The Future of Jay Cutler Rests On His...

The Future of Jay Cutler Rests On His Showdown with Green Bay Packers

There are 42 comments on the NFLMocks story from Dec 24, 2013, titled The Future of Jay Cutler Rests On His Showdown with Green Bay Packers. In it, NFLMocks reports that:

Dec 22, 2013; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler calls out instructions during the second quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NFLMocks.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Laughing Bear Fan

Denver, CO

#1 Dec 26, 2013
The future of Jay Cutler was on full display last Sunday night in Philly
GBPmies

Finland

#2 Dec 26, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
The future of Jay Cutler was on full display last Sunday night in Philly
If cuntler canít have at least an OK day vs the weak Packers defense without Matthews dry humping him all day and with those giant WRs he has.... his future should be in MN.
His Oline is looking WAY better, Trestman has done great offensivly, his WRs are very good, he has a good TE, has a GREAT RB who can also catch. Emery has done a good job changing that offesne personel around.... cuntler has no excuses now.

I would try and get the ball to Forte early and often both run and pass. I bet they can get Forte matched up on Hawk in many passing situations = YIKES for GB. GB should keep some guys deep ready for all those over the middle throws cuntler likes to airmail over the top of his WRs.

IF cuntler wants a big contract the team should win because of him... not inspite of him.
eric

Verona, WI

#3 Dec 26, 2013
Not to mention..Not only Mathews is out,,Jolly is out as well ( there goes the pass rush) Mike Neal is questionable,so, another LB almost gone.
Cutler has no excuse not to have a huge day..Chicago's problem is theres a question with Chicago ( as shitty defense as GB) stopping Rodgers.Chicago's upper hand is jumping out early.A Cutler playing well can take advantage of a Rodgers who is rusty and may need a quarter plus to get some rust off and if CHicago is even of Behind GB when Rodgers gets into it,Chicago is done.If Chicago can get ahead before Rodgers gets into the groove type thing,We should have a game!
I agree with you.If Cutler chokes,,hes screwed!( although i heard McGown may retire after this year,to be with his family,raise his kids ect) and i dont think Chicago would go for drafting a qb in the upper rounds.play him and sort of rebuild for season or 2,SO.they may not have much choice other then Franchise Cutler for a season,,draft a qb,,maybe sign Cutler long term,but, Chicago NEEDS 2 new safeties,at least 2 LB a DE and a DT ( straight from the boys on Chicago radio not my words) SO thats a bit of cap space and really not a whole lot of draft picks for a qb ( especially a high pick for a qb).( Sounds like GB defense doesnt it?)
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#4 Dec 27, 2013
Well they are kind of in a bind here. To me, McGown was saying "I won the job" in a passive-aggressive way with the retirement talk. Remember they've got two outstanding WRs. If they draft a QB it's going to be mid first round, and who fits what they want to do better than Cutler? Teddy Bridgewater? Blake Bortles? Derek Carr? Saves $ but does it add up to wins? I'd keep one of them while the kid learns. And if I was their GM, my first pick would be middle defense--best player DT, MLB, S.
Packer hacker

Lake In The Hills, IL

#5 Dec 27, 2013
eric wrote:
Not to mention..Not only Mathews is out,,Jolly is out as well ( there goes the pass rush) Mike Neal is questionable,so, another LB almost gone.
Cutler has no excuse not to have a huge day..Chicago's problem is theres a question with Chicago ( as shitty defense as GB) stopping Rodgers.Chicago's upper hand is jumping out early.A Cutler playing well can take advantage of a Rodgers who is rusty and may need a quarter plus to get some rust off and if CHicago is even of Behind GB when Rodgers gets into it,Chicago is done.If Chicago can get ahead before Rodgers gets into the groove type thing,We should have a game!
I agree with you.If Cutler chokes,,hes screwed!( although i heard McGown may retire after this year,to be with his family,raise his kids ect) and i dont think Chicago would go for drafting a qb in the upper rounds.play him and sort of rebuild for season or 2,SO.they may not have much choice other then Franchise Cutler for a season,,draft a qb,,maybe sign Cutler long term,but, Chicago NEEDS 2 new safeties,at least 2 LB a DE and a DT ( straight from the boys on Chicago radio not my words) SO thats a bit of cap space and really not a whole lot of draft picks for a qb ( especially a high pick for a qb).( Sounds like GB defense doesnt it?)
Season finale game will not decide jay cutlers future with the bears. Any drama queen that believes that is ... Just a drama queen. Yawn
eric

