Draft overview: Thompson bulks up roster

Draft overview: Thompson bulks up roster

There are 38 comments on the WisInfo story from Apr 27, 2009, titled Draft overview: Thompson bulks up roster. In it, WisInfo reports that:

The second day of the Green Bay Packers' 2009 draft lost much of its punch Saturday evening, when General Manager Ted Thompson traded two valuable third-round picks to land outside linebacker Clay Matthews.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WisInfo.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#1 Apr 27, 2009
Just an excellent draft for us because we addressed a bunch of needs. From Raji to the FB, things fell in place for us. Most would agree that TT is very good at evaluating young talent, but I feel even he out did myself with this collection of talent. This should be a very exciting season and I'm most interested to see how this defense will shape up and perform.
eric

Necedah, WI

#2 Apr 27, 2009
The tackle they drafted in the 5th round fell because of his passion for football.His talent is so good that it was said if he had football passion he was a 2nd rounder,and if he kicks it in now that hes in the NFl we have a steal !if not its a 5th round pick wasted,but,its worth a shot!

I am encouraged that Ted would draft up! Ok 3 picks for Mathews might be abit much,but,with his pedigree if he is a pro bowl or at least a very good LB it was a good deal for both!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Apr 27, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
Just an excellent draft for us because we addressed a bunch of needs. From Raji to the FB, things fell in place for us. Most would agree that TT is very good at evaluating young talent, but I feel even he out did myself with this collection of talent. This should be a very exciting season and I'm most interested to see how this defense will shape up and perform.
The Packers are 6-10. So if there are people that think TT is good at evaluating young talent, it is obvious that "thinking" isn't their strength.

The thing that doesn't suprise me is that many of the same people that thought Chicago gave up too much for Cutler are now the same people that are overjoyed about TT giving up so much for Mathews. Why doesn't this suprise me? Because most of those people were the TT fanatics. And being a TT fanatic and being a stupid hypocrit frequently go hand in hand.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Apr 27, 2009
eric wrote:
The tackle they drafted in the 5th round fell because of his passion for football.His talent is so good that it was said if he had football passion he was a 2nd rounder,and if he kicks it in now that hes in the NFl we have a steal !if not its a 5th round pick wasted,but,its worth a shot!
I am encouraged that Ted would draft up! Ok 3 picks for Mathews might be abit much,but,with his pedigree if he is a pro bowl or at least a very good LB it was a good deal for both!
The thing that doesn't suprise me is that many of the same people that thought Chicago gave up too much for Cutler are now the same people that are overjoyed about TT giving up so much for Mathews. Why doesn't this suprise me? Because most of those people were the TT fanatics. And being a TT fanatic and being a stupid hypocrit frequently go hand in hand.
Andrew

Nashville, IN

#5 Apr 27, 2009
Finally, TT drafts for need AND best option available. I liked this draft sooooo much more than any of his other ones. Altough it does not really matter, all the so-called "experts" gave packers high grades on the draft.

I'm definitely excited to see this new defense!
eric

Necedah, WI

#6 Apr 27, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
is it safe to assume you are including me in this?
i do think a 2nd and 2 3rds are a bit much for the 20+ pick,but,at least Ted is tring a different approach and if the guy pans out we might have something.
funny thing is ( IMO) is after a 6-10 year with injuries and seeing we need depth,you would think Ted would trade DOWN for extra picks!
Ted trading UP for a better pick tells me he thinks this team is close and obviously closer then many think they are and we are a few players away from a championship team,why else would he trade 3 picks for a late 1st rounder?
eric

Necedah, WI

#7 Apr 27, 2009
Andrew wrote:
Finally, TT drafts for need AND best option available. I liked this draft sooooo much more than any of his other ones. Altough it does not really matter, all the so-called "experts" gave packers high grades on the draft.
I'm definitely excited to see this new defense!
im surprised he didn't grab Crabtree! Crabtree was his first on his draft list,but,like you said,he finally drafted for need.If this years works itself into a playoff year,maybe Ted has found another system here and that would be very nice .He needs to know when to draft for needs or for extra picks ect.
mike

