Should The New England Patriots Try T...

Should The New England Patriots Try To Acquire WR Andre Johnson?

There are 22 comments on the MusketFire story from May 14, 2014, titled Should The New England Patriots Try To Acquire WR Andre Johnson?. In it, MusketFire reports that:

Dec 22, 2013; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson runs after a catch against the Denver Broncos during the first half at Reliant Stadium.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MusketFire.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Insane yet

Cypress, CA

#1 May 15, 2014
Pats lack the trading material to exchange for Johnson and then if they got him they don't have enough CAP room to sign him. Who would they cut to find the money? Mankins, Wilfork? Not going to happen. BUT even so, Pats should still look into it. Miracles do happen. Imagine the Commissioner giving the Pats the $7.5M lost due to dead money for Hernandez. Then couple that with the Texans willing to take Mallet and another player for Johnson. I know, only in my dreams. But that's how Randy Moss made the move to the Pats. A fellow can still dream can't he?
Mensan

Cypress, CA

#2 May 15, 2014
This years draft had the Pats preparing for something that may never happen (loss of Brady due to injury) instead of preparing for legitimate needs that already exist and will, not might, impact the team. Seems Belichick bough insurance instead of food to fuel his family. Who does that (besides Belichick)? Yes, insurance is a need but hasn't Coach ever heard of priorities. Rumor has it that Belichick is getting perturbed that he can't win without Brady so he would rather not risk Brady winning again at the expense of Belichick's future (and legacy) with the Pats. If Brady wins another Lombardi trophy, retires and Belichick falters post Brady, it will prove the analysts correct who say Belichick is a loser without Brady. But if Brady fails to win again, and his replacement performs well, that can be twisted to be constued that its Belichick's system and not Brady that is responsible for his teams quality play. Based on Belichick's drafting cycles since their last SB win when all the chatter about Belichick's genius was being tied to Brady, it could be gleaned that Coach Bill's intent has been his legacy more than getting Brady another ring. Maybe that's why instead of taking Tuitt DE/DT (Notre Dame), Fiedorowicz TE (Iowa), and Martin C (USC), all starters that would fill a need and possible for the Pats to have gotten, Belichick opted for Easley DE/DT (Florida...with both knees recovering from ACL tears so may be a year out from being of value), Garoppolo QB (Eastern Illinois...who will sit on the bench along with Mallet/should have traded Mallet before picking yet another bench warmer with a high draft pick), then trading out of the third pick where the certainty of good players ends. Belichick is a truly great coach, but drafting is nowhere near being his strong suit. Kraft has had a decade to figure this out and still hasn't. Likewise, when Romeo Crennel became available to again coach the defense as he did in the Pats SB years, the Pats, Kraft and Belichick let him sign with Houston, go figure. With the current management in place, best Pats should be able to hope for is contending, when they could have been more, so much more.
Insane Clown Posse

Miami, FL

#3 May 15, 2014
Insane yet wrote:
Pats lack the trading material to exchange for Johnson and then if they got him they don't have enough CAP room to sign him. Who would they cut to find the money? Mankins, Wilfork? Not going to happen. BUT even so, Pats should still look into it. Miracles do happen. Imagine the Commissioner giving the Pats the $7.5M lost due to dead money for Hernandez. Then couple that with the Texans willing to take Mallet and another player for Johnson. I know, only in my dreams. But that's how Randy Moss made the move to the Pats. A fellow can still dream can't he?
LMAO Dream Weaver.......Mallet and some other bench scrub for Andre Johnson...aiiight
Tom Brady

