Report: Minnesota Vikings call free-a...

Report: Minnesota Vikings call free-agent offensive guard

There are 81 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 10, 2010, titled Report: Minnesota Vikings call free-agent offensive guard. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Minnesota Vikings called free agent offensive guard Chester Pitts recently to ask about his recovery from knee surgery last season, according to foxsportshouston.com. "I've talked with several teams," Pitts told the website.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
CT Viking Fan

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 10, 2010
Maybe signing a F/A was better than drafting from a thin class at OG. Somebody ought to let those people know who thought the season was over after the draft. They might come back.
purplehaze1

St. John's, Canada

#2 May 10, 2010
the seahags are the front runners...CHESTER my man...you would trade a chance at a SB to play for Seattle? another brilliant mind being wasted...GO VIKES!!!
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#3 May 10, 2010
I dont know much about this guy, who would he replace?
DCVikingFan

Bethesda, MD

#5 May 10, 2010
Concerning the Vikins O-line: Loadholt started right tackle as a rookie and Sullivan was a first year starter at center. Both are 24 and should improve this year. Hutchinson and McKinney are over 30 and might be slowing down but you canít reasonably expect to find anyone better via free agency or even a trade. That leaves right guard as the best position for an upgrade. Herrera is a 7 year veteran that you canít expect to play any better than he did last year. If the Vikings can upgrade RG and the other lineman play to their potential we might be talking about Peterson rushing for 2,000 yards again.
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#6 May 10, 2010
FudgePackerKilla wrote:
Until he proves he can even walk normally, he couldn't replace a little old lady right about now.

Besides that, he plays LG - Steve Hutchinson's spot. No chance he's replacing Hutch. He'd ideally come in to at least back up (if not beat out) Herrera at the right guard spot. Both the coaches and Pitts would have to believe that he can make that switch successfully. If not, Pitts would be better served playing elsewhere.

Lots of Vikes fans wanted them to pick up Faneca after his release from the Jets. Same thing - he's played only the left side his entire career. Plus, as a free agent, they couldn't force him to switch sides, as he'd likly require an agreement that he'd stay at his preferred spot before signing a contract, anyway.

I guess I'd just rather have an average right guard than a better than average left guard trying to play a new spot on the right side. Not sure there would be a clear upgrade there, especially with a guy coming back from a knee surgery.
Da Bears 2010

Glen Ellyn, IL

#7 May 10, 2010
FudgePackerKilla wrote:
Story says Vikings lost their top backup...DUH!!!!!
Da Bears 2010

Glen Ellyn, IL

#8 May 10, 2010
DCVikingFan wrote:
Concerning the Vikins O-line: Loadholt started right tackle as a rookie and Sullivan was a first year starter at center. Both are 24 and should improve this year. Hutchinson and McKinney are over 30 and might be slowing down but you canít reasonably expect to find anyone better via free agency or even a trade. That leaves right guard as the best position for an upgrade. Herrera is a 7 year veteran that you canít expect to play any better than he did last year. If the Vikings can upgrade RG and the other lineman play to their potential we might be talking about Peterson rushing for 2,000 yards again.
But then again, he might fumble 50 times also.
Da Bears 2010

Glen Ellyn, IL

#9 May 10, 2010
I might have to find a new blog, ripping Viking fans and pointing out their faults is like stealing candy from a baby. HOWL!!!!
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#10 May 10, 2010
Reality Checker wrote:
<quoted text>
Until he proves he can even walk normally, he couldn't replace a little old lady right about now.
Besides that, he plays LG - Steve Hutchinson's spot. No chance he's replacing Hutch. He'd ideally come in to at least back up (if not beat out) Herrera at the right guard spot. Both the coaches and Pitts would have to believe that he can make that switch successfully. If not, Pitts would be better served playing elsewhere.
Lots of Vikes fans wanted them to pick up Faneca after his release from the Jets. Same thing - he's played only the left side his entire career. Plus, as a free agent, they couldn't force him to switch sides, as he'd likly require an agreement that he'd stay at his preferred spot before signing a contract, anyway.
I guess I'd just rather have an average right guard than a better than average left guard trying to play a new spot on the right side. Not sure there would be a clear upgrade there, especially with a guy coming back from a knee surgery.
I too thought Faneca would be a good signing if he could make the switch to the right side. But he signed with AZ already. It doesnt look like theres much talent left with the remaining FAs. Anyways, we'll be better up front this year than last with Sulli and Loadholt a year older.
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#11 May 10, 2010
FudgePackerKilla wrote:
<quoted text>
I too thought Faneca would be a good signing if he could make the switch to the right side. But he signed with AZ already. It doesnt look like theres much talent left with the remaining FAs. Anyways, we'll be better up front this year than last with Sulli and Loadholt a year older.
I think that's exactly what they're betting on.

Seemed to me the whole line actually did well in pass protection for about 10 games last year -- rough for the first few, then they settled in and gave up few sacks than average until the last few games, when guys like McKinnie and Hutchinson were getting beat up with injuries.(Remember that play in the first Packer game where Favre took about 8 seconds to unload the ball while the line still kept him safe?)

I'm concerned about is the run blocking. AP got stuffed at the line more last year than the previous two seasons. So what changed? Two new starters. I have to believe that had something to do with it, and might have contribted to his fumbles, too.

