COLUMN: What to do with Michael Vick?

Full story: Hattiesburg American

One full season. That's all quarterback Michael Vick has under his belt: one full season in 2006 -- and that was when he was with the Atlanta Falcons, years before he ever played for the Philadelphia Eagles.
Comments
41 - 60 of 133 Comments Last updated Dec 18, 2012
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
4 Pro Bowl selection (2002, 2004, 2005, 2010)
Archie Griffin Award Winner (1999)
Best NFL Player ESPY Award (2003)
Ed Block Courage Award (2009)
NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2010)
In addition, only Randall Cunningham and Steve Young have more rushing yards at the quarterback position than Vick, who is ranked first in career rushing yards among active QB's. Vick is also first among QB's all-time in rushing yards per game, at 53.5 yards per game. Vick also holds several NFL quarterback rushing records, including most rushing yards in one game (173), most 100-yard rushing games (7), and most rushing yards in a single season (1,039) Philadelphia franchise records for points in a half (45) and total yards in a game (592). First player in NFL History with 300 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, four passing TDs and two rushing TDs in one game.
That's not at all below average, is it ?
Don't even mention Mike ConVICK and Steve Young in the same post. Yea one was on the wrong side of the law and the other one is a Lawyer. Care to guess which one is the conVICK?

Since: Jun 12

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Clem wrote:
<quoted text> Don't even mention Mike ConVICK and Steve Young in the same post. Yea one was on the wrong side of the law and the other one is a Lawyer. Care to guess which one is the conVICK?
Don't tell me:

http://americanfootball.wikia.com/wiki/Michae...

But sorry if you don't like the truth. Seems to be a lot of that going on around here.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
4 Pro Bowl selection (2002, 2004, 2005, 2010)
Archie Griffin Award Winner (1999)
Best NFL Player ESPY Award (2003)
Ed Block Courage Award (2009)
NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2010)
In addition, only Randall Cunningham and Steve Young have more rushing yards at the quarterback position than Vick, who is ranked first in career rushing yards among active QB's. Vick is also first among QB's all-time in rushing yards per game, at 53.5 yards per game. Vick also holds several NFL quarterback rushing records, including most rushing yards in one game (173), most 100-yard rushing games (7), and most rushing yards in a single season (1,039) Philadelphia franchise records for points in a half (45) and total yards in a game (592). First player in NFL History with 300 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, four passing TDs and two rushing TDs in one game.
That's not at all below average, is it ?
And in 2012, he was benched in favor of a no name QB. Vick has respectable, but not eye popping stats as a QB. His ability to run masks his passing deficiencies. He is not the most heads up QB in the NFL by a long shot. He is shorter than most NFL QBs which hinders his ability to see over the pass rush. He is no longer a youngster which will slow down his scrambling. Back in the 1960's, it was said that scramblers don't win titles and that still seems to be holding true and Vick is not an effective QB if his running is shut down and as he gets older, that will be easier to do for a defense. He also appears to have gone downhill since 2010, the only season that I would call a great season for him. He is a runner first QB who lives and dies by his mobility. If I were a GM looking for a QB, the last thing I would do is get involved in a bidding war for his services. The Eagles since the mid 80s have had great runners with suspect passing skills nearly every season at QB with Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Vick for all but five of those years and have had only one unsuccessful Super Bowl appearance since the mid 80's.

