“Colorful Beyond Words”

Level 10

Since: May 11

"True Love Never Ends "

#14235 Mar 4, 2014
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>Spring for some will have sprung floods when the thick ice and snow melt.
I saw where these huge ice packs are breaking lose and moving down rivers and such... gonna be another terrible time for many :(

“Insert useless statement here.”

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#14236 Mar 4, 2014
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>You trying to see how regular folk feel in the winter? lol
If i didn't have to fly up to NY for a funeral, I wouldn't have gone!

As soon as I stepped out of the airport, I was hit in the face with the cold of coldest air possible. It took my breathe away. I had to walk about a block to my rental car.(dashboard said 11 degrees, don't know the windchill factor) I was almost in tears. No hat, gloves, scarf...or even the proper winter jacket. The car doors were frozen shut and I couldn't open them at first. So picture me jumping up and down trying to keep warm and fighting with a car door to open. Then when I got inside....the car wouldn't warm up. I pulled out eventually. Then I'm on the highway and all the bells and whistles start going on in the dashboard. I did a u-turn immediately and had to go through the above ordeal all over again.

That's when I came to this conclusion....This is bullsh@t and I am never ever coming back during the winter!!!

Talking with family and friends I told them ...I am never coming back unless I have too. If they miss me so much they need to visit me at my home.

One thing I did notice, everyone was short fused and rude. They were pissed at me for having a tan.(really?) They are all tired of the brutal winter and took it out on me ;)

So you and the regular folk can keep the cold weather to yourselves. No need to share it.

Level 5

Location hidden

#14237 Mar 4, 2014
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>At least we don't have to worry about a big hole opening up beneath our feet! lol
No sink holes where I live.(knock on wood)
Jolly

Corning, NY

#14238 Mar 4, 2014
Sorry, Chris, but I'm chuckling here! Visiting NY in the winter and not wearing enough warm clothes isn't a valid reason for saying "BS, I'm not coming back!" LOL That would be like if I visited FL in the summer and only packed heavy slacks and woolen sweaters to wear.

I hear you, though, on how brutal the cold has been up here this winter. This has been just like the winters of 20+ years ago, with all the snow & ice & below zero temp's for weeks. BRRR! Still, I choose to live here, rather than down south, because I'd rather put on extra clothing to keep warm, instead of sweating it out for 6 months every year and feeling like a sticky dishrag everytime I go outdoors.(Been there, done that first in FL and later on in TX, due to corporate transfers.)

Enjoy the warmth where you are now! Freedom to choose is a great freedom to have.

Just putting in my 2 cents, in a friendly way...-- Jolly of "Antarctica, NY")

:o )

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14239 Mar 4, 2014
Jolly wrote:
Sorry, Chris, but I'm chuckling here! Visiting NY in the winter and not wearing enough warm clothes isn't a valid reason for saying "BS, I'm not coming back!" LOL That would be like if I visited FL in the summer and only packed heavy slacks and woolen sweaters to wear.
I hear you, though, on how brutal the cold has been up here this winter. This has been just like the winters of 20+ years ago, with all the snow & ice & below zero temp's for weeks. BRRR! Still, I choose to live here, rather than down south, because I'd rather put on extra clothing to keep warm, instead of sweating it out for 6 months every year and feeling like a sticky dishrag everytime I go outdoors.(Been there, done that first in FL and later on in TX, due to corporate transfers.)
Enjoy the warmth where you are now! Freedom to choose is a great freedom to have.
There's a happy medium between the two. It's called North Carolina.:)

It was 69 on Sunday and we got a small ice/snow storm last night. That's probably what I like most, tho, is even in January or February, it's not uncommon to get a day in the 60s, sometimes low 70s out of the blue. Just one day, can make a long winter more tolerable.

We sometimes get snow, but we don't really get the prolonged brutal cold spells or much snow. I also think the summers in Chicago that I grew up with are just as humid if not more humid than here. We have a longer fall and a longer spring and much more mild winters, than Chicago too.

