Dennis Allen explains choosing Greg Olson as offensive coordinator

When the Raiders chose Greg Olson to be their next offensive coordinator, it came with some questions. Full Story

“PLAY TO WIN”

Since: Jul 09

OG, "so cal."

#1 Jan 22, 2013
he coached under gruden in 08. that's it? oh, he hears good word and not bad things about him. and his power offense he plans to bring in to work with or what and how guys perform. good enough.
and good luck to us. i'm trying to get a positive here after g knapp! i guess he's better?
RAIDERS 2013!!!

Since: Jul 11

Michigan

#2 Jan 22, 2013
{yawn}

another no-name coach we can afford.

I'm trying to be optimistic and I will root for silver & black like I always do.....but.......too many bad seasons lately....fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, go screw yourself {insert your own catchy phrase} LOL

Keep rebuilding Reggie. Save that money, get those draft picks, etc., etc., etc.

Come on, 2014!!!!

Gawd, I hope I'm wrong. LOL. Sooner or later, we have to hit on a "diamond in the rough", right, guys? Maybe Olson is it. He's our OC for 2013 so let's see how it plays out.......but I'm gonna save my gamblin' money for 2014.....and 2015. In my opinion, coaches are the last piece of the puzzle anyway.....when rebuilding.

Since: Jan 11

Tempe, AZ

#3 Jan 23, 2013
I am really unsure of what to think. Nobody really knows much about the guy. He could have been brought in to be a "yes" man, and just run whatever the scheme the coach wants, or he could be a stud. A solid, dependable dude, albeit unspectacular and not very unique.

I don't expect Raiders to be top 10 in offense like under Hue, but i do think we should be top 15. We have the talent for that with competent playcalling.

If the defense takes a few steps forward and ends up in the 15th-20th range we could be in for a 7-9 or 8-8 season, which would make me very happy.

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#4 Jan 23, 2013
some fans are waiting for the lonnnng haul.
some fans have to wait for the lonnnnnng haul.
the coaches are in for the lonnnnng haul. probably cause they don't have the answers for a faster fix. and i don't mean quick fix, i mean faster fix! going with a faster fix can save coaching jobs and avoid the lonng haul as well as patience and satisfied fans. having to wait more years is only going to frustrate the owner and then having to fire the (gm) or coaches. and then, having to wait again! kind of what we're going through with the knapp firing and hiring of g olson. will this set us back? we didn't want to fire our (hc) because people say it's not good for the team. because it's "the al davis way". but yet we fire our (oc) the first season?(lol). see? firing is good! maybe we'll get better.
RAIDERS 2013!!!

“RaiderNation of Domination”

Since: May 07

Some West Texas County

#5 Jan 23, 2013
All I can say is that it has been a lonnnng 10 years since our last Superbowl appearance and Al Davis never got the results he wanted until he gave Tom Cable a 3rd year and we finally moved upwards in the W column which is what we wanted to see as fans. I think we could've made the playoffs in 2011-12 if we had retained Cable and his staff, but instead we let him go along with DC John Marshall and promote Hue Jackson to HC and bring in Chuck Bresnahan to be a yes man for DC. The offense was good under Al Saunders, but the defense took a major step backwards and I thought that made a lot of differences in a lot of those games.

I would like to trust that this staff knows what they are doing and hope for the best.

“PLAY TO WIN”

OG, "so cal."

#6 Jan 23, 2013
TexasRaider wrote:
All I can say is that it has been a lonnnng 10 years since our last Superbowl appearance and Al Davis never got the results he wanted until he gave Tom Cable a 3rd year and we finally moved upwards in the W column which is what we wanted to see as fans. I think we could've made the playoffs in 2011-12 if we had retained Cable and his staff, but instead we let him go along with DC John Marshall and promote Hue Jackson to HC and bring in Chuck Bresnahan to be a yes man for DC. The offense was good under Al Saunders, but the defense took a major step backwards and I thought that made a lot of differences in a lot of those games.
I would like to trust that this staff knows what they are doing and hope for the best.
well with this rebuilding it's going to be a looooong more time. we were already on the upside with hue jackson. and i do agree his biggest mistake was hiring bresnehan and firing marshall. i could have kicked him in the a.s for that but you know bresnehan was on the hot seat and was going to get fired. RAIDERS would have been back on the upside and i guarantee you we wouldn't have hired the (D-coach) we have today. we would have hired experience and hopefully not another bad choice like bresnehan. if that's the case it might as well been jason tarver. so who did worse? 8-8? or 4-12? look T_RAIDER, when you say, "i would like to trust that this staff knows what they are doing" i think i know you don't trust them! now, i'm with you 100% when you say "AND HOPE FOR THE BEST"!
RAIDERS 2013!!!
Wrong Scandanavian

Miami, FL

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Team would be better off with Greg Olsen.
wiscraider

Hudson, WI

#8 Jan 24, 2013
Like change if there not working,ONE thing I loved about Mr.Davis..mckensie seems to be doin same...with Carson i believe were limited,(choked crunch time) so unless t.pryor can win job or get significant playing time I see this process taking to 2014,with hopefully a stud defence by then....JMO

Some West Texas County

#9 Jan 24, 2013
RAIDER MISTERIO OG wrote:
<quoted text>well look T_RAIDER, when you say, "i would like to trust that this staff knows what they are doing" i think i know you don't trust them! now, i'm with you 100% when you say "AND HOPE FOR THE BEST"!
RAIDERS 2013!!!
I'll put it like this...I trust them in essence that they have their own vision and that they are carrying it out. What I don't trust is that whether or not they know the strengths & weaknesses of our current players and if they know how to use them to the best of their abilities.

For instance, McFadden is quite well known for carrying the injury bug yet they let reliable backup Michael Bush walk in free agency. McFadden also failed in Greg Knapp's offense once before, yet Knapp was brought back for a second round despite the fact that McFadden was successful in Hue Jackson's offense.

Coaching and scheming is where it all begins. Look at New England with Bill Belechick...He has a scheme that is successful and scouts out players who fit that scheme. Remember Denver with Mike Shannahan...It was the same way in those days. How about Sean Peyton with New Orleans? Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh? I can't help but wonder how much longer the Dallas dynasty would've lasted if Jerry Jones would've left Jimmy Johnson alone to do his job. Same thing with us and Jon Gruden...we weren't actually a dynasty, but I think we could've been the team of the early 2000s if Al Davis would've let Gruden have complete player personell control.

Some West Texas County

#10 Jan 24, 2013
What I really don't know is how long is McKenzie gonna give Allen or how long is Mark Davis gonna give McKenzie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Jaguars Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mehta: Jets GM has them in chase for Winston or... Dec 14 Rexturbates 10
Jaguars sink to new low vs. Colts Dec 11 Bruce 6
Texans dump Jags, stay in postseason race Dec 8 Diarrhea Dave 2
Jaguars: Suspended Blackmon 'doing very well' Oct '14 Marley Time 2
NFL Takeaways: What Is Up With the New England ... Sep '14 Jim 24
NFL Power Rankings Week 3: Predicting Post-"Mon... Sep '14 Reggie McWTF 6
Jaguars WR Hurns wants to repeata Sep '14 IPISS 3
More from around the web