If you guys wanna continue the DT/LT ...

If you guys wanna continue the DT/LT debate

Posted in the Minnesota Vikings Forum

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#1 Mar 5, 2013
You play to win THE GAME. The super bowl. That isn't a "stat," it is all that matters.(to paraphrase a packer)

OT in top 5 drafted: 32. Times it paid off: 2

QB drafted in top 5: 53. Times it paid off: 23.

DE/olb: 56 picks / 12 paydays

DT: 20 picks / 10 paydays

So, I used NFL.com for the positions to the best of my ability. This doesn't mean you reach for a DT-not saying that-just pointed out it sure doesn't seem like, by any sound objective manor, LT is more important than DT.

======= a more "sheeple" arbitrary type argument =====
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/...

too funny. 5 years, gone. nothing to show. replaced with a round 2 selection.(jonathan martin many guys thought the purple should take rd 1!!!)

Hey, this article gets it right. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolp...

So. Dolphins and bears keep their DT's with franchise tags, appears Chiefs are lining up to *NOT* select a left tackle with pick #1 overall, and Broncoes have a broken statue taped together at QB to defend. two LT tags, two DT tags. Lots of tackles hit the market, including Loadholdt.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#2 Mar 8, 2013
Dee-Tee Dee-Tee Dee-Tee

How long are you going to keep whining about last year's pick. It's like still bitching about the Troy Williamson pick. Yea, we all know it sucked be we don't bring it up every day.

It's in the past. Get over it and move on.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#3 Mar 8, 2013
This thread isn't about Kalil. Just positional valuation.
GBPmies

Finland

#4 Mar 8, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
This thread isn't about Kalil. Just positional valuation.
Putting all the Kalil talk aside for one just a second.......... 1.... I would have to say Kalil was the right pick for the Vikings last year and a no brainer for a team needing a LT and in the state fo rebiluding/retooling. I mean they went 4-12 so they need a few years and their oline was not good at all before Kalil came along. Now they have a great LT and it seems a hell of a Safety too from last yrs 1st round.

Yes this year they should go after a DT, I agree. If they want one there will be one available when they pick because there are plenty to choose from this year PLUS many experts believe there will be a RUN ON OFFENSIVE TACKLES early in the draft.

That works out well for the Vikings, I wonder if they planned it this way????? you know.... the year they don't need to draft a Tackle early there are many DT available in the draft!

But.... time to move on to presnet day! What about the Vikings drafting a WR in the 1st round, there should be some great WRs available too. How does the value between WR and DT work this year? Would you go DT or WR first round? Could be a tough call for the Vikes this year in rd1, unlike last year!

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#5 Mar 8, 2013
Ok so your talking about top 5 draft picks and correlation to SB wins. I think that is a very far stretch to make. What about the other draft picks and free agency moves were made by teams after their top 5 pick. How did the total package of player selections contribute towards SB wins?

Another thing to look at is how many years after the top 5 pick did the team win a SB? In between the top 5 pick and the SB how many personnel adjustments were made.

Too many variables so while interesting figures it really doesn't prove that a specific position selected in top 5 helps or hurts SB chances.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#6 Mar 8, 2013
PF stop responding to the lying scumbag ezg/viking nation and move over to the other site. I've ragging on you about DT but it was more that you were responding to ezg/vn even after you knew he faked military service, military decorations and continues to lie about who he really is.

I've told you before, I may disagree with you but I respect your football talk and that you're a true Vikings fan.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#7 Mar 8, 2013
The nerve of some people that thinks they can tell anyone who to talk to "Wow" What if Faithful keeps responding stubby are you going to put him on your troll list? & does that go for anyone thats answers my post or just Faithful Your to much what a turkey.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#8 Mar 9, 2013
Liar alert

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#9 Mar 10, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
Putting all the Kalil talk aside for one just a second.......... 1.... I would have to say Kalil was the right pick for the Vikings last year and a no brainer for a team needing a LT and in the state fo rebiluding/retooling. I mean they went 4-12 so they need a few years and their oline was not good at all before Kalil came along. Now they have a great LT and it seems a hell of a Safety too from last yrs 1st round.
Yes this year they should go after a DT, I agree. If they want one there will be one available when they pick because there are plenty to choose from this year PLUS many experts believe there will be a RUN ON OFFENSIVE TACKLES early in the draft.
That works out well for the Vikings, I wonder if they planned it this way????? you know.... the year they don't need to draft a Tackle early there are many DT available in the draft!
But.... time to move on to presnet day! What about the Vikings drafting a WR in the 1st round, there should be some great WRs available too. How does the value between WR and DT work this year? Would you go DT or WR first round? Could be a tough call for the Vikes this year in rd1, unlike last year!
well, yes, i "knew" last year the vikes would select Kalil and smith. one of the picks i was in favor of. I prefer taking best players rather than locking in on need. no reason to reach when you're so far away, you know? Last year, vikes needed the same positions as they do this year, minus now one safety and left tackle. Vikes still need, imo, a MLb, DT, s, CB, WR, WR. There never really is the big "run" on offensive linemen like the draft pundits claim. I've seen some of them claiming 5 offensive linemen in the top 10, which would be good for the vikes. Now, the vikes have let their RT walk, which means we may still go OT rd1. I would think the vikes go wr this year. spielman favors offense and whatever fans are screaming loudest for, so i think it's WR. Hard to project this far down, though.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#10 Mar 10, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Ok so your talking about top 5 draft picks and correlation to SB wins. I think that is a very far stretch to make. What about the other draft picks and free agency moves were made by teams after their top 5 pick. How did the total package of player selections contribute towards SB wins?
Another thing to look at is how many years after the top 5 pick did the team win a SB? In between the top 5 pick and the SB how many personnel adjustments were made.
Too many variables so while interesting figures it really doesn't prove that a specific position selected in top 5 helps or hurts SB chances.
it is a stretch, of course. Lots of guys seem to get caught up, when I make this point, thinking i mean there is some sort of guarantee. There isn't, of course. You still need to do the other moves you are talking about. Nothing is in a vacuum, but when teams had the opportunity to get a blue-chip talent in the top 5, what positions seem to pay off? It seems the selection of tackles does not pay off and when you look at the sheer number taken, you'd think there'd be some more random "wins". Just really doesn't seen to pay.
GBPmies

