Mike McCarthy: He should be Coach of the Year

Jan 27, 2014 Full story: LombardiAve 25

We are in full swing of awards season and we're hoping Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy is paying attention because I feel he should be at least nominated, if not selected to be the NFL's Coach of the Year.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#1 Jan 28, 2014
for finding out how pathetic a roster he built is without rodgers? for having the back-up qb's he did? on going o-fer november? wow. I would think this year evidences the pack might be better served with an injection of new ideas.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 28, 2014
This is laughable.In no way should Mccarthy even be considered this year.Way to many better teams this year.
eric

Monroe, WI

#3 Jan 28, 2014
Or taking a team with 5 missing starters on Defense and taking SF to the final gun. Going into Chicago and beating the Bears with the season on the line.I dont particularly think he should get coach of the year but he did a real nice job..
Dont forget..Not only did GB lose the Best qb in the game,,they lost their best TE for over half the season,best WR for 10 games, lost one of the better other WR for a handful of games..Played with a rookie LT after losing their starting LT for the season,ON TOP of losing 5 of their best Defensive players,,3 for mulitple games and the other 2 on possesion 1 in the playoffs,Game planning on the fly during the game,,he did a real nice job
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Jan 28, 2014
My choice for Coach of the Year would be Andy Reid. The turnaround in K.C. was nothing less than amazing.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#5 Jan 28, 2014
i pickec u guys to beat san fran. with rodgers u guys are a 10 to 13 win team, and u lost at home in the ultimate cold weather home field advantage game. i was shocked u lost. san fran doesn't even have a decent qb. kaep is a one or two read then run guy. no excuse for u losing, imo. just lack of confidence, like when the bears play u. cutler is 0-fer life, isn't he? you know mccarthy should have had the lads beat a california team in green bay.
===
yeah, hard not to pick Reid.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

#6 Jan 30, 2014
eric wrote:
Or taking a team with 5 missing starters on Defense and taking SF to the final gun. Going into Chicago and beating the Bears with the season on the line.I dont particularly think he should get coach of the year but he did a real nice job..
Dont forget..Not only did GB lose the Best qb in the game,,they lost their best TE for over half the season,best WR for 10 games, lost one of the better other WR for a handful of games..Played with a rookie LT after losing their starting LT for the season,ON TOP of losing 5 of their best Defensive players,,3 for mulitple games and the other 2 on possesion 1 in the playoffs,Game planning on the fly during the game,,he did a real nice job
Sorry to disagree Eric, but Aaron is not the best QB in the league, top 5 yes, but not #1.
eric

Monroe, WI

#7 Jan 30, 2014
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to disagree Eric, but Aaron is not the best QB in the league, top 5 yes, but not #1.
Its pretty hard to argue against it though.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#8 Jan 31, 2014
eric wrote:
<quoted text> Its pretty hard to argue against it though.
If you look at numbers, it's very easy to argue against it.
Does he mean more to the Packers than Brady to the Pats? Manning to the Broncos? Brees to the Saints?
McCarthy won't be coach of the year, and Aaron won't be league MVP for very good reasons.
The GB Homer Report

Miami, FL

#9 Jan 31, 2014
"Mike McCarthy: He should be Coach of the Year"

...BELCH
eric

Monroe, WI

#10 Jan 31, 2014
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does he mean more to the Packers than Brady to the Pats? Manning to the Broncos? Brees to the Saints?
McCarthy won't be coach of the year, and Aaron won't be league MVP for very good reasons.
Well, when Rodgers missed 7 games injured what was GB record? What was GB record When Rodgers played,that tell the story..
NO had Brees last year and they sucked,,The NE Pats havent won shit since they got caught in spy gate illegally filming teams ( an average QB can have an above Average season if he knew what was coming,well, Brady is better then average but hes not as good as Rodgers) Manning is your only legit argument .. I never stated either should be coach or MVP,,not do i think,but, McCarthy did do a hell of a job considering what they went through and Rodgers proved his worth while he was gone.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#11 Jan 31, 2014
Andy Reid: coach of the year

Shut down thread now
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Feb 1, 2014
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree. Neither one did anything this season worthy of those honors. Unfortunately though, I do think Rodgers probably is as important to the Packers as those other QBs are to their teams. I don't consider that a good thing. Russell Wilson would never be considered as "important" as those other QBs and he very well may be the SB winning QB precisely because the Seahawks don't need him to be so important.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#13 Feb 3, 2014
Let's hear it for the Super Bowl once again proving that football is the ultimate TEAM sport and that a football team is NOT its' QB. The best TEAM wins the NFL Championship, not the best QB. No quarterback has ever won a game. And no quarterback will ever win a game.
Mike McFarty

Miami, FL

#14 Feb 3, 2014
Mike Sherman is available (yet again...that's what happens when you keep getting fired). How can the Pack pass him up?

