Tie in Super Bowl
Ikibot Krane

Green Bay, WI

#1 Nov 11, 2012
The nfl should change its rules, for a rare case a Super Bowl went into overtime and the rarer case it might be tied at the end overtime.

Playoff games cannot end in a tie because there is an opponent waiting one winning team the next week.

The SuperBowl, however, there is no team waiting for a victor the next week.
The season is done.

Perhaps one overtime with no scores and still a tie is not reasonable to change to this proposal.....

but if the SB teams were ever to make it to the end of 2 or 3 extra periods the game should end in a tie and there is no champion for that year. It should be declared a champion-less season. It is declared that neither team is good enough to be crowned champion. No. Not co-champions. But no champion. Not fair to the rest of the teams and especially not the other playoff teams, most notably the conference runners-up? Well, no. Not really. Those teams did not play good enough to make it to the SB in the first place.

Likewise, if 2 teams do not play good enough to outscore each other over the course of 2 or 3 over time periods, they should be declared not good enough to be declared champions. The NFL championship crown should stand vacant for a year until a team can win at the end of 6 or 7 periods.

This proposal not fair to the fans?
Oh, contraire mon frere.
In the ultra-rare chance that this would occur, the fans would witness history. I know, some people cannot seem to handle the concept of there not being "one single best". But in reality, sometimes actually, this is the case. In the real world, this actually happens a heck of a lot more than sports analogies can handle - no "one single best".

Personally I'd go with the 2 overtimes, because I'd actually like to see this happen and 3 overtimes makes it even LESS likely.

No worries though, even if the NFL DID change the rule to this (no doubtedly what some people would call) whack-job proposal, it would be extremely unlikely to happen. When was the last time you saw an SB go into 2 overtimes? Or even one? Never.

In fact, the 1958 National Football League Championship Game between the Baltimore Colts 23 and the New York Giants 17 played on December 28, 1958, was the only NFL championship game ever to go into overtime.
Ikibot Krane

Green Bay, WI

#3 Nov 25, 2012
sorry wrote:
<quoted text>
Good god that's a lot of typing. You lost me after the third sentence. In short: just play till someone wins.
Thanks for responding.
And thanks for not writing just "that's dumb" like some would.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#4 Nov 25, 2012
that's an interesting thought
Keyboardgas

Houston, TX

#5 Nov 29, 2012
and dumb....
TheConstitutionI sShorter

Miami, FL

#6 Nov 29, 2012
sorry wrote:
<quoted text>
Good god that's a lot of typing. You lost me after the third sentence. In short: just play till someone wins.
You got to the third sentence? You're a trooper. I din't make it to the third word.
Zero 2 Zero Score

Houston, TX

#7 Nov 29, 2012
Enough of all this Super Bowl tie talk....its not like the Jets and Cards will be playing in it....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NFL Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help keep this lame thread alive. 2 hr HelpingPhartz 22
Sorry guys, I have Bradylust 2 hr YouPhartz 6
News Chiefs CB Phillip Gaines dislocated finger vs. ... 2 hr Fat Walrus coaching 3
News Bye, bye Bortles? Jaguars open up quarterback c... 2 hr ShouldPhartz 2
Media hates Brady and Bradylust, Got Wood 4 hr PostPhartss 13
Just a reminder, Bradylust runs Rampant 12 hr A Phartzs 2
Just A Reminder 13 hr We Phart 2
More from around the web