On the state of Christian Ponder's progress

Jun 20, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ESPN

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Standing with reporters Thursday on the final day of the Minnesota Vikings ' offseason program, quarterback Christian Ponder provided this summary of his work with the offense: "We definitely got better, but there were some days that were better than others."

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of95
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

This is a really good article I think what this guy said about Ponder is right on - ( When he was good, he was really good. And when he was bad, he was awful.)
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Its what I have been saying about about Ponder - As the chart shows, Ponder was a top-10 quarterback based on Total Quarterback Rating in half of the Vikings' games and one of the NFL's worst in the other half. Not surprisingly, the Vikings were 7-1 in the former and 3-5 in the latter.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

viking nation wrote:
Its what I have been saying about about Ponder - As the chart shows, Ponder was a top-10 quarterback based on Total Quarterback Rating in half of the Vikings' games and one of the NFL's worst in the other half. Not surprisingly, the Vikings were 7-1 in the former and 3-5 in the latter.
But when Ponder is bad he is horrible and he is still showing lack of consistency. I want him to be good all the time.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Avant wrote:
<quoted text>But when Ponder is bad he is horrible and he is still showing lack of . I want him to be good all the time.
True I would like the same but Ponder is young. You know Cam Newton has the same inconsistency as Ponder but Newton was never in the top-10 quarterback based on total Quarterback Rating. I think Ponder being in the top 10 QB rating the first half of the season shows he has potential. Sure he needs to work on his decisions but he young & that comes with time. A lot of this criticizing is a little to much being he was in the top-10 for half of a season.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

viking nation wrote:
<quoted text>True I would like the same but Ponder is young. You know Cam Newton has the same inconsistency as Ponder but Newton was never in the top-10 quarterback based on total Quarterback Rating. I think Ponder being in the top 10 QB rating the first half of the season shows he has potential. Sure he needs to work on his decisions but he young & that comes with time. A lot of this criticizing is a little to much being he was in the top-10 for half of a season.
He's struggling again.
http://min.scout.com/2/1310641.html
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2013

Avant wrote:
<quoted text>He's struggling again.
http://min.scout.com/2/1310641.html
It's practice You like jay Cutler & you think he is a good QB right. Did you hear what Jay Cutler did in practice, for two days straight Cutler started each practice with a INT on his first throw of practice. Brady also had a INT on a deep ball that was way off target. That's why they practice. I wouldn't read to much into it.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

viking nation wrote:
<quoted text>It's practice You like jay Cutler & you think he is a good QB right. Did you hear what Jay Cutler did in practice, for two days straight Cutler started each practice with a INT on his first throw of practice. Brady also had a INT on a deep ball that was way off target. That's why they practice. I wouldn't read to much into it.
Jay Cutler is not a winner. Wrong comparison.

The article could have been wrote 2 years ago. Seems he's not getting better.
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

viking nation wrote:
<quoted text>True I would like the same but Ponder is young. You know Cam Newton has the same inconsistency as Ponder but Newton was never in the top-10 quarterback based on total Quarterback Rating. I think Ponder being in the top 10 QB rating the first half of the season shows he has potential. Sure he needs to work on his decisions but he young & that comes with time. A lot of this criticizing is a little to much being he was in the top-10 for half of a season.
I am curious about your stats posted. What do you mean Cam was never top 10 in QBR? Are referring to full season?, half season?, single game? What? I have a hard time following your logic without knowing what figures you are referring to. Please give your Cam stas on QBR you are using, please label them.

“Expect No Mercy”

Since: Jun 09

Pensacola, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Avant wrote:
<quoted text>Jay Cutler is not a winner. Wrong comparison.
The article could have been wrote 2 years ago. Seems he's not getting better.
You're ability to see the whole picture of a football team and knowledge isnt getting any better either, as a matter of fact, it has regressed ( if that is even possible )

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

ProCynic wrote:
<quoted text>You're ability to see the whole picture of a football team and knowledge isnt getting any better either, as a matter of fact, it has regressed ( if that is even possible )
Facts, that's all I bring to the table. We have a great team hands down the best in our division but for the QB position.

NFL network was showing Vikings practice live Matt Cassel looked as if he was team leader. Wish there was a way we could get Teddy Bridgewater the next GREAT NFL QB..

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I am curious about your stats posted. What do you mean Cam was never top 10 in QBR? Are referring to full season?, half season?, single game? What? I have a hard time following your logic without knowing what figures you are referring to. Please give your Cam stas on QBR you are using, please label them.
Viking Nation doesn't watch or look at Cam Newton's statistic he listens to the pundits and repeats what they say. Newton statically has had the greatest first two season in QB history but he stuck on that they haven't won YET.

If the Vikings has Newton we would be favored for the superbowl.

Davenport, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

S.D.is looking to rebuild.In fact they covet Bridgewater.
Rivers can be had for a price.
On a side note
ALL
know about jimmy wrong, all the time and stuck on himself.
Yahoo sports fantasy loves Patterson,they believe he's a deep ball,slot or anywhere.
Ponder is looking great in camp and is now poised with deep threats and personally,I would love Patterson in the slot (his 1st year only).