Houston, TX

#4 May 15, 2014
lmao too funny.
Mensan

Cypress, CA

#5 May 17, 2014
Insane Clown Posse wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO Dream Weaver.......Mallet and some other bench scrub for Andre Johnson...aiiight
Adding yourself to the list of the shortsighted I see.
NFL History is filled with horrendous and idiotic trades and draft selections oversights, as are all events that require man to evaluate and think. Man's shortcomings are often used against him for the benefit of others. Pats weakness is in the area of drafting, not trading. Probably won't happen but even the low percentage trades would never happen unless they were at least looked into.
Idiot trades and major oversights (too many to for a thorough list)
Babe Ruth to Yankees
Bill Russell to Celtics
Jim Brown to Cleveland
Johnny Unitas slipping through Pittsburgh's fingers.
Tom Brady overlooked by every team in the league, each team had five chances, many six.
Picking Ryan Leaf with the second pick and debated between him and Peyton.
Mike Ditka trading his entire draft class for a running back named Ricky who would rather smoke weed than play football.
Portland Trail Blazer drafts (they passed on Jordan, Olajuwon, Durant to name only a few).
Idiots abound thoughtout the sporting establishments.
Nothing to lose by asking, and who knows just maybe someone will gift your team a franchise player. If you don't seek you will never find.
And sometimes players make themselves persona non grata so they have to be moved and at a much lesser value that they would otherwise be worth.
Worst thing that can happen is for the Texans to say no.
And it only takes a phone call to find out.
KraftKrap

Miami, FL

#6 May 19, 2014
Mensan wrote:
<quoted text>
Adding yourself to the list of the shortsighted I see.
NFL History is filled with horrendous and idiotic trades and draft selections oversights, as are all events that require man to evaluate and think. Man's shortcomings are often used against him for the benefit of others. Pats weakness is in the area of drafting, not trading. Probably won't happen but even the low percentage trades would never happen unless they were at least looked into.
Idiot trades and major oversights (too many to for a thorough list)
Babe Ruth to Yankees
Bill Russell to Celtics
Jim Brown to Cleveland
Johnny Unitas slipping through Pittsburgh's fingers.
Tom Brady overlooked by every team in the league, each team had five chances, many six.
Picking Ryan Leaf with the second pick and debated between him and Peyton.
Mike Ditka trading his entire draft class for a running back named Ricky who would rather smoke weed than play football.
Portland Trail Blazer drafts (they passed on Jordan, Olajuwon, Durant to name only a few).
Idiots abound thoughtout the sporting establishments.
Nothing to lose by asking, and who knows just maybe someone will gift your team a franchise player. If you don't seek you will never find.
And sometimes players make themselves persona non grata so they have to be moved and at a much lesser value that they would otherwise be worth.
Worst thing that can happen is for the Texans to say no.
And it only takes a phone call to find out.
No, wrong, Mensanitus, I'll let you in of a little known fact. Teams are fined by the NFL for making idiotic trades. My contact deep withing the Patriots organization told me so.
Mensan

Cypress, CA

#7 May 20, 2014
KraftKrap wrote:
<quoted text>
No, wrong, Mensanitus, I'll let you in of a little known fact. Teams are fined by the NFL for making idiotic trades. My contact deep withing the Patriots organization told me so.
One must always consider the source. While I have given sound rational commentary you have not, opting instead for foul language, perversion and worse. Seems clear to anyone with sound judgment and can read.
If you chose to offer rational thought for a change have at it, until then you play your troll character poorly.
Retardan

Miami, FL

#8 May 21, 2014
Mensan wrote:
<quoted text>
One must always consider the source. While I have given sound rational commentary you have not, opting instead for foul language, perversion and worse. Seems clear to anyone with sound judgment and can read.
If you chose to offer rational thought for a change have at it, until then you play your troll character poorly.
Proposing a Mallet trade for Andre Johnson is rational thought....<<<< <BELCH>>>>>
Mensan

