Jaworski on Ponder

Since: Dec 06

Spring Hill, FL

#21 Jul 3, 2013
Dec 98.Vikings at Balt.I was there,as Cunningham left the field after warm ups,I was right above the tunnel.I yelled MVP,he looked right at me and smiled.

“FORUMS LONGEST POSTING MEMBER ”

Location hidden

#22 Jul 3, 2013
Childress wrote:
Dec 98.Vikings at Balt.I was there,as Cunningham left the field after warm ups,I was right above the tunnel.I yelled MVP,he looked right at me and smiled.
I'm waiting for you to say Mean Joe Greene tossed you his jersey after you gave him a drink.
GBPmies

Helsinki, Finland

#23 Jul 3, 2013
Childress wrote:
NFL Today show.
Loves the skill set,loves the Qb. in general.Like others,he would like to see Ponder do more this year and believes we now have the skill players for Ponder.
He wanted Ponder higher up the Qb list but wants to see it.
But he did say he "loves Ponders skill set".
You make it sound as Jaws likes POnder. He ranked him 27th of 32. He is more on what he said.

"The arrow is pointing upward as Ponder begins his third season as the Vikings starter.

"Ponder fits the profile so many are now talking about: the athletic movement quarterback who can beat you with his legs. Ponder is an opportunity runner, and he's shown the ability to burn some of the best defenses in the league.

"Ponder needs to make significant improvements as a pocket passer. Surprisingly, with Adrian Peterson in the backfield, he was not efficient off play-action. Ponder also had a tendency to be a beat late with his throws. At this point, he doesn't see the whole field with clarity and that led to too many throws into the teeth of the coverage.

"And he must execute versus the blitz much better than he did in 2012.

"You know what statistic really bothered me? Ponder had only 28 completions of 20 yards or more -- by far the fewest of any 16-game starter. I saw one in Week 17 that I really liked. It was a shot play, first-and-10 play-action out of base personnel.

"Overall, I like Ponder's skillset. He has plus arm strength with the ability to make every single throw. The Vikings have now provided Ponder with more weapons on the outside.[The 2013 season] is an important season for the third-year quarterback. It's time to play more consistently from the pocket. If Ponder does that, he could well be in my top 20 next year."
viking nation

Madera, CA

#24 Jul 3, 2013
Dilfer and Johnson both won a super bowl & they was a game manger. Them that say a game manger can't win a super bowl knows nothing! Ponder's has good short yard accuracy & in case some dont know it by now The Vikings play a west coast offense that is made up of short yard passes. Wouldn't you want a QB that has a high short yard average if your team is using a west coast offense? Ponder wasn't efficient off play-action on throws 15 yards & over, He was efficient off play-action on throws 4 to 10 yards & Harvin being the leading receiver was the proof of that. It was after Harvin was hurt that the play action pass wasn't efficient because there was no respect for the vikes other receivers & with good reason I might add.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#25 Jul 3, 2013
The Ravens & Buccaneers both won a super bowl with a QB that was a game manager. Their teams was built around a strong defense to hold onto the lead. Just as the Vikings defense now. The Vikes defense is built to win games.( a QB like Brady isn't always needed. Im not saying I wouldn't like someone like that but as long as the QB can be a game manager & put the Vikes in a early lead the Vikes strong defense can do their job & hold on for the win.

Spring Hill, FL

#26 Jul 3, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
You make it sound as Jaws likes POnder. He ranked him 27th of 32. He is more on what he said.
"The arrow is pointing upward as Ponder begins his third season as the Vikings starter.
"Ponder fits the profile so many are now talking about: the athletic movement quarterback who can beat you with his legs. Ponder is an opportunity runner, and he's shown the ability to burn some of the best defenses in the league.
"Ponder needs to make significant improvements as a pocket passer. Surprisingly, with Adrian Peterson in the backfield, he was not efficient off play-action. Ponder also had a tendency to be a beat late with his throws. At this point, he doesn't see the whole field with clarity and that led to too many throws into the teeth of the coverage.
"And he must execute versus the blitz much better than he did in 2012.
"You know what statistic really bothered me? Ponder had only 28 completions of 20 yards or more -- by far the fewest of any 16-game starter. I saw one in Week 17 that I really liked. It was a shot play, first-and-10 play-action out of base personnel.
"Overall, I like Ponder's skillset. He has plus arm strength with the ability to make every single throw. The Vikings have now provided Ponder with more weapons on the outside.[The 2013 season] is an important season for the third-year quarterback. It's time to play more consistently from the pocket. If Ponder does that, he could well be in my top 20 next year."
Ponder is a young Qb,who has the skill set,is atheletic and can run and most importantly can make all the throws.Jaworski made those claims,and he also wanted him inside the top 20.He admitted the receivers were lacking last season.
I see Ponder haters and supporters.Time will tell,and it may take longer than this season.I can wait,in the meantime,I'm pretty sure everything has been beat to death.