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#15 Feb 4, 2014
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree. Neither one did anything this season worthy of those honors. Unfortunately though, I do think Rodgers probably is as important to the Packers as those other QBs are to their teams. I don't consider that a good thing. Russell Wilson would never be considered as "important" as those other QBs and he very well may be the SB winning QB precisely because the Seahawks don't need him to be so important.
I do agree, I'm not into running Rodgers or McCarthy into the ground for no reason, and it's not a slight to voice my opinion. They are both very good, to not admit that would be a disservice, but to proclaim them to be the best is fodder for discussion.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Feb 4, 2014
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree, I'm not into running Rodgers or McCarthy into the ground for no reason, and it's not a slight to voice my opinion. They are both very good, to not admit that would be a disservice, but to proclaim them to be the best is fodder for discussion.
Both are very good. But there is no way either was the best at their job this season. MVP and Coach of the Year awards are not for past accomplishments, potential, or overall talent. Those awards require an exceptional season better than any other person in the league. There is no shame in not being THE best player or coach. Plenty of great players and coaches don't receive those awards. BTW I still believe Reid deserved the award for Coach of the Year. My guess is that the AP voters were not impressed with a team winning games in the AFC versus the NFC. Maybe they have a point. The NFC was much better this season.
GBPmies

Finland

#17 Feb 4, 2014
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
A good discussion about QBs but is it really even necessary? Rodgers is DAMN good!

Really that is all that matters. He is really really damn good.

Who is the best QB? A matter of opinion I think. I don’t know really know the answer or care for the question. Brees, Manning, Brady, or Rodgers…. There are only a few great QBs right now IMO.

Is Rodgers #1? Maybe not, Maybe he is. All I know he is good! Damn good, good like Brady, Manning, and Brees have been. Is he better than them, or in the middle, or in the end?... Will he be better than them?… maybe… maybe not….. Is he in their kind of "elite company"? I think so. Hard to say he is not.

IMO Rodgers is an elite QB, the youngest of the bunch of elite QBs right now. He is signed long term so I believe it gives the Pack a good shot at winning another Championship during his time in Green Bay. Obviously it does not guarantee it... I have so unfortunatly seen!

Btw
You said Top 5 for Rodgers...

In the Top 5 I have Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Who else do you have in that type of company? I guess I only have a TOP 4..... and then the rest.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

#18 Feb 4, 2014
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
A good discussion about QBs but is it really even necessary? Rodgers is DAMN good!
Really that is all that matters. He is really really damn good.
Who is the best QB? A matter of opinion I think. I don’t know really know the answer or care for the question. Brees, Manning, Brady, or Rodgers…. There are only a few great QBs right now IMO.
Is Rodgers #1? Maybe not, Maybe he is. All I know he is good! Damn good, good like Brady, Manning, and Brees have been. Is he better than them, or in the middle, or in the end?... Will he be better than them?… maybe… maybe not….. Is he in their kind of "elite company"? I think so. Hard to say he is not.
IMO Rodgers is an elite QB, the youngest of the bunch of elite QBs right now. He is signed long term so I believe it gives the Pack a good shot at winning another Championship during his time in Green Bay. Obviously it does not guarantee it... I have so unfortunatly seen!
Btw
You said Top 5 for Rodgers...
In the Top 5 I have Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Who else do you have in that type of company? I guess I only have a TOP 4..... and then the rest.
Rivers had a higher completion percentage and QB rating than Rodgers in 2013. Nick Foles was even better with a whopping 119 QB rating.
My original comment was directed at Eric, as he proclaimed Rodgers to be the best QB, and that McCarthy should be in the running for Coach of the Year Honors.

Well, truth be told, Peyton Manning was MVP with 49 votes, with Brady garnering the only other vote. As far as coaches go, Rivera beat out Reid (now with the Chiefs), Pete Carroll (Seahawks) and Chip Kelly (Eagles) for the award.
Not a mention of either of Eric' picks.
Ah, the faint scent of homerism.
Tell me you wouldn't argue my assertion that Patterson should have been Rookie of the year?
That proclamation would be tested, and rightfully so.
eric

Monroe, WI

#19 Feb 5, 2014
Let me correct something 40..I did not state McCarthy should be COTY. I said he did a hell of a job ( read entry 3 and entry 10_) for all the injuries ect but i dont ness. think he should get coach of the year.. YES, i do think Rodgers is the best qb in the game today,its my opinion and i stand behind it 100%.If one wants to argue the point,thats great,it makes conversation and discussion ( as long as its peaceful and not a name calling fest which does no on any good).
eric

Monroe, WI

#20 Feb 5, 2014
re reading your comment 40..McCarthy should be in the running for COTY.
I didnt ness mean he should have won it,i mearly stated he did a hell of a job.
Should he have been a thought..Yea i do think he should be given credit for a hell of a job and a bit of consideration but no coach who goes 8-7-1 will win any thing but the NFC North title ( by default)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Green Bay Packers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Vikings Can Salvage Rest of Season 9 hr GBPfan 1
Jordy Nelson deserving of his SI cover shot Wed Dr Flatus 3
Packers fight hard in 24-21 victory over Vikings Wed Icle 3
Rodgers Trolls Vikes, Drinks a Grape Crush at P... Nov 24 Laughing Bear Fan 1
For Vikings WR Johnson, there's always room for... Nov 21 James 3
Green Bay Packers: Is Aaron Rodgers focusing to... Nov 18 Ted 14
Packers vs eagles Nov 18 GBPmies 10

Green Bay Packers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE