San Francisco 49ers: Will Greg Roman Finally Earn a Head Coaching Job?
As the aftershocks from the headlines of "Black Monday" continue to roll out, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman could soon find himself on his way out of town in a different light.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.
#1 Jan 2, 2014
Top 10 Things You Didnít Know About Greg Roman & Why Heís The #1 Choice
1. Integrity. Greg Roman has an understanding of the historical impact The NFL has on the American culture and will protect the integrity of the game with players of high character. He will lead by example. One example of this has been his work with children with special needs. Through the inspiration, love, and encouragement from his brother Matthew Greg founded Project Hope almost 20 years ago. Maybe not important to fans, but important to ownership.
2. Fully committed, focused, and a risk taker: When Greg graduated from John Carroll University. He packed up an old beat up Bronco II and drove to Charlotte, North Carolina and showed up on the doorstep of a newly formed NFL Franchise known as The Carolina Panthers. He volunteered to do any job FOR FREE. He did everything from mopping the floor of the weight room, to making coffee runs, to breaking down film. He slept on the floor or couch if one was available. When he was able to rent a small apartment he lived there without electricity because he couldnít afford the bill. I believe he made less than $12,000 that first year and about $18,000 the second year. He worked 70-80 hours a week. Thatís the type of guy you can entrust a franchise to because he understands the value of the position.
3. Greg Roman has deep NFL roots that trace back to Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, and Bill Walsh to name a few.
4. The Paul Brown connection: His uncle, Jack Clary, was in the front office with Paul Brown. Jack Clary is an accomplished author writing over 50 hard cover books about athletics and the impact on American Society. A few notables are writing The Paul Brown Story, Vince Lombardi: The Coach for All Seasons, & History of Navy Football.
5. Lombardi connection: Jack Clary and Vince Lombardi are Fordham University Hall of Famers, were friends, and knew that Football is about the making of men.
6. Don Shula: Can you name the university Don Shula attended? Hint itís the same one Greg Roman attended. John Carroll University is a place where leaders are made. These are some of Gregís teammates from John Carroll University. Once again, these are teammates not just mere fellow graduates.
a. Tommy Telesco GM, Chargers
b. Dave Caldwell GM, Jaguars
c. Josh McDaniels OC, Patriots
d. Nick Caserio Director of Player Personnel, Patriots
e. Brian Polian HC, University of Nevada
f. Chris Polian Director of Player Personnel, Jaguars
7. Walsh connection: Greg became acquainted with Bill Walsh several years ago, but even more so when Greg was George Siefertís most trusted assistant at Carolina. When a Head Coach is hired he rarely retains assistants, but Greg was the ONLY assistant retained when Siefert took over for Dom Capers. Fans donít understand what a huge statement that says about Greg Roman.
8. Preparation: Greg learned about preparation as a NCAA standout defensive tackle, but thatís not all. In 1989 Greg was a ball boy for Super Bowl XXIII (49íers vs. Bengals), & thatís when he learned about Murphyís Law. The night before the game Stanley Wilson partied so hard that he was passed out in the locker room bathroom. Wilson was supposed to be The X-Factor. The entire offensive game plan revolved around Stanley Wilson. We all know what happened next, but thatís when Greg Roman learned to prepare for every and any scenario.
9. Intelligent Ė 3.8 gpa on a 4.0 scale in college. John Carroll University is an esteemed Jesuit University with high academic standards.
10. Understands a football team needs to be a family unit with core values of integrity, character, & discipline. Gregís mother, Carol, raised all 3 boys on her own working as a Catholic School Teacher. The boys were raised under strict guidance & discipline furthered by the years Greg spent working with Dr. Ken Leistner. Dr. Ken is a huge part of Gregís story and their relationship is one of Loyalty, Love, and Discipline. The Dr. Ken stories are legendary.
Add your comments below
|Vikings Draft Day||Sat||SFB phart||36|
|New England Patriots again projected to lead NF...||May 1||SFB phartx||2|
|Vikings GM: Bridgewater's status still being de... (Nov '17)||Apr '18||Pull Fart Finger||10|
|Vikings re-sign kicker Kai Forbath after strong...||Apr '18||Pull Fart Finger||81|
|Former Giants receiver Tavarres King signs with...||Apr '18||Magnum Man II||1|
|Why do the Vikings suck so much balls? (May '17)||Apr '18||SFB phart||48|
|Onto the draft..........||Apr '18||SFB phart||14|
Find what you want!
Search Minnesota Vikings Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC