Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 9, 2013

Since: Dec 06

Davenport, FL

#1 Jan 28, 2013
Maybe we should fire everybody involved in Viking drafts.
In rd 2 we grabbed Cook.
Many a star followed.
Reference that draft.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#2 Feb 1, 2013
Yeah, a few elite talents went shortly after we picked. It was reported the Vikings wanted Patrick Robinson, who has been a beast for N.O. Well, he didn't fall, and the Vikes just went with the next corner on thier list. Gronkowski would be nice & it's not like we couldn't use a TE - we took one the next year. Nate Allen's been a pretty good safety - I though he was a possible selection for us. But of course, Daryl Washington is an absolute beast. How did we not know about him and with the gapping holes we have at linebacker?

The Gerhardt pick was always puzzling to me, as well.( easing way up, there.) Plenty of better fits with higher impact went after he was picked. Plenty even at RB.

“Lying scumbags need not apply”

Since: Jan 08

Yorktown, VA

#3 Feb 2, 2013
Patrick Robinson a beast? Not really. He's got a few picks and some good pass defended numbers. He also has a bad stat in that he gave up 1071 yards. One of only 4 players in last several years to give up that much.

The reason why Cook doesn't have the picks and PD stats is because he covers his guy better and QBs see that and tend not to throw at him. Don't believe me, then how about believing Pro Football Focus https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01...

Peterson allows a low percentage of catches but either he sucks at tackling or when he does blow coverage he blows it big. 1000+ yds given up is not good. Kind of explains some of the New Orleans games this year.

Minneapolis

#4 Feb 2, 2013
You like Cook? He has zero career interceptions and zero complete seasons. In 3 years, he's been in 22 games, i believe. Also, Profootball focus rated in 2011 that we had a real beast in Guion at defensive tackle. Maaaybe you shouldn't undervalue getting the ball back. Guess you were not a Paul Krause fan. Guy couldn't cover for anything.:D

Yorktown, VA

#5 Feb 3, 2013
Cook's biggest knock is dependability. Will he be there for the games? However, when he is there not many passes get thrown to who he is covering and if thrown that way he makes the tackle. Overall he's better than many other CBs.

I always thought risk takers who get INTs also are the guys who get burned for TDs. Reference Champ Bailey getting burned several times in Denver's playoff loss.

Davenport, FL

#6 Feb 3, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Cook's biggest knock is dependability. Will he be there for the games? However, when he is there not many passes get thrown to who he is covering and if thrown that way he makes the tackle. Overall he's better than many other CBs.
I always thought risk takers who get INTs also are the guys who get burned for TDs. Reference Champ Bailey getting burned several times in Denver's playoff loss.
Agreed,and after he went down this year,we gave up more,less when he returned.

Minneapolis

#7 Feb 3, 2013
well, and cook has shown he will not be there for games. Cook is not a shut-down corner, he doesn't find the ball well in the air, but he's better than what the vikes have had outside of winfield. certainly, teams will throw more where there is no coverage than where there is marginal coverage. Cook's ok, but i'd have cut/traded him & i still would. You guys happen to love women beaters, but i do not. he is a piece of garbage. I pretty much think anyone who would cheer for him is the same. whatever happened to morality & ethics? you guys are despicable.

Davenport, FL

#8 Feb 3, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
well, and cook has shown he will not be there for games. Cook is not a shut-down corner, he doesn't find the ball well in the air, but he's better than what the vikes have had outside of winfield. certainly, teams will throw more where there is no coverage than where there is marginal coverage. Cook's ok, but i'd have cut/traded him & i still would. You guys happen to love women beaters, but i do not. he is a piece of garbage. I pretty much think anyone who would cheer for him is the same. whatever happened to morality & ethics? you guys are despicable.
Dude.
get lost,I'm done with you.
you been in here insulting everybody for 2 years,we ALL used patience and diplomacy with your behavior.Personally i wanted to cut you out years ago but persevered.
Later Chump and a dumb one at that.

Minneapolis

#9 Feb 3, 2013
Been here a lot longer than 2 years, childress. What, you dispute Cook is a woman beater or that you like him? Frankly, i see no reason to cheer for cook, a woman beater. It's despicable to use cook as one of the poster-boys for the vikings drafting well. You don't like me for that opinion, don't respond

Yorktown, VA

#10 Feb 3, 2013
Real mature. You get proven wrong on the merits of play in football and bring up non-football reference to bash a player. You are just like Avant who was going off about the Favre text messages and forgetting that Favre took the team to the playoffs.

At times you appear to be smarter than Avant while at others you sounds just like him.

Minneapolis

#11 Feb 3, 2013
Stubby wrote:
Real mature. You get proven wrong on the merits of play in football and bring up non-football reference to bash a player. You are just like Avant who was going off about the Favre text messages and forgetting that Favre took the team to the playoffs.
At times you appear to be smarter than Avant while at others you sounds just like him.
I've been consistent on Cook. He's not much of a corner, PFF has thier own special stats which you reference where he grades out well, and you pointed it out. I can't cheer for him, at all, and am surprised so many fans like yourself can. shocks me. But on football, he has zero career interceptions, zero career complete seasons and when teams decide thier gonna throw his way anyway, they are able to do it just fine. Calvin Johnson, for instance, although he eats up most corners. Fact is, the vikings would have been better off with at least 3 players who went between cook and Gerhardt instead of cook. That's just on football merit & i don't think it's debatable, but maybe you do. As for Avant, pretty sure he has nothing to do with this thread, but yes, he says loads of idiotic stuff; most of his posts. You say stupid things as well, Stubby,- like philly running a 3-4 in 2012- but i don't need to compare you with him to get a point across.