Spring Hill, FL

#27 Jul 3, 2013
Avant wrote:
<quoted text>I'm waiting for you to say Mean Joe Greene tossed you his jersey after you gave him a drink.
BOOM.
You were destroyed in this thread.

Spring Hill, FL

#28 Jul 3, 2013
And on Ponder,he also said he has the arm strength.This flies in the face of what some Guru's have said.
Down goes Detroit
Down goes Detroit.
Next.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#29 Jul 5, 2013
Yep, Jaws says if Ponder improves in all the right areas, he might make top 20. High praise indeed.
-------
We'll see what ponder can accomplish, but quite obviously to me, Jaws is not a fan.
GBPmies

Helsinki, Finland

#30 Jul 5, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
Yep, Jaws says if Ponder improves in all the right areas, he might make top 20. High praise indeed.
-------
We'll see what ponder can accomplish, but quite obviously to me, Jaws is not a fan.
Yeah I guess some guys might have missed that part about him not being a fan. I don't know how he could have made it more clear... other than saying "I AM NOT A FAN"

Making the "top 20" is not something to get excited about. Maybe top 10 is nice... but only into the "top 20" if Ponder really improves = OUCH!
GBPmies

Helsinki, Finland

#31 Jul 5, 2013
viking nation wrote:
Ponder wasn't efficient off play-action on throws 15 yards & over, He was efficient off play-action on throws 4 to 10 yards & Harvin being the leading receiver was the proof of that..
What were Ponder’s stats on those play action throws '4 to 10 yrds'?
How efficient was Ponder on those plays?
How many times did they go play action for a throw meant to go only 4-10 yrds instaed of 15+ yrds?
How does Harvin's leading WR #s prove "short play action passes" were actually successful?
What is the relationship between Harvin’s "non play action short passes" compared to Harvins "short play action passes"?

Your theory could be interesting.... but a nice clean breakdown of the numbers would actually prove something, instead of just stating something as “proven” with no real proof at all... A very common EZG problem I must say.

“FORUMS LONGEST POSTING MEMBER ”

Location hidden

#32 Jul 5, 2013
Childress wrote:
<quoted text>BOOM.
You were destroyed in this thread.
I sincerely hope Ponder is the QB you and Viking nation say he is. I'm ready to win now and if I have to be wrong about the QB position for one of the rare times so be it.

4000 yards
35 TD's
8 INTS
16 games plus playoffs

These are the statistics Ponder MUST have!!
viking nation

Madera, CA

#33 Jul 5, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times did they go play action for a throw meant to go only 4-10 yrds instaed of 15+ yrds?
How does Harvin's leading WR #s prove "short play action passes" were actually successful?
What is the relationship between Harvin’s "non play action short passes" compared to Harvins "short play action passes"?
Your theory could be interesting.... but a nice clean breakdown of the numbers would actually prove something, instead of just stating something as “proven” with no real proof at all... A very common EZG problem I must say.
Like I said Packers fan Im not EZ Here are the sats you ask for being a football junkie I do have them. Ponder threw the most play action passes in the NFL last season 165 according to ESPN Stats & Information.Hold on & I will find the site so you all can read it for yourselfs.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#34 Jul 5, 2013
viking nation

Madera, CA

#35 Jul 5, 2013
I hope them stats show the "Proof" your looking for as GBPmies put it.
GBPmies

Finland

#36 Jul 6, 2013
viking nation wrote:
I hope them stats show the "Proof" your looking for as GBPmies put it.
Yeah I read that article too but I don’t see how it answers any of the questions I asked.

This is what you wrote
“Ponder wasn't efficient off play-action on throws 15 yards & over, He was efficient off play-action on throws 4 to 10 yards & Harvin being the leading receiver was the proof of that.”

Where did it mention anything about efficiency in short play action play passes ‘4 to 10 yrds” or “15+ yrd play action throws”?

Where does it mention anything about Percy Harvin’s numbers on short passes, play action vs non play action?