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>And in 2012, he was benched in favor of a no name QB. Vick has respectable, but not eye popping stats as a QB. His ability to run masks his passing deficiencies. He is not the most heads up QB in the NFL by a long shot. He is shorter than most NFL QBs which hinders his ability to see over the pass rush. He is no longer a youngster which will slow down his scrambling. Back in the 1960's, it was said that scramblers don't win titles and that still seems to be holding true and Vick is not an effective QB if his running is shut down and as he gets older, that will be easier to do for a defense. He also appears to have gone downhill since 2010, the only season that I would call a great season for him. He is a runner first QB who lives and dies by his mobility. If I were a GM looking for a QB, the last thing I would do is get involved in a bidding war for his services. The Eagles since the mid 80s have had great runners with suspect passing skills nearly every season at QB with Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb, and Vick for all but five of those years and have had only one unsuccessful Super Bowl appearance since the mid 80's.
Half these things you've said before and the other half I have.
Look, the last 2 years for Philly have been a joke. Everyone knows that. But look at who else isn't performing on that team and the shoddy offensive line. This year, the entire starting line was hurt at one point and they played several games with one original starter. It's not rocket science to figure out it's not one man's fault. If it were, Foles wouldn't be 1-3 with the only win being against TB.
Bottom line is, we'll be finding out soon what Vick is worth right now. I'm guessing he'll be paid the same as any average QB.
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. There's already interest in him as a starter and he's not even on the market yet.
Yea, maybe in the C.F.L. he could come play for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Donavon McNabb's wife is from Hamilton, but, she probally takes a dislike to dog killers.

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Clem wrote:
<quoted text> Yea, maybe in the C.F.L. he could come play for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Donavon McNabb's wife is from Hamilton, but, she probally takes a dislike to dog killers.
Most people do, what's your point ?
genevalove

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Clem wrote:
<quoted text> Yea, maybe in the C.F.L. he could come play for the Hamilton Tiger Cats. Donavon McNabb's wife is from Hamilton, but, she probally takes a dislike to dog killers.
Thank you clem.
Vick has always been a quitter.If he isn't winning, staying in the pocket against all advice: he takes his Darth vader helmut, grimaces in "pain", & leaves.
Whether a feigned rib injury,broken/ not broken throwing hand,non throwing hand, honeybooo,concussion,non concussion,thumb in eye,eye in thumb; check out his long line of "injuries" as atlanta went into the sewer.HE Is a weakminded,quitter! Dungy had alot of input with having Vick reinstated and contracted.dungy has to have a felon poster boy to promote.Even if vick was 100% with his run,he refuses to evolve with the game, and never Ever takes responsibility for his many flaws,on and off the field.
The canucks may want him, and use him as a backup hockey puck.our northern neighbors love their dogs, and feel little empathy for a used up, semi literate dog killer.

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

genevalove wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you clem.
Vick has always been a quitter.If he isn't winning, staying in the pocket against all advice: he takes his Darth vader helmut, grimaces in "pain", & leaves.
Whether a feigned rib injury,broken/ not broken throwing hand,non throwing hand, honeybooo,concussion,non concussion,thumb in eye,eye in thumb; check out his long line of "injuries" as atlanta went into the sewer.HE Is a weakminded,quitter! Dungy had alot of input with having Vick reinstated and contracted.dungy has to have a felon poster boy to promote.Even if vick was 100% with his run,he refuses to evolve with the game, and never Ever takes responsibility for his many flaws,on and off the field.
The canucks may want him, and use him as a backup hockey puck.our northern neighbors love their dogs, and feel little empathy for a used up, semi literate dog killer.
'

Yeah, there's no dog abuse in Canada
http://carsdonationshelpingpets.wordpress.com...
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>'
Yeah, there's no dog abuse in Canada
http://carsdonationshelpingpets.wordpress.com...
Oh sh*t, you mean Mike's already here.

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Clem wrote:
<quoted text> Oh sh*t, you mean Mike's already here.
Nope, just the local yokels . You know, "our northern neighbors" who " love their dogs". I guess she forgot to add, "when they're not shooting them because the dog sled tour business is bad."
genevalove

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, just the local yokels . You know, "our northern neighbors" who " love their dogs". I guess she forgot to add, "when they're not shooting them because the dog sled tour business is bad."
There is evil everywhere,dipsh1!!
Basically Canadians are like most civilized Americans.
Sociopaths who kill and enjoy torturing are worldwide.what is ur point,moron?
No, Vick is still here, thinking he will be asked to play in a super bowl.I Have no idea, what galaxy he is playing on; but it is all part of his dream die nasty!

