Mike Zimmer Informed Christian Ponder of Team's QB Plans

Feb 27, 2014 Full story: TheVikingAge 14

Nov 24, 2013; Green Bay, WI, USA; Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder warms up before game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.

Full Story
viking nation

Madera, CA

#1 Feb 27, 2014
Ponder is going to have to earned that starting spot. Ponder said he wants out if he doesnt start I think he can beat out a rookie But this talk about a free agent QB I hope Vick isn't in the plans.
Packer Backer WichitaKs

Wichita, KS

#2 Feb 28, 2014
viking nation wrote:
Ponder is going to have to earned that starting spot. Ponder said he wants out if he doesnt start I think he can beat out a rookie But this talk about a free agent QB I hope Vick isn't in the plans.
Draft a QB and use Matt Cassel as your starter. Johnny Football may be there for the taking. Vick would be an upgrade while Ponder is merely a backup with the Vikings. He may need a fresh start with a team that has a clue on what they are doing which the Vikings obviously do not.
eric

Monroe, WI

#3 Feb 28, 2014
How is going PBWK IF the Vikings were to draft Johnny Manziel,you would have to start him,you cant use a top 8 pick and bench him for time to learn,
If the Vikes were to use Cassel as the starter, they can cut/trade Ponder,sign Vick or another vet qb to battle with Cassel or back him up and they can draft a qb later on and develop him.
Should be interesting..Chicago had Lovie ( def. minded coach) they had a great defense and a worthless offense,then they fire Lovie hire Marc Tressman (Off.coach) NOW, their Offense is pretty good and their defense is basically worthless ( much like the Packers defense most of the time last year)..
Well, Minn defense sucked last year,their offense wasnt all that bad,,NOW they hire Cin Def. coord to be the HC,,SO, Lets see if Minn has the same fate as Chicago had ( Def. going from shit to very good,and the offense going from pretty good to ( dropping back a bit)
Jamarcus Lardass

Denver, CO

#4 Feb 28, 2014
It all depends on if they lose Jared Allen. They lose him their secondary gets more exposed. Maybe they could sign Sharper for a game-by-game contract until he goes to prison for life
viking nation

Madera, CA

#5 Feb 28, 2014
Vick won't come cheap Myself I can't see Vick playing any better for the Vikings then he did for the Eagles & he had a dream team. Vick is injury prone I don't think he would help the team win enough games to get into the post season. Vick isn't Favre ... Havn't we all seen enough old QBs come in trying to save a season, I know I have. Ponder might win a game or two less then Vick but does that matter if the team doesnt get into the post season? We may as well play Ponder.
KANFAN

Wichita, KS

#6 Mar 3, 2014
No friggin way we draft Johnny Football. Either Bortles or Carr. Carr is my choice.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#7 Mar 3, 2014
Your not alone in your thoughts The Raiders prefer Carr over Manziel & The Browns are now thinking the same. Myself I like Teddy Bridgewater I think he's the most accurate of the group. Dont get me wrong I think Carr can play & would be a good QB But a 8th overall pick I don't think he proved he is worth it.. Derek Carr had a good senior bowl showing but Ponder was MVP when he played in it, If that means anything. Derek is a lot better then people give him credit for & He still is fighting to get out of his brother's shadow. He did all drills at the combine & looked good doing them but what I didn;t like is he didn't throw. This B>S about he didn't want to look bad because he isnt familiar with the receivers is bull.. It's the same receivers that was at the senior bowl right? Its got me why most of the QBs this year decided to skip the throwing drill at the combine.
KANFAN