Verona, WI

#6 Dec 27, 2013
I dont know P/H,, lots of folks on your channel in Chicago seems to think that as well. Maybe there is something to it.
eric

Verona, WI

#7 Dec 27, 2013
normallylikeyellow wrote:
Well they are kind of in a bind here. To me, McGown was saying "I won the job" in a passive-aggressive way with the retirement talk. Remember they've got two outstanding WRs. If they draft a QB it's going to be mid first round, and who fits what they want to do better than Cutler? Teddy Bridgewater? Blake Bortles? Derek Carr? Saves $ but does it add up to wins? I'd keep one of them while the kid learns. And if I was their GM, my first pick would be middle defense--best player DT, MLB, S.
IF they draft a qb in the mid rounds and develop for a season and give Cutler the franchise tag and keep him for 14 it would work but Cutler would be making the average of the top 5 qbs,,and Cutler is not worth nearly the average of the top 5 qbs but Cutler is playing with a 16M cap right now,so how much would his cap number rise nad really is Teddy Bridgewater and others be there when the Bears pick in the mid to late 20s or later.Its a qb league now and the pieces are there but the Bears are turning into the Packers OFFENSE and not a whole lot of defense.
Packer hacker

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 27, 2013
eric wrote:
I dont know P/H,, lots of folks on your channel in Chicago seems to think that as well. Maybe there is something to it.
your problem Eric is you believe what a few radio drama queens talk on the radio. The Chicago bears don't make decisions on what a drama queen sports personality says. Greenbay fans and radio hosts were calling Rodgers a pussy, does that make him one? If you believe the drama on radio & internet as the truth.... Your a drama queen.
eric

Verona, WI

#9 Dec 27, 2013
Im with you i hope they sign Cutler to a mega deal for many years! Not for anything but its more then a few radio "drama Queens" talk to some Bear fans,many want Cutler gone,Writers who cover the team say the same thing IF Cutler has a big game and a good playoff game,his stock rises,If Cutler doesnt play well,cant beat the Packers it does not help his leverage. Yes, GM Avery hired Tressman ( a qb guru) because ( in part) he can help Cutler but you have to think if Cutler has a bad game in a pressure situation,its not helping him.Think what you will,but...
Packer hacker

Lake In The Hills, IL

#10 Dec 27, 2013
eric wrote:
Im with you i hope they sign Cutler to a mega deal for many years! Not for anything but its more then a few radio "drama Queens" talk to some Bear fans,many want Cutler gone,Writers who cover the team say the same thing IF Cutler has a big game and a good playoff game,his stock rises,If Cutler doesnt play well,cant beat the Packers it does not help his leverage. Yes, GM Avery hired Tressman ( a qb guru) because ( in part) he can help Cutler but you have to think if Cutler has a bad game in a pressure situation,its not helping him.Think what you will,but...
Trestman would not make a decision on one game. That would be foolish, again they don't listen to drama queens. Bears have the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFl this season. Cutler has become the best QB in Bears history. I heard clay mathews is hurt again and wasn't very effective this year when he played. Looks like they over paid for him. I wonder if they will restructure his contract next year.
eric