Minong, WI

#8 Apr 27, 2009
I rarely agree with anything TT does. But i do like his first two pics. If we do switch to a 3-4 deffence Mathews will be a big help. and HOLY HELL we needed help on out D-line so raji is needed to. and for once a agree with passing up crabtree we dont need recievers. we need Defence and thats where we drafted.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#9 Apr 27, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>is it safe to assume you are including me in this?
i do think a 2nd and 2 3rds are a bit much for the 20+ pick,but,at least Ted is tring a different approach and if the guy pans out we might have something.
funny thing is ( IMO) is after a 6-10 year with injuries and seeing we need depth,you would think Ted would trade DOWN for extra picks!
Ted trading UP for a better pick tells me he thinks this team is close and obviously closer then many think they are and we are a few players away from a championship team,why else would he trade 3 picks for a late 1st rounder?
I'm just pointing out a fact. Other people know what kinds of things people are saying. I'm just helping people to realize that when they go overboard about TT, they are associating with hypocrits.

Your analysis of TT's thinking is logical.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Apr 27, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>im surprised he didn't grab Crabtree! Crabtree was his first on his draft list,but,like you said,he finally drafted for need.If this years works itself into a playoff year,maybe Ted has found another system here and that would be very nice .He needs to know when to draft for needs or for extra picks ect.
The important thing is to have a plan. Since nobody wins championships without defense, it is good to have building and maintaining your defense be part of the plan. In my humble opinion, drafting Ctabtree would have been fine as long as TT had an alternate plan to build the defense. But that probably would have been revealed early in free agency. So I assume TT was just sticking with the plan. We may find out in the future whether TT should have pursued building the defense in free agency in order to leave himself the flexibility to draft Crabtree.
eric

Necedah, WI

#11 Apr 27, 2009
i was reading the local rag about a Canadian college player that wont be draftd.He played in Canada for 3 years and didnt get his papers done in time to transfer to an AMerican colege in time so its doubtful he would be drafted but,he is a NT type and the local paper talked about Ted signing him as an undrafted FA,hes abit bigger then Raji but 2 guys the size of Raji and with Pickett being a FA after the 09 season and a year for this canadian kid on the practice squad,maybe Picketts fate has been written as far as GB is concerened after 09,which is a shame but,RP is in his young 30's and a FA and we dont know how he will play in our new 3-4.I dont think ST played a 3-4 when Pickett was there,they were a 4-3.
eric

Necedah, WI

#12 Apr 27, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
The important thing is to have a plan. Since nobody wins championships without defense, it is good to have building and maintaining your defense be part of the plan. In my humble opinion, drafting Ctabtree would have been fine as long as TT had an alternate plan to build the defense. But that probably would have been revealed early in free agency. So I assume TT was just sticking with the plan. We may find out in the future whether TT should have pursued building the defense in free agency in order to leave himself the flexibility to draft Crabtree.
I wonder about Crabtree,hes a me,me kind of guy and i think he scared a few teams off with his arrogance,but with Driver getting up in age abit and the fact hes taken alot of hits as hes gone over the middle quite abit,who knows how much he has left and he is due a bit of a nice bonus after the 09 season and Ted may decide 3M roster bonus is to much and DD goes FA after next year as well.so imagine
Crabtree and Jennings! we will only get to imagine as obviously we wont see it for a few years at least assuming SF wont resign him after his first year contract are over and TT opens his dustfilled wallet or if Ted is still hear when Crantree becomes a FA!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#13 Apr 27, 2009
eric wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder about Crabtree,hes a me,me kind of guy and i think he scared a few teams off with his arrogance,but with Driver getting up in age abit and the fact hes taken alot of hits as hes gone over the middle quite abit,who knows how much he has left and he is due a bit of a nice bonus after the 09 season and Ted may decide 3M roster bonus is to much and DD goes FA after next year as well.so imagine
Crabtree and Jennings! we will only get to imagine as obviously we wont see it for a few years at least assuming SF wont resign him after his first year contract are over and TT opens his dustfilled wallet or if Ted is still hear when Crantree becomes a FA!
Have you ever been in a huddle? There is always at least one reciever whining about how he was open. All WRs are "me me" guys, especially the good ones. As long as they don't let it spill into the lockerroom it's no big deal.