Cypress, CA

#9 May 21, 2014
Retardan wrote:
<quoted text>
Proposing a Mallet trade for Andre Johnson is rational thought....<<<< <BELCH>>>>>
Sorry for your shortcomings. Try reading it again and again. Maybe then you will get it that I said ....although the trade is not likely, it would be foolish not to check it out because even worse trades have been made. I even listed some examples. The only loss will be the time spent making the phone call, but if the Texans are at an impass with Johnson, who knows, better to get something as opposed to nothing. And Mallet, even if he proves less than desireable, will motivate the rest of their QBs to work harder so they get the spots on the 53 man roster. it seems your desire to condemn someone is far greater than your willingness to try and understand. That's a sad condition. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
When you put words into someone else's mouth then condemn them, you are only condemning yourself. Hoping your attention span is long enough to benefit from this second explanation. If not ask your parents to explain it to you.
Patstarded

Miami, FL

#10 May 22, 2014
Mensan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for your shortcomings. Try reading it again and again. Maybe then you will get it that I said ....although the trade is not likely, it would be foolish not to check it out because even worse trades have been made. I even listed some examples. The only loss will be the time spent making the phone call, but if the Texans are at an impass with Johnson, who knows, better to get something as opposed to nothing. And Mallet, even if he proves less than desireable, will motivate the rest of their QBs to work harder so they get the spots on the 53 man roster. it seems your desire to condemn someone is far greater than your willingness to try and understand. That's a sad condition. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
When you put words into someone else's mouth then condemn them, you are only condemning yourself. Hoping your attention span is long enough to benefit from this second explanation. If not ask your parents to explain it to you.
Anyone looking to trade or trade for Andre Johnson won't even dream of putting Mallet into the equation. Johnson is a proven elite starter, while Mallet is a proven backup benchwarmer. Under what illegal substance do you come up with this crap? 1st it's a Brady crush, now it's a crush on his backup Mallet. Get help.
Mensan

Cypress, CA

#11 May 22, 2014
Patstarded wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone looking to trade or trade for Andre Johnson won't even dream of putting Mallet into the equation. Johnson is a proven elite starter, while Mallet is a proven backup benchwarmer. Under what illegal substance do you come up with this crap? 1st it's a Brady crush, now it's a crush on his backup Mallet. Get help.
And thus you prove my point once again, and again, and again. Afraid of hearing a "no" on the end of a phone call? You would have missed out on Babe Ruth, Bill Russell, Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas.
Learn the lessen of multimillionaires and billionaires....everytime you hear a "no", it only means mathematically speaking, you are that much closer to finally hearing a yes.
If Mike Ditka could give up his entire draft class for a dope smoking running back that never amounted to much, why can't the Texans give away a potential locker room disrupters and a poison to the team which in itself gives them $10M more in CAP space (its called addition by subtraction). Anyone thrown in (Mallet) is gravy. And it only takes a phone call to find out.
Another example...NBA just had their draft. Some teams had a less than 1% chance at getting the top pick. Has even one team EVER said they didn't want their chance at the top pick? NEVER in history has a team willingly given up their chance. Is it likely, no way, probable not at all, but is it possible? History says it happens and more often than one would expect. Why are you so afraid of being turned down? Emotionally stunted? Just like to act the bitch? You are who you communicate yourself to be. When you accept failure you become a failure. We can all improve, it's time you give it a try.
CaliTardan

Miami, FL

#12 May 23, 2014
Mensan wrote:
<quoted text>
And thus you prove my point once again, and again, and again. Afraid of hearing a "no" on the end of a phone call? You would have missed out on Babe Ruth, Bill Russell, Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas.
Learn the lessen of multimillionaires and billionaires....everytime you hear a "no", it only means mathematically speaking, you are that much closer to finally hearing a yes.
If Mike Ditka could give up his entire draft class for a dope smoking running back that never amounted to much, why can't the Texans give away a potential locker room disrupters and a poison to the team which in itself gives them $10M more in CAP space (its called addition by subtraction). Anyone thrown in (Mallet) is gravy. And it only takes a phone call to find out.
Another example...NBA just had their draft. Some teams had a less than 1% chance at getting the top pick. Has even one team EVER said they didn't want their chance at the top pick? NEVER in history has a team willingly given up their chance. Is it likely, no way, probable not at all, but is it possible? History says it happens and more often than one would expect. Why are you so afraid of being turned down? Emotionally stunted? Just like to act the bitch? You are who you communicate yourself to be. When you accept failure you become a failure. We can all improve, it's time you give it a try.
Do you have your hand down your pants when you type your drivel? You seem to really get off on typing psychodrivel.
Janitor