Verona, WI

#11 Dec 27, 2013
Tressman was hired to ( in big part according to GM Avery) teach Cutler ( Tressman is a guru of qb supposedly),so,I would think based on that,Cutler stays,but, this 1 game can tell some stories.Cutler has a rep of not being a big game qb,So,if the Bears can beat GB and he has a nice playoff game,his stock rises and make himself more attractive to other teams, and his asking price rises.I agree the whole picture wont be on one game but this game will have an effect. The 2nd highest scoring team is bs plain and sinple,,GB and Chicago are a few teams apart in Offensive yards running,passing, and Defensive passing def and running defense,besides the fact McGown had a higher qb rating and prob threw for more yards and certainly had a better TD/INT ratio,so going on your logic,McGown would be a better system qb and he would stay ( based on your logic but we both know it wont happen but just saying).Mathews had thumb surgery again,He actually was effective when he played ( except for that 1 game he wore a club) GB ranks actually better offensively then Chicago,,not by much but they ranked higher and that is w/o the best qb for 7 weeks and going with Tolzien ( who will learn in time).Wallace who wont be there and Flynn who actually did ok,,kept the team alive,so he did his job
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#12 Dec 28, 2013
eric wrote:
<quoted text> IF they draft a qb in the mid rounds and develop for a season and give Cutler the franchise tag and keep him for 14 it would work but Cutler would be making the average of the top 5 qbs,,and Cutler is not worth nearly the average of the top 5 qbs but Cutler is playing with a 16M cap right now,so how much would his cap number rise nad really is Teddy Bridgewater and others be there when the Bears pick in the mid to late 20s or later.Its a qb league now and the pieces are there but the Bears are turning into the Packers OFFENSE and not a whole lot of defense.
Oh I agree with you on all of this. He isn't worth that money, but bringing in another QB will perhaps save money but is not likely to improve on his play (Mike Vick, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez for e.g.). Hence the dilemma. Schaub makes more than Cutler. So does Eli Manning. Is Joe Flacco that much better? All those guys are probably overpaid. You could let him test the market and try to get him for less, but then there's the hard feelings and the possibility that someone (Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland) values him more than you do. Based on his injury history, I think you'd get a better cap $ by signing him for 3 years and trying to work the math in your favor should you need to move on in a year or two. Then in the draft (depending on where you are) you look at a C.J. Mosley or Ahmad Dixon (who has Bears written all over him--even played for Baylor). BTW The Pack can select Dixon and be all right by me. He's a hybrid SS who plays nickel LB at times. Good tackler.
eric

Verona, WI

#13 Dec 28, 2013
Thing is Flacco and Eli both won 2 SB,,Cutler has 1 playoff victory while in Chicago,so that may effect his salary a bit..
The big prob for Chicago if they franchise Cutler would be if they could not reach a L.T. deal,then Cutler is eating the average of the top 5 qbs ( i dont have a cap number in front of me but it should be up there,although Cutler is at 16M now anyway but....) but what else can they do..They brought in Tressman to guide Cutler and after1 year,they let him go?...
A Hybrid SS would not be bad at all,,i agree with you there
Tom.we should get some playing time Jamari Lattimore, they talked about his physical play all week but he doesnt get a lot of playing time, he missed a ton of last year with injury,so this is really his first solid full year but a quicker,physical LB next to Hawk,who can cover the TE or at least cover the middle of the field is sorely needed,,the Defense gives up way to much over the middle.. I would also like to see GB play an extra WR and force Chicago play more like a dime then a Nickel,,The Bears are light in the secondary after the injury to Tillman ect
eric

Verona, WI

#14 Dec 28, 2013
<quoted text> Oh I agree with you on all of this. He isn't worth that money, but bringing in another QB will perhaps save money but is not likely to improve on his play (Mike Vick, Matt Schaub, Mark Sanchez for e.g.). Hence the dilemma. Schaub makes more than Cutler. So does Eli Manning. Is Joe Flacco that much better? All those guys are probably overpaid. You could let him test the market and try to get him for less, but then there's the hard feelings and the possibility that someone (Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland) values him more than you do. Based on his injury history, I think you'd get a better cap $ by signing him for 3 years and trying to work the math in your favor should you need to move on in a year or two. Then in the draft (depending on where you are) you look at a C.J. Mosley or Ahmad Dixon (who has Bears written all over him--even played for Baylor). BTW The Pack can select Dixon and be all right by me. He's a hybrid SS who plays nickel LB at times. Good tackler.
You were mentioning Dixon the Hybrid SS,,I wonder if Nix ( the Huge NT from Notre Dame ) will last? He has to be pushing 340-350 and a wide body the Packers could use to replace Raji ( if someone pays the 9M or so that hes asking for_)( Which personally i dont think he will get unless he has a real monster game vs Chicago and a solid playoff) Pitts runs the 3-4 so im worried about Nix getting passed them in the draft ( although its a real long time until the draft but)
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#15 Dec 29, 2013
SB with Eli and Flacco--that's fair. Do you think either would win the Bears a championship? I don't think so, but we'll never find out. That's they way I look at it, anyway.
Never too early for draft talk with me, you know that. It all depends on where we pick. If we lose today Nix might be around. When you look at draft prospects he comes up mid 20s, but some of the skill guys fall on draft day, especially QBs, so he may go top 20, despite concerns about his rawness. No telling what defense we'll be running next season, but I would suspect with this class that only 1-2 QBs will go early and there's a couple of top tier LBs and a TE up there, so if you are picking mid teens to mid 20s, OT will be the position, followed by DE. Nix maybe around. The safety class isn't strong, which is why Dixon intrigues.
eric

Verona, WI

#16 Dec 29, 2013
Here is another problem,we could use another DE ( esp if Jolly does not come back,,hes a FA,neck injury and who knows he may need surgery) I would like to think he would like to be back in GB with everything that happended and he would sign cheap but he will also be 31 by then,so hes passed that magic 30 age,but, he has 3 less years of abuse being gone ,so maybe that helps,i dont know.
I dont know a whole lot about Dixon,but, we could really use Richardson to step it up in both run and pass coverage ( besides the most important factor,he plays well,he helps the Packers!) but if he really grows,that may be 1 position ( in the draft) that the Packers can hold back with and maybe fill a hole late with maybe a 5th or 6th ( although i really dont like skill positions that late). I do wonder if Hyde will be switched over to safety from Corner ( esp if they release /trade Williams)( may depend on if Shields leaves via FAcy)
eric

