Five Most Overrated QB of All Time
BlackTar

United States

#23 Nov 27, 2007
Jerry wrote:
Being a media darling as you put it does not make a QB one of the greatest ever. Also using the fantasy excuse that one QB was surrounded by better players than the other is pure hogwash. A QB who wins games does so because he is on a good or great winning team. There is no other reason.
good becasue favre is the all time winner and every thing else.
Andrew

United States

#24 Nov 27, 2007
I still don't understand how Favre could even be thought of as being "Overrated". Football is mean sport requiring alot for one's body.

The guy has played 250 straight games for the Green and Gold. He has played through more than any of us could possibly imagine.(broken fingers, painful ankles, and other nagging injuries) That alone makes him nothing but a great football player because of his toughness.

I don't know how many non-packer fans would say he is number 1 all-time but I think most people would put them in the top 10.

If I were a GM and was looking to draft a particular rookie QB and somebody told me that this qb would win my ball struggling ball club 160+ games in 16 seasons, throw 435+ TD, and 60,000+ yards, Thirty some 4th QTR comebacks, 3 MVP's, and a superbowl ring ending a 30 year drought, I'd draft the guy right away....

I think he has done more than enough for the game, position, and Green Bay Packers to warrant at least a top 10 qb and nothing close to the title of Overrated...
Joe

Wilmington, DE

#25 Nov 27, 2007
Andrew wrote:
I still don't understand how Favre could even be thought of as being "Overrated". Football is mean sport requiring alot for one's body.
The guy has played 250 straight games for the Green and Gold. He has played through more than any of us could possibly imagine.(broken fingers, painful ankles, and other nagging injuries) That alone makes him nothing but a great football player because of his toughness.
I don't know how many non-packer fans would say he is number 1 all-time but I think most people would put them in the top 10.
If I were a GM and was looking to draft a particular rookie QB and somebody told me that this qb would win my ball struggling ball club 160+ games in 16 seasons, throw 435+ TD, and 60,000+ yards, Thirty some 4th QTR comebacks, 3 MVP's, and a superbowl ring ending a 30 year drought, I'd draft the guy right away....
I think he has done more than enough for the game, position, and Green Bay Packers to warrant at least a top 10 qb and nothing close to the title of Overrated...
I can understand a little... because even when favre is doing good or bad or whatever he gets more attention in the league then anyone else... He got more attention for coming back then the colts got for winning the superbowl and in that sense i can see why people could come to somewhat of a conclusion of him being overrated... I dont think he is overrated when it comes to his skills and what he can do on the field but its everything else that people might have an argument about. I love brett favre and even i try to find every excuse in the book when he does make a mistake.
BlackTar

United States

#26 Nov 27, 2007
i agree joe, i understand why they call him it but im not sure the word is in use correctly when he is called overrated with the ref to what you said. That may be overrated. but if you remeber he got alot of attn. but for the last 2 yrs it has not been good esp. with all the doubters claiming to know more abhout him and his situation then himself. I understand the agony of watching oer and over a favre tribute as you all know im a die hard packer fan and a die hard favre fan. i get sick of the ohh its favre montage and stuff like that. I agree his play is not overrated his exposure it for sure. like i said i get sick of it sometimes and im loyal as hell. so if anyone can help clarify the word overrated for me or give me a better word that describes what joe and me agree on.
Fireball

Carson City, NV

#27 Nov 28, 2007
Jerry wrote:
Look, you guys post articles which I even read sometimes, but I don't make a big deal out of them. Blow it off, it's just an article, it's just football. Don't turn it into a national crisis. Geez.
Yeah really. I remember you, Jerry, on previous posts stating that these NFL analysts/writers don't know anything about football. I think you might be right, especially after reading this article by Sal Pal.
Yan S

Green Bay, WI

#28 Nov 28, 2007
Jerry wrote:
Being a media darling as you put it does not make a QB one of the greatest ever. Also using the fantasy excuse that one QB was surrounded by better players than the other is pure hogwash. A QB who wins games does so because he is on a good or great winning team. There is no other reason.
But the media issue does affect people's opinions. The more the spotlight is on someone(or something) the more familiar with it they become. It's a sheer matter of advertising. How many people can pass a blind taste test among Coke/Pepsi/RC/Jolt/Jolly Good Cola ? Which is best? Opinion and perhaps amount of advertising.

