Geno Smith to Minnesota? NFL Mock Dra...

Geno Smith to Minnesota? NFL Mock Draft 1.0 Picks 21-25

There are 28 comments on the NFLSpinZone story from Apr 11, 2013, titled Geno Smith to Minnesota? NFL Mock Draft 1.0 Picks 21-25. In it, NFLSpinZone reports that:

Eddie Lacy a potential full time feature back in the NFL headlines the RB class and is still on the board for the Bengals here.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NFLSpinZone.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“FORUMS LONGEST POSTING MEMBER ”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#1 Apr 11, 2013
I wouldn't be upset with this. I've said it 100 times I don't think Christian Ponder is a NFL starting QB. we are building a good team. Lets do a Shanahan. Have two young QB's and may the best man win.

It's doesn't have to be Smith, he will be gone when we pick.
EJ Manuel has Webb athleticism and throws better than Ponder.
College career

Freshman season
Manuel took over for an injured Christian Ponder as the 4-5 Seminoles

Sophomore season

Manuel started twice in the 2010 season for Christian Ponder, who battled a nagging forearm injury.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Manuel#Co...

Manuel's college career was subbing for injury prone Ponder.

Location hidden

#2 Apr 11, 2013
It's hard for me to believe Frazier, Spielman who are building a good young team would depend on a injury prone QB who puts their jobs on the line.

Cassel is not the answer either.
GBPmies

Finland

#4 Apr 11, 2013
Avant wrote:
I wouldn't be upset with this. I've said it 100 times I don't think Christian Ponder is a NFL starting QB. we are building a good team. Lets do a Shanahan. Have two young QB's and may the best man win.
It's doesn't have to be Smith, he will be gone when we pick.
EJ Manuel has Webb athleticism and throws better than Ponder.
College career
Freshman season
Manuel took over for an injured Christian Ponder as the 4-5 Seminoles
Sophomore season
Manuel started twice in the 2010 season for Christian Ponder, who battled a nagging forearm injury.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Manuel#Co...
Manuel's college career was subbing for injury prone Ponder.
You wouldn't be upset? Really? WOW!!! what a suprise!!

Quoting Avant-
"Geno Smith is the closes I have seen to Dan Marino in all my years of scouting QB's. Last year I said Matt Barkley was the best QB in college football. I was wrong Geno Smith is. "

It would be a real suprise for the "next Dan Marino" to fall in the draft all the way to the Vikings (unless you are now saying he is not the next Dan Marino and your scouting of Smith and Barkley sucked) but maybe he does drop- Rodgers fell to the Packers and some thought he might go #1.

Location hidden

#5 Apr 11, 2013
Just looking to make my team better.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#6 Apr 11, 2013
If Ponder wasn't injury prone I don't think anyone of the QBs in this draft class is much better then Ponder & thats why I think if the vikes are going to pick a QB in this draft it would be in the later rounds 4th or 5th, there are just to many other needs. I think so far Spielman has kept to his word of Ponder being their guy & how they are going to build around him to make him & the team better & so far he has done that by getting Kalil & building a solid front line. maybe if Smith or E.J. was there the vikes may chance it on one of them but I can't see them moving up to get anyone of these QBs in this draft.
Zac

Lincoln, NE

#7 Apr 11, 2013
I'm a little surprised at the criticism given the QB's of this class by the "pundits." I mean, come on, folks. We've seen Barkley & Smith at their best; we've seen them at their worst.(Well golly gee, I guess they're human after all.) Tyler Wilson, that injury in the first game didn't help; sub-standard line play was no help either. As for E.J., he's got all the tools: size, vision, accuracy, mobility. Put any of these guys in the right system and you've got a winner.

Smith, especially, has put up and his numbers (I'm talking off-season.) have essentially told everybody to shut up. He was terrific in the combine, outstanding at his pro-days, and every visit he's left them behind shaking their heads as to why they should bother picking anyone else.

He's arguably not a Top-10 pick, but he's a 1st rounder. The others could make a case for the same. They'll be bargains if they're still available in the late 2nd or early 3rd rounds.

The individual who surprises me as far as being unappreciated is WVU's, Stedman Baily. The friggen guy has caught practically everything thrown at him over the past two seasons, and that doesn't include all the TD's.

I'll tell you all what will happen in this year's draft. That which we all least expect. Enjoy!!!
GBPmies

Finland

#8 Apr 12, 2013
Avant wrote:
Just looking to make my team better.
Just lookin for your foot to enter your mouth on the Geno Smith is the “next Dan Marino" statement you made :)

Why am I not surprised you shy away from this discussion... kinda weird for self-proclaimed QB Guru/Scout isn't it?

Just out of curiosity- Since nobody expects Geno Smith to be the “next Dan Marino” now, who do think he compares most to? TJax or Culpepper? ;)
I know you were a huge fan of both of those guys....
Zac

Lincoln, NE

#9 Apr 12, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
Just lookin for your foot to enter your mouth on the Geno Smith is the “next Dan Marino" statement you made :)
Why am I not surprised you shy away from this discussion... kinda weird for self-proclaimed QB Guru/Scout isn't it?
Just out of curiosity- Since nobody expects Geno Smith to be the “next Dan Marino” now, who do think he compares most to? TJax or Culpepper? ;)
I agree with you; definitely not the next Dan Marino. I see him more as a Donavon McNabb with a stronger passing side and a slightly weaker running side. JMHO...

