Green Bay Packers: Ted Thompson should trade down

Apr 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TwinCities

Last year, Ted Thompson was the bold one. The Green Bay Packer general manager was the cavalier chasing up his draft board for potential starters on defense.

Comments
41 - 60 of 89 Comments Last updated Apr 29, 2013
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Bleeds Purple wrote:
<quoted text>For one I never stated that he had the same players in the superbowl.I said Thompson was good at first because he had allot of veterans from the past regime on the team.I dont see where I said he had the same players in 2010.Allot of those players in the superbowl were the early drafts choices of Thompson .Thompson hasnt done very good lately thats what I said.
Hasnt done good lately? Randall Cobb? Casey Hayward? Hayward was arguably one of best rookie corners last year and near the top in interceptions, and Cobb is a stud period. The reason GB got back to the Superbowl was Ted Thompson's draft choices, it had nothing to do with the past regime. You know nothing about the Packers history. Thompson gutted the team when he took over and built a Champion. The Vikings are still a few years away from reaching Packer status, but i admit their definitely heading in the right direction. The Lions are completely mismanaged, and the Bears are soon to be in cap hell. Their is a reason why other teams are quick to pick Packer management as employees for their teams. Look around the league and you'll see former Packer management hired by Ted Thompson getting big time gigs elsewhere in the NFL.
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

That just about covers it! Exactly! well done!
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Damn straight Jeremy, I liked you post.

Too bad viking fans and bears fans will never allow themselves to understand or believe your, ericís, or my points. If they agreed with them then they would have to admit Packers success and the likelihood it will continue. It makes them sleep better at night to think, wish, hope, and pray that the Packers are going to fall apart and their teams MIGHT have a shot at going to the playoffs regularly.
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Front Office Power Rankings, March 2013
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/201...

#2. Green Bay

The Packers almost always reside near the top of the list when it comes to the reputation of their front office, because they have the talented roster, draft track record, organizational stability and aversion to quick fixes in free agency that have almost always worked for the league's best and brightest teams. There's a good reason Oakland came after Reggie McKenzie as its GM last year, and John Dorsey was Kansas City's choice to lead the franchise as general manager this year. The tough-minded Packers are seen as having the right approach to building an organization and the kind of commitment to the draft that pays dividends.

Thompson is a scout at heart, and he loves nothing more than to watch tape and do his homework, where others GMs might get caught up in the high profile nature and glamor of the job. Green Bay hasn't followed up with the multiple Super Bowl titles that some predicted in the aftermath of its 2010 victory, but its roster is still the envy of most teams, and the Packers aren't going away any time soon. Green Bay has missed the playoffs just once in the past six seasons, and its window will stay open as long as quarterback Aaron Rodgers stays upright.
Mister Pack

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Can thr front office help stop the run?
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Thing is the Draft is designed for the bad teams to get better and the cap is designed for the good teams to lose players to the weaker teams ( assuming teams control the cap correctly) SO,its amazing when ANY team can make the playoffs more then 3 or 4 years straight and if a team cant make the playoffs within 4 years or so,they are being run irresponsibility.( there are exceptions,like a new GM team needing a few years to correct the prior GM team from overpaying several players ect but for the most part)
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Mister Pack wrote:
Can thr front office help stop the run?
Yes
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Brandon Saine was released,so thats 1 less RB on the roster....

2 were in the woods walking,,one said to the other,what is a SuperBowl?
the other one said,I dont know,we are Bears!
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

eric wrote:
Brandon Saine was released,so thats 1 less RB on the roster....
2 were in the woods walking,,one said to the other,what is a SuperBowl?
the other one said,I dont know,we are Bears!
He was waived later in the day on the same day Benson came for a visit.
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

.. so does this mean the Packers take Lacy rd 1 ? Benson a smoke screen?
normallylikeyell ow

Gallitzin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

No... It doesn't mean they're taking a first round back. Saine didn't have a carry last season. Unfortunately for him, it means they didn't miss him. D.J. Smith's release might have slightly more meaning--we need a LB special-teamer. I have a novel thought below.
We don't know what the $ is on Benson. If Benson is cheap, you ask yourself: can I draft a better player at the same price? Maybe, maybe not. I think they'll draft a back later unless they like someone like Franklin--but I doubt he'll last to 52. A guy like Michael Ford might be a good late pick. He needs coaching (blocking etc.), but already plays special teams, and has good measurables. Probably should have stayed in school. But it's your gain,'coz it makes him a 6-7th rounder instead of a 2-3 next year.
Vikings fans are certainly getting brave after making the playoffs against that last place schedule. You got road games at Giants, Dallas, Ravens and Seahawks on top the division and games against Pittsburgh & Carolina.
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

WIth Bishop being back,resigned Jones,resigned Francois and DJ Smith wont be ready for camp,so hes out,I think TT resigns him later on when hes healed unless someone else signs him
I think Benson would be an ok signing for cheap.Save us from having to draft a back,If we can get what we want early,then draft a back late.
I still say whats obvious ( yes,im being captain obvious) build up both lines and work their way out.
Got to protect Rodgers but need to run as well.SO Bulaga may fit it both,great pass blocker ( protect AR) sucks at run blocking ( Barclay or a draft pick can do it) BUT TT very well may draft Watson ( LT im assuming) SO Bulaga is back at RT which is great except he sucks at run blocking.I still wonder about Sherrod.Grusome injury,had a year and a half to this point to heal after surgery ( obviously,DJ Smith was cut,he wont be ready for camp after his ACL, Saine got cut as well as hes not ready and wont be,SO TT isnt afraid to cut someone loose and Sherrod is still there) also,we need a roster spot SO, if Saine is gone ( he is) that opens a spot for Benson,so i wonder if thats the idea or coincidence as roster spots dont mean much right now.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

GBPmies wrote:
Damn straight Jeremy, I liked you post.
Too bad viking fans and bears fans will never allow themselves to understand or believe your, ericís, or my points. If they agreed with them then they would have to admit Packers success and the likelihood it will continue. It makes them sleep better at night to think, wish, hope, and pray that the Packers are going to fall apart and their teams MIGHT have a shot at going to the playoffs regularly.
Ya you would like it.How about the 409 yards rushing you gave up in 2 games to the Vikings or the 181 yards to Kapernick all after drafting all defense in 2012.What happened to Alex Green that you drafted in the third round that you need a running back still.Or the 51 sacks that you gave up.Or Rodgers yards per attempt falling to 7.8 yards the lowest since Rodgers first full season.Or 31st in pass protection.What happened to Thompsons master draftpicks.?
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Yea, what happened to his master picks? Like Rodgers,Mathews Cobb,Nelson,Jones, Shields,Hayward,Sitton,Lang,Ha rris ect..Yea, what happened,Well, 4 straight playoff appearences ( under Rogers) 2 straight div. titles,and a SB championship.
After playing well,then stinking up the joint and stinking up the joint again,Minn has had upper picks ect and still havent caught the Packers....What? GB and they terrible defense beat Minn 2 of 3 last year?
Did it w/o a hand full of the defensive players Ted drafted and STILL beat Minn in the playoffs.Sorry son,your getting more sad as we go along.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

eric wrote:
Yea, what happened to his master picks? Like Rodgers,Mathews Cobb,Nelson,Jones, Shields,Hayward,Sitton,Lang,Ha rris ect..Yea, what happened,Well, 4 straight playoff appearences ( under Rogers) 2 straight div. titles,and a SB championship.
After playing well,then stinking up the joint and stinking up the joint again,Minn has had upper picks ect and still havent caught the Packers....What? GB and they terrible defense beat Minn 2 of 3 last year?
Did it w/o a hand full of the defensive players Ted drafted and STILL beat Minn in the playoffs.Sorry son,your getting more sad as we go along.
Eric,You keep going into the past.I said of lately not in 2012 in the strike shortened season and many teams had new coaches and the Packers won the superbowl.What I said is its been decline since then.You squeaked in last year.We had one low round pick last year and then we traded back into the first.Youre only three picks behind us this year and the other pick is because we traded Harvin.You could trade somebody too if you wanted to.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

In the previous I meant 2010
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Bleeds Purple wrote:
<quoted text>Eric,You keep going into the past.I said of lately not in 2012 in the strike shortened season and many teams had new coaches and the Packers won the superbowl.What I said is its been decline since then.You squeaked in last year.We had one low round pick last year and then we traded back into the first.Youre only three picks behind us this year and the other pick is because we traded Harvin.You could trade somebody too if you wanted to.
You lost Harvin and gained Jennings to thats a net lose or a even at best.
Im pretty sure trades back early or trades up mid end.Decline since when 10-6 SB in 2010.......15-1 in 2011,,,,12-4 or 11-5 in 2012,so yea,how many teams go back to back 15-1? NE was undefeated going into a SB and Lost, teams have gone 15 and 1 and not won a SB..Bottom line is GB under TT has done much more then anyone else in the NFC north..GB also won what 10 in 09 and a WC So the Packers have been consitently 10 wins or more the past 4 seasons ( AR first year as a starter they won 6 lost 6 games by less then a TD in 08,,,) WC in 09, SB in 10,15 wins in 11 11 of 12 last year,So again,where is your decline?
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesnít matter what happened 3 yrs ago?
"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it"
- Churchill
The Packers window has once again slammed shut on its fingers
Just like The Favre led Pack finally gave John Ekway his first SB trophy
normallylikeyell ow

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

I like Captain Obvious's approach, eric. Sometimes that's just common sense. Wouldn't mind taking a RB and WR somewhere later on...
GBPmies

Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Packers window has once again slammed shut on its fingers
Just like The Favre led Pack finally gave John Ekway his first SB trophy
What? Did you just right- the Packers window just slammed shut on the Packers window's fingers? The Packers window has fingers?

Odd, confusing, and deep... thank you LBF

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Green Bay Packers Forum right now

Search the Green Bay Packers Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Inside Slant: Packers cashing in at Lambeau 31 min Spielman 7
Breer: 'Better To Be Early Than Late' Finding T... 56 min Flatulence Fred 5
contract extension 16 hr eric 1
Green Bay Packers: Micah Hyde has edge at safety Tue GBPfan 3
Green Bay Packers: Randall Cobb says 'I don't b... Tue Dickholes in Cheese 4
Jordy signed a contract extension. Tue GBPfan 13
Finley coming back? 7-25 Jul 28 GBPfan 4
•••
•••