Minority hiring takes a hit in NFL

Feb 2, 2013 Full story: The Charlotte Observer 14

Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith challenges a call during a 2011 game at Soldier Field in Chicago.

Full Story

“Undertaker Raiders Simona S”

Since: Apr 11

The Blackhole

#1 Feb 2, 2013
I really hate this rule because it is racial. Its a law here in Texas that race, religion, & ethnicity cannot factor into hiring for job vacancies. One's race should never factor into job openings and I think its dumb to have to interview one just because of skin color...I'm not racist or anything but I don't understand why if you were to interview 3 blacks, 1 asian, and 2 hispanics, but 0 whites, there is no rule violation there especially if the one interviewing is of a minority race themself

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#2 Feb 2, 2013
I somewhat understand what you are saying, but I believe the rule was put in place to assure that teams are not being racial about who they are hiring for those positions. What gets me is that more times than not, teams with vacancies seek permision to interview coaches already under contract just to fullfill the Rooney Rule.

I think teams should have to interview everybody who applies for the job. AND I think they need to interview for head coaching vacancies somebody who has never been a head coach before and for the coordinators one who has never been a coordinator before...Surely they'd be able to fullfill that rule by interviewing all that apply for the job under that policy.

Personally, I don't think teams can help it if one of a minority race doesn't apply for the job.

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#3 Feb 2, 2013
it is a tough subject. i like what T_RAIDER said, if you applied, you should be interviewed. that would take care of the rooney rule. can't help you if you don't apply. you shouldn't have to interview a minority if you don't apply. what if you the minority don't want to apply for that team or position? what? you have to get interviewed? no right?
"apply" and get interviewed. if they don't interview you, your org faces a heavy fine.
RAIDERS 2013!!!

“Undertaker Raiders Simona S”

Since: Apr 11

The Blackhole

#4 Feb 2, 2013
I agree with what both of you said...Its not like I'll get a random call for an interview when a position in my line of work opens if I don't submit a resume or fill out an application first unless I previously worked there

Since: Jan 11

Tempe, AZ

#5 Feb 4, 2013
I'm not trying to be insensitive or callous, but when you give a person who is one race preference over another, isn't that racism? Shouldn't you evaluate talent for talent?

This minority hiring stuff has never sat right with me. It's about the right person for the job, not the right color. The fact that more or less black or white or yellow people are coaching is stupid.
Clem

Hamilton, Canada

#6 Feb 4, 2013
Corran Horn wrote:
I'm not trying to be insensitive or callous, but when you give a person who is one race preference over another, isn't that racism? Shouldn't you evaluate talent for talent?
This minority hiring stuff has never sat right with me. It's about the right person for the job, not the right color. The fact that more or less black or white or yellow people are coaching is stupid.
The N.F.L. should have a coaches that look like members of the Village People.
Y.M.C.A.
Coach Hooters

Miami, FL

#7 Feb 4, 2013
The NFL needs a female head coach. One with big bubes.
raiderfaith

Linden, NC

#8 Feb 4, 2013
This is what is wrong with our country. We are so afraid of hurting someones feelings we waste time and resources on stuff we shouldn't. I personally don't have a problem with teams hiring who they want, regardless of motive. If a business owner wants an all white staff, all black staff or all Asian staff. Who cares! It should be there right as a business owner to decide who they want representing/leading their team. I think it is crap they haves to make them interview people. That is more disrespectful than anything. Don't bring me in as a pawn. Just lousy. America needs a backbone. Quit getting so easily offended, toughen up!

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#10 Feb 5, 2013
raiderfaith wrote:
This is what is wrong with our country. We are so afraid of hurting someones feelings we waste time and resources on stuff we shouldn't. I personally don't have a problem with teams hiring who they want, regardless of motive. If a business owner wants an all white staff, all black staff or all Asian staff. Who cares! It should be there right as a business owner to decide who they want representing/leading their team. I think it is crap they haves to make them interview people. That is more disrespectful than anything. Don't bring me in as a pawn. Just lousy. America needs a backbone. Quit getting so easily offended, toughen up!
AYP, there goes romeo crennel's chances (lol).
there goes that rooney rule
AND,
there goes the saints chances of making that (D) better by hiring rob ryan!
SAINTS WEREN'T AFRAID? and that's the way it should be. i really thought the saints were going to go soft and do the rooney rule "just because".

RAIDERS 2013!!!
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#11 Feb 15, 2013
Coach Hooters wrote:
The NFL needs a female head coach. One with big bubes.
and while everybody is being so politically correct, the NFL needs male cheerleaders, not last string QB's who leap to their feet like Tebow

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#12 Feb 15, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>and while everybody is being so politically correct, the NFL needs male cheerleaders, not last string QB's who leap to their feet like Tebow
you mean j campbell, or jay cutler? hey, you know, they're both jc's? no, not "thee jc" but, Jer-Coffs!(LOL). HEY, you guys trying to get ridd of jason campbell already? thats racist you know? first you get ridd of your coach, now jc, then who d hester?
RAIDERS 2013!!!
politically douchey

Miami, FL

#13 Feb 15, 2013
There isn't a single Cambodian QB in the league, and I wanna know why.
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#14 Feb 15, 2013
The only transvestite QB in the league wears Silver & Black....Palmer

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#15 Feb 15, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
The only transvestite QB in the league wears Silver & Black....Palmer
really? so why does your (qb) have a name like.... cuntler?
RAIDERS 2013!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kansas City Chiefs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Husain Abdullah's prayer: NFL sorry for flaggin... Oct 7 Flatulence Fred 3
Husain Abdullah: NFL Admits Mistake With Penalt... Oct 7 Flatulence Fred 4
Pats out to make noise on the road Sep 30 BeliChickenChoker 9
New England Patriots: Under-the-Radar Performer... Sep 30 BeliChickenChoker 12
NFL: Charles, Chiefs roll over Patriots Sep 30 Laughing Bear Fan 6
Why the Chiefs will beat the Patriots on MNF Sep '14 Laughing Bear Fan 10
Andy Reid is changing the Kansas City Chiefs of... Sep '14 Injunfarts 2

Kansas City Chiefs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE