Goodell to meet with 'bounty' players

Goodell to meet with 'bounty' players

There are 54 comments on the WETM-TV Elmira story from Sep 11, 2012, titled Goodell to meet with 'bounty' players. In it, WETM-TV Elmira reports that:

National Football League Commissioner Roger Goddell smiles before the season opening game between the New Orleans Saints and the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on September 8, 2011 in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WETM-TV Elmira.

Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#22 Sep 13, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that is his most notable quality. I actually agree with many of his STATED goals. The problem is that there are so many things that he says and does that convince me that he doesn't mean any of it. There are ulterior motives and agendas.
This is just one example. Goodell has made helmet to helmet hits (spearing) a centerpiece of his so-called new emphasis on safety. He has handed out many fines for such hits. I don't know if you saw this past weekend when offensive player, Trent Richardson, put his helmet down in a classic case of spearing and made helmet to helmet contact with defensive player,K urt Coleman, causing Coleman's helmet to pop off and fly about ten yards. I GUARANTEE that if a defensive player did that he would receive a HUGE fine and/or be suspended. No penalty was called and I'll bet any amount of money no fine will be levied. It's just b.s. to CLAIM you care about safety, but spearing by offensive players is okay. I played the game. It didn't hurt any less being hit by an offensive player. A cheap or illegal hit by an offensive player was as dangerous and caused as much pain and injury as one by a defensive player. As long as Goodell continues to have his actions diverge from his words I will never trust the shady sob. The Saints situation is just another situation (in a long list) that makes me distrust him. He has tied multiple issues together intentionally creating confusion in a way apparently intended to gain an advantage in litigation in unrelated matters. There is NOTHING about his actions that supports his claims of it being a player safety issue. In what way has any player in the NFL been made safer by imposing such excessively long suspensions against a mere 4 players, none of whom touched the players alledgedly targeted. If he REALLY wants to make a valid claim that it is safety related, the EVIDENCE must necessarily be presented. What does it do to increase safety if you never PROVE that you punished players that intended to injure other players. It might make a difference to some fans, but there aren't any players that will do anything different. Players have to be thinking that they run a risk of being unfairly singled out and punished no matter what they do. So who would change the way they play?
Take any other job: If 4 mortagage salesmen appeared to be arbitrarily punished because there was a sense that some mortgage salesmen must have done something wrong, do you think that would change the behavior of any other mortgage salesmen? But if specific evidence is presented against 4 mortgage salemen showing exactly what they did and why it was wrong, that might have an effect!
Did you see the HTH on Sunday Night Football? I swear the Pittsburgh receiver went all-star soccer player so he could get the call
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#23 Sep 13, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Did you see the HTH on Sunday Night Football? I swear the Pittsburgh receiver went all-star soccer player so he could get the call
I missed it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for or against more penalties and fines being levied. I'm certainly not in favor of flopping. I AM in favor of safety. However, safety is advanced best by good safety measures and protocols. The second best way to insure safety is consistent and fair application of the rules on the field by the refs. Consistently and fairly applying fines and penalties is, at best, the 3rd best way to assure player safety. And Goodell does that very poorly! Acting as though defensive players are the only players capable of dirty play or causing injury is neither consistent or fair.
Obamas Lawn

United States

#24 Sep 13, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that is his most notable quality. I actually agree with many of his STATED goals. The problem is that there are so many things that he says and does that convince me that he doesn't mean any of it. There are ulterior motives and agendas.
This is just one example. Goodell has made helmet to helmet hits (spearing) a centerpiece of his so-called new emphasis on safety. He has handed out many fines for such hits. I don't know if you saw this past weekend when offensive player, Trent Richardson, put his helmet down in a classic case of spearing and made helmet to helmet contact with defensive player,K urt Coleman, causing Coleman's helmet to pop off and fly about ten yards. I GUARANTEE that if a defensive player did that he would receive a HUGE fine and/or be suspended. No penalty was called and I'll bet any amount of money no fine will be levied. It's just b.s. to CLAIM you care about safety, but spearing by offensive players is okay. I played the game. It didn't hurt any less being hit by an offensive player. A cheap or illegal hit by an offensive player was as dangerous and caused as much pain and injury as one by a defensive player. As long as Goodell continues to have his actions diverge from his words I will never trust the shady sob. The Saints situation is just another situation (in a long list) that makes me distrust him. He has tied multiple issues together intentionally creating confusion in a way apparently intended to gain an advantage in litigation in unrelated matters. There is NOTHING about his actions that supports his claims of it being a player safety issue. In what way has any player in the NFL been made safer by imposing such excessively long suspensions against a mere 4 players, none of whom touched the players alledgedly targeted. If he REALLY wants to make a valid claim that it is safety related, the EVIDENCE must necessarily be presented. What does it do to increase safety if you never PROVE that you punished players that intended to injure other players. It might make a difference to some fans, but there aren't any players that will do anything different. Players have to be thinking that they run a risk of being unfairly singled out and punished no matter what they do. So who would change the way they play?
Take any other job: If 4 mortagage salesmen appeared to be arbitrarily punished because there was a sense that some mortgage salesmen must have done something wrong, do you think that would change the behavior of any other mortgage salesmen? But if specific evidence is presented against 4 mortgage salemen showing exactly what they did and why it was wrong, that might have an effect!
Agree 100%...his little which hunt backfired and now he looks like a total D-Bag. Maybe next time he should consult what he can and can not get away with before he throws out punishment against players...

Missed that hit you referred to but say the one LBF mentioned from the Steelers game...seems to be a waivering line between helmet to helmet on a 'defensless' player...then again these refs are part time...
Obamas Lawn

United States

#25 Sep 13, 2012
...witch hunt....
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#26 Sep 13, 2012
Obamas Lawn wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree 100%...his little which hunt backfired and now he looks like a total D-Bag. Maybe next time he should consult what he can and can not get away with before he throws out punishment against players...
Missed that hit you referred to but say the one LBF mentioned from the Steelers game...seems to be a waivering line between helmet to helmet on a 'defensless' player...then again these refs are part time...
I get it, "defensive" players are defense and "offensive" players are defenseLESS! That's ridiculous but it could explain why Goodell rules how he does. Having played the game, I know that offensive players are just as capable of dirty play and the collisions with them can also cause injury to the defensive player.
Rise to the top

United States

#27 Sep 13, 2012
league office PR department assistant to Commissioner of the NFL...someone has been sucking on more than ice cream pops.....
Fins Tix Scalper

Miami, FL

#28 Sep 13, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it, "defensive" players are defense and "offensive" players are defenseLESS! That's ridiculous but it could explain why Goodell rules how he does. Having played the game, I know that offensive players are just as capable of dirty play and the collisions with them can also cause injury to the defensive player.
I played OL for abit--damn right just as dirty as the D. I once clotheslined a DL who in the play before stuck his fingers into my helmet and bloodied my nose. No flag, no foul, and he was so woozy he couldn't even identify me to the ref (who missed it somehow) when he went crying that he got clotheslined.
Rat Finks

United States

#29 Sep 13, 2012
Everyone, O & D, tries to get away with something...weather it is 'pay back' or planned (bounty or other)...nature of the game.

If it was Jeremy Shockey who sold them out...that falls under "The pot calling the kettle black"...he was a dirty player himself...
Own Words

United States

#30 Sep 13, 2012
"I think it just kind of comes naturally to me. I feel like I've been coached that way my whole life to play dirty and to play mean."

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Shockey/Shockey_m...
Nigerian Nightmare

Littleton, CO

#31 Sep 13, 2012
Steve Atwater
Damn You!!!
I tried to Jr Seau myself because of my concussions
But I pulled a Scott Norwood
Missed Wide Right!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#32 Sep 13, 2012
Fins Tix Scalper wrote:
<quoted text>
I played OL for abit--damn right just as dirty as the D. I once clotheslined a DL who in the play before stuck his fingers into my helmet and bloodied my nose. No flag, no foul, and he was so woozy he couldn't even identify me to the ref (who missed it somehow) when he went crying that he got clotheslined.
Yeah, I played offense and defense. I can't say that I never made a dirty hit. However, my best and most injurious hits on both sides of the ball were clean hits! If I had to guess, I'd say I probably played dirtier when I was on offense. Taking advantage on the offensive side of the game is an elevated art form. It actually helps that refs aren't so eager to throw the flag on an offensive player. I know for sure that I received more cheap shots from offensive players.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#33 Sep 13, 2012
This whole thing is stupid, if the coaches say they will pay you if you injure people how is that the players fault?
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#34 Sep 14, 2012
oxymorphoneman wrote:
This whole thing is stupid, if the coaches say they will pay you if you injure people how is that the players fault?
Yeah, I'd like to meet the person that would turn in the boss for paying a performance bonus. Not because I would like or admire them. I bet I would not like a person that would do that. But meeting that person would be like meeting Bigfoot or a unicorn. I would want to take a picture as proof that I actually saw it.
Cash in Hand

Katy, TX

#35 Sep 14, 2012
oxymorphoneman wrote:
Right? Who would turn down that kind of free money...lol..
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#36 Sep 14, 2012
Cash in Hand wrote:
<quoted text>
Right? Who would turn down that kind of free money...lol..
Considering the potential fines nowadays, it really isn't free. It's more like a gamble! A gamble that could result in a net loss.
Taxed Bounty

Katy, TX

#37 Sep 14, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering the potential fines nowadays, it really isn't free. It's more like a gamble! A gamble that could result in a net loss.
Yep...it really isnt worth it considering the BS those guys are dealing with...

Wonder if they claimed that through the IRS....lmao...
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#38 Sep 14, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I'd like to meet the person that would turn in the boss for paying a performance bonus. Not because I would like or admire them. I bet I would not like a person that would do that. But meeting that person would be like meeting Bigfoot or a unicorn. I would want to take a picture as proof that I actually saw it.
Contract values, not bonuses are determined by how well you play right?
Throw TD's you get paid
Rush for TD's you get paid
Make interceptions you get paid
Play 'rugged defense'(whatever that means) you get paid
If you knock QB's out of the game you get paid
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#39 Sep 14, 2012
Taxed Bounty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep...it really isnt worth it considering the BS those guys are dealing with...
Wonder if they claimed that through the IRS....lmao...
I thought they were putting in their own money. Didn't they already pay taxes on that money? I bet the guys that work for the IRS don't pay taxes on office pool winnings. It would be funny though, wouldn't it? The players go to Williams and say: "Hey coach I'm filing my taxes. Can I get a 1099?"
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#40 Sep 14, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Contract values, not bonuses are determined by how well you play right?
Throw TD's you get paid
Rush for TD's you get paid
Make interceptions you get paid
Play 'rugged defense'(whatever that means) you get paid
If you knock QB's out of the game you get paid
Apparently, in New Orleans both contracts and bonuses were determined by how well you played. I'm sure it was both on every team in the league at one time or another. I'm surprised the whole focus has been on the defense. Do you seriously think that ONLY the defense had a bonus pool for performance? Have you ever played football? Can you imagine only part of your team having something like that?
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#41 Sep 14, 2012
GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, in New Orleans both contracts and bonuses were determined by how well you played. I'm sure it was both on every team in the league at one time or another. I'm surprised the whole focus has been on the defense. Do you seriously think that ONLY the defense had a bonus pool for performance? Have you ever played football? Can you imagine only part of your team having something like that?
Used to play guard. Loved hitting people. I'm pretty old so you were able to throw a forearm in the throat, put the helmet on the chin. People were easy to move

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NFL Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Goodell prime example of a lack of integrity 11 hr Fart news 36
News NFL: Cowboys' top cornerback Orlando Scandrick ... 22 hr Fart news 4
News MANSOUR: 53-Man Roster Prediction Fri Fart news 2
John Harbaugh changes Subject to escape scrutiny Fri Fart news 27
News ESPN, NFL admonish Cris Carter for urging NFL r... Fri Fart news 10
News Tom and Gisele's Marriage Under Fire as Close S... Thu Fart news 6
So football fans Thu Fart news 11
More from around the web