Draft overview: Thompson bulks up roster

Draft overview: Thompson bulks up roster

There are 38 comments on the WisInfo story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Draft overview: Thompson bulks up roster. In it, WisInfo reports that:

The second day of the Green Bay Packers' 2009 draft lost much of its punch Saturday evening, when General Manager Ted Thompson traded two valuable third-round picks to land outside linebacker Clay Matthews.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#21 Apr 27, 2009
The Pack still have some work to do, but in a weird sense it was valuable those young backups got some playing time, and hopefully it translates this year and they are ready to play, because we all know it, we'll have some injuries.
normallylikeyell ow

Bellwood, PA

#22 Apr 28, 2009
We missed Nick Barnett. It's like the Bears without Urlacker. Everyone loves AJ and so do I, but Barnett's the man out there. I'm really disappointed we didn't more depth at NT. While we were trading up to get another LB the Steelers were sitting on Ziggy Hood. He'll be great. A key injury and we're right where we were last year.
eric

Denmark, WI

#23 Apr 28, 2009
At NT we have Pickett and Raji,so thats as much depth as anyone else and of course if Justin Harrell is actually healthy there's a 3rd NT and if not and the Packers cut him,im sure Ted will find another d lineman to replace him.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#24 Apr 28, 2009
eric wrote:
At NT we have Pickett and Raji,so thats as much depth as anyone else and of course if Justin Harrell is actually healthy there's a 3rd NT and if not and the Packers cut him,im sure Ted will find another d lineman to replace him.
I've heard Harrell will cost 4 million against the cap even if he gets cut. If true, he won't get cut no matter what.
normallylikeyell ow

Curwensville, PA

#25 Apr 28, 2009
I have no confidence Harrell will contribute. What if Pickett goes down? We are a world of trouble. Raji can play 3 downs, but not all day.
normallylikeyell ow

Curwensville, PA

#26 Apr 28, 2009
What if Raji goes down? Pickett every down? Capers himself said that if you don't have a solid rotation at NT, you have to stunt, and "that usually isn't very effective."
normallylikeyell ow

Curwensville, PA

#27 Apr 28, 2009
I think we panicked because we thought the Patriots would take Mathews. We were probably right about that. But was the guy worth all of those picks? Think of what came off that board between that and our next pick (us with 3 less). Mathews is a Lawrence Taylor. That's what we're saying. I sure hope we're right.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#28 Apr 28, 2009
normallylikeyellow wrote:
I think we panicked because we thought the Patriots would take Mathews. We were probably right about that. But was the guy worth all of those picks? Think of what came off that board between that and our next pick (us with 3 less). Mathews is a Lawrence Taylor. That's what we're saying. I sure hope we're right.
We know the Packers could have had Tony Gonzales for the #2. Does Clay Mathews = Tony Gonzales plus two 3rd round picks? I guess we will never really know.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#29 Apr 28, 2009
I have no confidence Harrell will contribute. What if Pickett goes down? We are a world of trouble. Raji can play 3 downs, but not all day.
I heard he is an everydown lineman, and being young will be a nice addition to rotate these guys in and out so we can avoid injuries, but fluke things happen, normally you need to knock on wood. I heard the Steelers released Larry Foote because of cap issues, he started all 16 games last year, why not pick him up?
normallylikeyell ow

Curwensville, PA

#30 Apr 28, 2009
Foote would be good. Is he worth 3 draft picks? You see what I am saying?
eric

Denmark, WI

#31 Apr 28, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard Harrell will cost 4 million against the cap even if he gets cut. If true, he won't get cut no matter what.
if he doesnt play make him the laundry guy who washes the jocks or something! make him earn something
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#32 Apr 28, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>if he doesnt play make him the laundry guy who washes the jocks or something! make him earn something
I agree.LOL
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#34 Apr 29, 2009
Foote would be good. Is he worth 3 draft picks? You see what I am saying?
I am baffled by the 3 draft picks also, don't get me wrong, but this Matthews is an exciting kid. Larry Foote is a FA, we don't have to give up anything, and he has superbowl pedigree, which would be a good addition, I hope they take a shot at him.

