Comments
81 - 100 of 106 Comments Last updated Jan 16, 2013

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#83 Jan 3, 2013
Unlike WDFP, I provided continuous evaluation of Ponder. No extremes to either say worst QB, trade him and no future HoFer. I leave that clueless type rants to....well I leave it to Clueless from Vegas.

Don't forget he has always been, currently is and always will be a Greenway hater. Meanwhile those of us who actually watch football realize he is one of the best LBs in the game today.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#84 Jan 6, 2013
Ponder finished 21st in passer rating and 31st in YPA.

Webb finished the postseason for us just as inept as Andy Dalton did for cinci. The were ranked about the same. Brutal.

Well, my position is the same. Ponder is an average to below average qb that I doubt is a long term answer. But, there are no qb's in this draft I think we can take and flip the keys to. Ponder in 2013.

Yorktown, VA

#85 Jan 8, 2013
Stubby wrote:
I look around at what other teams have done. Rodgers was waiting in the wings, Foles was sitting behind Vick, Kapaernick behind Smith and even Kirk Cousins behind RGIII. I could go on. Yet what QB depth do the Vikings have. Webb has had a couple of exciting games but we've all seen his accuracy problem. To be truely competitive true depth is needed at QB to provide backup for injury or replacement for poor performance....
Sometimes it sucks to be right. I was right about lack of QB depth and it showed up at the worst possible time.
Magnum Man

Christopher, IL

#86 Jan 9, 2013
2013 Cam Newton will be visiting the Vikings. Hmmm - that game could be interesting......

Minneapolis

#87 Jan 10, 2013
lack of QB depth was intentional. the braintrust didn't want there to be a legitimate QB behind Ponder to pressure him. They didn't want to T-Jack him. Spielman saw what happened with T-Jack under Childress and he didn't want to repeat it with Ponder. So, adios, Rosenfels.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#88 Jan 10, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Many of us have ignored reality or avoided talking the truth about Ponder. Mostly it was to trash any discussion by World's Dubmest Football Poster. We can't avoid the harsh realities about Ponder anymore.
1) He is too skittish in the pocket and too quick to run or get rid of the ball.
2) His accuracy under 15 yards is great but over 15 yds he's Tarvaris Jackson.
3) He doesn't have the zip to throw the tight slants and hard out routes.
4) He can't sell it on play action pass (not like Musgrave calls many anyhow).
Happy feet and pocket presence can be fixed but arm strength and ball speed is what it is. Vikings can grind it out on the ground only so far but a better passing QB is needed to make this team a contender.
Thoughts? All comments from WDFP shall be ignored.
Agreed. Y'know....triceps? Don't need those to hand off.

He should have started and gone as far as he could. He wussed out. Or he was coerced to wuss out.

Brett Favre....313 games in a row until McKinney gave up.

Ponder needs to toughen up. Couldn't throw over 12 yards? When do they ask him to?

I think we have another Chris Chandler, the man of glass.

We have not had a backup since Jeff George.

QB position wide open at all 3 slots.

Yorktown, VA

#89 Jan 11, 2013
Wussed out. Come on Harry, that's a cop out. Everyone brings up Favre and how long he went. Guess what he was both lucky and stupid. Lucky by not having a major injury and lucky by having only lesser injuries to throwing arm. He was stupid becuase when he did get banged up like the bad hand he had a couple times he stayed in and played. Guess what happened? They lost. Don't forget the NFC Championship game when he played with a badly sprained ankle. If he was smart he would have came out of the game for the good of the team. 4th qtr, game tied, 3rd and 15 on NO 38 tard line in field goal range. Favre is flushed out and tries to make throw with that bad ankle hampering him. Pass intercepted. Game heads to over time and the New Orleans cheaters..I mean Saints win.

If QBs wouldn't have the idiot mentality of playing through pain but rather a mentality of team first, he would have come out. Different scenario then. QB with good legs is flushed out, sees nothing open and runs for 5 yards. Longwell comes out and makes 50 yard field goal and Vikings go to the Super Bowl.

Playing through pain makes sense for some positions. It makes no frikkin sense for QB. As playing at lest then you best means the enitire team is playing at less then thier best.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#90 Jan 11, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Wussed out. Come on Harry, that's a cop out. Everyone brings up Favre and how long he went. Guess what he was both lucky and stupid. Lucky by not having a major injury and lucky by having only lesser injuries to throwing arm. He was stupid becuase when he did get banged up like the bad hand he had a couple times he stayed in and played. Guess what happened? They lost. Don't forget the NFC Championship game when he played with a badly sprained ankle. If he was smart he would have came out of the game for the good of the team. 4th qtr, game tied, 3rd and 15 on NO 38 tard line in field goal range. Favre is flushed out and tries to make throw with that bad ankle hampering him. Pass intercepted. Game heads to over time and the New Orleans cheaters..I mean Saints win.
If QBs wouldn't have the idiot mentality of playing through pain but rather a mentality of team first, he would have come out. Different scenario then. QB with good legs is flushed out, sees nothing open and runs for 5 yards. Longwell comes out and makes 50 yard field goal and Vikings go to the Super Bowl.
Playing through pain makes sense for some positions. It makes no frikkin sense for QB. As playing at lest then you best means the enitire team is playing at less then thier best.
I see what you mean.

But, Ponder is not RG Knee out there to shorten his career to 5 years. A scratch one hour before the game is a wuss-out.

Listing Ponder as probable.....then letting him do two series before going to a surprise in Webb might've worked better.

I'm not saying he should have gone in for the duration. I'm saying he needed to be a leader and START! Then he can throw a few wobblers and grimace in pain and exit.

Standing in civvies or a hoodie on the sidelines with an owwie does not inspire.

Stabler played on bad knees starting in college. And Favre, yes Favre, 313..........

Its about leadership. Toughness. Going a little farther for your teammates. Ronnie Lott losing part of a finger to stay in the game. Youngblood playing with broken bones. Even Terrel Owens getting stainless steel screws in his leg to play in the SuperBowl.

Yorktown, VA

#91 Jan 11, 2013
Harry, let's look at it another way. Frazier see's his QB whack an elbow on a helmet the previous week. QB comes n with bruised and stiff arm and coach smartly keeps him out of practice. By keeping him out of practice he does have to put an injury report out he listed Ponder as questionable. That's the 50/50 guess when it comes to injury. Now it's game day and Ponder after not throwing all week tries to throw and can't. Coach sees that and Frazier, not Ponder, makes the decision to inactivate him. It wasn't Ponder being a wuss it was Frazier making an assessment that a player couldn't play.

What if the coach would have been Shanahan? He leaves Ponder in who tries to throw and does real damage to his arm. I don't agree with Frazier on lots of things but I do agree he made right decision to not have Ponder suit up. Not good for Ponder and not good for the team if he did.

Yorktown, VA

#92 Jan 11, 2013
Did some research and Ponder's injury was called everything from contusion (bruising) to bursitis. As someone who has had shoulder bursitis I know what that can do to movement. Some news sources say Ponder had bursitis in his right elbow when a senior at Florda State and had it drained a couple times.

Well shiiiittttt, doesn't that just make things different. He injured an elbow that has a history of bursitis. This can't bode well for his long term ability. It might also explain some lack of arm strength as even minor swelling in the elbow won't allow for a full throwing motion.

Bottom line - Vikings need to build a stronger bullpen at QB.

Yorktown, VA

#93 Jan 11, 2013
Stubby wrote:
..... Now it's game day and Ponder after not throwing all week tries to throw and can't. Coach sees that and Frazier, not Ponder, makes the decision to inactivate him..........
Forgot to add something. Ponder reportedly couldn't throw longer than 10 yards. As it turns out neither could Joe Webb.
Procynic

Pensacola, FL

#94 Jan 11, 2013
Stubby wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgot to add something. Ponder reportedly couldn't throw longer than 10 yards. As it turns out neither could Joe Webb.
Oh I dont know Stubby, that throw he made straight up into the air as he was getting sacked looked like it went at least 15 yards vertically.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#95 Jan 11, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Did some research and Ponder's injury was called everything from contusion (bruising) to bursitis. As someone who has had shoulder bursitis I know what that can do to movement. Some news sources say Ponder had bursitis in his right elbow when a senior at Florda State and had it drained a couple times.
Well shiiiittttt, doesn't that just make things different. He injured an elbow that has a history of bursitis. This can't bode well for his long term ability. It might also explain some lack of arm strength as even minor swelling in the elbow won't allow for a full throwing motion.
Bottom line - Vikings need to build a stronger bullpen at QB.
Glass! Just like Atlanta's Chandler!