I don’t think you have the stats to back up whether or not Ponder was efficient on short play action throws compared with non play action short throws. So far you have shown no figures for either. Just general numbers that don’t prove anything. I am not saying your point is wrong, I just have not seen any figures on long vs short play action passes as you stated. I see some figures for all play action passes lumbed together, but not broken down like you put it. I would think those numbers will be tough for you to find and if you don't have them that is ok, I guess you don't need to prove anything.

Spring Hill, FL

#37 Jul 6, 2013
Avant wrote:
<quoted text>I sincerely hope Ponder is the QB you and Viking nation say he is. I'm ready to win now and if I have to be wrong about the QB position for one of the rare times so be it.
4000 yards
35 TD's
8 INTS
16 games plus playoffs
These are the statistics Ponder MUST have!!
Your track record stinks.
Always.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#38 Jul 6, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
First off it's not only the article. ESPN Stats & Information Is the place to go to if you want to look up something about a team or a player. That article does show Jaws was wrong & thats why I posted that article. Like I said to start with if you want more info go look it up your self. It's where I go for a lot of the subjuct stats I talk about & as you see I didn't & havn't made up anything. Try the place out it sure couldn't hurt.
GBPmies

Finland

#39 Jul 6, 2013
viking nation wrote:
<quoted text>First off it's not only the article. ESPN Stats & Information Is the place to go to if you want to look up something about a team or a player. That article does show Jaws was wrong & thats why I posted that article. Like I said to start with if you want more info go look it up your self. It's where I go for a lot of the subjuct stats I talk about & as you see I didn't & havn't made up anything. Try the place out it sure couldn't hurt.
You didn't make up anything? Where did paly actio plays of "4-10 yrds" and "15+ yrds" come from? You used those figures so I would think you have stats for those very presise figures. Don't you? or did you just MAKE THEM UP?

So what you are saying is you don’t have any stats for what you claimed and used in your posts. Thanks but knew that, now everyone else does too.

And thanks for the BIG tip on looking at ESPN stats, LOL. Wow what a hidden gem you have found there! LOL!

But please show me where ESPN breaks down any of the “play action passing stats” of YOUR used and mentioned stats of “4-10 yrds” vs “15+ yrds”. You are the one who used those particular figures. You should provide the link for those stats, not me. I didn’t make them up. How am I supposed to find a link for your made up stats? Impossible!

btw
Since we a sharing stat sights I think you will find this the best overall site. It covers much more than ESPN does.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/
most welcome
GBPmies

Finland

#40 Jul 6, 2013
viking nation wrote:
The Ravens & Buccaneers both won a super bowl with a QB that was a game manager. Their teams was built around a strong defense to hold onto the lead. Just as the Vikings defense now. The Vikes defense is built to win games.( a QB like Brady isn't always needed. Im not saying I wouldn't like someone like that but as long as the QB can be a game manager & put the Vikes in a early lead the Vikes strong defense can do their job & hold on for the win.
You just worte about how the Vikings defense is going to win games and having a game manger is ok.

You wrote this
“teams was built around a strong defense to hold onto the lead. Just as the Vikings defense now. The Vikes defense is built to win games.”

Where does this come from? Really how have they ever showed over the last years they are going to win games and hold leads with that defense? How many times have we seen them BLOW 1st half leads? It was very common!

here look at this.

They ranked 14th in pts allowed in 2012
They ranked 31st in pts allowed in 2011
They ranked 31st in 2nd half pts allowed in 2011
They ranked 16th in 2nd half pts allowed in 2012
How is that a strong defense built to hold onto leads? Not even top half of NFL

Especially when the vikings are ranked 17th in pts per game 2012
10th in 1st half scoring in 2012 (not bad a good lead maybe)
22nd in 2nd half scoring in 2012 (not good at holding the lead)

Btw
You can’t find these stats at ESPN.com ---- LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cam Newton Mon SFB pharts 38
lost the battle, may have won the war Mon SFB pharts 2
News How Does The Wentz Injury Affect The Vikings Ge... Dec 11 Fart Raider Pie 3
News The quarterback position could get expensive fo... Dec 11 RaiderFartvision 2
News NFL on TV today: What time, channel is Minnesot... Dec 11 RaiderFartvision 2
Adrian Peterson Dec 9 SFB Phart 70
News Brett Favre: Eli Manning 'can be great somewher... Dec 9 SFB Phart 6
More from around the web