picks that didnt pan out. It could be a long season here is the packers schedule. The away teams have a winning record... http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/2...
viking nation

Madera, CA

#41 Mar 9, 2013
ha ha ha hehehe9226

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I like what I am sniffing, so fart..... Mar 25 Champion pharts 13
Lataviu Murray Mar 25 Done pharts 6
Vikings Mock draft Mar 19 A Phartx 10
I like what I am seeing, so far..... Mar 16 ReadPhartss 38
News WR Adam Thielen seeks 'respect' with new Viking... Mar 9 RespectPhartx 2
Samaje perine Mar 5 Sooner pharts 4
Nick mangold Mar 4 OhPhartsz 6
More from around the web