Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 21, 2013

Since: Dec 06

Davenport, FL

#1 Feb 17, 2013
Just got charged with a DUI,he's the Georgia ILB,which we need.He probably will fall along with Te'O.Notre Dame ILB.Allen WR of Calif.looks to be all that.DT is strong in the draft,perhaps we can swing rd 2 for that position.
Tough decisions in rd 1 with these names.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#2 Feb 17, 2013
Ussually you can tell what position the team needs most and guess who they'll select. This year I do think WR/LB/DT will all be top priorities. I'm with you that DT class has depth so 2nd round DT is a good call.

What I won't be surprised, is if a top CB like Millner or Banks slips a little and the Vikings trade up to snatch a CB. If that doesn't happen then I see potential of them making trades to get another 2nd round pick and go for a CB. Winfield is old and Cook is hurt too much so CB has to be a top priority. Unlike some positions you don't hear a lot of 4-7 round CBs who climb to the upper ranks.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#3 Feb 18, 2013
Sure you find later round CB's climb to the upper ranks.

Ladarius Webb, rd 3.(a beast, but got hurt last yr.)
Travon Williams, undrafted
Night train Lane, rd 22 (lol)
Last year, Alphonso Dennard went rd 7. Played very solidly as a starter for NE.
Maybe the Vikes should just remember how they acquired Buffalo cast-off Antoine Winfield.

(So, look where Dennard went and ask yourself if the vikes are gonna draft ogletree in rd 1.)

Rd 2 last year, Janoris Jenkins went. end of rd 2, many a Viking fan lamented when Casey Hayward was drafted.(6 picks last year, or, 6 more picks than Cook has for his career. many vike fan mocks i seen drooled over him, just went a few picks earlier than Robinson, who had 2 picks)

This site lists rd 1 - for CB, lots of huge busts , but a real good "hit" rate, so boom or bust:
http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/articles/575...

This site sorta supports stubby, but read further:
http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/04/draft...
It concludes DB's are one of the easier positions to identify talent at.

of interest:
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ss...

The rd 1 corners:
http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ss...

Anyway, WR is the riskiest position to draft in rd 1, but it is the vikes "biggest need" in the view of the fans, and that seems to be what spielman targets. I think Allen, WR, would be great for the Vikings - in rd 2. There is one rd 1 worthy wr imo. I don't see the vikes taking an ILB or corner or guard rd 1. DT is possible, but vikes seem to think they can patch that position like they do at ILB. I'm pretty sure it will be a wr. Vikes under spielman go at that position pretty hard and it is still a huge need, in the eyes of most. Only wild card would be a free agent signing at the position, imo.

I do like Ogletree quite a bit. before the dui, lots of people were thinking of him as urlacher's replacement. But i imagine the bears will take the wr we want.

Yorktown, VA

#4 Feb 19, 2013
I do think that best player available at 23 will be a DT or WR and that is what they go for. I just stated that if one of the top CBs slip they would also be considered for BPA and Vikings could go that route. I agree that LB and OG are not their first pick unless by some abhorition of nature Chance Wormack slipped from top 10. He definitely falls into BPA category.

Yorktown, VA

#5 Feb 19, 2013
PF - The advanced stats site is interesting as it breaks it down into easy to read graphs. Pretty much sums it up that if you want a quality DB he needs to be one of the first 4 taken in the draft.#4 is the knee in the curve where performance drops off.

The site does make a flawed assumption that because CBs tend to stay active longer that scouting them is easier. I think it is the reverse that scouting them is hard so teams stick with what they have because they are unsure of the next guy. Plus they didn't include rational about sometimes a less performing guy fits their system better than another CB (Tampa-2 zone guy vs a bump and run man coverage CB.

The draft101 site had a huge surprise. DT was the only position that becomes riskier after first 10 picks. When DT is taken in top ten they have a 62% success rate (boom or bust) but for the rest of round one it is 47%. Kind of makes me think teams have reached for a DT in middle to late 1st round when they should have waited for a DT in rd 2.

Davenport, FL

#6 Feb 19, 2013
Th NFL today show yesterday,was talking about Revis and being tradable.Some think the day of shut down corners is over.Th days of corners like Sherman of Seattle,with the physicalness of not letting receivers off the line or at least disrupting the timing is what teams should be modeling.
Just saying..........

Davenport, FL

#7 Feb 19, 2013
This draft is crazy on lineman in the 1st rd.
A few receivers and Qb 's.
Allen the receiver of Calf will be a risk because of the knee injury,so I have to put him in the 2nd or lower.We all know how things worked out with Childs.bummer.I'm leaning DT in rd 2,I suspect a top ILB will be available at 23,I'm leaning that way.Brinkley just isn't good enough.OLB,depending on who might be there is another possibility if the ILB's are off the board.It's early and I'm still in speculation mode.

Yorktown, VA

#8 Feb 19, 2013
Childress wrote:
Th NFL today show yesterday,was talking about Revis and being tradable.Some think the day of shut down corners is over.Th days of corners like Sherman of Seattle,with the physicalness of not letting receivers off the line or at least disrupting the timing is what teams should be modeling.
Just saying..........
Revis and other so called shut down corners like Asomugha and Champ Bailey were exposed over the last couple years. Turns out when Asomuga was a Raider and looked so good it was more than Stanford Rout on the other side sucked so bad and the safeties sucked. If Asomuga was such a stud why did Raiders have the 28th ranked pass D? Turns out receivers he covered were only targeted 27 times all season. 27 throws at him. No wonder he looked so good on paper. Last year QBs targeted him like Lions did and CJ had a big game.

Same for Champ Bailey. Flacco picked him apart in AFC playoffs.

As for Revis, 2012 was a bust for him due to injury so I looked at the 3 game slide at end of 2011 the kept Jets out of the playoffs. 1st loss to Eagles who completed 6 passed to Revis's side. Next was loss to Giants who completed 7 to Revis's side. Last loss was to Miami who went after Cromartie and exposed him.

My favorite was the 2010 Brady TD pass to Moss who had burned Revis who quickly grabbed his leg like he pulled a hammy.

QBs are going after so called shut down corners because they are found in man schemes where a miss means no top cover and big gain for the O. High risk but high reward.

Minneapolis

#9 Feb 19, 2013
Asomugha was a terrible system fit for Philly. They do not play the raiders style defense. It's an example of why the NFL does not do big trades and does not have a ton of big free agent signings that take place. Really, it should highlight the dangers of putting your eggs of a viable viking passing attack in the signing of a certain packer wr. MAYBE, the system over there is different than what the vikes run for a passing attack. maybe results would be vastly different - just like the teams singing raider bump and run corners to play zone.

Minneapolis

#10 Feb 19, 2013
oh, and yes, all man corners are eventually beat. Pass rush must get there, Jets have no pass rush. Jets have had almost no pass rush for years. The way they can still get it done, for the most part, is a testament to Rex Ryan. Amazing defensive coach, terrible college pass-rusher evaluator, lol.

Davenport, FL

#11 Feb 20, 2013
Dennard may face jail time for assaulting an officer.The incident happened right before the draft.Dennard free fell to a 7th rd pick.
Hardly a find in the 7th.
7th rd is garbage,percentagely speaking.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#12 Feb 20, 2013
I am pretty sure the Bears will take a OT to keep cuttler upright, I dont see them taking a WR.

Davenport, FL

#13 Feb 20, 2013
ezg alert,post 12
Grade F and that's just the name.I don't read her post.

Minneapolis

#14 Feb 20, 2013
Lots of guys free fall, some right out of the draft. If you get 1 year of high starting quality - higher than Cook, certainly, and you use a "garbage" 7th round pick, that is good drafting. Think about the Vikings huge need at MLB and corner how we did not bother to take either Burfict or Dennard, even though we had a huge number of picks last year. Both would have been stars for the Vikings last year, one year stars are more than you can expect out of a seventh round pick. With the Vikings two seventh round picks, the vikings took Audie Cole and Trevor Guyton. Burfict was the Bengals best LB and Dennard

Vikings have plenty of criminals on the roster. Vikings have Everson Griffen who scuffled with police - arrested twice same day, lol, before draft problems and after... had Randy Moss who struck a traffic cop with a car, smoked dope,... have Cook who strangles women "in self defense", waves guns at neighbors allegedly and had his own college character problems as well. Not sure anyone with an average intellect can somehow claim vikes run a tight ship. Heck, Vikes gambled with Percy Harvin and now have that distraction.

oh, and Dennard was convicted. not gonna get ANY time, though.
http://www.inquisitr.com/534609/alfonzo-denna...

Well, thank goodness we have the Trevor Guyton minutes before getting cut to look back on with fondness.

Minneapolis

#15 Feb 20, 2013
Oh, and if you do not know about Harvin's problems, read this article:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02...