And stats alone or even number of championship teams one has been one does not make one the best. As I've said before else where, there is no "the best". There's simply no way to calculate this. It is all opinion. Some might be best one year, and not the next.

...because they are on a good team. I would agree with what it appears to be suggested here. One person does not make a team. The team wins and focusing solely on one person is non-sense and a waste of time.
That's something the mass media and advertising make a lot of money off of, and draw a lot of people in. With the cult of personality.
Pat S

AOL

#29 Nov 29, 2007
My 5 most overrated quarterbacks of all time
1. Brett Favre
2. Michael Vick
3. Trent Dilfer
4. Eli Manning
5. Doug Williams
asdfasd

AOL

#30 Dec 6, 2007
i never heard trent dilfer gettin that much props even after he won the superbowl. no one gives eli manning that much props either, in fact most probably think hes not that good or maybe later on can get good. Ill give you vick. Doug Williams i never really seen him play. as of favre, check the stats and get back to me.
BlackTar

United States

#31 Dec 6, 2007
The micheal Vick Experince is for sure my #1 overrated.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#32 Dec 6, 2007
Hopefully we"ll never have to see that jerk every again!
Hector

AOL

#34 Dec 9, 2007
asdfasd wrote:
i never heard trent dilfer gettin that much props even after he won the superbowl. no one gives eli manning that much props either, in fact most probably think hes not that good or maybe later on can get good. Ill give you vick. Doug Williams i never really seen him play. as of favre, check the stats and get back to me.
i agree favre is the only one that belongs on Pat S' list ... the rest were just as shitty as brat, but did not get any credit ... lol ... lol
Brad

Milwaukee, WI

#35 Dec 11, 2007
It's certainly possible for Favre to be overrated. But then the rating calculated by taking Favre's actual worthiness plus the hype must be some unreachable sum. A guy who has played 250 straight games, has the TD record, has the completions record, more 3000+ yard seasons ever AND consecutively, soon to have the most yardage passing ever, and has the most wins as a starting QB ever all with very little overall talent (made a 1,000 yard receiver out of Bill Schroeder TWICE for crying out loud! The man did nothing afterward) and the services of Mike Holmgren as coach for significantly less than half his career, and was saddled with Mike Sherman for six years. Even with the likes of Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson not doing ROTTEN jobs Favre is tossing it around like it was a decade ago. Wow, get Favre some receivers who can get a yard of separation and he's great again. Who knew? Apparently latter era Wolf and Sherman didn't.

So overrated? Maybe. But saying he's number 1 when he's probably number 3 (if I had to do such rankings) would make him overrated. But then I think an assessment of the MARGIN of differential needs to be included. There have been about 650 QB's to play in the NFL after 1960 (or were prolific before then) so to there's a big difference between really being number 543rd on the list and getting ranked 113th. THAT would be overrated. Saying you are 2nd instead of 6th, does it really matter? A lot of people believe that trying to rank QB's is impossible anyway. To then secondarily gripe that one is infintisimally rated higher than he should be out of 650 isn't meaningful either.

It mostly stems form an a priori dislike for whatever reason, and anything will be used to tear down. How can you say that a guy who will number 1 in all the major records soon, mostly in moving the ball down field and winning games, is VASTLY overrated? Even giving a few demerits for having pudding between his ears at crucial times doesn't knock him well down the list. And to leave the impression that he is MAJORLY overrated is nonsense.
rich

Bringhurst, IN

#36 Dec 11, 2007
Who the hell cares what sal pal says. What sport has he ever played or done anything in. Now he rights opinionated stories, gets paid big money but nobody knows what he has ever done . How do these guys get these jobs.
Jerry

