A place to chat

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#21 Mar 1, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Can we leave Purple Faithful out of the loop too. Just kidding. He may be DT draft crazy but at least he's not just plain old crazy.
lol :) Not thinking DT down where we are drafting. I think we are too low to be able to land a premier DT. Last year's super bowl had Justin Smith and Hali Ngata as DT's that would have looked good in purple. At LT, there were no top 5 picks. I believe you are familiar with the LT who left with a ring, Bryant McKinney. Maybe you can explain, again, how the Vikings are better off cutting a super bowl winning quality left tackle in order to spend a top 5 pick on the position? I always get confused on that.

;)
GBPmies

Finland

#22 Mar 1, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>lol :) Not thinking DT down where we are drafting. I think we are too low to be able to land a premier DT. Last year's super bowl had Justin Smith and Hali Ngata as DT's that would have looked good in purple. At LT, there were no top 5 picks. I believe you are familiar with the LT who left with a ring, Bryant McKinney. Maybe you can explain, again, how the Vikings are better off cutting a super bowl winning quality left tackle in order to spend a top 5 pick on the position? I always get confused on that.
;)
I bet you get confused on a lot of things when it comes to football.
Kalil was one of the best LTs last year in a division filled with tough pass rushers. I doubt they make the playoffs without him!

Besides McKinney was crap, worse than crap, with the Vikings, he never once came close to the type of play he showed last year with the Ravens. Maybe it comes down to his change in coaching but sending McKinney packing at the time was the right call.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#23 Mar 1, 2013
Kalil left USC and Barkley got pummeled so bad they finished out of the ranking. Meanwhile Kalil joins the Vikings and they turn around from 3 wins to 10 wins.

Double McCheese was hurt then benched and din't get back in the starting lineup until final week of the season when the LG got hurt and they had to reshuffle the entire line. The benching finally woke him up and he got up off his fat ass and worked out, finally getting down to a reasonable weight.

How would the Vikigns have fared with McKinnie sitting on the bench and Charlie Johnson still at LT? Repeat of 2011?

“VIKINGS, NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#24 Mar 1, 2013
Childress wrote:
To the forum guys who don't want Avant and Viking nation,I have a solution.It's simple and sweet.
Let me know if your interested.I can leave the plan in a private email in your profile section.
Then I can check this site on occassion and pull others in,who may have missed this header.
These 2 are not Forum topix/Viking material.
Got the email Rick. THANKS!!
Funny, the Pixie Boy lists the wrong site. LOL. Is that guy EVER right?

Minneapolis

#25 Mar 1, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you get confused on a lot of things when it comes to football.
Kalil was one of the best LTs last year in a division filled with tough pass rushers. I doubt they make the playoffs without him!
Besides McKinney was crap, worse than crap, with the Vikings, he never once came close to the type of play he showed last year with the Ravens. Maybe it comes down to his change in coaching but sending McKinney packing at the time was the right call.
lol, you are clueless. As a rookie, Kalil gave up 5.5 sacks. as a rookie, McKinney gave up 4.75 sacks. To keep it in perspective, guess how many sacks Joe Thomas has given up for his career?(one of the best, lol)

Last year, the Vikings played a last place schedule and finished with the 31st ranked passing attack, down from 28th. The Vikings return game is the difference for them last year. Return TD's - 5 of them, resulting in wins, with the last place schedule and an MVP performance from a running back (happens all the time, right? next year is a lock).

Do some research before playing with the big guys or just read and learn.

Minneapolis

#26 Mar 1, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Kalil left USC and Barkley got pummeled so bad they finished out of the ranking. Meanwhile Kalil joins the Vikings and they turn around from 3 wins to 10 wins.
Double McCheese was hurt then benched and din't get back in the starting lineup until final week of the season when the LG got hurt and they had to reshuffle the entire line. The benching finally woke him up and he got up off his fat ass and worked out, finally getting down to a reasonable weight.
How would the Vikigns have fared with McKinnie sitting on the bench and Charlie Johnson still at LT? Repeat of 2011?
I don't know. CJ gave up 7 sacks with a middle of the road schedule and Kalil gave up 5.5 sacks in the past two season as the Vikings left tackle. I guess if Kalil only gives up 4 sacks next year, we can expect a perfect season! haha!

Yorktown, VA

#27 Mar 2, 2013
You have to look beyond the stats and actually watch the game. I watched every game and only one sack was on Kalil. The rest was Ponder moving away from protection into the sack. Stats Inc may be the official site for the NFL but it doesn't mean they are right. Often sack allowed is given to the nearest OL even if the D player burned past someone on the other side of the line.

According to Stats Inc Kalil allowed more sacks than any other lineman. Does anyone who actually watched the games believe Kalil gave up more sacks than Loadholt and Fusco. The right side was terrible and stats inc accuracy is terrble.

Try and justify it all you want PF but a DT would not have been a better choice than Kalil. You were wrong then and still wrong today.
GBPmies

Finland

#28 Mar 2, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>lol, you are clueless. As a rookie, Kalil gave up 5.5 sacks. as a rookie, McKinney gave up 4.75 sacks. To keep it in perspective, guess how many sacks Joe Thomas has given up for his career?(one of the best, lol)
Last year, the Vikings played a last place schedule and finished with the 31st ranked passing attack, down from 28th. The Vikings return game is the difference for them last year. Return TD's - 5 of them, resulting in wins, with the last place schedule and an MVP performance from a running back (happens all the time, right? next year is a lock).
Do some research before playing with the big guys or just read and learn.
"playing with the big guys" LMFAO! You are a “big guy”? With those tiny stats? Big Guy? Please!

Your silly stats don’t mean jacksh**. Go check the OL rankings . You are talking < 1 sack and look who Kalil battles; Kalil faces some of the toughest pass rushers in the NFL!
You wanted WR Blackman! Show me his stats for last year “big guy”! He sucked, and already has problems!
Kalil will be one of the best LTs for the next 10 yrs! LT is the hardest position to find. WRs come and go. McKinney never was and never will be one of the best! Besides without Kalil Johnson would be the Vikes LT, who would be the guard then? Johnson played great at LG which couldn't happen without Kalil at LT. Johnson also sucked at LT with the Vikes! No F’n way AD runs like he did without Kalil at LT and Johnson at LG. Try and see the big picture,“big guy”

Kalil was the best pick, and you might be the only self-proclaimed " BIG BOY" to think otherwise. In short, I think you don't know sh*t and you will never find anyone to agree with that stupidity you are spewing! Big guy!

Yorktown, VA

#29 Mar 2, 2013
I just choked on my beer from laughing at this.

Minneapolis

#30 Mar 2, 2013
Stubby wrote:
You have to look beyond the stats and actually watch the game. I watched every game and only one sack was on Kalil. The rest was Ponder moving away from protection into the sack. Stats Inc may be the official site for the NFL but it doesn't mean they are right. Often sack allowed is given to the nearest OL even if the D player burned past someone on the other side of the line.
According to Stats Inc Kalil allowed more sacks than any other lineman. Does anyone who actually watched the games believe Kalil gave up more sacks than Loadholt and Fusco. The right side was terrible and stats inc accuracy is terrble.
Try and justify it all you want PF but a DT would not have been a better choice than Kalil. You were wrong then and still wrong today.
Kalil is a decent tackle. So what. The Viking pass game was worse with Kalil than it was without Kalil. By everyone's measure. That is because left tackle is not as important as the clueless wish it was. Providing better protection against one pass rusher is not that important - you can blitz fusco or loadholdt. you can throw to a hot read. you can make quick decisions. you can have a roethlesberger who can take hits. You have no basis, proof, statistics, etc. to claim LT does have importance, just feelings and statements from others who have no basis. You only have an emotional, chick-type argument you and the rest can make when you say left tackle is as important as you claim. The super bowl winner almost always has a DT who plays great, the super bowl winner almost never has a left tackle that plays great. I just don't get how anyone who has a clue can argue otherwise. Unless you think McKinney is better than Ngota?

Minneapolis

#31 Mar 2, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
"playing with the big guys" LMFAO! You are a “big guy”? With those tiny stats? Big Guy? Please!
Your silly stats don’t mean jacksh**. Go check the OL rankings . You are talking < 1 sack and look who Kalil battles; Kalil faces some of the toughest pass rushers in the NFL!
You wanted WR Blackman! Show me his stats for last year “big guy”! He sucked, and already has problems!
Kalil will be one of the best LTs for the next 10 yrs! LT is the hardest position to find. WRs come and go. McKinney never was and never will be one of the best! Besides without Kalil Johnson would be the Vikes LT, who would be the guard then? Johnson played great at LG which couldn't happen without Kalil at LT. Johnson also sucked at LT with the Vikes! No F’n way AD runs like he did without Kalil at LT and Johnson at LG. Try and see the big picture,“big guy”
Kalil was the best pick, and you might be the only self-proclaimed " BIG BOY" to think otherwise. In short, I think you don't know sh*t and you will never find anyone to agree with that stupidity you are spewing! Big guy!
You are still clueless. When have i said i wanted a WR? Please, show me where it matters if a team has the best left tackle over a ten year period? You make the argument of a B!tch. All emotion, no fact. Kalil is the best in ten years is what you feel, miss. It is not a fact. Just as Kalil faced a last place schedule with last place schedule pass rushers and had his worst games against Mathews and Peppers. Go show how having a top offensive line matters, if you think it does. Please actually offer a fact up, rather than your feelings.