Verona, WI

#17 Dec 29, 2013
SB with Eli and Flacco--that's fair. Do you think either would win the Bears a championship? I don't think so, but we'll never find out. That's they way I look at it, anyway.
Never too early for draft talk with me, you know that. It all depends on where we pick. If we lose today Nix might be around. When you look at draft prospects he comes up mid 20s, but some of the skill guys fall on draft day, especially QBs, so he may go top 20, despite concerns about his rawness. No telling what defense we'll be running next season, but I would suspect with this class that only 1-2 QBs will go early and there's a couple of top tier LBs and a TE up there, so if you are picking mid teens to mid 20s, OT will be the position, followed by DE. Nix maybe around. The safety class isn't strong, which is why Dixon intrigues.
In a 3-4 as you know we need a huge NT in the middle and if Raji leaves ( it only takes 1 team) then Nix is almost a must have unless Mike Daniels,Jarel Worthy can pull it off but both are to small ( worthy maybe able to pull off packing on 10-15 lbs or so and then maybe) UNLESS there is a wide body out there from a smaller school with an upside ( thats what scouts and film is for) but Raji is getting pushed around a bit to much down there and he is not creating pressure like he did a few years back ( we will need him big today vs Chicago). We could use another DE as well,SO maybe 1 falls as well.Datone Jones has not been real impressive but can improve year 1 to 2.,,Pickett is getting older and is a FA so maybe he comes back for depth at NT/DE at a cheaper rate.I dont know as much about Dixon as i should but if they can move Hyde to safety and Richardson make an impression today vs Chicago and ( hopefully ) in the playoffs he may prove enough that making safety a bit lower priority ( not much lower but) Dont forget Richardson was undrafted last year,suffered an injury early and missed most of last year nad the first 3/4 of this year and has played a bit the last few games but i like the kids size and if he can prove he can tackle and improve a bit on the run and pass,he can prove to be a pretty good safety.Hyde also impresses me, he seems to be a pretty solid tackler and both can improve on that with experience. Point is if they can play here Im hoping GB can push safety back a bit and concentrate on DE/( NT with NIX if hes there)..Tackle is a good question as well NLY ( offense of course) Bahktari has done a nice job at LT. Barclay at RT has disappointed me a bit BUT, Derrick Sherrod has practiced,,played a bit and so far so good..Bryan Bulaga should be back next year ( coming off an injury but has been injured a bit the past few years) so Maybe Tackle should be addressed as well. Bulaga from Knee surgery,Barclay maybe better suited at RG,Sherrod ( after that horrific injury) who knows if he will ever be the same,( although, so far hes stayed healthy after being back). What do they do with James Jones if he wants Greg Jennings money?..( i have read where TT wants to extend Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb although Cobb got injured,so maybe that changes things a bit) Boykins is not spectacular but certainly serviceable with upside..Dont know much about the kid they got after Seattle and SF cut him but he is a good sized kid and a former 2nd round ( Chris Harper) so do you really push for James Jones? Lead the NFL in TD a year or 2 back,this year,not so much but again is solid and the Packers have holes to fill,10M under the cap right now,Rodgers and Mathews will eat 11M more in cap space next year but there are guys who are gone freeing up money like Finley, Marshall Newhouse ( not much money in Newhouses case) and guys they can cut and or trade to free up cash (Williams,maybe Brad Jones) and guys like Raji who they would like back but may be overpaid by someone .Did you read where they offered Raji 8M,he turned it down,then GB pulled the offer off the table
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#18 Dec 30, 2013
Wow--that's a tome. Great game, huh? Can't blame it on Cutler.
I think Jones will be the odd man out. Boykin has more upside and Myles White looks ready to get some snaps too. Raji is 50/50. I think we need to keep him but I agree we need to spell him with another guy. Pittsburgh always seems to do that. Pickett is probably done in GB, as is Brad Jones. We need 2 more good LBs. T. Williams make good money, but he's one of our best players. Shields will get more in FA I bet. I think they'll be a lot of interest in him. We may have to look to House or a healthy Hayward to to take his place. I like Hyde at nickel corner. He fulfills that Woodson role pretty well. He'll only improve. Richardson has also improved. He may push to start next year, as Jennings is a RFA. I still think Burnett would be a better FS than anybody we've got over there if we could get an impact (emphasis on IMPACT) SS to take his spot. He's down in the box so much you don't realize that he covers a lot of ground.
I've said this before, but I don't think our Oline is that bad, considering who's playing and who we have injured. EDS & Newhouse are FA, so does Lang go to center or do we re-sign Smith? I happen to like Smith. He's athletic enough to pull out and lead runs. And that left inside area with him and Sitton is our best running lane. Not sure what his FA market will be. We've got a lot of $ in tackles... and most of our issues are on the edge.
We gotta decide what we're doing at TE (Quarless is a FA). Is Bostick the guy? Ebron (who I refer to above) is not likely to fall to us in the first round. Do we take Jace Amaro with our first pick? He is pretty much Jermichael Finley--maturity level and all. Very tempting and if he's still on the board you could make an argument that he's the best player available at if we are at 21-27. San Diego might want him too, though they may like a big guy like Seferian-Jenkins. It's not a great TE class.
Let's hope for a little luck against SF. I think we'll need every break we can get. Forecast says 18 degrees.
eric

