10 Best Offensive Line Units from the 2011 Season

Full story: BleacherReport

Get ready NFL fans! Using a unique combination of several sources and statistical information, I was able to generate a very thorough scoring system in order to determine the best and worst offensive line units in the NFL for the 2011 season.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated May 20, 2012

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

7. Minnesota Vikings

Led By John Sullivan and Steve Hutchinson, the Vikings were one of the best teams in the league in the "power" running category while also struggling to protect their young QB.

Interestingly enough, having the seventh-best offensive line in the league did not prevent the Vikings from winning only three games last year.

The Vikings ran the ball very well and managed to have lots of big plays in the run game with relatively minimal negative plays.

Category Rankings:
Sack: 27

QB Hits Allowed: 17th

Rush Yards: fourth

Rush Average: second

Big Play vs. Negative Play Ratio: seventh

Total Power Percentage: second

Individual Production: 11th

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

7th best OL in football last year. The protecting struggles were because he either ran quick or held the ball.

exactly what I told everybody, the OL last year was 7th best in the NFL so we were terrific.

A+

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

grade double F-

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

ezg357, this is what I was telling you about the OL. It was a figment of everybody imagination that the OL was bad in fact it was among the BEST in football.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Someone doesn't know football,he believes everything he hears and reads though.
Seems almost every time this individual speaks,he proves how clueless he is,Viking fan HAHAHAHA.
Guess when your broke and watch games on your computer,in a site that freezes every other minute,your pretty much left talking stupid.Always down on the Vikings and always giving bad info.Seems everybody in football knew Kalil had to be the pick,but here comes jimmy with his sites.Pro Football Focus says the Vikings OL was pretty good,a reputable site but obviously wrong.OL been real bad for years.Jimmy admits as much when it was TJ qb'ing,plus jimmy said his chick needed receivers but Ponder had open guys all over the place.
This is why Avant can never be respected.To much about himself and if his idea of draft picks aren't drafted,it's a bad front office,players,etc.And then if they do draft someone he likes,it's how great the player is and how great Avant is and the GM for drafting the guy.PURE PUKE.
Grade F

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

It's early but my mock site has a going linemen in rd 1@ 2 in 2013,
Star Lotulelei-DT Utah a difference maker.
Rd 2 Jonathan Cooper-Guard N.C. as we continue to build the OL.That would be Walters football-Charlie Campbell,with the 2nd pick,he claims it's all about protecting Ponder.The other guy has us picking #1 over all,until he comes to his senses,credibility is an issue,jimmy bought the farm on that projection.BAWAHAHAHA
Barkley will be as obtainable as the 1st 2 selections were this last draft.Bet sparky spends the whole year talking about it though.It's what he does,talk about top 5 picks and unobtainable picks.When you slept with T.Jackson for 5 years and were dead wrong,covering your ass is your only option.Problem with that though,is your not being informative,everybody knows.

“5th Degree Black Belt”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Childress wrote:
It's early but my mock site has a going linemen in rd 1@ 2 in 2013,
Star Lotulelei-DT Utah a difference maker.
Rd 2 Jonathan Cooper-Guard N.C. as we continue to build the OL.That would be Walters football-Charlie Campbell,with the 2nd pick,he claims it's all about protecting Ponder.The other guy has us picking #1 over all,until he comes to his senses,credibility is an issue,jimmy bought the farm on that projection.BAWAHAHAHA
Barkley will be as obtainable as the 1st 2 selections were this last draft.Bet sparky spends the whole year talking about it though.It's what he does,talk about top 5 picks and unobtainable picks.When you slept with T.Jackson for 5 years and were dead wrong,covering your ass is your only option.Problem with that though,is your not being informative,everybody knows.
The BleacherReport is a great website not because the story on NFL OL proves me right. It give real time informative NON-BIAS information on all NFL matters.

If you listen carefully you can hear Dandy Don Meredith Singing "turn off the lights the parties over" because Over the past two year I own the QB position. Newton, Dalton, Rg3, Best of all time, Heisman's and a rookie playoff QB. Now the OL!

I understand your frustration. If I were you I would I would hate me also because nobody like a know it all.
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Avant wrote:
ezg357, this is what I was telling you about the OL. It was a figment of everybody imagination that the OL was bad in fact it was among the BEST in football.
I took this from a News article.>>Right guard Anthony Herrera and the offensive line have allowed Denver to sack quarterback Christian Ponder twice, and hit him three other times.
Hannah Foslien/Getty Images
When Christian Ponder has had time, minus one pick-six, he has been successful.