I will likely never move back, which is odd, because I used to love it and thought it was a great place to live.
Jolly

Corning, NY

#14240 Mar 4, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a happy medium between the two. It's called North Carolina.:)
It was 69 on Sunday and we got a small ice/snow storm last night. That's probably what I like most, tho, is even in January or February, it's not uncommon to get a day in the 60s, sometimes low 70s out of the blue. Just one day, can make a long winter more tolerable.
We sometimes get snow, but we don't really get the prolonged brutal cold spells or much snow. I also think the summers in Chicago that I grew up with are just as humid if not more humid than here. We have a longer fall and a longer spring and much more mild winters, than Chicago too.
I will likely never move back, which is odd, because I used to love it and thought it was a great place to live.
I've heard that about NC's climate! Any place with 4 different seasons (that aren't brutal) is good, in my book. The seashore down there is a draw, too, as we (family & I) spent a week last June playing in the waves at Ocean Isle.

NC is definitely a contender, for a retirement destination.

“For F***'s Sake”

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Tanner Flats

#14241 Mar 4, 2014
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>If i didn't have to fly up to NY for a funeral, I wouldn't have gone!
As soon as I stepped out of the airport, I was hit in the face with the cold of coldest air possible. It took my breathe away. I had to walk about a block to my rental car.(dashboard said 11 degrees, don't know the windchill factor) I was almost in tears. No hat, gloves, scarf...or even the proper winter jacket. The car doors were frozen shut and I couldn't open them at first. So picture me jumping up and down trying to keep warm and fighting with a car door to open. Then when I got inside....the car wouldn't warm up. I pulled out eventually. Then I'm on the highway and all the bells and whistles start going on in the dashboard. I did a u-turn immediately and had to go through the above ordeal all over again.
That's when I came to this conclusion....This is bullsh@t and I am never ever coming back during the winter!!!
Talking with family and friends I told them ...I am never coming back unless I have too. If they miss me so much they need to visit me at my home.
One thing I did notice, everyone was short fused and rude. They were pissed at me for having a tan.(really?) They are all tired of the brutal winter and took it out on me ;)
So you and the regular folk can keep the cold weather to yourselves. No need to share it.
Back in '04, I had to go to banks Alaska Fairbanks in the middle of December for a job. 40 below zero, with no wind (thank God). It was definitely more than I bargained for! LOL

“268th Attack Hel Bn”

Level 8

Since: May 07

AH-1S Cobra

#14242 Mar 4, 2014
Eh? 4 below is a "dry cold" so it's not too bad.....lol
You can always put on more clothes...but you can only get so naked before the cops get involved.
Oh, and then there are the hurricanes.
I'll take NH.

Level 8

Location hidden

#14243 Mar 4, 2014
Jolly wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard that about NC's climate! Any place with 4 different seasons (that aren't brutal) is good, in my book. The seashore down there is a draw, too, as we (family & I) spent a week last June playing in the waves at Ocean Isle.
NC is definitely a contender, for a retirement destination.
The ocean and there are the mountains. I'm about 1 hour to an hour and a half to the mountains and about 3 hours to 3.5 to the ocean. We are pretty happy here. I'd recommend it to others.
Jolly

Corning, NY

#14244 Mar 4, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The ocean and there are the mountains. I'm about 1 hour to an hour and a half to the mountains and about 3 hours to 3.5 to the ocean. We are pretty happy here. I'd recommend it to others.
Sounds good to me. We have friends living in Boone and in Durham and they all are very happy that they moved there, as well.

Currently, we're living in a valley with foothills all around and the ski slopes are only a 45 mins. drive away. The ocean, unfortunately, is over a 6 hrs. drive from here. Oh well. We got spoiled living 1/2 hr. from the Atlantic, years ago! Back then, "vacation" meant packing a lunch and heading to the beaches, practically every weekend.

Thanks for the "tour" of NC!

Level 8

Location hidden

#14245 Mar 4, 2014
Jolly wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds good to me. We have friends living in Boone and in Durham and they all are very happy that they moved there, as well.