It may highlight for you why Harvin fell to the Vikes -and may well have kept right on falling without the Vikings selecting him, as some pundits thought he would.

Minneapolis

#16 Feb 21, 2013
Stubby wrote:
PF - The advanced stats site is interesting as it breaks it down into easy to read graphs. Pretty much sums it up that if you want a quality DB he needs to be one of the first 4 taken in the draft.#4 is the knee in the curve where performance drops off.
The site does make a flawed assumption that because CBs tend to stay active longer that scouting them is easier. I think it is the reverse that scouting them is hard so teams stick with what they have because they are unsure of the next guy. Plus they didn't include rational about sometimes a less performing guy fits their system better than another CB (Tampa-2 zone guy vs a bump and run man coverage CB.
The draft101 site had a huge surprise. DT was the only position that becomes riskier after first 10 picks. When DT is taken in top ten they have a 62% success rate (boom or bust) but for the rest of round one it is 47%. Kind of makes me think teams have reached for a DT in middle to late 1st round when they should have waited for a DT in rd 2.
Yeah, that's my position on DT. You really gotta be careful and make sure it's a special talent and system fit to go rd 1. When the Vikes were in the top 5 last year, it gave us a shot to get a special DT (i think one was available last year, maybe one this year). Down where we are selecting, I just do not see we will get great value over a rd 3 DT. And, the Vikings have a rd 3 DT they have been developing named Ballard (might have been rd 4 now that I think about it). Ballard, remember, was talked up as a possible late rd 1 pick. So, believe it or not, I am not thinking there is any chance there will be a DT i like at 23. Floyd i'd like. lol.

Yeah, your take on corner is basically where I am at. There are blips where "character concerns" seem to make a guy fall and outliers like Tramon Williams. But, other types of corners can be had later. Richard Sherman went rd 5, Joey Browner's kid was undrafted. Now, see how they play up on the line? You can do that in the Tampa 2. It is, imo, the right way to play it. So, if we stay Tampa 2, I think corner is OK. Just gotta convince the starting cb's to play up tight and maul a bit. Or bench them till they tell the coach they will play the way they are told to. Safeties over the top to save the day, deliver a horrifing shot to a WR trying to run under a pass thrown over the short zone corner. A burner, ball hawk safety at 210 lbs putting his helmet in the chest of a WR is a beautiful thing.

Minneapolis

#17 Feb 21, 2013
Childress wrote:
Just saying..........
Yeah, that is why I do not like Cook playing soft and do not think you need to go rd 1 at corner, necessarily. Sherman was a 5, browner was undrafted. They are safety-size with cover skills.(Vaccaro is safety size with cover skills - even man to man.)

Yorktown, VA

#18 Feb 21, 2013
Cook used to play tight at the line at UVA. It is the Vikings scheme the has them play soft. Every Vikings CB for the last 5 years has played soft. With Harrison Smith and and now journeyman Sanford to back them up they can afford to play up at the line and disrupt the route early before dropping back into their zone.

Minneapolis

#19 Feb 21, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Cook used to play tight at the line at UVA. It is the Vikings scheme the has them play soft. Every Vikings CB for the last 5 years has played soft. With Harrison Smith and and now journeyman Sanford to back them up they can afford to play up at the line and disrupt the route early before dropping back into their zone.
Winfield does not play soft and every last tape I seen of Cook at UVA had him playing soft with terrible hips. Griffin and Cook played soft because they are too afraid of getting beat. Asher Allen was not afraid and played up, just couldn't do it well enough to stay with the team. It is not the Viking's scheme to play soft, it is the players choosing to do that or the staff recognizing the talent limitations and having him play off. Tom Pelassaro (sp) does an article every once in a while questioning why Cook plays it soft against the way it is schemed. also did one on Cedric Griffin. You and I are both frustrated by it, though.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings vs. Tennessee Titans: Live Sc... 13 hr Spielman 31
Preseason Trends Mon GBPmies 17
5 Worst Teams In NFL Heading Into 2014 Season Aug 28 Flatulence Fred 21
Minnesota Vikings Final Preseason Game Is For T... Aug 28 Spielman 2
Teddy Bridgewater vs. Matt Cassel, who starts Aug 27 Magnum Man II 28
Tom Powers: Vikings' offense apparently was bet... Aug 27 Training Camp News 6
Minnesota Vikings 2014 Season Preview Aug 27 Spielman 12
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000