2014 NFL Mock Draft: Derek Carr to th...

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Derek Carr to the Minnesota Vikings, great fit

There are 9 comments on the NFLSpinZone story from Jan 9, 2014, titled 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Derek Carr to the Minnesota Vikings, great fit. In it, NFLSpinZone reports that:

Fresno State Bulldogs quarterback Derek Carr throws a pass against the Southern California Trojans in the Las Vegas Bowl at Sam Boyd Stadium.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NFLSpinZone.

“clemens for president '20”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#1 Jan 10, 2014
Why not get a top receiver at 8 (Lee or Watkins).........bring Jennings back and along with Rudolph, AP, and a dynamic player like Patterson.......who will continue to improve in the passing game..........surround Cassel with some speed and playmaking ability to make his job easier..........better to grab a sure talent then roll the dice and hit snake eyes again....aka Ponder..........take the sure money and continue to look for a franchise QB..........maybe next draft..........just sayin'.........it's one scenario..........
Hammer

Sartell, MN

#2 Jan 10, 2014
Agreed! Could get Zack Mettenberg (LSU) or David Fales San Jose) in 2nd round. Let him develop for half a season behind Cassell.

Erie

#3 Jan 10, 2014
Vikes have been way too one dimensional in recent years..........built too much around AP..........it's a passing league and they need quality AND depth at the WR position in order to be a dual threat AND KEEP UP WITH THE ELITE teams in the league..........

Erie

#4 Jan 10, 2014
That being said they need a quality QB as well..........franchise would be a better term.........look at the teams left in the playoffs right now,,,,,,,,,,all these QB's are top 10..........it is truly a QB league..........defenses do not win championships anymore..........potent offenses do..........
viking nation

Madera, CA

#5 Jan 10, 2014
Yes it is true that teams are winning with a good offense like Denver & their D is near bottom of the NFL. But then there are teams like 49ers that are winning with a solid D. The Vikings D lost around 5 games that would have won them the division this year. You got to have some kind of balance on your D We all seen the Packers offense & yes they didn't score as much this year as last, However they still had one of the top offenses this year up to the time Aaron was hurt. It was the Packers D that didn't keep teams from scoring when they needed it most.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#6 Jan 10, 2014
This is one of my Mock drafts I will make up one more later on. 1. first pick Johnny Manziel Some has him going to the Browns But the Browns have Hoyer A lot of his INTs was due to a bad front line & Manziel brings a lot of attitude & whoever picks him got to be willing to deal with that. I think the Browns go with Carr if they use their first pick on a QB at all. I think the Browns use their second first round pick on a QB. Pick 2 Daniel McCullers, Defensive Tackle, Tennessee 6'8" 360 pounds. Some has him projected to go in the round 3 to 4 but he is just to good to go in them later rounds. McCullers is a beast of a man who demands double teams and is unblockable at times in the middle of the defensive line he is a force in the running game and collapses the pocket with a surprising quick burst. Pick 3 CB Terrance Mitchell 6 ft. 190 lbs. led the team with five interceptions and seven pass breakups this season. In three seasons as a starter, Mitchell had a total of seven interceptions and 25 pass breakups. Vikes second pick 3 Sam Michael OLB that can play MLB because of his size. at 6ft.2 255 lbs. Michael's can also line up as a DE. This year Michael had 18 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks He is a much needed versatile player. Pick 4 TE Joe Don Duncan brother of Jake Duncan, 6ft3 267lbs 2013 Duncan had a team high with 71 grabs for 1,045 yards with 13 touchdowns. Duncan has soft hands & can block on run plays, Good solid player. Pick 5 Dri Archer, Running Back/ Wide Receiver from Kent state. Dri is scary explosive and should be viewed as a Tavon Austin esk, given his 4.3 40 time and his ability to take it to the house on any given play. He can be used as a versatile chess piece lined up at multiple positions in the backfield and as a receiver much like Percy Harvin was used (well, how he was supposed to be used anyway:) Pick 6 Isaiah Lewis 5ft10 1/2 208lbs Lewis is a solid player & is always around the ball.Lewis is solid on run support & will diagnoses a play fast. In coverage, he can play man to man or roam. He has excellent timing as a blitzer. Pick 7 OT/OG Austin Wentworth Fresno State 6ft5 306lbs Good on passing plays or run. Wentworth helped quarterback Derek Carr throw for a Mountain West record 4,104 passing yards and Carr has become the most accurate passer in school history behind a solid line anchored by Wentworth.

Erie

#7 Jan 11, 2014
Yes perhaps I was a bit bold in my statement about D=fences not winning championships..........Carolin a, Seattle, SF, nad even New Orleans all have formidable D=fences..........I guess my point was simply you have to be able to put up ample numbers on O anymore to compete deep into the playoffs..........

Erie

#8 Jan 11, 2014
There has clearly been a paradigm shift where now great offenses and average Defenses will get you a SB win..........whereas for years, it was generally the other way around..........
viking nation

Madera, CA

#9 Jan 11, 2014
I agree its a passing game for sure , I think at some point the D has got to get the other teams offense off the field or your going to lose the game. Denver's defense had 17 INTs & 41 sacks With 15 forced fumbles. They forced a lot of turnovers Giving the ball back to Manning. This is how he got his record breaking season. The Seahawks D look at what it's doing to the Saints high power offense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aaron Rogers.... 5 hr Magnum Man II 1
Adrian Peterson Mon SFB Field Phart 21
Kap wit the pack - now there is something funny Mon SFB Field Phart 3
This weeks Packers/Vikings predictions Sun SFB Field Phart 8
News The recruitment of Case Keenum: How the Vikings... Sun SFB Field Phart 3
Cam Newton Oct 14 SFB Field Phartss 4
News Kirk Cousins to the Minnesota Vikings in 2018? ... Oct 12 SFB Field Phart 3
More from around the web