Minnesota Vikings 2006 Draft Preview

Minnesota Vikings 2006 Draft Preview

There are 163 comments on the WHP-TV Harrisburg story from Apr 12, 2006, titled Minnesota Vikings 2006 Draft Preview. In it, WHP-TV Harrisburg reports that:

The trade of Daunte Culpepper to Miami gives the Vikings a shaky situation at quarterback, with 38-year-old Brad Johnson, career backup J.T. O'Sullivan, and Lions and Eagles washout Mike McMahon the only ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHP-TV Harrisburg.

Cdg

Cedar Rapids, IA

#21 Apr 14, 2006
Our secondary won't be a problem if we can get to the QB quickly unlike we've done the past couple years. Erasmus James was rockin and a rollin at the end of last year gettin to the QBs. That's why I think we need a stellar LB core that's fast and smart. Ones that can blitz or fake blitz and drop back into coverage. I say get Greenway he'll do great.(Just pray he's still there...maybe we should trade up a little and make sure)
Tank Williams can play close to the line or wherever needed (I hear he hits hard). I don't think any team's gonna run on us. As for QB take the best of the second round that can learn West Coast O..or exposed to it and let Johnson show him how it's done.
bytheblood

Cornelius, NC

#22 Apr 14, 2006
I just want to say one thing! Favre either you do or you don't???? Someone has a control issue?
childress

Fort Wayne, IN

#23 Apr 15, 2006
5 picks within the first 95 players taken=out to top 4 players at every position. i'm happy and stay put.we should be able to improve an already good team.
harry

France

#24 Apr 15, 2006
farside wrote:
I just read in the Star Tribune, where as Zygi Wilf is quoted as saying he doesn't forsee any trading done with the Vikings 5 picks on the first day. He doesn't completely rule out say a blockbuster trade offer or such by another team. He is most content with the number of picks the Vikes have on day one. One has to admit it probably makes the most sense.
True.....but Zigi also gave Tice the dreaded "vote of confidence" and fired him while the stadium was still emptying out.
Zigi has something up his sleeve, and its not a big draft trade, but its not Johnson starting either.
farside

Miles City, MT

#25 Apr 16, 2006
Zigi definately makes things interesting doesn't he
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Apr 16, 2006
harry wrote:
<quoted text>
True.....but Zigi also gave Tice the dreaded "vote of confidence" and fired him while the stadium was still emptying out.
Zigi has something up his sleeve, and its not a big draft trade, but its not Johnson starting either.
What do you think he is up to?
farside

Miles City, MT

#27 Apr 16, 2006
he is a very creative and successful buisness man, so you know he has his shit together. Look how he is working the Stadium issue. So far, i would just say, be prepared for anything, beneficial to the Vikings. We know he isn't afraid to spend. And he lets Childress call the shots. So I think the focuss is on Childress, and i don't know his train of thought
Rick

Great Falls, MT

#28 Apr 16, 2006
Rick wrote:
I agree that McMahon is not a long term answer but my feeling is that we are going to evolve in a run first sort of offense with pass plays developing off of success running. My point is that McMahon should be able to hand the ball to a running back. If he can't do that then we are in deep doodoo if Johnson goes down.
If McMahon has to take over everything that was ever planned will go to hell. I don't think he knows how to had the ball off. I watched him last year and he would get you really interested then either fumble, get intercepted or sacked. Depressing thought.
farside

Miles City, MT

#29 Apr 16, 2006
Lest we forget, Johnson is not hurt, yet. Plus he survived last years fiasco, and our line is 100% better this time around. Definately a QB in the 2nd rd. Who is the better choice, Whitehurst, Croyle,...etc.
harry

France

#30 Apr 16, 2006
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>

Big name QB coming soon, not from this draft,but not anyone we expect. We can expect someone right-handed, after spending so much on the left side of the line.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#31 Apr 16, 2006
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
If McMahon has to take over everything that was ever planned will go to hell. I don't think he knows how to had the ball off. I watched him last year and he would get you really interested then either fumble, get intercepted or sacked. Depressing thought.
Sounds like he apprenticed under Dullpecker
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#32 Apr 16, 2006
harry wrote:
<quoted text>

