Clay Matthews: Brian Cushing injury shows 'double standard'

Oct 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WUSA-TV Washington

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing walks off the field after being injured during the first half against the New York Jets at MetLIfe Stadium.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of62
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Major Punishment

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

Foot Fetish Coaching wrote:
<quoted text>
$10K fine plus no more training room foot masssages.
Heard he was banned from Tebowing for the rest of the season....that hurts....
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Did anyone, ever hear of any fine or discipline, to the Jet lineman?
There will be no fines, punishments, or blown calls against either the Jets and Giants this year,
The NFL is planning on having two home teams play in the superbowl to avoid travel expenses
answerman

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

eric wrote:
He should be suspended for as long as Cushing is out of action.
You know, I'm not normally a fan of the way the league has overreacted to protecting the players (ok, just the offensive players, we know that) but in this case I kind of like the idea. They already have special circumstances in place for an injury caused by a foul (remember when Rodgers got his eye poked on the facemask penalty a few games back, he technically did not have to leave the game for a play like they usually do). I think maybe expanding that as Eric suggested might not be a bad idea.

Something like this: If a player is injured as a direct result of a foul, the player causing the foul is suspended until the injured player returns. Not for every single injury and not immediately (it would be too easy to game the system, having a player fake an injury to take a player away from the opposition during a game) but if the injured player has to go on IR, then the player causing the injury would also be suspended for the remainder of the season. Or something like that.

Interesting idea. It'll never happen, but interesting.

I've always felt (again, it'll never happen) that the quickest way to cut down on the fouls in the game would be to, instead of fining the player, discipline the team instead. Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty? Not 15 yards, but instead knock 3 points off the board for the offending team. I guarantee the management of the teams would immediately find ways to make sure that the fouls stopped happening when they started losing games because of it. They'd have very little patience with the chronic offenders.

Again, it'll never happen, though.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

It's as simple as this....PROTECT DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, AGAINEST DIRTY PLAY, AT THE EXACT SAME RATE, THAT OFFENSIVE PLAYERS, ESPECIALLY QUARTERBACKS...ARE PROTECTED....that's all....they've already legislated againest defense enough....time to give back....
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Go Blue Forever wrote:
It's as simple as this....PROTECT DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, AGAINEST DIRTY PLAY, AT THE EXACT SAME RATE, THAT OFFENSIVE PLAYERS, ESPECIALLY QUARTERBACKS...ARE PROTECTED....that's all....they've already legislated againest defense enough....time to give back....
That would be a good start! Simply treat dirty play the same, on either side of the ball. Treat pushing off the same, treat holding the same, treat hands to the face the same, treat initiating helmet contact the same, and treat cheapshots the same whether it is an offensive or defensive player. The only thing stopping Roger Goodell from being fair is Roger Goodell!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

wyh

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

So, i guess nothing happened to this player, then? Wonder if Aaron Rodgers got this season-ending injury, think they would ignore the other guy?
protected species

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Judged:

Goodell would slap a bounty charge against whoever were to injure Aaron Rodgers.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Go Blue Forever wrote:
So, i guess nothing happened to this player, then? Wonder if Aaron Rodgers got this season-ending injury, think they would ignore the other guy?
If ANY quarterback was hit like Cushing was hit, Goodell's reacion would be very different and we all know it. I'm not sure what pisses me off more. Goodell's lack of fairness? Or the fact that he treats us all like we're too stupid to notice?
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
If ANY quarterback was hit like Cushing was hit, Goodell's reacion would be very different and we all know it. I'm not sure what pisses me off more. Goodell's lack of fairness? Or the fact that he treats us all like we're too stupid to notice?
Until we as PEOPLE stop buying this BS, nothing will change. We as FANS are to blame.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Until we as PEOPLE stop buying this BS, nothing will change. We as FANS are to blame.
I agree, but one of the biggest problems is that MANY fans do buy into the "offense" hype. You know, the idea that offense is more important than defense, and that a team is it's QB. That kind of thing. How do we fans that know better change that? There are many fans that just don't follow football closely enough to care one way or another. Does it really make sense to blame "fans" for unfairness from the Commissioner's Office? Fans aren't a monolithic group with identical ideas or interest in these issues. The truth is that fairness, if the NFL is ever to realize it, can only be created by the NFL!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
What it is....is that, whenever we forget, it's all for show...for ratings and for greed....we keep forgetting that, and thinking it's about fairness, a curious american trait...except for republicans...lol...
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>What it is....is that, whenever we forget, it's all for show...for ratings and for greed....we keep forgetting that, and thinking it's about fairness, a curious american trait...except for republicans...lol...
I know it's all for show...for ratings and for greed. However, I disagree that unfairness increases those things. In fact, I bet if the NFL ever tried some fairness, it would find that it wouldn't harm the ratings, profits or entertainment value at all. In fact, I believe it just might help. Unfortunately, The NFL seems very determined to never give fairness a try.
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Judged:

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it's all for show...for ratings and for greed. However, I disagree that unfairness increases those things. In fact, I bet if the NFL ever tried some fairness, it would find that it wouldn't harm the ratings, profits or entertainment value at all. In fact, I believe it just might help. Unfortunately, The NFL seems very determined to never give fairness a try.
The NFL is very fair. They gave Tebow 8 games to prove he was a lousy quarterback. It doesn't get much fairer than that
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>The NFL is very fair. They gave Tebow 8 games to prove he was a lousy quarterback. It doesn't get much fairer than that
Touche! Excellent point. I can't argue with that. LMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>The NFL is very fair. They gave Tebow 8 games to prove he was a lousy quarterback. It doesn't get much fairer than that
Denver Bronco's went through the most radical upgrade in Quarterback, just about ever.....still can't believe that comeback, lastweek by Peyton.....
Well Played Broncos

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Denver Bronco's went through the most radical upgrade in Quarterback, just about ever....
It was like going from banging the fat ratfaced broad that runs the register at your local Walmart to banging Kate Upton.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Well Played Broncos wrote:
<quoted text>
It was like going from banging the fat ratfaced broad that runs the register at your local Walmart to banging Kate Upton.
Yeah,...but, whose Kate Upton, first?
oooohyeah

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah,...but, whose Kate Upton, first?
http://kateupton.com/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

oooohyeah wrote:
<quoted text>
http://kateupton.com/
Wow...pretty hot...like Bridgette Bardot....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of62
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Houston Texans Discussions

Search the Houston Texans Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The Andre Johnson Situation Sun Jake 18
NFL Rumors: New England Patriots To Pursue Andr... Fri Mensans 1
Should The New England Patriots Try To Acquire ... Jul 11 Terry 21
Third down (Oct '13) Jun 22 MilesAustin520 2
QUOTES: Bill O'Brien on Monday Jun 17 Darkness Falls 2
The Houston Texans' 5 Most Intriguing Players O... Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
NFL News: QB Tony Romo Traded to Houston Texans... Jun '14 Darkness Falls 23
•••
•••