Yorktown, VA

#12 Feb 4, 2013
I don't cheer for him. It's more like I groan in agony when I see scrub CB on the field when Cook isn't. AJ Jefferson? Really? That's the best they could find in the off season.
he had one of his worst games last year was against the Vikings. Who covered him? Yep, Chris Cook.

Game 1 with Cook - CJ 54 yds on 5 catches
Game 2 without Cook - CJ 207 yds on 12 catches
At times they had Sherels covering CJ. Real bad mistake on Alan Williams and Fraziers part. They know better.

Minneapolis

#13 Feb 4, 2013
Stubby wrote:
I don't cheer for him. It's more like I groan in agony when I see scrub CB on the field when Cook isn't. AJ Jefferson? Really? That's the best they could find in the off season.
he had one of his worst games last year was against the Vikings. Who covered him? Yep, Chris Cook.
Game 1 with Cook - CJ 54 yds on 5 catches
Game 2 without Cook - CJ 207 yds on 12 catches
At times they had Sherels covering CJ. Real bad mistake on Alan Williams and Fraziers part. They know better.
Yeah, cook did well against detroit this year. He's not my kind of corner at all, besides the thug stuff. He plays off, plays loose, stuff like that. Detroit only takes calvin deep that game, so it works. http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_...

Like they talk about a bit there, what i would want if I were the DC, would be to have cook up at the line more getting his hands on receivers at the start. So, i really don't think Cook is much of a corner - with the no interceptions, the no complete seasons, and the soft zone stuff. But, he plays the run pretty well & he does what the vikes want pretty well. and, of course, he is better than AJ Jefferson, as you state. I do not think Chris Cook is an elite talent worth selling your soul for & abandoning all ethics/morality. Cook is hardly the transcendent talent many of my fello vikes fans seem to think he is - a wafer cookie looks pretty fine when you're starving to death.

I think the Vikings are bigger than Chris Cook & he should have been sent packing. I thought Childress was serious with his first post in this thread about the stars who went after Cook, but maybe it was sarcasm and Childress doesn't recognize those names. Anyway, I like the potential of Robinson, so maybe the Vikes can actually draft corners. Hope for the best.

Yorktown, VA

#14 Feb 4, 2013
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, cook did well against detroit this year. He's not my kind of corner at all, besides the thug stuff. He plays off, plays loose, stuff like that......
You just highlighted the real problem. Cook isn't an ideal Cover 2 corner, he's a press coverage guy. I'm in Virginia and watched him at UVA. He mauled receivers coming off the snap and got them out of their routes. That's how he got some big INT numbers that drew draft interest.

Cover-2 is zone requiring smart players who stay on their assignments, are quick to hand off coverage to teammate and pick up coverage in return and are steady tacklers. Also have to have instincts and break for the ball. Cook has first part qualities but doesn't seem to have the eyes in the back of his head instincts that makes him turn and make the break on the ball.

Another problem with Cover 2 is with 3 or more WR sets. Cook and Winfield get the job done but the talent drop off is so steep it led to huge mismatches. In Det game 2, a couple times Megatron got handed off in coverage to Sherels. Yea #6 on depth chart Sherels.

Robinson made great strides and I could see him and Cook outside with Winfield on the slot were he excels. Something else I always thought was if they picked up another starting CB they should move Cook to Safety. He'd be and upgrade over Sanford and it would point his eyes toward the QB to help him see the pass and make the break on the ball. Would also give them more deep help against the Megatrons and other big WRs.

Speaking of moving players, in nickel I think both Henderson and Brinkley should come out and Everson Griffen take over the MLB mid center coverage. Griffen can match up with big TEs and can outrun nearly every TE in the league. Plus he's already showed his ability to go up after a ball for an INT. His freaky athleticism hasn't been used fully.

Minneapolis

#15 Feb 4, 2013
Griffen had 9 sacks in spot duty. More than Robison. He should be starting at DE, move to DT for passing downs. He failed at linebacker, couldn't get a feel for space. Frankly, I'd consider moving Allen, if the compensation was enough, but at minimum, I'd replace Robison with Griffen. Vikes were much better against the run with Griffen than robison from what I seen & with how crazy-good griffen looked toward the end of the year, I don't see how you can spot duty that. gotta get him on the field.

Minneapolis

#16 Feb 4, 2013
oh, I like Robinson. He has picks. I find the other teams offense scores less when ours is on the field. I'm all for developing him.

Minneapolis

#17 Feb 5, 2013
Vikes play Tampa 2 as base. 3 wr sets do not point out some flaw in Tampa 2. Vikes then may play nickel. On Tampa two, corner has short zone, and the proper technique is to force outside release. Cook does not do that. Like ced griffin before him, he allows inside releases with a soft zone. He needs to play up and stop those easy routes into the area in front of MLB. Those do not count against cook in stats, but it is his fault. Hope that helps.

Yorktown, VA

#18 Feb 6, 2013
How come two CBs playing the same position do the same thing with inside release on soft zones? Because the coach has them do it. During the rotation of CBs we've seen over the last few years they all do the same thing. Is's part of the Vikings scheme. I don't like it either. Way too many crucial 3rd downs given up because of this coverage.
Harry

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Feb 9, 2013
Welcome to the off season.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings vs. Tennessee Titans: Live Sc... 20 min viking nation 6
Preseason Trends 1 hr GBPmies 12
5 Worst Teams In NFL Heading Into 2014 Season Thu Flatulence Fred 21
Minnesota Vikings Final Preseason Game Is For T... Thu Spielman 2
Teddy Bridgewater vs. Matt Cassel, who starts Wed Magnum Man II 28
Tom Powers: Vikings' offense apparently was bet... Wed Training Camp News 6
Minnesota Vikings 2014 Season Preview Wed Spielman 12
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000