Big name QB coming soon, not from this draft,but not anyone we expect. We can expect someone right-handed, after spending so much on the left side of the line.
Sounds interesting but the only big name QB's that I can think of out there that could possibly be gotten are McNair and Favre unless he is thinking of bringing back Jeff George (Snicker)
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#33 Apr 16, 2006
And I don't think we need those guys anyhow.
farside

Miles City, MT

#34 Apr 16, 2006
NcNair is not an improvement over Johnson. And with the 'headgames' Favre is playing, he can just stay in Green Bay or retire like most intelligent atheletes would do when they come to the end of the road
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#35 Apr 16, 2006
farside wrote:
NcNair is not an improvement over Johnson. And with the 'headgames' Favre is playing, he can just stay in Green Bay or retire like most intelligent atheletes would do when they come to the end of the road
I just read today that the Vikes are still thinking about trading their first round pick for Schaub. I hope they don't. He was a third round pick a couple of years ago and he is not a starter. It doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe trade the second round third round extra picks they got for Culpepper and Burleson but not a first.
Slim

Saint Paul, MN

#36 Apr 17, 2006
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>

I just read today that the Vikes are still thinking about trading their first round pick for Schaub. I hope they don't. He was a third round pick a couple of years ago and he is not a starter. It doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe trade the second round third round extra picks they got for Culpepper and Burleson but not a first.
I'm guessing they will trade the first round pick to Atlanta for Schaub if the player(s) the Vikings want are gone off the board by the time they pick. Which does make sense. If by the time they pick all the players they wanted in the first round are gone, they wouldn't want to "waste" a first round pick (not to metion first round money) on a player they feel isn't worth it. They then trade the pick to Atlanta for Schaub (who, I agree, might not be worth a first round pick, but might be, in the Vikings eyes, a safer pick) and the money they save from first round signing bonuses gets used on the four remaining picks they have on the first day. They add a player at a position of need and use the rest of the picks to add LBs & depth at CBs.

You can argue either way about trading for Schaub, but this scenario does make sense...to me anyway.
Rick

Louisville, KY

#37 Apr 17, 2006
Actually,the way you have rationalized the scenario, it makes sense to me also.
Slim

Saint Paul, MN

#38 Apr 17, 2006
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>

You can't believe anything you hear this time of year. Coaches, GM's, owners, etc., they are not going to tip their hand as to what they plan on doing on draft day. I personally think that the draft is overrated. In the first round there is probably only 7-10 "impact players" anyway. I guess that's why I don't care if the Vikings trade away their low first round picks. I wouldn't want them to trade a top ten pick (unless it's a Hershel Walker like deal in favor of the Vikings) but after the top ten, if you can pick up extra second & third rounders for your first round, I say go for it.
joey

Denver, CO

#39 Apr 17, 2006
no way, the draft is the way to build the team. Its very important and not overrated. its a place to get good talent at a very cheap price. There may be only 7-10 "impact players" but they could be guys that are the 15th,20th or 25th pick. The Vikings would be idiots to trade their 1st round choice. Schaub is OK but hasn't played a whole lot.
Slim

Saint Paul, MN

#40 Apr 17, 2006
joey wrote:
no way, the draft is the way to build the team. Its very important and not overrated. its a place to get good talent at a very cheap price. There may be only 7-10 "impact players" but they could be guys that are the 15th,20th or 25th pick. The Vikings would be idiots to trade their 1st round choice. Schaub is OK but hasn't played a whole lot.
Mostly agree with you on building through the draft. I think you also have to mix in free agency & trades to be successful. My point is though, that low first round draft picks are good for trades, as long as you are picking up a proven player in a position of need. Atlanta got a proven pass rusher for mid first round pick this year. As for Schaub, I wrote what I thought about trading for him earlier in this forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Lions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lions reaction to trumps comments Sun Lindsay Mcdaniel 1
detroit lines... this is what i think of you gu... Sep 10 thomas lol 1
News Lions condemn 'any use' of logo at Charlottesvi... Aug '17 AnyPharts 2
News Los Angeles Rams sign veteran quarterback Dan O... Jul '17 RamsPharts 6
News Nate Burleson replacing Bart Scott on 'NFL Today' May '17 Scott phartz 4
News The good, bad and weird of 2013 NFL season (Dec '13) Feb '17 Big Guy Phart 9
News Airport security mix-up sends NFL player to Uta... (Mar '15) Feb '17 Oh That Phart 4
More from around the web