Astronomers discover first Thorne-Zyt...

Astronomers discover first Thorne-Zytkow object, a bizarre type of hybrid star

There are 1 comment on the Astronomy story from Jun 9, 2014, titled Astronomers discover first Thorne-Zytkow object, a bizarre type of hybrid star. In it, Astronomy reports that:

In a discovery decades in the making, scientists have detected the first of a "theoretical" class of stars first proposed in 1975 by physicist Kip Thorne and astronomer Anna Zytkow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Astronomy.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Level 3

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Jun 11, 2014
Hmm. interesting.

To produce the object at all the companion that swallowed the neutron star must have been H or He burning @ most and be over 10 solar masses. Any smaller & the companion's outer layers would have been blown away by accretion onto the neutron star resulting in an LMXB system similar to the Black widows.

Expect as a result a red supergiant luminosity similar to VVcep or Mu cep rather than Betelgeuse (-7 rather than -5) May also stand more chance of producing yellow or white supergiants as a TZO.

The Metal abundances may also have been produced by the accretion of the inner layers of the SN that produced the neutron star.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 6 min eleanorigby 40,761
What Could Be Hot? 7 min Sublime1 157
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min Igor Trip 164,424
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 10 min Hoosier Hillbilly 31,986
unjumble - jumble 6 letter words 13 min Hoosier Hillbilly 358
BAN(N) the P0STER Above you !!! (Feb '14) 14 min Brandiiiiiiii 4,608
Last Post Wins! (Aug '08) 14 min tiger_-_dad 140,480
News New and Totally Bizarre Baby Names 33 min Pat Robertson s F... 5
News Village Cites Resident for Having Beehives With... 57 min SLY WEST 9
News 'Father' Marries His 'Son' 2 hr Pat Robertson s F... 16