Verona, WI

#19 Dec 30, 2013
I do believe they really like JC Tretter so maybe EDS is expendable..The kid broke his ankle and not only did they not cut him,but, they put him on the IR then P.S. and a week or 2 ago,they activated him on the roster.IM torn with James Jones,Very good WR but with Cobb and Nelson ( TT and MM wants to extend both this off season),and then Boykin,you mentioned Myles White and you fiqure he is prob going to want Greg Jennings money,so, he may have priced himself out ( who knows) Chris Harper was a 2nd round pick,cut by Sea and SF and he hasnt played much but an interesting prospect.Ebron ( the kid from N.Carolina i assume?)
IF Shields gets a ton somewhere, theres a problem,,TW ( if he takes a cut) and Hayward ( who may end up our best corner in a short time) and House ( who we should also think about replacing) but, an improved Pass Rush will help the corners out a bit.Hyde moving to safety will help as who knows if Dixon is there when we pick ( anywhere from 20 down,depending on how far GB gets in the playoffs) but 1 thing is for sure..GB has to improve at Safety/corner ( play makers) ILB ( unless they really think Jamari Lattimore can pull it off as well as Robert Fransicos ( but of course he cant stay healthy) and they need that big body in the Middle of he def.line and another DE ( who knows if Jolly will play again or play in GB again with the neck injury)
We talked about Nix ( NT Notre Dame) my only concern is at 350 or so,,can he play a ton of plays,,will he be part time,,can he stay in shape enough as 350 is a huge man! if he is still there why not but Pitts runs a 3-4 so they may grab him in front of us.I do think Newhouse is gone if Bulaga is healthy but look at our tackles..Bahkitari at LT,,,Bulaga/Barclay/Sherrod challange at RT ( Barclay has a roster advantage as he can play Guard as well as Tackle. So, who gets it..Bulaga who makes a ton,former 1st rounder coming off an injry or Sherrod former 1st rounder as well but either way Newhouse is gone..( Unless they still want to move Bulaga to LT which was the plan for 13 before he get hurt),then Bulaga and Sherrod both may be Tackles but Bakhtari has done well at LT...Really looking forward to SF.Last year SF killed us with Rushing,this year they got us passing,,they held Kapernek in check for the most part rushing but he threw for a ton,but, we dont hear the Hype about SF that we did last year and with a full season plus on film,maybe that option offense thing they ran with Colin isnt that unstoppable thing it was ( GB was really the 1st team to see it ( playoffs 12,,really no film on it) then they were much better and effective at stopping it game 1 this year) but not having Clay Mathews will really hurt!..Manningham is on IR but they still have Crabtree and Bouldin ( as compared to Marshall and Jaffery last weekend),they have Frank Gore ( as compared to Matt Forte) and Vernon Davis who is one of the best in the business at TE nad Colin Kapernek ( who you would have to say is better then Cutler,,more Mobile),,SF is also much better up front and a much better defense in all aspects,so, hopefully the offense plays a bit better next weekend against a better defense..SF has beaten GB lately but a new game,,they will have to play nearly flawless football to win it nad like you said,some lucky breaks here but it can be done,,they are 12-4 but for some reason, they are not getting that attention like they did ( maybe its because Seattle is a huge favorite to get to the SB_ and that over shaddows SF a bit) but SF is not to be taken lightly for sure. I liked Bostick last year but he hasnt done a whole lot but is young and has room to grow and like you said TE is not a great class this year,so Bostick and Quarrless seem to be it ( A.Q. has played better the past few games)
RB is intersting. Lacy,Starks done a great job! Franklin didnt show much but is Special Teams quality,dont forget DuJuan Harris should be back as well next year and Kahill Bell ( i wonder if he will be )
eric

Verona, WI

#20 Dec 30, 2013
I read where Chicago has 27 or so FA including Hester and they have less cap space then GB does ( although when all those contracts expire,they have a ton of cash freed up and im sure some of those guys will be gone with no offers,,,like i hope GB does with Finley,let him go and not bother offering him anything) but Aaron maybe Finleys chance, i would think AR has a voice in this,,if he really wanted Finley back,i would think TT would take that into consideration and try to resign him if Finley was reasonable.and like you said,TE isnt very deep in this years draft.Tony Gonzales retired,so, i wonder if ATL would consider Finley?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Bears Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2013 NFL Mock Draft: Current Info for All 32 Fi... (Jan '13) Feb 14 PhartsRaiders 351
News Ravens-Bears to meet in Hall of Fame game on Au... Feb 13 Raider Fartsman 2
News Adrian Peterson must repay bank $600,000 Feb 9 Purple fart salad 6
News Sam Bradford on latest comeback: 'Really hard t... Jan '18 WetRaiderFart 6
News The Voice's Melanie Martinez accused of rape Dec '17 Farter Raider 2
News NFL Extra: Kick return star Devin Hester retire... Dec '17 Fart for Raiders 2
News Packers cut Martellus Bennett, abruptly ending ... Nov '17 Farts Release 4
More from around the web