Location hidden

#10 Apr 12, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never wavered on my thoughts about the next Marino with athleticism. I'm sure you agree he will be better than our injury prone inconsistent QB who is in his make or break year. Geno Smith is going to be one of the avalanche of athletic good young QB's who are now taking over the league.

I was a Matt Barkley fan until I saw which way the wind is blowing on NFL QB's. Dual threat QBs are the way the league is going.

Location hidden

#11 Apr 12, 2013
Zac wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you; definitely not the next Dan Marino. I see him more as a Donavon McNabb with a stronger passing side and a slightly weaker running side. JMHO...
Donavon McNabb was more successful than any QB we ever had.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#13 Apr 12, 2013
Are you kidding me?Theres no way the Vikes will spend one of their early picks on QB.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#14 Apr 12, 2013
Avant wrote:
<quoted text>Donavon McNabb was more successful than any QB we ever had.
No way, what about Fran Tarkenton taking the Vikings to 3 super bowls along with 6 NFC central division championships He was also 1975 MVP & named pro bowl MVP in 1975 also he was in 9 Pro Bowls. I like Mcnabb but he took his team to one super bowl & was in 6 pro bowls

Location hidden

#15 Apr 13, 2013
viking nation wrote:
<quoted text>No way, what about Fran Tarkenton taking the Vikings to 3 super bowls along with 6 NFC central division championships He was also 1975 MVP & named pro bowl MVP in 1975 also he was in 9 Pro Bowls. I like Mcnabb but he took his team to one super bowl & was in 6 pro bowls
I stand corrected other than Tarkenton 35 years ago McNabb is better than any QB we ever had.
GBPmies

Helsinki, Finland

#16 Apr 13, 2013
Avant wrote:
<quoted text>I've never wavered on my thoughts about the next Marino with athleticism. I'm sure you agree he will be better than our injury prone inconsistent QB who is in his make or break year. Geno Smith is going to be one of the avalanche of athletic good young QB's who are now taking over the league.
I was a Matt Barkley fan until I saw which way the wind is blowing on NFL QB's. Dual threat QBs are the way the league is going.
Ok, so all of the years you have been "scouting" Geno Smith is the most closest thing to Dan Marino you have ever seen? That is just silly.

You are free to hold that opinion, but if anyone thought Geno Smith was the next Dan Marino he would probably go #1 without question. Do you think he should be the #1 pick?

Location hidden

#17 Apr 13, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so all of the years you have been "scouting" Geno Smith is the most closest thing to Dan Marino you have ever seen? That is just silly.
You are free to hold that opinion, but if anyone thought Geno Smith was the next Dan Marino he would probably go #1 without question. Do you think he should be the #1 pick?
Why won't you answer my question? Who will be the better NFL QB Ponder or Smith? You know my opinion. Smith is going to be an all star. Ponder is going to get hurt.

We should get 3 starters out of this draft at some point soon we are going to be a QB away from the super bowl.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#18 Apr 13, 2013
Dan Marino was the 6th QB selected in 1983, getting drafted 27th.

Minneapolis

#20 Apr 13, 2013
Not a Geno Smith fan; don't see him available at 23. No chance vikes take him, imo, or any QB. Spielman is very stubborn when trying to show his brilliance.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#21 Apr 13, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
Not a Geno Smith fan; don't see him available at 23. No chance vikes take him, imo, or any QB. Spielman is very stubborn when trying to show his brilliance.
vikes dont need another qb anyways

Minneapolis

#22 Apr 13, 2013
dano2020 wrote:
<quoted text> vikes dont need another qb anyways
This will be the year that is determined. Hope u r right.
GBPmies

Finland

#23 Apr 14, 2013
Avant wrote:
<quoted text>Why won't you answer my question? Who will be the better NFL QB Ponder or Smith? You know my opinion. Smith is going to be an all star. Ponder is going to get hurt.
We should get 3 starters out of this draft at some point soon we are going to be a QB away from the super bowl.
Why won't I answer your question? WTF? You didn't ask me a question!

Did you want to ask me ... Who do I think will be better, Smith or Ponder? Probably Smith but that who knows, doesn't make him the next Dan Marino like you try clame he will be. You stared this post be saying you "would mind" if the VIkes drafted Smith in the first, you sould say you would "cream your pants" if the drafted him, after all you think he is the next Dan Marino...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time to play 3 hr Purple Faithful 4
***Vikings/Cowboys*** Dec 1 Purple Faithful 14
Coach Z on IR? Nov 30 Magnum Man II 1
***Vikings/Lions, and Thanksgiving*** Nov 28 Magnum Man II 11
News Running back Bishop Sankey signed to Minnesota ... Nov 28 Stubby 2
Cardinals @ Vikings Nov 24 Purple Faithful 20
News Vikings cut struggling kicker Blair Walsh Nov 20 Hacksaw Smithers 2
More from around the web