He's completed 62 percent of his passes (18-of-29) for 192 yards and one touchdown. He's shown poise, confidence and looked comfortable in the pocket when he's had time.

But often he's been rushed, flustered and not given the necessary amount of time to make plays for the Vikings through the air.

Denver has forced three quarterback hits and has sacked Ponder twice. Many of those hits have been vicious. If Minnesota wants to have its franchise quarterback severely injured, then the offensive line should continue to do what it's doing.

Otherwise, things need to change. Protect your quarterback.
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Also on The Vikings taking Kalil Here is what the Panthers had to say about Kalil.>> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/...
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

If your going to say the Front line wasnt the problem tell me this why did the Vikes move Johnson to LG & had a free agent RG come in & They got a Blocking TE There going to pay out 30 to 50 million or over for Kalil. I guess they did all of that for a front line that didnt need it. Why would they do this for a front line that didnt need fixing If Ponder was the Problem?
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

They the seventh best Yes the Vikes running game is what makes the Vikings the seventh best Not there pass protection
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

If it wasnt the Vikings offensive line Then how do you explain Webb in Week 14 playing the Lions, His 109 rushing yards set a franchise record for most rushing yards in a game by a QB. I think he was running for his life in that game because there wasnt any Pass Protection by the Offensive line.
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

This is want was said of Ponder in collage.> In 2009, Ponder was well on his way to a career season when he suffered a season ending shoulder injury at Clemson. Through the first eight games of the season, he led the ACC in passing average per game and was one of the national leaders in yards and passing efficiency[

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

ezg357 wrote:
They the seventh best Yes the Vikes running game is what makes the Vikings the seventh best Not there pass protection
Our RT is considered one of the best in the game.
In run defense,one of the worse in pass protection.Pass protection has been a problem as far back as Tice.It's what we're trying to fix.This is what makes jimmy not believable.And Dalton was not his pick,he picked 0 qb's for Minn.despite only having Webb on the roster.He kept saying TJ was best available.He may have mentioned Dalton briefly/But was not clamoring for him.
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Childress wrote:
<quoted text>Our RT is considered one of the best in the game.
In run defense,one of the worse in pass protection.Pass protection has been a problem as far back as Tice.It's what we're trying to fix.This is what makes jimmy not believable.And Dalton was not his pick,he picked 0 qb's for Minn.despite only having Webb on the roster.He kept saying TJ was best available.He may have mentioned Dalton briefly/But was not clamoring for him.
True Pass protection has always been a problem & Loadholt is solid on run plays. I am hoping this being his third year he has learned something from last season on Pass Protection He was improving by the end of the season, lets hope it carries over to this year. I cant laugh at anyone for there picks or hoping the player they liked pans out because I myself has did the same thing.Remember when the Vikings selected running back Darrin Nelson I was all for him year after year The thing is when the Vikings picked Nelson with the 7th pick They Passed on Marcus Allen Well you know how each turned out.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

ezg357 wrote:
<quoted text>True Pass protection has always been a problem & Loadholt is solid on run plays. I am hoping this being his third year he has learned something from last season on Pass Protection He was improving by the end of the season, lets hope it carries over to this year. I cant laugh at anyone for there picks or hoping the player they liked pans out because I myself has did the same thing.Remember when the Vikings selected running back Darrin Nelson I was all for him year after year The thing is when the Vikings picked Nelson with the 7th pick They Passed on Marcus Allen Well you know how each turned out.
The thing about the RB and I remember talk of it at the time was different team different scheme,not sure it was Nelson though,and don't feel like looking right now.Furthermore I have no problem with likes and dislikes who achieve or fail but Jimmy was way overboard on TJ.Plus he's way to full of himself.I know I appear to be, but usually it's to piss him off,otherwise I can be quite pleasant unless someone is a bonehead.Lastly Phil doesn't have what it takes with speed DE's and strong DE's,but he's a great run blocker,I suspect our two TE offense will be to help him and Kalil while he develops/gets accustomed to the NFL and speed of the game.If somehow Barkley was available to us next draft,I'm sure we would draft him,getting pretty loaded on USC/Notre Dame players.Yikes.Maybe they continue the rivalry in practice.One closing thing on jimmy,go look at his post from day one,he has always trolled the forum,in my thread "Gold or Bust" I start with 2006 Avant-greeter,major bust.Probably nobody got it,but jimmy definitely fails as a greeter.lol
ezg357

Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

I found this on Darrin Nelson.>> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1140806-10...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••