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

genevalove wrote:
<quoted text>
There is evil everywhere,dipsh1!!
Basically Canadians are like most civilized Americans.
Sociopaths who kill and enjoy torturing are worldwide.what is ur point,moron?
No, Vick is still here, thinking he will be asked to play in a super bowl.I Have no idea, what galaxy he is playing on; but it is all part of his dream die nasty!
Yeah, but that one guy killed more dogs than Vick ever did. And all because his business was slow. Come on LOSER, where are your priorities ? Or right, they're always geared toward lying. The truth isn't something you like to deal with.
genevalove

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but that one guy killed more dogs than Vick ever did. And all because his business was slow. Come on LOSER, where are your priorities ? Or right, they're always geared toward lying. The truth isn't something you like to deal with.
Did" that guy" play for the nfl? Was that guy a role model for inner city kids with no dads?
Damn, you are a stupid lunatic!

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

genevalove wrote:
<quoted text>
Did" that guy" play for the nfl? Was that guy a role model for inner city kids with no dads?
Damn, you are a stupid lunatic!
Don't even get me started on "role models". Remember, Jim and you other idiots don't like to "blame things on others" even when it's direct family and friends, and anyone who puts the blame on a sports figure or celebrity for their kid's action needs to steer their kid in the right direction. Teachers, cops, firemen, the military... there's who your kid's role models should be.
And seriously, don't insult anyone's intelligence by acting like you give a shit about inner city kids all of a sudden. If you're going to do that, you damn well better recognize the influence others had on Vick.
genevalove

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't even get me started on "role models". Remember, Jim and you other idiots don't like to "blame things on others" even when it's direct family and friends, and anyone who puts the blame on a sports figure or celebrity for their kid's action needs to steer their kid in the right direction. Teachers, cops, firemen, the military... there's who your kid's role models should be.
And seriously, don't insult anyone's intelligence by acting like you give a shit about inner city kids all of a sudden. If you're going to do that, you damn well better recognize the influence others had on Vick.
No one can be this ignorant.
No joke;are you institutionalized?

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

genevalove wrote:
<quoted text>
No one can be this ignorant.
No joke;are you institutionalized?
Typical response from someone with no defense of what's been said. You're pathetic.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Come on you two! Kiss and make up for Pete's sake.

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

flbadcatowner wrote:
Come on you two! Kiss and make up for Pete's sake.
I'd have no problem with that. When they start telling the truth, there might be more decent conversations on here.
Jim Evans Esq

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Get-Out wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd have no problem with that. When they start telling the truth, there might be more decent conversations on here.
The truth, dipshit, is that you have been on here from day one, insulting people who have expressed their opinions that vick is a warped POS and mediocre ball player. You're merely getting back what you have given, and started.

I actually tried being civil with your punkass until I posted something you didn't agree with about your thug hero and then you went all apeshit and the "ignorant", "morons", and other BS started coming out of you.

So, take your "decent conversation" and shove it up your ass.

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

Jim Evans Esq wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth, dipshit, is that you have been on here from day one, insulting people who have expressed their opinions that vick is a warped POS and mediocre ball player. You're merely getting back what you have given, and started.
I actually tried being civil with your punkass until I posted something you didn't agree with about your thug hero and then you went all apeshit and the "ignorant", "morons", and other BS started coming out of you.
So, take your "decent conversation" and shove it up your ass.
Bullshit, you fcking liar. You idiots jumped down my throat and were already treating people like shit who didn't agree with you long before I got here, so don't even try that. You've been pulling the same "internet tough guy" BS for years, and all you have to do is go back through a few pages of these threads to see, it.
Now, I'm not saying we haven't had decent conversations. Like this one:
http://www.topix.com/forum/football-players/m...
But you never replied and opted to act like a dick on another thread instead. Again, you not me.
Now go whine to someone else how you were the one that is decent. Your garbage has consumed so much of this forum, no one will ever believe it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••