Cypress, CA

#13 May 23, 2014
CaliTardan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have your hand down your pants when you type your drivel? You seem to really get off on typing psychodrivel.
A warning to all who read these guys. See how limited you can become when you don't pay attention in school or work hard to improve yourselves. You too could have these same limitations, and provide responses not worthy of a third grader. They lash out without emotional control, use unacceptable language showing they lack the classy gene and probably have a brother as their father. Avoid them, get away from them and grow as an individual. Learn to analyze and debate so you can improve any situation that comes across your plate. XXX responses only means they lost their XXX day job.
Janitor

Cypress, CA

#14 May 26, 2014
KraftKrap wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please give us an example of a trade that was blocked by the league that fits your description of being insane. If the Super Bowl winning Harbaugh brother, John, could get away with trading Anquan Boldin to his little brother, Jim Harbaugh, in San Francisco for only a sixth round draft pick (that's like trading Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, the guy in question, to the Pats for a fifth round draft pick), then Mallet a third round value means Pats should get more than just Johnson (at least based on the previous inequality in the system).:) awaiting your usual emotional and derogatory response.
Consider our trades...I give you football analysis and because you don't like the facts or concepts employed, you send crap back. No trade is actually fair, it's just how the system works.
Janitard

Miami, FL

#15 May 28, 2014
Janitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please give us an example of a trade that was blocked by the league that fits your description of being insane. If the Super Bowl winning Harbaugh brother, John, could get away with trading Anquan Boldin to his little brother, Jim Harbaugh, in San Francisco for only a sixth round draft pick (that's like trading Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, the guy in question, to the Pats for a fifth round draft pick), then Mallet a third round value means Pats should get more than just Johnson (at least based on the previous inequality in the system).:) awaiting your usual emotional and derogatory response.
Consider our trades...I give you football analysis and because you don't like the facts or concepts employed, you send crap back. No trade is actually fair, it's just how the system works.
You made a moronic trade assertion, and now you back it up with more drivel tripe. Belch.
Janitor

Cypress, CA

#16 May 29, 2014
Janitard wrote:
<quoted text>
You made a moronic trade assertion, and now you back it up with more drivel tripe. Belch.
I made no such assertion. I never said the trade would go through. I merely said a trade should be checked out because historically, crazier things have been agreed to, and gave example. Not checking it out would be financial malfeasance (that means they would not be doing their jobs properly). There is more to player value involved in a trade. Seems you slept through that class or were busy doing what you accuse others of. Your reading disability is limiting your understanding and growth. Go back, re-read and try to focus on the entire concepts put forth, not just sentence fragments. Have you ever owned a business? Ever worked in one? Could you possibly be this lost?
Think of it as shopping. Sometimes good deals can be found. If you are willing to dig a little deeper, sometimes even great deals can be found. Example, came across a business dumping their fleet of vehicles because it no longer met their business model and they needed to move them fast. Because I was willing to "check it out" I was given the choice between an Acura RL or Infiniti Q45 at half their current value. I thought, why not both. Made no sense to me why they would act so hastily when there was greater value to be had, but they did, and I am the happier for having taken advantage of it. Could also tell you of some real estate deals but that would just be bragging. Idea is that if you think something can't be done you will always be right, at least for you. You also have to be willing to hear the word "no" a lot before that good deal comes along.
Reviewing your position, I now know where you are coming from and I agree with you, from where you stand it's stupid to even look into the possibility of getting a good deal. Those phone calls are such a bother.
Bil Belichicken