Finland

#11 Mar 10, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>well, yes, i "knew" last year the vikes would select Kalil and smith. one of the picks i was in favor of. I prefer taking best players rather than locking in on need. no reason to reach when you're so far away, you know? Last year, vikes needed the same positions as they do this year, minus now one safety and left tackle. Vikes still need, imo, a MLb, DT, s, CB, WR, WR. There never really is the big "run" on offensive linemen like the draft pundits claim. I've seen some of them claiming 5 offensive linemen in the top 10, which would be good for the vikes. Now, the vikes have let their RT walk, which means we may still go OT rd1. I would think the vikes go wr this year. spielman favors offense and whatever fans are screaming loudest for, so i think it's WR. Hard to project this far down, though.
I agree with the needs, especially with MLB for the Vikings. I know they need a DT and WRs too. I have always had the understanding that you need a really good MLB to run a Tampa 2 type defense.

The Vikings are coming along pretty good. They also should be able to bring in a few FAs to shore up some areas. They have quite a bit of cap space right now.
GBPmies

Finland

#12 Mar 10, 2013
PF even though we disagree about the Kalil pick last year it is all good. Not everyone will have the same opinions and I am just an arm chair GM like everyone else around here.

I remember last year we went round and round before the season. I predicted the Vikings win 6 or 7 games tops but you thought they would be much better and I laughed at you. You were right and I have no problem admitting the Vikings surprised me (as they did most who follow the NFL) and I was wrong.

So either you are a SUPER FAN who got lucky or guy who knows what he is talking about. I give you the benefit of the doubt here since you do create some good FACT based analysis and not just spout out anything that comes to mind, you put time into your research and I like that, and I look forward to going round and round again this year :)

All the best, but remember I will still be a smarta** from time to time and give the you and the Vikes hell as I “troll” the Vikings forum :)
... just the nature of the beast I guess.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#13 Mar 15, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
PF even though we disagree about the Kalil pick last year it is all good. Not everyone will have the same opinions and I am just an arm chair GM like everyone else around here.
I remember last year we went round and round before the season. I predicted the Vikings win 6 or 7 games tops but you thought they would be much better and I laughed at you. You were right and I have no problem admitting the Vikings surprised me (as they did most who follow the NFL) and I was wrong.
So either you are a SUPER FAN who got lucky or guy who knows what he is talking about. I give you the benefit of the doubt here since you do create some good FACT based analysis and not just spout out anything that comes to mind, you put time into your research and I like that, and I look forward to going round and round again this year :)
All the best, but remember I will still be a smarta** from time to time and give the you and the Vikes hell as I “troll” the Vikings forum :)
... just the nature of the beast I guess.
No worries, my man. Have your fun, all good.

Looks like Vikings biggest needs are now WR and CB. Vikings cut Antoine Winfield to resign Loadholdt and the Vikings re-signed Erin Henderson at LB. Looks like we go wr/cb in rd 1 to me at this point.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#14 Mar 15, 2013
Oh, that is what I think the Vikings GM will do, not what he should do.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#15 Mar 15, 2013
I think in the last draft the vikings picking Kalil that they was also looking at the up coming draft this year like Faithful was saying. They pretty much knew what players would be in this upcoming draft, also knew they wouldn't have the same draft slot this year so they had to go for a top LT, also maybe they did know last year if things didnt work out with harvin they would trade him for draft picks. I was reading how Spielman likes to have 10 draft picks & that maybe the Vikings would trade one of the early picks second or third for a few more later picks. I think Purple faithful hit it on the nose. in all his post here. Some good reading.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time to play 20 hr Purple Faithful 3
***Vikings/Cowboys*** Dec 1 Purple Faithful 14
Coach Z on IR? Nov 30 Magnum Man II 1
***Vikings/Lions, and Thanksgiving*** Nov 28 Magnum Man II 11
News Running back Bishop Sankey signed to Minnesota ... Nov 28 Stubby 2
Cardinals @ Vikings Nov 24 Purple Faithful 20
News Vikings cut struggling kicker Blair Walsh Nov 20 Hacksaw Smithers 2
More from around the web