So my questions are, will Sullivan improve in run blocking this year, and will Herrera fare better now that his two neighboring linemates have more experience? Hope so..

Da Bears 2010

Glen Ellyn, IL

#12 May 10, 2010
Reality Checker wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's exactly what they're betting on.
Seemed to me the whole line actually did well in pass protection for about 10 games last year -- rough for the first few, then they settled in and gave up few sacks than average until the last few games, when guys like McKinnie and Hutchinson were getting beat up with injuries.(Remember that play in the first Packer game where Favre took about 8 seconds to unload the ball while the line still kept him safe?)
I'm concerned about is the run blocking. AP got stuffed at the line more last year than the previous two seasons. So what changed? Two new starters. I have to believe that had something to do with it, and might have contribted to his fumbles, too.
So my questions are, will Sullivan improve in run blocking this year, and will Herrera fare better now that his two neighboring linemates have more experience? Hope so..
Here's the reality. You have a swinging door for McKinnie, and your new starters arent doing the job. And AP cant hang onto a loaf of bread. Hutchinson cant block three people therefore Ol' Gumslinger had to air it out and "Voila" INT. Pitts could help immensily as a lawn chair for McKinnie.
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#13 May 10, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
<quoted text>Here's the reality. You have a swinging door for McKinnie, and your new starters arent doing the job. And AP cant hang onto a loaf of bread. Hutchinson cant block three people therefore Ol' Gumslinger had to air it out and "Voila" INT. Pitts could help immensily as a lawn chair for McKinnie.
Cutler -- 29 INT's.
Da Bears 2010

Glen Ellyn, IL

#14 May 10, 2010
Reality Checker wrote:
<quoted text>
Cutler -- 29 INT's.
Big deal. Enter Mike Martz, your D will be chasing their tails. Good luck!!!!
Straight cash homey

Duluth, MN

#15 May 10, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
I might have to find a new blog, ripping Viking fans and pointing out their faults is like stealing candy from a baby. HOWL!!!!
Praising yourself for your unimaginative comments? Go ahead and find that new blog - the NFC North is all about the Vikings and Packers anyway. Viking fans would like to thank the Bears though, for jumping in and grabbing that overrated crybaby Cutler before he ended up here and ruined our team for the next decade.
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#16 May 10, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
<quoted text>Big deal. Enter Mike Martz, your D will be chasing their tails. Good luck!!!!
So Martz is the saviour for 2010? Just like Cutler was in 2009. Who will it be next year? Martz runs a pass heavy offense and even if you still believe in Cutler, who will he throw to? Earl Bennett, lol, theres another name I heard from Panda fans all last off season as potential saviour, what did he do, squat! Typical Panda fan, always optimistic until the season starts!

“Vikings West Coast Rep!”

Since: Mar 07

Ridgecrest, California

#17 May 10, 2010
Prediction: Lions finish 3rd, Bears 4th in division in 2010.. lock it!

Ill-noise is such a $#!t#[email protected]!!!!!
SAVE THE VIKES

Thiensville, WI

#18 May 10, 2010
HELP KEEP THE VIKINGS IN MINNESOTA

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/specialses...

Spread the word ANY WAY you know how! Email friends, post on boards, call in to radio shows, etc...
Smartass

Saint Paul, MN

#19 May 10, 2010
Now from the crystal ball.....
The year is 2017, reporting from Los Angles, CA..The LA Vikes still have that old man Brett with his walker out there on first down. It has been six years now that LA has taken a pro team out of Minneapolis ( Lakers were the first ), so here we sit looking at a funny little guy they called " chilly" running the chains. The owner Wilffy has milked the LA area for 250 million dollars to move his team here but still has the same old same old. He just changes the oil and gives em a new set of spark plugs, slap on some new rubber and gear them up. But they still never make it past the first round."
les femme Bears 2010

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 May 10, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
OK Ditka head. The Bear Cubs will be scary.
alex

Austin, MN

#21 May 10, 2010
Da Bears 2010 wrote:
<quoted text>But then again, he might fumble 50 times also.
peterson is better than your top running back and that is why you took chester tatlor so that the talent of chester and forte would be close to equalling the talent of peterson. the funniest is part is when you guys had an other adrain peterson in hope he would have the same impact as our adrian peterson. Another reason you shouldn't even talk is because we rountially beat you guys i can almost quarantee we will crush your team twice thanks to Mr .Intereception ( a.K.a. Cutler) and also despite our turnovers our defense stiffled the saints offense so if we can stop the saints we can definately stop da Cubs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Texans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Texans sign quarterback Josh Johnson, release M... Nov 9 Fart Planets 2
News Woman charged with filing false police report a... Nov 9 Long Farts 2
News Texans say prison costume worn by Jadeveon Clow... Nov 3 Joyce Sernec 1
News NFL owner apologizes over 'inmates' comment Oct 27 Farted Now 2
News Watson donates first game check to Harvey victi... Sep '17 Raiders pharts 3
News Tom Brady, Bill Belichick donate to J.J. Watt's... Sep '17 RaiderzPharrt 4
News Texans' JJ Watt has raised over $6 million for ... Aug '17 DonatedPharting 4
More from around the web