Minnesota Vikings 2006 Draft Preview

The trade of Daunte Culpepper to Miami gives the Vikings a shaky situation at quarterback, with 38-year-old Brad Johnson, career backup J.T. O'Sullivan, and Lions and Eagles washout Mike McMahon the only ... Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Doug Dowdle

AOL

#1 Apr 12, 2006
Shaky situation? I don't see it that way, Brad is a veteran that understands the game well, he knows his limitations and how to execute the best of his abilities.
Drafting or trading for a younger qb to be an understudy would serve the Vikes well, they can learn a ton from Brad.
farside

Miles City, MT

#2 Apr 12, 2006
Smart talk Doug, just hope they don't sell the farm for an 'Almost Can't Miss' QB. Thus the rest of the team suffers for lack of draft picks.
KPBville

United States

#3 Apr 12, 2006
Do you think the Vikings would trade down 4 or 5 spots to pick up another 2nd or 3rd round draft choice if one of their linebackers isn't available? Sounds like the Rams might take Greenway with the 10th pick and the Dolphins my nab Sims if he's still there before the Vikings.
farside

Miles City, MT

#4 Apr 12, 2006
That my friend is an interesting observation, may have to think on that one.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Apr 13, 2006
The Vikes picked up a second for Culpepper and a third for Burleson plus the picks they already had. I wonder how far they could trade up for those two picks without having to lose their first, second and third normal picks.

There has been talk of Atlanta wanting a first round pick for Shaub but I hope the Vikes don't go for it. Other teams were intersted but didn't think he was worth a fix. Everybody can't be wrong. Shaub was a third round pick and although has potential, we still don't know much about him.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 13, 2006
I just reread my own posting which I should have done before posting it! HaHa! Mispelling! Shame on me!

"but didn't think he was worth a fix" should have read didn't think he was worth a first.

Sorry
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 13, 2006
I think that the biggest needs for the Vikes are safety/cornerback. We have good starters but nobody to back them up if anyone goes down and the jury is still out on Smoot. We have no depth here.

Offensive tackle. Unless Rosenthal shapes up and despite the fact that the left side of our line is good the right is still a huge question.

QB for the future is still a high priority. Everybody is worried about McMahon as a backup. I think if we can get our running game improved because of the addition of Hutch and the return of Birk, then if McMahon does have to get in the game, he can hand off and do play action passing which he should be OK.

Linebacker is definately a need. No special comments here.

Finally there is and has been a need for a few prospects that are going to be standout special teams players. Our special teams have suffered since Joey Browner played.
JIM

Troy, NY

#8 Apr 13, 2006
Trading up for unproven QB with 5 draft picks anyone remember Herchel Walker!
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 13, 2006
JIM wrote:
Trading up for unproven QB with 5 draft picks anyone remember Herchel Walker!
Who suggested that? I suggested that we could use the two picks we got for Culpepper and Burleson to move up a bit in the draft but if you read my post above, I think we need a premier cornerback/safety prospect.
joey

Denver, CO

#10 Apr 13, 2006
Rick, thats cool about the Joey Browner reference. I think the Vikings are in a good position in the draft. I don't think they should move up unless its only a couple spots because its usually too costly. Trading a down a couple spots may be a good idea if they can get some more draft picks.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Apr 13, 2006
joey wrote:
Rick, thats cool about the Joey Browner reference. I think the Vikings are in a good position in the draft. I don't think they should move up unless its only a couple spots because its usually too costly. Trading a down a couple spots may be a good idea if they can get some more draft picks.
With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, I couldn't agree with you more that we are in good shape. This team seems to have made some really good moves in free agency and i expect that they will use the draft picks widely.

I still think that the cornerback/safety is our biggest need. Smoot hasn't proven anything to me except he has an exceptional big mouth and opinion of himself.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 13, 2006
Here I go with the spelling. It is not widely but wisely.
JIM

Troy, NY

#13 Apr 14, 2006
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>

Who suggested that? I suggested that we could use the two picks we got for Culpepper and Burleson to move up a bit in the draft but if you read my post above, I think we need a pr emier cornerback/safety prospect.
I agree with you Rick i was not responding to your post cb/safety and QB needed bad but at what price do we pay for them
Rick

Plymouth, MN

#14 Apr 14, 2006
JIM wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you Rick i was not responding to your post cb/safety and QB needed bad but at what price do we pay for them
I read in the local paper this morning that the Vikes are so satisfied with the position and number of picks that they will not be trying to trade up. I really have confidence that they will get some good prospects.
Progman4all

Chesterfield, MO

#15 Apr 14, 2006
Rick wrote:
I think that the biggest needs for the Vikes are safety/cornerback. We have good starters but nobody to back them up if anyone goes down and the jury is still out on Smoot. We have no depth here.

