'Read option' rules of hitting QB?

'Read option' rules of hitting QB?

Posted in the Green Bay Packers Forum

GBPmies

Finland

#1 Apr 6, 2013
I have a question I thought one of you might know.

Is the QB still protected under rules of hitting a QB in a read option play? As in can he run the read option and then start to slide without a defender taking his head off.
Scenarios

1. Imagine Rodgers is back to pass.. then scrambles for 6 yrds and starts to slide as defenders approach. In this scenario he cannot be touched as he starts to go down.

2. Now imagine Rodgers runs a read option play, keeps it and runs for 6 yrds and starts to slide as defenders approach... can he be hit like a RB or instead a sliding QB? Is he protected under QB rules of sliding on a 'read option' play?

It is an interesting question that will determine whether the 'read option' continues to be used.
eric

Verona, WI

#2 Apr 6, 2013
I would think once the qb starts sliding,he considered down,although if you want to play the qb option,then QB should be fair game IMO.If you dont hit the qb and he flips the ball as the other option,then that puts the defense at a distinct dis advantage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Packers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who has the strongest QB arm in the NFL? WHo's... (Oct '06) Sep 16 Lifewinner 257
News Matthews, Peppers talk PEDs with NFL investigators Aug 29 y 2
News Packers' Matthews, Peppers face suspension Aug '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Jordan Rodgers, Aaron's brother, debuts on 'The... May '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Way-Too-Early Depth Chart for Packers May '16 Bleeds Purple 1
News Munn, Rodgers not engaged, she tells Instagram (Jan '16) Apr '16 gooseberry 3
News Jared Cook to Sign with Packers: Latest Contrac... Mar '16 Bleeds Purple 1
More from around the web