NFL to start suspending players for violent hits

There are 7 comments on the Oct 19, 2010, Alamogordo Daily News story titled NFL to start suspending players for violent hits. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

The NFL will immediately begin suspending players for dangerous and flagrant hits that violate rules, particularly those involving helmets.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

“Pro-Constitution , Anti-Obama!”

Since: May 10

Capitan, NM

#1 Oct 19, 2010
Yep start making them sit on the bench and losing a few hundred thousand, instead of 10 to 50 thousand!
Chaos Overcover

Montgomery, AL

#2 Oct 19, 2010
I whole-heartedly agree with Chaos
Chaos Overcover

Montgomery, AL

#3 Oct 19, 2010
I like what Ditka said, take off the face masks. they will be less apt to lead with the helmet then, wont they
swim team

Tijeras, NM

#4 Oct 20, 2010
Traumatic brain injury is part of the game.
LOL

Tampa, FL

#5 Oct 20, 2010
swim team wrote:
Traumatic brain injury is part of the game.
personal assualts and violent attacks are not part of the game.

“I got it back!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#6 Oct 20, 2010
Denine that better please..

Daunta Robinson(sp) did NOT apply a cheap shot.. it was a CLEAN shoulder to the sternum... Yes, the helmets did make contact, but the helmet was NOT used to lead.. No FOUL!

The dude from the Patriots.. 100% Cheap Shot Fine him and suspend him

Harrison.. 1st hit on Cribbs.. Helmet to Helmet, but I can't see it was intentional... Cribbs started to go down just before the impact, thus lowering the helmets to contacting each other

Harrison... 2nd Hit (on the other dude I can't spell his name at all).. Kinda grey, but very UNNECESSAY, so I agree with the fine there..

Just put flags on everyone and stop pretending.... Getting kind of stupid... Harrison makes MILLIONS each year, so a $75K fine is "chump change" to him. Same with the other BAD hits.. But Football is VIOLENT... That's why they make sooooooo much.... LET THEM PLAY
Rat Killa

Lawrence, MA

#7 Oct 20, 2010
Perfection wrote:
Denine that better please..
Daunta Robinson(sp) did NOT apply a cheap shot.. it was a CLEAN shoulder to the sternum... Yes, the helmets did make contact, but the helmet was NOT used to lead.. No FOUL!
The dude from the Patriots.. 100% Cheap Shot Fine him and suspend him
Harrison.. 1st hit on Cribbs.. Helmet to Helmet, but I can't see it was intentional... Cribbs started to go down just before the impact, thus lowering the helmets to contacting each other
Harrison... 2nd Hit (on the other dude I can't spell his name at all).. Kinda grey, but very UNNECESSAY, so I agree with the fine there..
Just put flags on everyone and stop pretending.... Getting kind of stupid... Harrison makes MILLIONS each year, so a $75K fine is "chump change" to him. Same with the other BAD hits.. But Football is VIOLENT... That's why they make sooooooo much.... LET THEM PLAY
What's asinine about this is that defensive players cannot lead with the helmet, but offensive players can. Every running back does it.
I heard Harrison on the Dan Patrick show yesterday and he stated that he doesn't hit a person with the intent to cause injury, but he does want them to feel it. I believe the statement was I want to hurt him. He went on to clarify exactly what he meant by hurt and explicitly said he never intends to injure someone, but he's going to hit them as hard as he can legally because he knows they will hit him otherwise. He also pointed out that there are hits that are considered legal by the league that have caused serious and even career ending injuries (Low hits to the knees for example). The difference is that today's athletes are stronger and faster and the collisions are much more violent. I agree, let them play

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Texans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans 360 Ep14 - 1/4 Apr 13 Terents 2
News Broncos Agree To Terms With Tight End James Casey Apr 13 Abe Addison Hattin 1
News Cowboys release Okoye, trying to return from ... Apr 9 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News NFL notebook: Winston feels pressure to attend ... Apr 6 Winston Smokers 14
News Tennessee Titans: Silently Building A Great Def... Mar '15 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Ryan Mallett's Attitude A Positive For Houston ... Mar '15 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Texans' additions not enough to dethrone the Co... Mar '15 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
More from around the web