I'm intrigued by the idea of putting several great receivers on the field at the same time, but you often see it cause problems. And there is the fact that you can only throw to one guy at a time, so salaries become an issue. Look at the Cardinals. Not getting Crabtree might not be such a bad thing for the Packers.
eric

Necedah, WI

#14 Apr 27, 2009
How true! i agree NT is alot more of a need then WR and defense wins SB ( IMO)
there are cases for both sides but.
Chi.great defense,no offense got to the SB and lost
Indy has both and won it
NYG had both and won it
NE won it with a great offense and a good defense
Balti.no offense great defense,won it
TB ditto
point is with a strong defense we are more likely to win a SB then a team with no defense and a strong OFFenSE and we are lucky enough to have a pretty good offense ( certainly good enougth to win some games if the defnese gets beter) and now the defense is getting better ( we hope)
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#15 Apr 27, 2009
I was thinking like you guys about Crabtree and how that would look with Driver, Jennings, and the others. It would have been pretty potent, but we already have a very deep and talented group of guys at WR. Crabtree would have probably meant closing the door on a Jones, Nelson. No, Raji was the way to go since at some point Pickett would have been out and we have no other options. Now Matthews was the great pick; TT indicated they had been thinking for weeks how to get this guy and that should tell you something. The fact that we gave those picks should make clear to all what TT/MM/Capers think of this guy and what he will mean for the defense. I believe they know that Matthews is the missing piece to what will become a very interesting group to watch.
eric

Necedah, WI

#16 Apr 27, 2009
I wonder the year Ted chances gears and phylosiphy is the first year we have Capers on board and since Capers in d coordinator,i wonder how much of that deal was capers influence?
I still say and since day 1 Capers will be a great d coor. the former d coor from Carl.is our dline coach so we are trmendous there and Kevin Greene is our LB coach so we have a world class coaching staff on defense and if MM screws up and gets canned we have 2 instant coaches already here.
Capers goes to HC nad the former carolina d coor and new d line coach goes to d coordinator here in GB! I think you hit on something wal my friend!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#17 Apr 27, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
I was thinking like you guys about Crabtree and how that would look with Driver, Jennings, and the others. It would have been pretty potent, but we already have a very deep and talented group of guys at WR. Crabtree would have probably meant closing the door on a Jones, Nelson. No, Raji was the way to go since at some point Pickett would have been out and we have no other options. Now Matthews was the great pick; TT indicated they had been thinking for weeks how to get this guy and that should tell you something. The fact that we gave those picks should make clear to all what TT/MM/Capers think of this guy and what he will mean for the defense. I believe they know that Matthews is the missing piece to what will become a very interesting group to watch.
From what little I know, Raji appeared the obvious choice. Of course, I don't have a cast of thousands or rooms of video tape. I doubt that TT will get blame for this pick even if it doesn't work out or Crabtree becomes a star. The real pressure on TT is to win. He deserves this pressure.

I like Mathews for alot of reasons. One reason is that I feel the LBs played well below their potential last year. If nothing else, I hope he pushes the guys already on the roster.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#18 Apr 27, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
From what little I know, Raji appeared the obvious choice. Of course, I don't have a cast of thousands or rooms of video tape. I doubt that TT will get blame for this pick even if it doesn't work out or Crabtree becomes a star. The real pressure on TT is to win. He deserves this pressure.
I like Mathews for alot of reasons. One reason is that I feel the LBs played well below their potential last year. If nothing else, I hope he pushes the guys already on the roster.
It will interesting to see what Kevin Greene gets out of these guys. He pointed out in an interview that LB in thee most important position in a 3-4, and the guy was a very good player. I think these LB's will respond to Greene's enthusiasm and knowledge of the position.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#19 Apr 27, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Packers are 6-10. So if there are people that think TT is good at evaluating young talent, it is obvious that "thinking" isn't their strength.
I don't think it's a talent issue as much it was depth after our defense was depleted with injuries, now we have some depth. Not many teams do well with THAT many injuries.Its not an excuse, it's a fact. Look how well we did when we had limited injuries 2 years ago, Rodgers put up the same numbers Favre did that year. We need Ryan Grant healthy also.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#20 Apr 27, 2009
Yes those backups did not come thru, but they are backups for a reason. They were very young, and got tossed into the fire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Packers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jordan Rodgers, Aaron's brother, debuts on 'The... May '16 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Way-Too-Early Depth Chart for Packers May '16 Bleeds Purple 1
News Munn, Rodgers not engaged, she tells Instagram Apr '16 gooseberry 3
News Jared Cook to Sign with Packers: Latest Contrac... Mar '16 Bleeds Purple 1
What The F#*! Is The Packers Problem? Mar '16 Fart news 11
News Report: Packers want Eddie Lacy to lose a stunn... Mar '16 Fart news 2
News Starr's wife: QB's back issues from Bama hazing Mar '16 Fart news 2
More from around the web