Kenosha, WI

#37 Dec 11, 2007
When you rank Favre based on records or stats it is an invalid argument. Which one of the records did he achieve by himself without the help of any other players? The answer is none. Not one. Not even the 250 consecutive starts. Fumbles maybe.
fusion2k5

Toronto, Canada

#38 Dec 11, 2007
Jerry wrote:
When you rank Favre based on records or stats it is an invalid argument. Which one of the records did he achieve by himself without the help of any other players? The answer is none. Not one. Not even the 250 consecutive starts. Fumbles maybe.
That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.
You really sacrifice your reputation on here to discredit Favre but you always come out looking like a true moron.
Jerry Is A Moron

Toronto, Canada

#39 Dec 11, 2007
Jerry wrote:
Which one of the records did he achieve by himself without the help of any other players? The answer is none. Not one. Not even the 250 consecutive starts. Fumbles maybe.
Wow, the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. Above is my new username, dedicated to Jerry's intelligence.
All Street Pro

Wisconsin Rapids, WI

#40 Dec 11, 2007
Jerry wrote:
When you rank Favre based on records or stats it is an invalid argument. Which one of the records did he achieve by himself without the help of any other players? The answer is none. Not one. Not even the 250 consecutive starts. Fumbles maybe.
TOTALLY BS!
Rick

Upper Marlboro, MD

#41 Dec 11, 2007
All Street Pro wrote:
<quoted text>TOTALLY BS!
Don't let Jerry's bias ruin the ride! LOL!

C'mon Jerry, enjoy it! I will guarantee it: AR would not have had the Packers 11-2. He probably would not have them even close to a playoff caliber team. Not his fault but you need to the captain for awhile. Look at Romo and I HOPE AR TURNS OUT TO BE AS GOOD AS ROMO!

So, Jerry enjoy it. Favre is one of the BEST!

Happy Holidays all!

“It's an oversized hat.. funny”

Since: Mar 07

Marquette MI

#42 Dec 11, 2007
Jerry wrote:
When you rank Favre based on records or stats it is an invalid argument. Which one of the records did he achieve by himself without the help of any other players? The answer is none. Not one. Not even the 250 consecutive starts. Fumbles maybe.
following that logic we might as well stop keeping records/stats in any team sport because hey nobody has ever accomplished anything without the help of any other players. that way we can say that tom brady and joey harrington are on the same level because neither one has accomplished anything on their own. oh but lets keep track of "fumbles maybe" because i'm sure that there has not been any fumbles created by a blind side hit due to a miscommunication or missed block amongst offensive linemen. seriously though, did favre pillage your village and then crap in your cheerios? why do you need to hate on him all the time? i'd say he's had a pretty good run in the nfl...*cough* hall of fame first ballot... sorry it must be this cold i can't shake... and has done some pretty good things for our packers *cough* 3 mvp's, brought home a superbowl win, and filled a seat or two over the years. support your team and support your quarterback in their success because when he hangs it up, it could be a while until we see another player as "overrated" as him.
eric

Neillsville, WI

#43 Dec 11, 2007
See that is my question,,Everyone says we wouldnt be this good if Rodgers was qb,Who says we wouldnt be.

Favre sucked with no receivers so it was lack of talent,now Favre has receivers and its Favre is great! Now WHos to say Rodgers couldnt have a great year with the cast he has on hand?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Packers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News People's Forum (Jan '06) Feb 8 ThrowPhartings 2
News Vikings' plane slides off Wisconsin runway, stu... Jan 30 ChickenPhartz 4
News Packers' Allison charged with misdemeanor drug ... Jan '17 PossessionPharts 3
Why do the Packers suck? Jan '17 FranklinPharts 3
News The Latest: Strange penalty stalls Cowboys and ... Jan '17 GoodPhartz 12
News Packers beat Bears 30-27 after Rodgers' big pas... Dec '16 Reggie 8-6 1
News NFL: Packers snap skid by downing Eagles Nov '16 Dope in Denver 3
More from around the web