Christian Ponder takes control of Vikings

Full story: Buffalo News

From the moment Christian Ponder took over the Minnesota Vikings offense in Week 5 of his rookie season, the quarterback never stopped scrambling.
Comments
21 - 40 of 53 Comments Last updated May 26, 2012
ezg357

Madera, CA

#21 May 4, 2012
Andy Dalton…is climbing up the draft boards in these last few weeks. He improved dramatically his last college year, is mobile, has starting experience and is accurate. He is one of those guys who could be a second or third-rounder, but who starts one day. However, I saw him doing a whiteboard session with Steve Mariucci and he completely missed the “touchdown or checkdown” concept."
ezg357

Madera, CA

#22 May 4, 2012
TCU’S Andy Dalton: #1 ranked by FO’s formula, lots of starts, very high completion percentage, not the ideal height for an NFL QB facing big passrushers, however. Similar to Colt McCoy last year and McCoy did unexpectedly well in his rookie season with Cleveland.
ezg357

Madera, CA

#23 May 4, 2012
Dalton has all the WCO-precursor analytics, though his arm strength is worrisome for NFL factoring. Even in a very good Rose Bowl performance, I saw a few of Dalton’s longer throws wobbling mightily. Still were accurate, I must add.
ezg357

Madera, CA

#24 May 4, 2012
Florida State’s Christian Ponder: #7 ranked by FO’s formula; he had good collegiate completion rate but injuries and up/down career contortions hurt him in the formula.
ezg357

Madera, CA

#25 May 4, 2012
-Probable draft placement: Early-second to third round.

-My conclusion: I’ve pegged him for the 49ers in the 2nd round, if they draft defense in the 1st and don’t trade in the meantime. That’s mostly an eyeball thing for me–he had good stats at Florida State but I wonder why the Seminoles didn’t win more.

For me, Ponder is the most interesting combination of stats/instinctual pick for Harbaugh–there’s enough efficiency there to pass the baseline test, and enough raw talent for Harbaugh to believe he can get much more out of him with good coaching.

I wouldn’t think there’s much to gain by moving up from 45 to get him, but if he’s there at 45, I’ll say the 49ers take him and he could

Ponder would not be a Raiders-style QB.
ezg357

Madera, CA

#26 May 4, 2012
At the NFL Combine in March, Ponder was the consensus top quarterback who participated, showcasing his trademark accuracy and timing. He also was the MVP of the Senior Bowl, displaying solid game-management skills and ability to make adjustments on the fly.
ezg357

Madera, CA

#27 May 4, 2012
One of the main complaints that I’m hearing from Vikings fans is that the front office clearly reached for a QB and ignored superior talent at other positions of need to do so.

Perhaps that is the case, but how are these fans coming to that conclusion? Based on what Mel Kiper says? Based on the many online-published mock drafts done by people with very little actual football knowledge?
ezg357

Madera, CA

#28 May 4, 2012
I would invite angry fans to go back and look at any past draft in recent history and examine the first round mock drafts put forth by the Mel Kipers and Todd McShays of the world. You will see countless players that the “experts” pegged as late-round guys or “reaches” outperforming top picks. It happens every year. What does that tell us? That the mock drafts and so-called draft gurus aren’t always right.
ezg357

Madera, CA

#29 May 4, 2012
I My Self had more right draft picks for the Vikings then Mel Kipers and Todd McShays I had three right Picks Kalil, Childs & Walsh.

Since: Mar 07

Denver, CO

#30 May 4, 2012
Avant you are so full of sh!t, your eyes are brown. You put Newton or Dalton in the same spot CP was in last year and they would have had nowhere the success they did. Almost zero supporting cast and the studs that were on the team were hurt half the time, the OL was horrible and the WRs were not good, other than Percy. This year I think we will see a much better showing and please stop saying "I'm rooting for Ponder" because you are not, you are always critical and always comparing him to others.. Lie to yourself but not to me! I have always been fair with you and given you your shot to speak your mind without dog piling with the rest but I see why you get abused so much on here, you cannot be honest. I have called you out many times for being racially motivated, which is fine, but just own up to it. Now I want you to own up to lying about "rooting" for Ponder.
I am sure I write some things that people don't agree with but I am always HONEST and if I am wrong I will accept that and eat crow. I was ALWAYS outspoken about not liking C Griffin and thought he sucked and I have always been a Ponder fan and have said so. If I am wrong oh well, but I won't flip flop.
Dude, just quit lying!

Travis

Travis

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#31 May 5, 2012
TRPE wrote:
Rookie Stats-----
Payton Manning: Comp % 56.7 TDs 26 INTs 28
Eli Manning: Comp % 48.2 TDs 6 INTs 9
Christian Ponder: Comp % 54.3 TDs 13 INTs 13
Seriously Avant, if you were judging rookie numbers I would say Ponder is doing pretty well and those guys had full off seasons! No I am not saying that he will be as good as those guys but am not saying he won't, only time will tell. This year he gets a full off season and some help on OL and WR.
Travis
You missed a rookie stat --

Cam Newton: 19 turnovers, 35 sacks

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#32 May 5, 2012
TRPE wrote:
Avant you are so full of sh!t, your eyes are brown. You put Newton or Dalton in the same spot CP was in last year and they would have had nowhere the success they did. Almost zero supporting cast and the studs that were on the team were hurt half the time, the OL was horrible and the WRs were not good, other than Percy. This year I think we will see a much better showing and please stop saying "I'm rooting for Ponder" because you are not, you are always critical and always comparing him to others.. Lie to yourself but not to me! I have always been fair with you and given you your shot to speak your mind without dog piling with the rest but I see why you get abused so much on here, you cannot be honest. I have called you out many times for being racially motivated, which is fine, but just own up to it. Now I want you to own up to lying about "rooting" for Ponder.
I am sure I write some things that people don't agree with but I am always HONEST and if I am wrong I will accept that and eat crow. I was ALWAYS outspoken about not liking C Griffin and thought he sucked and I have always been a Ponder fan and have said so. If I am wrong oh well, but I won't flip flop.
Dude, just quit lying!
Travis
Travis
Put Ponder on the Panthers or Bengals, You think he would throw for 4000 yards 700 on the ground or take Cincinnati to the playoffs? CASE CLOSED Travis!

I am rooting for Ponder when the season starts until then I give my opinion of his past performances.

Question for you. Were would you rank Ponder to the QB's in our division and what is his ceiling?

Rodgers
Stafford
Cuttler
Ponder

Top three may vary, Ponder will always be last. What say you?

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

#33 May 5, 2012
TRPE wrote:
Dude, just quit lying!
Travis
Travis
I might add I never lie, rarely name call, I'm just trying to have some fun. The debate and being PROVED RIGHT is the fun.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#34 May 5, 2012
Put Ponder on a team that had legit WRs or a D that didn't blow huge leads, and yes he could have led a team to the playoffs.

Another myopic view by pixie boy of putting blame for success or failure on a single player in a team sport. Dalton didn't have success without AJ Green catching 1000+ yds or Cedric Benson running for 1000+ or the #9 D in pts allowed. Cam didn't have success without Steve Smith playing healthy for the first time in 3 yrs catching 1300+ or having TEs like Greg Olsen and Jerkemy Shockey. Plus his team didn't have a winning season. How can he be successful yet his team be a failure? Win as a team lose as a team.

Pinellas Park, FL

#35 May 5, 2012
TRPE wrote:
Dude, just quit lying!
Travis
Travis
don't fall for his stupidity in his response.Nobody will ever know what he would have done or any other qb being put on another team.As far as our division??????Their all vets with great receivers minus Chicago until now.Established OLines etc,Ponder is growing with new Wr's and OL,time will tell.I'm satisfied with ponder being picked and when.It sure as hell was never going to be his loser and the liar will never admit to a damn thing anyway.Been proven many many times.Most around here absolutely HATE jimmy.When he leaves it will be applauded,plus I suspect,the day he leaves it will be admitting he was never a Viking fan but a troll all along.Then say the joke was on those he B.S'ed for years.And he absolutely flip flops on Ponder.HE IS KNOW PONDER FAN,but in case Ponder is great he's protecting his ass.Won't work in this forum though,we already put him in the Anti-Ponder and Vikings as a whole.Case in point,my thread on Gerhart,our other great back and his 4.9 per carry.After all the crap Avtard said about him,he comes back in that thread and says we need Gerhart and 4.0 yds.Flip flopping.He doesn't like Toby.
Just stay there.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

#36 May 5, 2012
Stubby wrote:
Put Ponder on a team that had legit WRs or a D that didn't blow huge leads, and yes he could have led a team to the playoffs.
Another myopic view by pixie boy of putting blame for success or failure on a single player in a team sport. Dalton didn't have success without AJ Green catching 1000+ yds or Cedric Benson running for 1000+ or the #9 D in pts allowed. Cam didn't have success without Steve Smith playing healthy for the first time in 3 yrs catching 1300+ or having TEs like Greg Olsen and Jerkemy Shockey. Plus his team didn't have a winning season. How can he be successful yet his team be a failure? Win as a team lose as a team.
I dare you. Make the list of top QB's and their ceiling in our division I bet it's the same as mine.

Since: Mar 07

Denver, CO

#37 May 5, 2012
The difference Avant is when I complain about a player I say I want them removed. I don't say "They sucked for 5 games now and pick them apart then say but I am rooting for them" Like Ced Griffin I have NEVER liked him and never minced words, because I was HONEST! If you want to tell me you are rooting for Ponder, stop dissing him and gushing all over Cam.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#38 May 5, 2012
TRPE wrote:
Rookie Stats-----
Payton Manning: Comp % 56.7 TDs 26 INTs 28
Eli Manning: Comp % 48.2 TDs 6 INTs 9
Christian Ponder: Comp % 54.3 TDs 13 INTs 13
Seriously Avant, if you were judging rookie numbers I would say Ponder is doing pretty well and those guys had full off seasons! No I am not saying that he will be as good as those guys but am not saying he won't, only time will tell. This year he gets a full off season and some help on OL and WR.
Travis
Hi Travis...hope all is well with you!

This NFL Ticket is gettin' expensive.

Should I watch our team play for a another top 3 pick and this TIME draft a legit WR??????????

I think the young man from Trinity HS in Pitt. could be on the Vikes radar.

2015 draft of course.

Whoops still don't fill the GREAT HUGE VOID/ABYSS/NEED for a WR now!!!!!!!!!!

I digress..........

I just think with the Vikes all in with Ponder they had/have to get him a deep threat.

Maybe I am senile or maybe L.F. is a D guy who played for the Bears.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

#39 May 6, 2012
2013 mock draft number 1
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
1. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Barkley, QB, USC
OK, so I'm cheating a bit. I don't have the Vikings as the worst team in the aforementioned 2012 NFL Power Rankings, but they're the only team in the bottom five that will be looking for a quarterback if they finish that low. However, as we've seen in the 2012 NFL Draft, teams won't be afraid to trade within the top five. If Minnesota finishes with the second-worst record in the league, it won't hesitate to give up on Christian Ponder and draft Matt Barkley No. 1 overall, even if that requires moving up for him.

Barkley is the overwhelming favorite to go No. 1 at the moment, but a lot can change in a year. He took a big risk by going back to school, but the reward of banging hot chicks at USC could be well worth it.

2013 mock draft number 2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1173598-20...

1. Matt Barkley, QB, USC

As of right now Matt Barkley is the consensus No. 1 prospect heading into the draft. He’s not Andrew Luck by any means but he has enough skill to be a franchise quarterback. He made an interesting decision staying at USC for another year, but he’ll still be the pick.

The Vikings have a long way to go before being a contender again. Passing on a can’t-miss player at the most important position in football wouldn’t be an amazing idea.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

#40 May 6, 2012
TRPE wrote:
The difference Avant is when I complain about a player I say I want them removed. I don't say "They sucked for 5 games now and pick them apart then say but I am rooting for them" Like Ced Griffin I have NEVER liked him and never minced words, because I was HONEST! If you want to tell me you are rooting for Ponder, stop dissing him and gushing all over Cam.
I'm rooting for Ponder I'm a Minnesota viking fan but every 2013 draft expert agrees with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings vs. Tennessee Titans: Live Sc... 12 hr GoVikes 30
Preseason Trends 21 hr GBPmies 17
5 Worst Teams In NFL Heading Into 2014 Season Aug 28 Flatulence Fred 21
Minnesota Vikings Final Preseason Game Is For T... Aug 28 Spielman 2
Teddy Bridgewater vs. Matt Cassel, who starts Aug 27 Magnum Man II 28
Tom Powers: Vikings' offense apparently was bet... Aug 27 Training Camp News 6
Minnesota Vikings 2014 Season Preview Aug 27 Spielman 12
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000