Vikings keying on intangibles against Packers

Dec 29, 2012 Full story: The Miami Herald 111

Give this matchup a long, hard look. Break out every metric possible to aid the analysis.

Full Story

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#44 Dec 31, 2012
jim wrote:
BEARS. Thanks for the memories,
Because that is ALL us
CHICAGO FANS will have
AGAIN! 7 WINS & 1 LOSS
& YOU CRUMBLE. THANKS
FOR NOTHING!! LOVIE MUST GO !
Big mistake getting rid of him.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#45 Dec 31, 2012
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Thug DB William's helped blow the game....
Better draft pick! Something to look forward too.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#46 Jan 1, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Big mistake getting rid of him.
Possibly....at least Lovey took the Bears to a Superbowl....
Viking Fanatic

Los Angeles, CA

#48 Jan 1, 2013
It really Pisses me off, that the Vikings are still getting no Love :( what up with that ? I'll be the first person to Admitt, I didn't think Frazier was the right coach, I didn't think Ponder had it in him, I didn't think they could beat the 49ers, Bears, Texans or Packers . I thought maybe they could get 4 or 5 wins this year, Maybe ! I was WRONG !!!!!!! Week after week, they Prove that Frazier is a pretty good coach, and just Maybe Christian Ponder can become Special, Maybe :) I've been a Die Hard Viking Fan for 40 years and I think this team is Looking Pretty Special right now :) so let's give this team the Respect and Love they Deserve, let's go to GreenBay and open up a whole case of Whoop Ass and show them what were made of ! I'LL TAKE THE VIKINGS ON SATURDAY BY SEVEN :) Skol Vikes

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#49 Jan 1, 2013
Alway's remember, Troy Aikman's first year, the Cowboys were 1-15.....Ponder's gonna be fine....
eric

Poseyville, IN

#50 Jan 1, 2013
True but Dan Marino got the Dolphins to the SB his rookie season.How many more did he get to after that?
I do agree though,Ponder will be ok,He will end up being a very good qb in this league.Aikman is also a HOFer and thats quite a stretch and pressure put on Ponder.
eric

Poseyville, IN

#51 Jan 1, 2013
It is a shame that the Giants didnt make the playoffs,that darn ending stretch cost them,the 2 big loses in the end when NY is usually peaking got them.
No shame in that though.A defending SB champ and won another one in 08 so thats 2 SB in a 4 year span and im sure they will be back in contention next year.Manning is a great qb,you have Cruz ect.Losing Manningham,Brandon Jacobs and a few others got them but thats the cap as well.You cant keep everyone every year.Thats what its designed to do.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#52 Jan 1, 2013
eric wrote:
Congrats to Minnesota and Job well done! AP you fell 9 yards short,but, congrats on the most coragous effort ( NFL wise) ive seen!
See ya next week at Lambeau as #3 GB faces #6 Minn and #5 Seattle vs Dal/Was who will be #4
winner of GB/Min should play ATL
and the winner of Seattle,Washington Dal should play SF
Chicago well,Pakluv1 7-1 and you miss the playoffs!
LBF,sorry we didnt get the job done this week
Minn is 7-1 at home 2-6 on the road,so i still love GB chances next week vs Minn at Lambeau
I wouldnt put much stock in that 2-6 on the road cause it also happened to be the last two on the road.I think the defense and turnovers will decide the game.
Reggie11-5

West Babylon, NY

#53 Jan 1, 2013
Glad that the giants arent in it because GB just cant do anything against them both offense , defense.
Speaking of defense - peterson again around 200 yards ??i mean cmon what does that say about us tackling him - not very good! yeah yeah i know everyone is saying hes like a super god or something but cmon there were plenty of misstackles on him and we looked a bit foolish.
What about ponder having all of the time in the world to throw the ball??
The pass in the 4th quarter towards the latter part of the game to the 50 yard line i believe to me was the one that put the nail in the coffin.
Secondary and the pass rush has to step it up better - you give any decent qb all day to throw you are going to get burned !
Last time they met ponder made errors and lost but barely this time ponder was really good and look at the result.
This game coming up capers better figure out how to get to ponder like a few weeks ago and someway contain peterson.close to 400 yards in the 2 games they met= unacceptable.
By the way = Happy New Year!
eric