Miami, FL

#17 May 29, 2014
I think it'd be great for the Pats to call up the Texans and offer Mallet for Johnson. The Pats need to be laughed at. The Texans need a laugh.
Janitor

Cypress, CA

#18 May 29, 2014
Bil Belichicken wrote:
I think it'd be great for the Pats to call up the Texans and offer Mallet for Johnson. The Pats need to be laughed at. The Texans need a laugh.
Finally. I agree. And after they get laughed at 10-20 times on similar deals maybe, just maybe they could pick up a lowly sixth rounder no one else wants who turns out to be one of the best if not the best ever QB. Oh wait, they already did that in Brady. Or maybe they could offer a later round draft pick for a malcontent HoF receiver. Oh wait, they already did that to get Randy Moss. And the list continues, so it's at least worth getting laughed at if in the end it improves the team. For every few "fair" trades, based on player talent alone, there is a trade that works for both sides because of "other than talent" reasons. Like age of player, CAP space considerations, too many skilled players are one position, perception problems, can't get the playbook down, attitude problems, personality differences, next year draftees availability to name just a few. But the biggest problem seems to be an evaluation either above or below the true value of the player by the teams willing to trade/for him. Who knows the real reason why a team lets a guy go. They always sanitize the reasons to try and make the franchise look good for marketing purposes. In short, when they screw up they make excuses in an attempt to not lose their jobs.
In a perfect world, Texans would get fair value for Johnson but other facts impact the decision that we may never hear about. Therefore...Never hurts to "check it out".
Dave

Cypress, CA

#19 Jun 2, 2014
Insane yet wrote:
Agree that at the time you wrote this the Pats couldn't afford Johnson but currently they have a little over $7 million in cap space available. Trading Mallet and Amendola shoots that up over $13million. It's a big if, but if Johnson is really seen as a malcontent and if Amendola is recovered from his groin injury, they might consider taking Amendola and Mallet for Johnson. Texan get a better QB than they got now and a good slot guy to go with him. They also get almost $4 million in cap relief. They may find a better deal elsewhere, but where. They still need a QB and I have heard Johnson sees Texans as a rebuilding team so will sit out if they don't get a better QB situation. Got to upgrade the QB position no matter how you look at it. What QBs are left? Just saying.
Darkness Falls

Houston, TX

#20 Jun 3, 2014
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree that at the time you wrote this the Pats couldn't afford Johnson but currently they have a little over $7 million in cap space available. Trading Mallet and Amendola shoots that up over $13million. It's a big if, but if Johnson is really seen as a malcontent and if Amendola is recovered from his groin injury, they might consider taking Amendola and Mallet for Johnson. Texan get a better QB than they got now and a good slot guy to go with him. They also get almost $4 million in cap relief. They may find a better deal elsewhere, but where. They still need a QB and I have heard Johnson sees Texans as a rebuilding team so will sit out if they don't get a better QB situation. Got to upgrade the QB position no matter how you look at it. What QBs are left? Just saying.
Case Keenum is a decent quarterback and a fan favorite because of his prolific passing career at the University of Houston, but the pro game is still a bit fast for him and he isn't picking up blitzes very well yet. However, if the Texans are patient enough and stick with him, he may just turn out to be great. Keenum has already showed flashes of brilliance and will only get better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Texans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans urged to stay in room, not eat room serv... Nov 18 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Osweiler return to Denver a bust Oct '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News O'Brien not concerned about Osweiler's intercep... Oct '16 Failpatrick 1
News Rob Gronkowski active for Patriots, set to make... Sep '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News It's Time the Chicago Bears Move On from Jay Cu... Sep '16 Cypress Gradens 4
News Belichick on QB: 'Not a doctor, don't do surger... Sep '16 Dr Phil 1
Repent Repent Houston (Apr '16) Apr '16 REPENT HOUSTON 1
More from around the web