Currently, we're living in a valley with foothills all around and the ski slopes are only a 45 mins. drive away. The ocean, unfortunately, is over a 6 hrs. drive from here. Oh well. We got spoiled living 1/2 hr. from the Atlantic, years ago! Back then, "vacation" meant packing a lunch and heading to the beaches, practically every weekend.

Thanks for the "tour" of NC!
You're welcome. It's nice that you are close to skiing.

Being able to ski is one thing I really miss. We moved here from just outside boulder, Co. We'd go skiing every weekend during the winter and my youngest was skiing blue diamonds at the age of 3 or 4, lol. That would probably be one of the few places Id leave NC to go back to. We really liked it.

I'm kind of in the middle between Boone and Durham. I like Boone and Asheville a lot. Asheville is our kinda town, as was Boulder. Raleigh-Durham area is nice too. If I had my druthers, i'd probably rather live in either of those areas, but where we are at is nice too.

Level 5

Location hidden

#14246 Mar 5, 2014
Jolly wrote:
Jolly, feeling those bitter temps is a valid reason for me and the hubby not to go back to New York in the WINTER. How quickly I was reminded why I left in the first place. Immediately the chill set in my spine and I couldn't shake it. My back was killing me! At that point, no matter how many layers of clothing I had on...wouldn't have helped.

You know a death in one's family isn't planned. We weren't properly prepared. The day before our flight I went to the mall and a lot of stores and couldn't find winter apparel (hat, gloves, scarves and thermals) Nothing!!

Everyone says that Florida in the summer is hotter than NY. That's not true. I fly up to NYC every summer. It's hotter and more humid.

I live on the ocean and have the breeze. Now, I wouldn't live in places like Orlando....there's no air there...hot as hell. I will agree with the feeling of a sticky dish rag (good analogy..lol) It all depends on whether you live inland or on the coast.

I love it when my parents who live in Las Vegas tell me 117 degrees is a dry heat. I've been there also in their summers. 117 degrees is still 117 degrees!!

Don't get me wrong, I love New York City. I miss the hustle and bustle, the food and the night life. Just not during the winter. My blood has thinned out and my body has adapted to the climate here. So, I get my NYC fix in the summer. lol

Level 5

Location hidden

#14247 Mar 5, 2014
Good Morning Everyone. It's Hump Day!

Level 5

Location hidden

#14248 Mar 5, 2014
A woman came home, screeching her car into the driveway, and ran into the house..
She slammed the door and shouted at the top of her lungs,'Honey, pack your bags. I won the lottery!'
The husband said,'Oh my God! What should I pack, beach stuff or mountain stuff?'

'Doesn't matter,' she said.'Just get out.

lol
Jolly

Corning, NY

#14249 Mar 5, 2014
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>Jolly, feeling those bitter temps is a valid reason for me and the hubby not to go back to New York in the WINTER. How quickly I was reminded why I left in the first place. Immediately the chill set in my spine and I couldn't shake it. My back was killing me! At that point, no matter how many layers of clothing I had on...wouldn't have helped.
You know a death in one's family isn't planned. We weren't properly prepared. The day before our flight I went to the mall and a lot of stores and couldn't find winter apparel (hat, gloves, scarves and thermals) Nothing!!
Everyone says that Florida in the summer is hotter than NY. That's not true. I fly up to NYC every summer. It's hotter and more humid.
I live on the ocean and have the breeze. Now, I wouldn't live in places like Orlando....there's no air there...hot as hell. I will agree with the feeling of a sticky dish rag (good analogy..lol) It all depends on whether you live inland or on the coast.
I love it when my parents who live in Las Vegas tell me 117 degrees is a dry heat. I've been there also in their summers. 117 degrees is still 117 degrees!!
Don't get me wrong, I love New York City. I miss the hustle and bustle, the food and the night life. Just not during the winter. My blood has thinned out and my body has adapted to the climate here. So, I get my NYC fix in the summer. lol
hi Chris: Sorry for your loss. Things get hectic, when one is faced with last minute travel arrangements and it seems all you have time to do is throw whatever clothes are handy into a suitcase. As for finding cold weather clothing down South: ha! It's easier to find the proverbial needle in a haystack (pardon the cliche).

Agree: Heat is still heat, whether it's moist or dry. And, as you said, it can get pretty sticky up here in NYS, too.

I lived outside of Tampa for 4 years & summers felt like living in a blast furnace. Even swimming in the Gulf of Mexico didn't help, as the water in the summer there felt like bath water. LOL We still visit our longtime friends there, though, and enjoy going to our old haunts (restaurants, etc.).

Again, sorry for your loss. We had a family loss last March, and I found myself throwing things into a suitcase that my husband forgot to pack in his, as he left for the funeral a couple of days before I was able to.

p.s. We also lived in TX, several years after FL, and finding warm jackets for the kids was a challenge, as the stores either didn't carry them, or else only carried a limited # so they wouldn't get stuck with "leftover" merchandise at the end of the winter season. What-the-heck?! We lived in northern TX, where ice storms are common and warm clothing is definitely needed. Oh well. It's sure nice to be back "home" in the Northeast, where winter clothing is readily available in the stores.

Enjoy the day!

Level 5

Location hidden

#14250 Mar 5, 2014
Jolly wrote:
<quoted text>
hi Chris: Sorry for your loss. Things get hectic, when one is faced with last minute travel arrangements and it seems all you have time to do is throw whatever clothes are handy into a suitcase. As for finding cold weather clothing down South: ha! It's easier to find the proverbial needle in a haystack (pardon the cliche).
Agree: Heat is still heat, whether it's moist or dry. And, as you said, it can get pretty sticky up here in NYS, too.
I lived outside of Tampa for 4 years & summers felt like living in a blast furnace. Even swimming in the Gulf of Mexico didn't help, as the water in the summer there felt like bath water. LOL We still visit our longtime friends there, though, and enjoy going to our old haunts (restaurants, etc.).
Again, sorry for your loss. We had a family loss last March, and I found myself throwing things into a suitcase that my husband forgot to pack in his, as he left for the funeral a couple of days before I was able to.
p.s. We also lived in TX, several years after FL, and finding warm jackets for the kids was a challenge, as the stores either didn't carry them, or else only carried a limited # so they wouldn't get stuck with "leftover" merchandise at the end of the winter season. What-the-heck?! We lived in northern TX, where ice storms are common and warm clothing is definitely needed. Oh well. It's sure nice to be back "home" in the Northeast, where winter clothing is readily available in the stores.
Enjoy the day!
A few hours before the funeral, hubby and I went to several stores to seek hats,gloves and etc. Know what they had?? Bathing suits and summer items on the shelves! In February! All while a mean winter storm was fast approaching!!! I asked if there were any in the stores...maybe on clearance. Nope...only found a baseball hat. We were SOL. lol

As soon as I came home...I immediately ordered all my winter necessitates online. I will be better prepared if I have to go again.

Level 5

Location hidden

#14251 Mar 5, 2014
Jolly, you enjoy the day also.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#14252 Mar 5, 2014
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw where these huge ice packs are breaking lose and moving down rivers and such... gonna be another terrible time for many :(
Yep, but the good thing is everyone has time to pack and get out of the way downstream,, I think?

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#14253 Mar 5, 2014
Jolly wrote:
Woo wooo wooooo, who do we have here........JOLLY!

Did you get lost? lol

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#14254 Mar 5, 2014
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>If i didn't have to fly up to NY for a funeral, I wouldn't have gone!
Hahaha (sorry)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Five Letter Word (Jan '12) 6 min Crazy Jae 2,133
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 7 min Times are a Changing 147,709
What ?? are you thinking about NOW? 2014 12 min Princess Hey 455
Funny!! Word association game. (Nov '13) 14 min Mark 1,729
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 20 min ---Word Woman--- 21,395
Missing posters.. (Jan '14) 20 min wichita-rick 32
Add a word and drop a word (Jan '14) 36 min CJ Rocker 1,422
Ebola in America 2 hr Law D Doll 37
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 2 hr Law D Doll 6,418

Weird People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE