Larrivee: Packers getting better, refs got better despite missed calls

Oct 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTMJ-AM Milwaukee

Get all the news and information you need to start your day during Wisconsin's Morning News with Gene Mueller.

Comments
21 - 40 of 117 Comments Last updated Oct 10, 2012
packer backer wichita ks

Andover, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Judged:

Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Can't have it both ways. Cuntler gifted a few INT's in the same formation
Not asking for it both ways. To me this is a problem the Packers have. Could care less about Cutler's troubles.
eric

Pittsville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Judged:

packer backer wichita ks wrote:
<quoted text>What really bothers me is the 3rd and long situations and the Packers time after time rushing 3 people with 8 in coverage and still giving up the 1st down. That has to be fixed by the staff and players. Listen, everyone, this defense is better than last year. In the Saints game they gave up too many big plays which really hurt them last season eventhough they won 15 games. If that trend rears its ugly head we would be foolish to think the offense can respond as it did last season. Larrivee is right about the Packers improvement. We have 12 more games to see if it will get the Packers into the playoffs and to their ultimate goal.
I do wonder and am concerned about that as well. Why not rush at least 6 and take your chances.Play man to man and let the front 7 go to town!I said last year the big play will kill them and it did, i just hope we dont have a repeat performance.We had a bad defensive game vs SF and now N.O.( SF was the 1st game and its still early)so i suspect the defense will get better as we go along.Indy should be fun and who knows how well Luck wil do, the Houston Texans the week after very well can be undefeated when we meet ,then we end our 3 game roady with STL nad back home with Jacksonville,So we are 2-2 for the first quarter of the season,@INDY,HOUSTON,STL then home vs Jacksonville to finish the 2nd quarter and the first half of games and hopefully we win 3 of 4 at least ( we should beat INDY,STL and Jacksonville) with Houston being more questionable but of course still do able and if we go 3-1 thats 5-3 at the half way mark with 2 vs Detroit,2 vs Minn, another w/Chicago,then NYG,Arizona and Tenn.( not in that order but whos left) IMHO the good part is even at 5-3 in the first half,we do get 5 division games in the 2nd half when the team usually plays better ( being younger as most teams,as usual for TT) the Packers play better in the 2nd half and just in time for our 5 division games and hopefully a division title and hopefully we can run the table again Minn is better then last year ( as many suspected) Chicago is Chicago and we have beaten them a few straight now ( 5 i believe and 8 of the last 9 or somewhere in there) so hopefully thats a nice sign ( although doesnt guarrentee anything) and Det.( as of now,is not playing well at all,but, can get better but they have lost 10 of the last 16 since starting 5-0 last year)
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Eric,
I copied this from another thread where I was talking to GBPmies. I think it explains some things, maybe not.
I think it has to do with the new CBA allowing only a certain number of practice hours during training camp. Couple that with starters not playing the 4th preseason game fearing injuries and the first 4-5 games are sloppy in the regular season. I think that is why wild card teams have been doing well lately, start slow, then get better and are forced to keep playing starters late in the season, unlike teams that get out to a big lead and rest their starters for a few games, they are rusty in the playoffs (see last year's packers)
Reggie 2-2

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Laughing Bear Fan wrote -"Rex Ryan will trade next year's entire draft for Romo"

You know who rex ryan is on here- GBP FAN because he knows everything just like Rex.
Rex thinks hes god allmighty just like GBP fan.
Your wrong and hes right even though the rest of the sportsworld sees otherwise.
ALL Hail REX RYAN aka GBP FAN
eric

Pittsville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Judged:

Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
Eric,
I copied this from another thread where I was talking to GBPmies. I think it explains some things, maybe not.
I think it has to do with the new CBA allowing only a certain number of practice hours during training camp. Couple that with starters not playing the 4th preseason game fearing injuries and the first 4-5 games are sloppy in the regular season. I think that is why wild card teams have been doing well lately, start slow, then get better and are forced to keep playing starters late in the season, unlike teams that get out to a big lead and rest their starters for a few games, they are rusty in the playoffs (see last year's packers)
Thats an interesting comment.I can see that.10 GB played everyone the whole run and won a SB,last year, GB got the luxury of resting some and they lost,(although NY was the hot team at that time,so dont want to take anything away from the Giants and their performance).The CBA does cut down practice like you said,but, that should help the veteran teams I would think.Keeps the vets fresh (and they know how to get ready for the season) and the younger teams ( like GB every year it seems) is one of the more younger teams and they miss much needed practice to get the NFL style down,adapt to the speed,learn complex systems by doing and learning,so Vet teams should get the early and upper jump and maybe the younger team may have the advantage toward the end ( unless you buy the thought of vets also know how to pace themselves better during the season) and rookies have to learn the ins and outs.
Reggie2-2

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

The Pass Defense doesn't have a problem GBP FAN??
Ohh thats right, according to you, sportswriters dont know what there talking and or writing about!
So the following article from a professional that makes his living covering sports knows nothing and you know it all??!! As i said before- you are a clueless nut!!

