Minnesota Vikings release Antoine Win...

Minnesota Vikings release Antoine Winfield

There are 11 comments on the TwinCities story from Mar 12, 2013, titled Minnesota Vikings release Antoine Winfield. In it, TwinCities reports that:

Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield laughs during practice at Blakeslee Stadium in Mankato on Wednesday, August 15, 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.

viking nation

Madera, CA

#1 Mar 12, 2013
I am going to miss Winfield. Great player, gave a big hit & always gave a 100% to his team. I hope the Vikes have someone in mind to replace him.
Purple pride

Hammond, IN

#2 Mar 12, 2013
By cutting Winfield and Harvin we have cut the heart and soul of this team, not to mention the two toughest players in the squad. Tragic week in Minnesota.
viking nation

Madera, CA

#3 Mar 13, 2013
I dont think cutting Winfield will hurt as much as some may think. Winfield is 36 years old. He couldn't cover the speedy receiver anymore. he still could gave that big hit that everyone knew him by but for sure lost a few steps & by letting him go it gives the Vikes more cap room. Winfield wouldn't take less money so they had to let him go. I wish him well he is a hell of a player but his age & drop in speed isnt worth the big money contract.
GBPmies

Finland

#4 Mar 13, 2013
viking nation wrote:
I dont think cutting Winfield will hurt as much as some may think. Winfield is 36 years old. He couldn't cover the speedy receiver anymore. he still could gave that big hit that everyone knew him by but for sure lost a few steps & by letting him go it gives the Vikes more cap room. Winfield wouldn't take less money so they had to let him go. I wish him well he is a hell of a player but his age & drop in speed isnt worth the big money contract.
I am not aware the vikings asked him to take less money, did they?I don't think so. I thought they just dropped the bomb on him right before FA started while he was working out at the team facilities. That is just mean, they should have at least gave him some time to get ready for FA. He was paid too much this year though but he also was a big part of the VIkings success last year. He was their best corner no doubt, they have Cook and Robinson next in line, after that ????

“After nine years in the organization, the cornerback believed he deserved better, that he was owed more. On top of that, the source said, contrary to other published reports, the Vikings never had formally proposed a possible restructuring of Winfield’s contract as a means of keeping him.”
--- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/...
viking nation

Madera, CA

#5 Mar 13, 2013
The Vikings dd offer Winfild less money Earlier in the offseason, Vikings brass had approached Winfield about taking a pay cut in 2013, but after another very productive year with 100 tackles and three picks, the Winfield camp was less than enthused about a renegotiation for less money
viking nation

Madera, CA

#6 Mar 13, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not aware the vikings asked him to take less money, did they?I don't think so. I thought they just dropped the bomb on him right before FA started while he was working out at the team facilities. That is just mean, they should have at least gave him some time to get ready for FA. He was paid too much this year though but he also was a big part of the VIkings success last year. He was their best corner no doubt, they have Cook and Robinson next in line, after that ????
“After nine years in the organization, the cornerback believed he deserved better, that he was owed more. On top of that, the source said, contrary to other published reports, the Vikings never had formally proposed a possible restructuring of Winfield’s contract as a means of keeping him.”
--- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/...
They did offer winfild less money take a look..http://thevikingage.com/ 2013/03/12/vikings-release-ant oine-winfield-clear-up-7-25-mi llion-in-cap-space/
viking nation

Madera, CA

#7 Mar 13, 2013
viking nation

Madera, CA

#8 Mar 13, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not aware the vikings asked him to take less money, did they?I don't think so. I thought they just dropped the bomb on him right before FA started while he was working out at the team facilities. That is just mean, they should have at least gave him some time to get ready for FA. He was paid too much this year though but he also was a big part of the VIkings success last year. He was their best corner no doubt, they have Cook and Robinson next in line, after that ????
“After nine years in the organization, the cornerback believed he deserved better, that he was owed more. On top of that, the source said, contrary to other published reports, the Vikings never had formally proposed a possible restructuring of Winfield’s contract as a means of keeping him.”
--- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/...
I dont have a disagreement with our statement your right a 100% But he his 36 & they did try to offer him less. Winfield wasn't used in all of the defensive plays & his cap money was over 7 million. & the Vikes do say they will resign him for less if he is willing to take a cut & if no one wants to sign him. But winfild isn't used a lot & really wasn't covering anyone in the passing game. He was better now at stoping the run.
GBPmies

Finland

#9 Mar 14, 2013
viking nation wrote:
<quoted text>I dont have a disagreement with our statement your right a 100% But he his 36 & they did try to offer him less. Winfield wasn't used in all of the defensive plays & his cap money was over 7 million. & the Vikes do say they will resign him for less if he is willing to take a cut & if no one wants to sign him. But winfild isn't used a lot & really wasn't covering anyone in the passing game. He was better now at stoping the run.
This was writen at the bottom of your article.

"Editor’s Note: There seems to be some discrepency about whether or not the Vikings asked Antoine Winfield to take a pay cut. I’ll just let those with the sources duke it out Twitter-style"

My info came from here

“After nine years in the organization, the cornerback believed he deserved better, that he was owed more. On top of that, the source said, contrary to other published reports, the Vikings never had formally proposed a possible restructuring of Winfield’s contract as a means of keeping him.
And while that wasn’t a pitch the cornerback’s camp had been willing to entertain, the proposal should have been made if the Vikings seriously were entertaining having Winfield back.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/197...
GBPmies

Finland

#10 Mar 14, 2013
viking nation wrote:
<quoted text> But winfild isn't used a lot & really wasn't covering anyone in the passing game. He was better now at stoping the run.
You make it sound if he is this old guy seldom used during the game. He played 89.8% of the snaps last season (1,076 total, including playoffs. Many games with a broken hand!

110 tackles, 11 for loss, three interceptions, a fumble recovery and 13 passes defended.

viking nation

Madera, CA

#11 Mar 14, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
You make it sound if he is this old guy seldom used during the game. He played 89.8% of the snaps last season (1,076 total, including playoffs. Many games with a broken hand!
110 tackles, 11 for loss, three interceptions, a fumble recovery and 13 passes defended.
lol He is 36 & he has lost a few steps. Winfield is agreat player & yes played through a injury but he wouldn't take less money The vikings would be happy to re-sign him for less & as you see they did offer him less money & his people or agent wasn't going for it. I didnt make it up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adrian Peterson Is back returns to OTAs 15 min ProCynic 4
The real Adrian Peterson 4 hr Harry 49
News Vikings Excited About Develeopment Of DE Scott ... 15 hr Spielman 24
News Miami Dolphins: What will be the role of Greg J... Mon Spielman 10
News Darren Sharper Pleads Guilty to Federal Charges... May 29 tom wingo 2
News Raiders' QB Ponder says he's got Carr's back May 29 tom wingo 12
News Coach Mike Zimmer says Adrian Peterson's option... May 29 A Limpdik PenisBrain 1
More from around the web