Poseyville, IN

#54 Jan 1, 2013
AP will get his for sure,He did the first 2 games vs GB this year,They have to rough up Ponder.If they can get Ponder back to the level of game 1 GB wins it,IF Ponder plays the almost perfect game he did last weekend,Minn has a good shot of winning it.Thing is GB fell behind 13-0 early and we all know what happened,point is,if GB gets off to a better start,I think GB wins it.The Packer defense has to tackle better for sure and they did give up that 60 yard throw in the 4th,the 3rd and 11 late on the final drive,you prevent that and obviously hold AP from breaking the big ones on a few occasions,GB wins it i believe.
40 mentioned Minn has the aggressive Dline AR is afraid of,but, AR threw for 360 and 4 TD,so GB offense wasnt an issue.I read this morning (looking at the numbers)DuJuan Harris ran 14 times 70 yards so thats 5 per carry and he had no big runs,so thats consistent ( as apposed to a 25 yard run and a bunch of 2 yarders)so they moved it.IF GB starts better,they score more and its hard for me to imagine Ponder will play better then he did last week and again,if they keep AP from busting loose ( yea hes 200 per game vs GB) but not alot of huge runs in game 1 and GB won it,,alot of runs where AP should have been stopped after 4 yards and he broke tackles and p/u 7 or 8 so GB has to clean up those tackles more and being a better coverage team allows to pile on the line vs AP and a better chance of keeping AP to a reasonable yard total
eric

Poseyville, IN

#55 Jan 1, 2013
Bleeds Purple wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldnt put much stock in that 2-6 on the road cause it also happened to be the last two on the road.I think the defense and turnovers will decide the game.
You are right but your 2 road wins were STL and Houston ( in the middle of a huge slump)a win is a win,but, they are much better at home then the road ( as with most teams obviously)We will see,but, you would think GB would be favored in this one.GB playoff record at Lambeau has sucked in recent times as well,but, Favre was qb in all but 1 of those.Rodgers only has had 1 playoff game at Lambeau and that was the loss to the NYG last year ( and NY went on to win the SB).AR lost his first playoff game in Arizona in 09,,they went on that great road run in 10 to win it all and last year was his first playoff game at home and he lost,so thats out of the way and we still need to see his first home win at Lambeau but at least he knows what to expect to a certain point

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#56 Jan 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Possibly....at least Lovey took the Bears to a Superbowl....
My point is you cannot win the Super Bowl every year if you have a coach that can keep your team in the running like every year until the last game and many times he's made the playoff. His teams are alway well respected.

If the coach like this knows talent and knows football why waste so much time training in a new coach. He will be picked up fast. Reid ya he lost it bring in Vick he got what he had coming to him.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#57 Jan 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Alway's remember, Troy Aikman's first year, the Cowboys were 1-15.....Ponder's gonna be fine....
Bingo! This has been a lot better year then I expected.
Our coach was trained how to be a head coach by one if the best former Gopher quarterback Tony Dungy.

Give this time I like the physical side of this team. We away went for speed over power. Now you're see what a power team can do.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#58 Jan 1, 2013
Reggie11-5 wrote:
Glad that the giants arent in it because GB just cant do anything against them both offense , defense.
Speaking of defense - peterson again around 200 yards ??i mean cmon what does that say about us tackling him - not very good! yeah yeah i know everyone is saying hes like a super god or something but cmon there were plenty of misstackles on him and we looked a bit foolish.
What about ponder having all of the time in the world to throw the ball??
The pass in the 4th quarter towards the latter part of the game to the 50 yard line i believe to me was the one that put the nail in the coffin.
Secondary and the pass rush has to step it up better - you give any decent qb all day to throw you are going to get burned !
Last time they met ponder made errors and lost but barely this time ponder was really good and look at the result.
This game coming up capers better figure out how to get to ponder like a few weeks ago and someway contain peterson.close to 400 yards in the 2 games they met= unacceptable.
By the way = Happy New Year!
Happy New Year.

The purple is not a completed team we are doing great.( note; it's WE when we're winning. Lol)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#59 Jan 1, 2013
eric wrote:
<quoted text>You are right but your 2 road wins were STL and Houston ( in the middle of a huge slump)a win is a win,but, they are much better at home then the road ( as with most teams obviously)We will see,but, you would think GB would be favored in this one.GB playoff record at Lambeau has sucked in recent times as well,but, Favre was qb in all but 1 of those.Rodgers only has had 1 playoff game at Lambeau and that was the loss to the NYG last year ( and NY went on to win the SB).AR lost his first playoff game in Arizona in 09,,they went on that great road run in 10 to win it all and last year was his first playoff game at home and he lost,so thats out of the way and we still need to see his first home win at Lambeau but at least he knows what to expect to a certain point
I dont know that you could say the rams were in a huge slump cause they won 3 in a row before we played them as well as the game after us and they beat the 49ers.Maybe Houston never was that good cause they had such an easy schedule,Jaguars twice,miami,buffalo,jets,and detroit all teams with losing records.But we cant help that.All our road losses came to playoff teams,Washington,Chicago,Seatt le and Greenbay.Its never easy.You lost the same amount of games on the road as we did.I can tell you the last team I want to play right now is the Packers but the last team you want is the Vikings.You have the homefield advantage but in the playoffs you have to win on the road anyway.Youre one of the guys that said in the beginning of the season we had zero chance of making the playoffs so dont count us out.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#60 Jan 1, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is you cannot win the Super Bowl every year if you have a coach that can keep your team in the running like every year until the last game and many times he's made the playoff. His teams are alway well respected.
If the coach like this knows talent and knows football why waste so much time training in a new coach. He will be picked up fast. Reid ya he lost it bring in Vick he got what he had coming to him.
I think that Pat Shurmer in Cleveland was starting to turn that team around....and they were very shortsighted, giving him only two years, especially in a division with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cinncinnatti.....Big Mistake....
eric