Found 1 day ago on Fox Sports Wisconsin:

Passing Defense: D Drew Brees absolutely lit up the Packers, throwing for 446 yards and completing 35 of his 54 pass attempts, with three touchdown passes and no interceptions. Wide receiver Marques Colston had a huge game, catching nine passes for 153 yards and one touchdown. Tight end Jimmy Graham was frequently open downfield, hauling in seven throws for 67 yards. The one big mistake by Green Bay's defense was an 80-yard touchdown completion from Brees to rookie Joe Morgan, who only had one catch in his NFL career (a pass for five yards) prior to Sunday's game. The Packers' zone coverage broke down and Morgan had no green and gold jerseys in front of him as he ran towards the endzone. When Brees had a pass tipped in the second half, it was indicative of the Packers' day in the secondary that Tramon Williams and Morgan Burnett collided with each other while going for an easy interception. Both players looked at each other afterwards, making it clear that no one called for it. Those are the types of errors that -- when playing against an offense as explosive as the Saints -- Green Bay's defense just can't make. The theme of the Packers' struggles last season in allowing more passing yards than any team in NFL history was miscommunication. On Sunday, those issues reappeared in a major way. The one redeeming factor of Green Bay's defensive woes in 2011 was that it still created a lot of turnovers. But against New Orleans, the Packers gave up a ton of passing yards while not forcing a single turnover. It is not usually possible to win games like that, so Green Bay may be fortunate to have escaped with the win.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

Reggie 2-2 wrote:
Laughing Bear Fan wrote -"Rex Ryan will trade next year's entire draft for Romo"
You know who rex ryan is on here- GBP FAN because he knows everything just like Rex.
Rex thinks hes god allmighty just like GBP fan.
Your wrong and hes right even though the rest of the sportsworld sees otherwise.
ALL Hail REX RYAN aka GBP FAN
Take off the skirt. Are we going to be forced to endure your Midol moments the entire season?

BTW chickenshit, when are you going to answer my question? If the Packers NEED to improve their pass defense so much, then it should be easy for you to tell me how much better than the 6th ranked pass defense is needed.
Wins and Stats

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Stats are overrated...

'D Drew Brees absolutely lit up the Packers, throwing for 446 yards and completing 35 of his 54 pass attempts'...and left town with a 4th loss in a row....
Football Sabermetrics

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Wins and Stats wrote:
Stats are overrated...
'D Drew Brees absolutely lit up the Packers, throwing for 446 yards and completing 35 of his 54 pass attempts'...and left town with a 4th loss in a row....
...and Brees had 3 Tds and 0 INTs

Tannehill threw for 431 yards and completed 26 of 41 passes against Arizona and the Fins still found a way to lose. One itty bitty problem was T-hill had 2x as many INTs as TDs--2 to 1.
DA BEARS FAN

Lake In The Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
This year we may find out if it's better to have one of the highest scoring offenses in NFL history combined with a bottom defense, like last year, OR a top ranked defense with an offense that isn't very productive, like this year. As I constantly point out it isn't about ONE side of the ball. Football is a TEAM game. The goal is end games with more points than the opponent, not to have a high rank for a certain part of the team. I'm confident the coaching staff will make progress improving the offense and defense. Hopefully, the Packers can get to the point where they were much of last season. You know, playing like the best team in the league.
You have the worst defense in the division.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Wins and Stats wrote:
Stats are overrated...
I agree. Stats are overrated. Especially when people focus on one relatively unimportant stat and foget all of the others includuding the most meaningful stat -- THE SCORE!
eric

