Bills, Dolphins make safe picks, avoi...

Bills, Dolphins make safe picks, avoid QBs

There are 12 comments on the ESPN story from Apr 28, 2011, titled Bills, Dolphins make safe picks, avoid QBs. In it, ESPN reports that:

As expected, a famous quarterback was the first pick in Thursday night's NFL draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ESPN.

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#1 Apr 29, 2011
Safe picks? Yeah, but Miami's drafting of Mike Pouncey solidified the offensive line. Miami got the best offensive lineman in the draft. It was unfortunate Miami couldn't trade down, but since there were no callers, there was nothing Ireland could do. Teams reached to draft locker and Ponder, neither of which should have been drafted in the first round.

United States

#2 Apr 29, 2011
The next Emmit Smith was sitting there awaiting the call to boulster the Miami running attack and they pick a center. They could have moved Richie Incognito to center!

This is what MY Miami Dolphins do. They make dumb decisions. When they go bold, they take a chance on Brandon Marshall and turn him in to a bust, when the need to go bold, they play it "safe" and go with Pouncey.

I have no problem with Pouncey as a talent. I am sure that he may be as impactful as his brother was with the Steelers, problem is, if you do not have talented skill position players, talented offensive linemen are irrelevent.

Come to think of it so are My Miami Dolphins.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#3 Apr 29, 2011
Tom Loy wrote:
Safe picks? Yeah, but Miami's drafting of Mike Pouncey solidified the offensive line. Miami got the best offensive lineman in the draft. It was unfortunate Miami couldn't trade down, but since there were no callers, there was nothing Ireland could do. Teams reached to draft locker and Ponder, neither of which should have been drafted in the first round.
Felt sorry for Ingrahm though, all the talking heads, had been saying, the Fins would draft him....in the end, he got lucky, it was the Saints.....Locker and Dixon had to be tempting.....
MiaDolFan

Miami, FL

#4 Apr 29, 2011
MarkL5 wrote:
The next Emmit Smith was sitting there awaiting the call to boulster the Miami running attack and they pick a center. They could have moved Richie Incognito to center!
This is what MY Miami Dolphins do. They make dumb decisions. When they go bold, they take a chance on Brandon Marshall and turn him in to a bust, when the need to go bold, they play it "safe" and go with Pouncey.
I have no problem with Pouncey as a talent. I am sure that he may be as impactful as his brother was with the Steelers, problem is, if you do not have talented skill position players, talented offensive linemen are irrelevent.
Come to think of it so are My Miami Dolphins.
The "next Emmit Smith" would have had no interior linemen to open up holes. Pouncy can (and likely will given some college snapping difficulties) play guard as well as center.

...and Reggie Bush looks like he'll be available
MiaDolFan

Miami, FL

#5 Apr 29, 2011
The top QB prospect were already taken (over-reached for, IMO) by the 15th pick, so I can't pound the too hard for not drafting a 1st round QB.

United States

#6 Apr 29, 2011
MiaDolFan wrote:
<quoted text>
The "next Emmit Smith" would have had no interior linemen to open up holes. Pouncy can (and likely will given some college snapping difficulties) play guard as well as center.
Like I said...
I have no problem with Pouncy. My problem is great backs do not come alone as often as great linemen. Walter Payton was in place with the Bears before they had a great line, as was OJ with the Bills.

The Dolphin's OLine before Pouncy was not chopped liver. Don't make it sound as if Brown and Williams were running behind celephane.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#7 Apr 29, 2011
Yes they where safe picks, unfortunately safe picks rarely help teams win. The Jags made many safe picks over the last two years and hoping that a Backup Quarter back could manage the game and get the team to the playoffs, did not work..

It was about time they drafted a Quarterback and while none of us know right now how good or how bad he may be, he sure seams to have the tools to be a very good franchise quarterback.

ridgefarm Il

#8 Apr 29, 2011
MiaDolFan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said! It doesn't matter how good your RB is if the line cannot open holes!

ridgefarm Il

#9 Apr 29, 2011
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text> Felt sorry for Ingrahm though, all the talking heads, had been saying, the Fins would draft him....in the end, he got lucky, it was the Saints.....Locker and Dixon had to be tempting.....
Yeah, I knew Miami wasn't going to draft ingram. Ireland, like parcells drafts RBs later in the draft, but you feel for the guy sitting there with the camera on him.
Hyman Seltzer

Spring Hill, FL

#10 Apr 29, 2011
It all depends on what Hank Goldberg thinks.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#11 Apr 29, 2011
MiaDolFan wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems Reggie Bush has to go down as a quasi-bust, tremendously overrated, and never strong enough to run, between the tackles....that running around the corners, only works in the PAC-10, where you are the fastest guy, not in the NFL.....
Miami Fan

Katy, TX

#12 Apr 29, 2011
Leave it to the Dolphins to make Tom Loy's pre draft ramblings look stupid. I love it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Bills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News EJ Manual bolsters position as Bills' No. 1 qua... Mon Fart news 5
Poll Why will the Bills Blow Goats? Aug 21 Fart news 1
News Bills DC Accidentally Held Up a Bank? Aug 14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Richie Incognito to start for Buffalo Bills, Re... Aug 12 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Levy, Tarkenton to present during Hall of Fam... Jul '15 Fart news 6
News Bills' Rex Ryan: 'We're coming after' the Patriots Jun '15 tom wingo 59
News If Buffalo Bills won't sign Ray Rice, will anyo... Jun '15 Tanked Johnson 1
More from around the web