“It's an oversized hat.. funny”

Since: Mar 07

Marquette MI

#35 Apr 29, 2009
I will start off by saying I'm not a huge fan of TT. He seems a bit too full of himself and he obviously has a serious problem with taking chances in free agency. As a fan I want to see him get out there and take a chance on a proven established player once in a while. I want to know what to expect from the players on the team if I'm going to support and really be excited about it. And please Ted don't chase any more HOF qb's out of green bay its kind of a downer. I think he does a good job with drafting, not the best in the business as some people want to believe. He has drafted a lot of busts too, but for the most part I feel pretty confident in his drafting ability. I was very happy with his draft class this year. With the 3-4 we needed a nose takle and depth at linebacker. He went out there and got it. Good job TT? Not quite. We'll see how his players develop. But I will admit I feel pretty good about them. Now if he could just take the blinders off and use the free agent market a bit more. Just remember draft picks can turn into busts and free agents don't always produce like a GM had envisioned them to so why not take your best educated guesses using all the tools at a GM's disposal it doesn't need to be one or the other. I'm just saying balance out the teams money and take a chance on some free agents once in a while. An average of 6 wins per season isn't a strong indicator that Ted has this team headed to the promised land if he keeps running things like he has. Its cool to think if these guys develop into the players we hope that they can be then wow we have a great team here, but someone has to point out to TT that the proof is in the pudding and his pudding, while unique, is pretty mediocre so far.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#36 Apr 29, 2009
All I can say to this last post is no GM in the league has a formula that will guarantee consistent winning. Some teams are fortunate enough to have a Brady, Manning, or the guy from Pittsburgh. There are a few players that will make a team better and Brett was one of those. To gut a team and rebuild it doesn't happen overnight. Our 2007 season was a magical season when everything fell into place. Last year was almost the opposite where we lost 5-6 games that could have been wins with a play or two different. TT has no interest in running a popularity contest, but his only concern is the team headed in the right direction. Changes in coaching have been made and the two FA's/draft may have brought the players to make this team win. No one knows now if these changes will work, but at least TT/MM saw that changes were necessary.
normallylikeyell ow

Houtzdale, PA

#37 Apr 29, 2009
Wonderin, building through the draft is fine, but the problem I see is that when you change defensive schemes, the veterans are learning at the same time as the rookies, while the latter are adjusting to pro football. This is where FA veterans come in handy--they know the scheme and can help others. One backup safety is not going to do it. A guy like Foote could help, but we're too cheap. All we needed to do was add depth in the middle of our D line--not change schemes. We got 1 great guy (Raji). I hope he and Pickett stay healthy or we may lose even more games. We actually had more options in the 4-3, because Jenkins could could move in and out and our smaller D ends could come in for pass situations. Now we're standing the best D end in the conference up (Kampman) and if Jenkins or Pickett or Raji go down? We are undermanned to play the 3-4.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#38 Apr 29, 2009
All I can say is that some people are way too patient. We know where that kind of patience got the Lions. Some teams do consistently win. The Patriots didn't need Brady to win. Eleven wins with a QB that didn't start a game since High School. The Giants were without Strahan, lost Umenyiora for the season, had injuries in their backfield and lost PB and managed to win more games than the previous season. And there are others. Losing 7 more games is not the natural consequence of injuries. Losing 7 more games than the previous season is the natural consequence of poor management.
normallylikeyell ow

Houtzdale, PA

#39 Apr 29, 2009
I agree, with the caveat that we could have easily won 4 of the games we lost last year. That's my issue. Will a change in D s scheme and a partial change in run scheme add up to finishing more games with the lead? Looks like a 2 year project, at minimum, to me. I think we should have stayed the course.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Packers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Strange penalty stalls Cowboys and ... Jan 17 GoodPhartz 13
News Packers' Allison charged with misdemeanor drug ... Jan 11 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Vikings' plane slides off Wisconsin runway, stu... Dec 24 Go Blue Forever 1
News Packers beat Bears 30-27 after Rodgers' big pas... Dec '16 Reggie 8-6 1
News NFL: Packers snap skid by downing Eagles Nov '16 Dope in Denver 3
News Do the Packers have enough time to turn their s... Nov '16 humm 3
News Back home, Packers look to get timing back agai... Nov '16 Tanked Johnson 2
More from around the web