Pittsville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

We have the worst defense in the division but yet still beat the crap out of the whiner to the point,he whined,pussed,shouldered his LT and made an ass of himself with that puss look on his face and became the laugh of the week.
GBPfan,,GB defense held N.O. offense down just enough they can out score them by 1 pt.For the win,but,the pass defense needs to put pressure on qb's like Brees alot better then they did.The run defense has done a nice job thus far comparing the whole season.If we face passing attacks like N.O.like NYG who step up in the playoffs,SF who will get better passing as the year goes ( unless a serious injury occurs) to many weapons there ( Alex Smith is a good qb,Vernon Davis is terrific! Good WR ect) and if you seen how N.O. used the TE over the middle for a ton of the game,We better make the adjustments and stop it.That goes w/o saying but if they dont do it,then big plays will occur,thats plain fact.YES GB is 2-2 and should be 3-1 w/o the screw job and thats a decent start and Chicago has had a much easier schedule to this point and it will even out over time,so suspect GB will close the gap and they have the tie breaker on Chi. with the win a few weeks back and as for Minnesota,who knows,we knew they would win 6 or so and their offense didnt play real well vs Det.( 20-13 i believe but 2 kick returns for TD,which wont happen many times during the season,and consider Det is 6-10 over the last 16 games,after a 5-0 start in 2011) who knows,but, we do know 1 thing Minnesota is much better defensively and with Adrian Peterson ( less then a year or so from ACL surgery and to rack up 100 yard games is amazing)the offense is be something not to take lightly.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

eric wrote:
We have the worst defense in the division but yet still beat the crap out of the whiner to the point,he whined,pussed,shouldered his LT and made an ass of himself with that puss look on his face and became the laugh of the week.
GBPfan,,GB defense held N.O. offense down just enough they can out score them by 1 pt.For the win,but,the pass defense needs to put pressure on qb's like Brees alot better then they did.The run defense has done a nice job thus far comparing the whole season.If we face passing attacks like N.O.like NYG who step up in the playoffs,SF who will get better passing as the year goes ( unless a serious injury occurs) to many weapons there ( Alex Smith is a good qb,Vernon Davis is terrific! Good WR ect) and if you seen how N.O. used the TE over the middle for a ton of the game,We better make the adjustments and stop it.That goes w/o saying but if they dont do it,then big plays will occur,thats plain fact.YES GB is 2-2 and should be 3-1 w/o the screw job and thats a decent start and Chicago has had a much easier schedule to this point and it will even out over time,so suspect GB will close the gap and they have the tie breaker on Chi. with the win a few weeks back and as for Minnesota,who knows,we knew they would win 6 or so and their offense didnt play real well vs Det.( 20-13 i believe but 2 kick returns for TD,which wont happen many times during the season,and consider Det is 6-10 over the last 16 games,after a 5-0 start in 2011) who knows,but, we do know 1 thing Minnesota is much better defensively and with Adrian Peterson ( less then a year or so from ACL surgery and to rack up 100 yard games is amazing)the offense is be something not to take lightly.
Obviously the Packers don't need to hold Drew Brees down any better than it did. WE WON! And that was despite the fact that the Saints received considerable help from the refs as has been well documented and pointed out on ESPN all week. Didn't you watch the game?

By the way, the Vikings defense is ranked one spot higher than the Packers. The other teams in the division are ranked lower! Before you simply accept the things that stupid people say, you should look it up! And the Packer pass defense is ranked the highest of any team in the division, 8 spots HIGHER than the Viking pass defense and 12 spots HIGHER than the Bear's pass defense.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

If a team NEEDS a better pass defense than the Packers in order to win in the playoffs, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the Vikings, Bears and Lions have zero chance in the playoffs. The next closest to the Packer pass defense is the Vikings and they are 8 spots back!

So I guess it's good news to learn that the Packers NEED to improve theirpass defense.
eric

Pittsville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Sounds much like last years arugment or discussion between us..This years defense is light years better then last years for sure! I watched the game start to finish and i realize what happened,thing is,we gave up a few to many 3rd and longs and YES we won ( bottom line) but much like last year,we won alot of those games as well,but, come playoff time,giving up the big plays ended our season on the wrong side of the score board.Granted it was the eventual Champions and a damn good football team but it did bite us on the backside,so they have to make their adjustments and cut it back a bit.Every team needs to make adjustments,improvments ect,thats a given and that is GB's cut back on giving up the 3rd and longs ( and again not to many offenses are as good as N.O.) but in the playoffs,teams like NY step up so it cant be discounted.IF we reach the SB,,then you face greats like Brady and NE, Baltimore,Houston Texans but first you have to go thru the NFC with teams like NYG,SF,( I doubt N.O. this year unless they really start rolling and winning the next 11 of 12 or so) ATL all these teams can really throw the ball around and all these teams ( with a exception of NE) are very solid defenesively and we wont be lighting them up for a ton of points and all these teams can throw,so improvment should be made..YES, i get it,we were ranked last in defense last year and in hthe middle upper half this year but again,giving up many 3rd and longs are or isnt a great sign.We won by scoring 28 and allowing 27 YES,but, who is to say next time we wont score 28 and allow 30 or in a playoff score only 24 instead? Just saying, they have done a nice job so far and is a 2-2 team who is unofficially a 3-1 team but clean it up a bit and increase our chance of success.
Smert Shpionam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