Poseyville, IN

#61 Jan 1, 2013
I am far from counting you out.My point is Minnesota is a much better team at Home then on the road.I predicted Minn to win 6 or 7,Maybe 8 if things broke right and you won 10,so yes,you did a nice job.
Now, Tell me more then a hand full of you guys over in Viking land,picked Minnesota to make the playoffs?
Ive given much credit to Minn for a job well done,When you beat GB,i congratulated you first thing and job well done,i just dont think Minn will beat GB again.Ponder did an exceptional job last weekend,but, can he repeat that again? AP got his 200 yard game twice so he will get his ( ok he hit 199 instead) yards,but, again keep him from huge runs all game and GB should be alright.Im also hoping Randall Cobb being back after missing last weekends game,also Alex Green coming back will help as well.We will see soon enough though
eric

Poseyville, IN

#62 Jan 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I think that Pat Shurmer in Cleveland was starting to turn that team around....and they were very shortsighted, giving him only two years, especially in a division with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cinncinnatti.....Big Mistake....
Especially if he inherited his football knowledge from Fritz,he was a brilliant Football mind for sure!
eric

Poseyville, IN

#63 Jan 1, 2013
Reggie11-5 wrote:
Glad that the giants arent in it because GB just cant do anything against them both offense , defense.
Speaking of defense - peterson again around 200 yards ??i mean cmon what does that say about us tackling him - not very good! yeah yeah i know everyone is saying hes like a super god or something but cmon there were plenty of misstackles on him and we looked a bit foolish.
What about ponder having all of the time in the world to throw the ball??
The pass in the 4th quarter towards the latter part of the game to the 50 yard line i believe to me was the one that put the nail in the coffin.
Secondary and the pass rush has to step it up better - you give any decent qb all day to throw you are going to get burned !
Last time they met ponder made errors and lost but barely this time ponder was really good and look at the result.
This game coming up capers better figure out how to get to ponder like a few weeks ago and someway contain peterson.close to 400 yards in the 2 games they met= unacceptable.
By the way = Happy New Year!
Thats the thing Peterson will get his,we just have to keep hitting him and not letting him get extra yards after the hit like we did last week. Bigger question is,can Ponder play at the same level as last weekend? He did a hell of a job for sure.This is his first Playoff game on the road ( actual first playoff game,but, last week was basically a playoff game for Minnesota so he got a small taste,but, a playoff game on the road is completely different)If he can play again like he did,GB maybe in some trouble.MOST IMPORTANT,Green Bay must start off better then they did.They lost it early,falling behind 13-0,eventually losing by 3.The offense put up 31 and AR threw for 360 and 4 TDs so the offense did their job,AP got 200 yards running again,so hopefully they put helmets on him and hold him to closer to 150 and force Ponder into some Turnovers or at least pressure him into throwing it away ect.In time Ponder will be a terrific qb for sure! I like the kid,but again,his first playoff game and its on the road,a tough thing for sure,Get ready to play,dont take Minn. for granted or count them out and get ready for their defense to be aggressive and hope Finley can come up with a big game helping Rodgers from getting hit as much with quick short throws,clock control ect and Cobb being back can produce as the great WR that he is and he can open it up for Jennings as well.Alex Green hopefully can contribute and be healthy,Ryan Grant can have a carry here and there to give guys a rest and DuJuan Harris had is 14 carries for 70 yards a 5 average but no big runs really so it was fairly consistent ( not like 1 25 yard run and the rest are a yard or 2),so if he can run a bit more,Green can run and Finley can have a nice game with many short quick throws ect an control the clock a bit more and yes pressure Ponder and make him throw,and make him have the game like he did last weekend.If Ponder can match what he did,then hats off to him and Minnesota on their well earned win and we will be back next year to try again,If we can force T.O. and cash in,we should eliminate Minn. and move on to SF the following weekend in round 2.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#64 Jan 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I think that Pat Shurmer in Cleveland was starting to turn that team around....and they were very shortsighted, giving him only two years, especially in a division with Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cinncinnatti.....Big Mistake....
Agreed if a coach isn't a nut job and a smart football guy keep him and get the players he needs. Coaches for the most part get better every year unless they get too full of themselves then they have to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minnesota Vikings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teddy, Vikings Right on Track 1 hr Space ace 3
Running Backs 1 hr Space ace 17
Vikings waive Ot J'Marcus Webb Thu Waived Farter 6
Vikings at Dolphins Thu eric 5
Vikings at Lions Thu eric 21
Minnesota Vikings Should Try to Trade Cordarrel... Dec 14 Farterson 8
Darren Sharper Indicted on Rape Charges: Latest... Dec 14 Tes Ticles 3
More from around the web