And I cannot recall a QB in college or the pros that got scratched last-minute for sore triceps. It was handled poorly.
AND no bullpen. You are correct.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#96 Jan 11, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Harry, let's look at it another way. Frazier see's his QB whack an elbow on a helmet the previous week. QB comes n with bruised and stiff arm and coach smartly keeps him out of practice. By keeping him out of practice he does have to put an injury report out he listed Ponder as questionable. That's the 50/50 guess when it comes to injury. Now it's game day and Ponder after not throwing all week tries to throw and can't. Coach sees that and Frazier, not Ponder, makes the decision to inactivate him. It wasn't Ponder being a wuss it was Frazier making an assessment that a player couldn't play.
What if the coach would have been Shanahan? He leaves Ponder in who tries to throw and does real damage to his arm. I don't agree with Frazier on lots of things but I do agree he made right decision to not have Ponder suit up. Not good for Ponder and not good for the team if he did.
Rumor has it the Packers prepped for Webb all week.

Yorktown, VA

#97 Jan 12, 2013
Procynic wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I dont know Stubby, that throw he made straight up into the air as he was getting sacked looked like it went at least 15 yards vertically.
That is funny and sad at the same time.

Since: Dec 06

Davenport, FL

#98 Jan 12, 2013
Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
And I cannot recall a QB in college or the pros that got scratched last-minute for sore triceps. It was handled poorly.
Well he did beat the mighty 98 team,then the S.B.

Minneapolis

#99 Jan 12, 2013
How is this news on ponder's injury history, including the elbow. We all know this and the only season in college of ponder's where he looked decent was the junior year, when his arm was fine. I would think, anyway.
Bottom line is we are married to Ponder at least one more year. 10 wins year two with a four game winning streak to get into the post-season? Braintrust isn't changing what isn't broken and Ponder did what Frazier wanted.

Yorktown, VA

#100 Jan 12, 2013
Harry wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of QBs have been scratched with injury to throwing arm. Doesn't matter if it was tricep, thumb, elbow, or shoulder. It's because injury is to THROWING arm.

tell you what. Ask a buddy to take a 3 lb sledge and whack you in the tricep just behind the elbow. Then wait a couple days for to swelling and stiffness to set in. Next go try and throw a ball. You'll get the picture.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#101 Jan 12, 2013
Childress wrote:
<quoted text>Well he did beat the mighty 98 team,then the S.B.
Lost the SuperBowl. Doesn't count. 44 year old Elway won it.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#102 Jan 12, 2013
Stubby wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of QBs have been scratched with injury to throwing arm. Doesn't matter if it was tricep, thumb, elbow, or shoulder. It's because injury is to THROWING arm.
tell you what. Ask a buddy to take a 3 lb sledge and whack you in the tricep just behind the elbow. Then wait a couple days for to swelling and stiffness to set in. Next go try and throw a ball. You'll get the picture.
And AGAIN.....still should've started, handed off 12 straight times, grimaced in pain, and let Green Bay deal with Webb or Alphabet.

Toughness. Leadership. Going the extra foot. And Ponder had stretches this season where he was horrible. He was lucky to be near a playoff game. And he may never see one again. Next time he might rub some dirt on his arm and get in there.

Oh, and I don't think a buddy hit Ponder's arm with a sledge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Preseason Trends 2 hr Stubby 14
Minnesota Vikings vs. Tennessee Titans: Live Sc... 9 hr viking nation 10
5 Worst Teams In NFL Heading Into 2014 Season Thu Flatulence Fred 21
Minnesota Vikings Final Preseason Game Is For T... Thu Spielman 2
Teddy Bridgewater vs. Matt Cassel, who starts Wed Magnum Man II 28
Tom Powers: Vikings' offense apparently was bet... Aug 27 Training Camp News 6
Minnesota Vikings 2014 Season Preview Aug 27 Spielman 12
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000