Offensive tackle. Unless Rosenthal shapes up and despite the fact that the left side of our line is good the right is still a huge question.

QB for the future is still a high priority. Everybody is worried about McMahon as a backup. I think if we can get our running game improved because of the addition of Hutch and the return of Birk, then if McMahon does have to get in the game, he can hand off and do play action passing which he should be OK.

Finally there is and has been a need for a few prospects that are going to be standout special teams players. Our special teams have suffered since Joey Browner played.
You HAVE to get someone other than McMahon. He's terrible. The awful numbers he put up in Philly actually improved his career stats...

I seriously doubt Greenway is taken before Sims. That's probably wishful thinking.
Rick

Plymouth, MN

#16 Apr 14, 2006
I agree that McMahon is not a long term answer but my feeling is that we are going to evolve in a run first sort of offense with pass plays developing off of success running. My point is that McMahon should be able to hand the ball to a running back. If he can't do that then we are in deep doodoo if Johnson goes down.
Slim

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Apr 14, 2006
Rick wrote:

There biggest need is at linebacker. Although depth in the secondary is needed, I think the Vikes need starting linebacker(s), a young QB then secondary help. Remember the Vikings have Smoot, Winfield, Sharper & Tank Willimas starting, with Offord, Fox, Gallishaw, Brown & Edwards for depth.
Slim

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Apr 14, 2006
Rick wrote:
I agree that McMahon is not a long term answer but my feeling is that we are going to evolve in a run first sort of offense with pass plays developing off of success running. My point is that McMahon should be able to hand the ball to a running back. If he can't do that then we are in deep doodoo if Johnson goes down.
I hope the Vikings go with a run first attitude but Childress came from an offense that threw the ball a lot more than they ran the ball. I realize Andy Reid was calling the plays but I'm sure Childress had a say in it.
Rick

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Apr 14, 2006
With McKinney, Hutchinson, and Birk on the left side and when they use a tight end on that side and a blocking fullback like Tony Richardson, they should be able to blow open running lanes that gain big yards. I am really excited about the potential that we can really grind it out on the ground. If we can grind out positive yards and control the ball, we should have the other teams defense so afraid of our running game that should open up Troy Williamson and Koren Robinson streaking down the field and Marcus Robinson, wide open on the shorter crossing routes. I haven't even mention Jerome Wiggins yet.

If this type of offense becomes reality, then Johnson and McMahon should be able to drive this team.

I know everybody is down on McMahon but in Detroit he suffered from inconsistant offensive play and coming in cold to replace Joey Harrington when he played poorly. Hardly the best environment to improve your own play when your running for your life. The same thing in Philly, when McNabb who takes all of the snaps in practice goes down, he has to go in cold and perform to the level of a McNabb?? I am not convinced he is as bad as he is portrayed to be. He has just had to play in bad situations.
farside

Miles City, MT

#20 Apr 14, 2006
I just read in the Star Tribune, where as Zygi Wilf is quoted as saying he doesn't forsee any trading done with the Vikings 5 picks on the first day. He doesn't completely rule out say a blockbuster trade offer or such by another team. He is most content with the number of picks the Vikes have on day one. One has to admit it probably makes the most sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Detroit Lions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2014 NFL mock draft: Vikings select Teddy Bridg... (Apr '14) 10 hr The Fart Father 15
NFL considers discipline for Raiola incident Dec 23 Runny Diarrhea 2
Trojans in the NFL: Reggie Bush contributes in ... Dec 22 Patriots Club Chub 2
From Now on, Detroit Lions' Center Dominic Raio... (Oct '13) Dec 22 Raiola Boner Rants 3
Buffalo Bills send Detroit Lions pizza, wings f... Dec 17 Pizzarrhea 3
Lions boost playoff hopes with mauling of Bears Nov 27 W Fontes 1
NFL Week 7 winners and losers Oct '14 Flatulence Fred 3
More from around the web