Wichita, KS

#8 Mar 4, 2014
All this talk about drafting a short QB because Wilson is short. Wilson may have won a ring....but it was not HIS work that did it. Defense, Baby. And we lost because of??? Defense, Baby.
We best go defense in rd 1, then QB.....one of these....
Carr...would have to move back into the 1st rd....not happening.
Grapallo (sp)....fits the bill
Mettenberger....good arm, good leader....I like him but he is rehabbing. But PLEASE, use one of those 3rd round picks on him.
Do NOT force a draft for need (QB)....not enough difference in quality when our #8 turn is on the clock.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#9 Mar 4, 2014
I like Garoppolo The guy can see all of the field & has such a quick release but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 49ers taking him in the second as backup to Kaepernick they got a lot draft picks so it wouldn't hurt them to take that chance. I am for a strong defense also It's still a strong D that wins the super bowl. The Vikes need a linebacker that can get to the QB & still drop back & cover & theres a few good ones in this draft. The Vikings talked about getting more draft picks & maybe more then one QB in the draft if they do trade back for more picks Look for them to pick up more then one QB. What two would you want if this was to happen?
KANFAN

Wichita, KS

#10 Mar 5, 2014
Pretty simple....Ponder is still a viable QB who is better than most QBs drafted outside the top100....at this time.
So I'm focused on the ANTI-Ponder type QB. Mobile but not a runner. A pocket QB with the big arm, quick release. NO Johnny Manziel.
While I would not be too upset with Carr....but not at 8. Defense.
Meaning....Garoppolo or Mettenberger in rds 2 or 3...depending.
Who we acquire in FA will determine where we concentrate in the draft.
I am not a fan of Cassel but he is the anti-Ponder QB. Not a fan of Musk-rat but in his defense, they were scoring. The defense sucked.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#11 Mar 5, 2014
KANFAN wrote:
Pretty simple....Ponder is still a viable QB who is better than most QBs drafted outside the top100....at this time.
So I'm focused on the ANTI-Ponder type QB. Mobile but not a runner. A pocket QB with the big arm, quick release. NO Johnny Manziel.
While I would not be too upset with Carr....but not at 8. Defense.
Meaning....Garoppolo or Mettenberger in rds 2 or 3...depending.
Who we acquire in FA will determine where we concentrate in the draft.
I am not a fan of Cassel but he is the anti-Ponder QB. Not a fan of Musk-rat but in his defense, they were scoring. The defense sucked.
You are correct, FA is going to be decisive as to what we do in the draft. How many defensive players we bring back and how many we have to let go.

Was also thinking that if we got a good Vet to backup or replace Ponder, it might be worth our while to trade off the #8 draft position and get 2 or 3 more picks in later rounds. That way we could go very heavy on defense and still get a rookie QB for depth and grooming.
eric

Monroe, WI

#12 Mar 6, 2014
Magnum Man II wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, FA is going to be decisive as to what we do in the draft. How many defensive players we bring back and how many we have to let go.
Was also thinking that if we got a good Vet to backup or replace Ponder, it might be worth our while to trade off the #8 draft position and get 2 or 3 more picks in later rounds. That way we could go very heavy on defense and still get a rookie QB for depth and grooming.
Good Call MM II I was wondering if Minn. would trade the 8th for a later 1st and another pick upper/mid draft...First i was thinking they would draft Carr ( QB Fresno State)..but got to thinking lately,( after chatting with a Fan a day or so ago) Maybe Minn should sign a vet and do a Ted Thompson,sign the vet,then trade down for an extra pick.
KANFAN

Wichita, KS

#13 Mar 6, 2014
Magnum Man II wrote:
<quoted text>
By next week we will know....If we don't secure our DE position prior to the draft, we will be going defense...fer sure. Personally, I would not pass up an elite player in the draft, either defense or offense, just to fill our QB position. Take BPA or trade....but not too far down. I believe the player picked absolutely must play this season. Uuuummm, what "good" vet are you thinking about to replace Ponder?
eric

Monroe, WI

#14 Mar 6, 2014
Adrian Peterson said he wants Michael Vick in Minnesota,so for what thats worth,,lets see if management will listen to the franchise

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ricardo Lockette 3 hr Stubby 4
Adrian Peterson Indicted For Child Abuse 10 hr AllDay 99
A True Vikings Fan has gone to Valhalla 14 hr 40for60 21
Vikings at Saints game thread 16 hr Stubby 51
Where is Childress? 21 hr Gonzo 5
Patss vs Vikings game thread 21 hr Gonzo 28
Scandal-Stained Vikings Visit 0-2 Saints Sun Soiled 2
•••
•••

Minnesota Vikings People Search