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Childress wrote:
S.D.is looking to rebuild.In fact they covet Bridgewater.
Rivers can be had for a price.
On a side note
ALL
know about jimmy wrong, all the time and stuck on himself.
Yahoo sports fantasy loves Patterson,they believe he's a deep ball,slot or anywhere.
Ponder is looking great in camp and is now poised with deep threats and personally,I would love Patterson in the slot (his 1st year only).
Are you saying bring Rivers to the vikings? He looks like he is on the down side of his career.

Patriots say Tebow who you once thought was a franchise QB looks horrendous and he is one of the best QB's you ever supported so the QB position you should stop talking about.

Davenport, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

ProCynic wrote:
<quoted text>You're ability to see the whole picture of a football team and knowledge isnt getting any better either, as a matter of fact, it has regressed ( if that is even possible )
T.Jackson is all you needed.Jimmy knows nothing about anything.5,000 post by Avant while everybody puked on his T.Jackson ramblings.
Haven't seen you in our site lately?
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

I would only put Patterson in the slot on a few plays We have Wright & Jennings also plays the slot pretty good. On Ponder INTs being inconsistent, That will change once he & the receiver get thier timing down with each other. I think the few days of camp looked pretty good over all. Did you guys hear that Williams will split time with Floyd?

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

viking nation wrote:
I would only put Patterson in the slot on a few plays We have Wright & Jennings also plays the slot pretty good. On Ponder INTs being inconsistent, That will change once he & the receiver get thier timing down with each other. I think the few days of camp looked pretty good over all. Did you guys hear that Williams will split time with Floyd?
Kevin Seifert
Ponder has had some poor throws that have really been eye popping. Can't overthrow people like that in low-intensity practices.
This is today Ponder is not getting any better.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/7...

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Kevin Seifert
Cassel has looked like a pro. I don't view him as a guy that would be a long-term starter here. He would be a Band-Aid if Ponder flops.

Seifert has no confidence in Ponder. This is worrisome.
viking nation

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

I agree with you, The QB shouldn't be over throwing people in a non contact practices. But it's happening all over the league right now not only with Ponder. The Bears defense started out each of the last two practices by intercepting Jay Cutler on his first pass attempt. & he also had many over throws. Colin Kaepernick wasn't looking to sharp in practice so it isn't only Ponder. This time of the year I don't worry about the INTs because the defenses are always ahead of the offenses & Seifert
knows it. Now the over throws I care more about but a lot of that is just getting the timing down with the receiver. If this was happing in a padded practice I would care a lot more. Lets see later this summer what happens when its a padded practice.

Davenport, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

The slot is Pattersons best fit.Easier to learn where you need to be,drop wise.You can get the ball in his hands more.You can script him x-amt of wr1 and wr2 plays,you can still use his slot position deep.Plus Jennings and Simpson/Wright are more receiver 1 & 2 ready.Ponder should have a field day with my way of seeing using the rookie.Lastly the defenses will have to account for things,making Peterson more deadly,if that's possible.Rudolph and Carlson should crush the rest of things.Plus the FB.
Let's play.

Davenport, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2013

Avant wrote:
<quoted text>Facts, that's all I bring to the table. We have a great team hands down the best in our division but for the QB position.
NFL network was showing Vikings practice live Matt Cassel looked as if he was team leader. Wish there was a way we could get Teddy Bridgewater the next GREAT NFL QB..
As W.C.Fields once said,
"ahh yessss"
Here is the beginning of Jimmy and his love affair with T.Jackson.
It was the summer of 06,training camp just ended and in game 1 pre season,Childress puts Jackson in the game.Jackson was running and scrambling wild,throwing balls 50 + yds with power.
Jimmy proclaimed a qb with 10 pro bowls and worth a 100 million contract.Forget the fact it was the 1st pre season game,no defensive scheme and back up players were in the game.Jimmy was sure,
sure,
sure,that the Vikings had their qb.He recently said he based it on where Childress drafted him and the compensation.LIAR.It was game 1 preseason 06.
In addition all his qb likes are runners,who throw a deep ball.Culpepper,T.Jackson,RG3,N ewton and they have to be black.
He dislikes Brady,both Mannings,Romo,Cutler and all white Qb's minus Rodgers.
Yet he claims Rodgers makes G.B. go while at the same time pointing out how stat wise Newton is the best 2 year starter ever.Intersting how Rodgers as the only GB weapon does well but not Newton.
Ahhh yes,it's training camp and just like his clueless rants on TJ in 06,he now does the same with Ponder.The difference?A love of Jackson and a hate of Ponder.
Avant knows as much as he ever did.NOTHING.Plus he has no consistency or nor does he make sense,Rodgers/Newton.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of95
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Minnesota Vikings Forum right now

Search the Minnesota Vikings Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MCM 2014 Community Mock Draft: The Minnesota Vi... 46 min viking nation 3
**** 1st Round Draft Pick Is ***** 2 hr viking nation 34
NFL Executives Think Josh Freeman Was Done Wron... 5 hr Harry 5
Tom Savage Fri viking nation 32
2014 NN community mock draft: With the 8th pick... Apr 16 Lito 1
Darren Sharper: Ex-Viking challenging his no-ba... Apr 16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Minnesota Vikings 2014 draft preview: Quarterback Apr 15 viking nation 1
•••
•••