eric wrote:
We have the worst defense in the division
Cheatriots went to the Super Bowl with a 29th ranked D one season...but they lost...lol...
Gulf Coast Offense

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Smert Shpionam wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheatriots went to the Super Bowl with a 29th ranked D one season...but they lost...lol...
Yep, this is now a QBs league. Pitch and catch dominates. You wanna see smash mouth ground+pound and stout D battles watch college football, or 1990s and earlier NFL film. The biggest concern for Defenses has become the pass rush. Run D has become less important as the running game has fallen out of favor, and heaven forbid your secondary should breathe on a WR.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

eric wrote:
Sounds much like last years arugment or discussion between us..This years defense is light years better then last years for sure! I watched the game start to finish and i realize what happened,thing is,we gave up a few to many 3rd and longs and YES we won ( bottom line) but much like last year,we won alot of those games as well,but, come playoff time,giving up the big plays ended our season on the wrong side of the score board.Granted it was the eventual Champions and a damn good football team but it did bite us on the backside,so they have to make their adjustments and cut it back a bit.Every team needs to make adjustments,improvments ect,thats a given and that is GB's cut back on giving up the 3rd and longs ( and again not to many offenses are as good as N.O.) but in the playoffs,teams like NY step up so it cant be discounted.IF we reach the SB,,then you face greats like Brady and NE, Baltimore,Houston Texans but first you have to go thru the NFC with teams like NYG,SF,( I doubt N.O. this year unless they really start rolling and winning the next 11 of 12 or so) ATL all these teams can really throw the ball around and all these teams ( with a exception of NE) are very solid defenesively and we wont be lighting them up for a ton of points and all these teams can throw,so improvment should be made..YES, i get it,we were ranked last in defense last year and in hthe middle upper half this year but again,giving up many 3rd and longs are or isnt a great sign.We won by scoring 28 and allowing 27 YES,but, who is to say next time we wont score 28 and allow 30 or in a playoff score only 24 instead? Just saying, they have done a nice job so far and is a 2-2 team who is unofficially a 3-1 team but clean it up a bit and increase our chance of success.
The Packers certainly gave up more big plays against the Saints than any player, fan or coach would like to see. But that isn't the point. Last year we did win many games when the defense did give up big plays. However, we WON the vast amajority of those games including one against the Giants in their stadium. The problem wasn't that the Packer defense gave up too many bigs plays. It could just as easily be said that the Packer offense didn't make enough big plays. The Packers DID beat the Giants. The problem was they did it the first meeting instead of the second. People act as though there was no way the Packers could beat the Giants. That is ridiculous given the fact that the Packers did beat the Giants. And that was with last year's 32nd ranked pass defense. This year the Packers have the 6th ranked pass defense! How much better do you think it needs to be for the Packers to be able to win in the playoffs?

I said before this season started that the Packers made moves that should improve the defense. I cautioned everybody that you should not expect immediate results because of the fact that many new and inexperienced players were going to be incorporated into the defense. AMAZINGLY the Packers have improved the defense tremendously already. Think about it. If the defense can go from the 32nd ranked pass defense to the 6th in the first month of the season, imagine how good it might be by playoff time. The improvement so far has been nothing less than spectacular. It's ridiculous to panic over Drew Brees (aided by the refs) doing to the Packers what he does to every team. It's foolish to focus on one game, especially a win. The defense had nothing to do with the refs mistakes or Harrell's fumble. Eliminate those mistakes and the game wouldn't have been close.
Pink Flags

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

I do get sick of whiny WR's who complain to refs after a failed pass play "he had his index finger on my jersey"...then get the penalty called...
Fleur-De-Piss

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

Judged:

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Packers certainly gave up more big plays against the Saints than any player, fan or coach would like to see. But that isn't the point.
It really isnt...the Saints being 0-4 is very odd but Brees (3rd in TDs thrown) and the offense is still very good...their defense blows goats...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••