Minneapolis

#32 Mar 2, 2013
Oh, if you insist on telling me who I wanted to draft was wrong, I guess i should let you know what I wanted in the draft.

1. RG3. Thought the vikings should have fired people for beating the redskins (and getting AD hurt) as then the only way to upgrade the vikings passer was to trade up (which I would have done and told the clowns who laughed at the idea the redskins could easily win the east).

2. Fletcher Cox, DT. He looked like a potential star, I thought the Vikes could trade way down, get him and with the bounty, take a round 2 tackle. a few of the rd 2 tackles played excellently last year, or the vikes could have addressed guard and gone free agent tackle.

3. Morris Claiborne, CB. While way down my list, I thought going claiborne in rd 1 and Harrison smith in rd 2 would win the vikes a lot of games.

Again, Kalil did not improve the vikings passing game - it got worse. I think you can develop offensive lines with later round picks easier than any position and I think the Vikes have lots of holes. extra picks from trade downs would have filled extra holes. Vikes were no threat to win the super bowl last year, no matter the heroics of AD and a few others.

Passing efficency is what matters (in terms of things you can try to draft for). how your QB throws averaged out verses the opposing QB. easiest way to look at it is your QB's YPA versus the opposing QB's YPA against your defense.

Minneapolis

#33 Mar 2, 2013
Off topic, but pretty interesting:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03...

More back on topic:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/...

McKinney was 13th, with a 95 in PFF's "sigstat" PBE (pass blocking efficency) for a 3 year average, better than Kalil was for just last year. But, to me, it doesn't really matter if Kalil becomes the next Joe Thomas (no chance, imo, but, again, irrelevant). As having a Joe Thomas or Jake Long, etc, does not help you win. They are expensive on the cap and the difference from elite to good is very minimal.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#34 Mar 2, 2013
Matthew 5:21-22
This is for Stubby “You have heard that it was said to those of old,‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#35 Mar 2, 2013
Matthew 5:43-48
“You have heard that it was said,‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?...
viking nation

Madera, CA

#36 Mar 2, 2013
Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord
viking nation

Madera, CA

#37 Mar 2, 2013
I think Purple Faithful makes some strong points But did you know Kalil has run through a formidable slate of pass rushers in his first season and has stood up to most of them. He kept San Francisco's Aldon Smith, threatening to break the NFL's single-season sack record, from touching Christian Ponder in Week 3. He held up against division foes Kyle Vanden Bosch and Julius Peppers twice, and he shut out Seattle's Chris Clemons in Week 9. also

Minneapolis

#38 Mar 2, 2013
viking nation wrote:
I think Purple Faithful makes some strong points But did you know Kalil has run through a formidable slate of pass rushers in his first season and has stood up to most of them. He kept San Francisco's Aldon Smith, threatening to break the NFL's single-season sack record, from touching Christian Ponder in Week 3. He held up against division foes Kyle Vanden Bosch and Julius Peppers twice, and he shut out Seattle's Chris Clemons in Week 9. also
Kalil is a good tackle. My point isn't that he is a stiff, my point is that drafting LT's in the top 5 is not a recipe for success. Offensive lines are a unit, one individual super star on the o-line does not matter and in today's NFL with salary caps, you need be careful and spend your resources where it does matter. Jake Long will be available as a free agent this year, that should help highlight the issue.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#39 Mar 3, 2013
I hold no ill will stubby what you say is not for me to judge. You will face you maker soon enough, you see gods word but yet choose not to listen. I guess some perfer hell's fire remember its your choice. beware of what you say.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#40 Mar 3, 2013
Kalil has did more for his team then any rookie DT did for theirs this year.So was Kalil a bad pick or should the Vikes have went after a DT, only time will tell but so far it favors kalil. I think if the Vikes went after a DT last year they would be looking for a LT this year & I dont think with the pick the vikes have this year they could have got a as good of a LT this year & Long would take to much of the vikes Cap to get him to sign. also theres a lot of DT this year that will go in the first & second round. all are solid players.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vikings Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2... 6 hr richard 1
Treadwell or Doctson You Decide 6 hr viking nation 36
Draft build up - 30 days and counting 7 hr Magnum Man II 89
News Vikings enter free agency wary of risk Apr 27 eric 5
PACKERS First game in U.S. Bank Stadium Apr 27 eric 2
News Vikings not worried about Walsh getting the yips Mar '16 Bleeds Purple 1
News AP source: Vikings get deal with ex-49ers guard... Mar '16 Bleeds Purple 1
More from around the web