There goes the neighborhood!

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#13126 Sep 26, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
Good Morning Ricky, Hatti and everyone.
No big plans this weekend. We just bought a new 200 hp Johnson motor for our boat. I foresee us spending the entire weekend at my friends mechanic shop.
Nothing ever comes easy. I am predicting some problems taking off the 150 hp Johnson. Salt water probably rusted and fused all the bolts and screws. Should be fun. Lucky me! Woo hoo! lol
I surely hope that everyone else has fun for me!
It's a pain, even with an engine hoist. At least on my boat it was way more difficult getting it off than on. On mine, the bolts tended to get wedged in the holes in the transom. The same thing happened when I put it back on, but it was easier to hammer them in from the outside of the boat than from down under the back deck near the motor ... I only have small access doors to that part of the boat.(I was wishing I had a midget that I could fit down in there to give me a hand).

The starter pinion just went out on mine ... it kept getting stuck and would not come up to engage the flywheel when starting the engine. I could still start it, but I'd have to go back and wiggle the starter pinion with a screw driver and that would work for one start attempt. I ordered a new pinion, but haven't put it on yet (it's not that hard ... just need to pop off the fly wheel). I'm not sure we will make it out on the lake again this year. It's been unseasonably cool since the end of August.

I think we are going to have a cold winter ... our summer was not terribly hot and fall weather has come early. A bit cool beats being too hot and humid, if you ask me.

“Don't worry about me, I"m fine”

Level 5

Since: Aug 13

middle of nowhere

#13128 Sep 26, 2013
Good morning to all!

Level 8

Location hidden

#13130 Sep 26, 2013
bourgeoisie blue bell wrote:
Washing machine shopping online. When I pick one, all I have to do is get it delivered, hooked up and the old one hauled away. Someone suggested a front loading Maytag. I think they run about $700.00 plus delivery.
Any suggestions or experiences with the washing machine routine?
My only recommendation is to do your research. A lot of appliances today are almost disposable in nature.

We have a GE Profile fridge that we started having problems with after 2 years. It's about 2k for that fridge too. Our neighbors have the same type and has exactly the same problems as we have. It's a piece of garbage.

The guy who serviced it recommended Whirlpool appliances if you want good quality. Having said that, we have a Whirlpool washer and drier and I had to change out the springs in the washer (it was a pretty easy fix, but I did it myself ... If I had someone else do it, it probably would have cost a couple hundred, instead of what we paid (don't remember exactly, but less than $50)), but other than that we have been pretty happy with them, and they get A LOT OF USE, with our boys.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#13131 Sep 26, 2013
when was the last time you saw a Maytag repair man .......... hell he doesn't even make a commercial and more ....

advantage of a front load, it tumbles not spin or agitate

“Insert useless statement here.”

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#13132 Sep 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a pain, even with an engine hoist. At least on my boat it was way more difficult getting it off than on. On mine, the bolts tended to get wedged in the holes in the transom. The same thing happened when I put it back on, but it was easier to hammer them in from the outside of the boat than from down under the back deck near the motor ... I only have small access doors to that part of the boat.(I was wishing I had a midget that I could fit down in there to give me a hand).
The starter pinion just went out on mine ... it kept getting stuck and would not come up to engage the flywheel when starting the engine. I could still start it, but I'd have to go back and wiggle the starter pinion with a screw driver and that would work for one start attempt. I ordered a new pinion, but haven't put it on yet (it's not that hard ... just need to pop off the fly wheel). I'm not sure we will make it out on the lake again this year. It's been unseasonably cool since the end of August.
I think we are going to have a cold winter ... our summer was not terribly hot and fall weather has come early. A bit cool beats being too hot and humid, if you ask me.
I think the guys are using a forklift as an engine hoist. I must admit, all of what you said...I am lost!(sorry) I know nothing about boat motors. I only know how to drive the boat. I am just going to be there to make sure that these guys don't damage it. Right now there's dirty hand prints all over the back. So come Monday, I know what I will be doing, scrubbing and waxing.
We'd like to take the boat out sometime on Sunday to give the new motor a try. Not too sure, because our fall and winter months have a lot of wind. I don't go out if the seas are above 2-3's. Temps are great for boating, if there's no wind. Sunday's boating forecast...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET, CHOPPY ON THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS.
Prediction...I will turn green! lol

“I Make you wonder”

Level 7

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#13133 Sep 26, 2013
Look who just moved in.

“....VETS”

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#13134 Sep 26, 2013
buy a commercial they are designed for a life time...cost $500 more but will be the last one you will buy

Level 8

Location hidden

#13135 Sep 26, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>I think the guys are using a forklift as an engine hoist. I must admit, all of what you said...I am lost!(sorry) I know nothing about boat motors. I only know how to drive the boat. I am just going to be there to make sure that these guys don't damage it. Right now there's dirty hand prints all over the back. So come Monday, I know what I will be doing, scrubbing and waxing.
We'd like to take the boat out sometime on Sunday to give the new motor a try. Not too sure, because our fall and winter months have a lot of wind. I don't go out if the seas are above 2-3's. Temps are great for boating, if there's no wind. Sunday's boating forecast...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET, CHOPPY ON THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS.
A forklift will work ... I went out and bought an engine hoist from harbor freight for I think a little more than $100. Works just as good as a more expensive one (harbor freight is great for certain types of cheapo specialty tools that aren't going to be used a lot).

I think it is good to know some basics about a boat, especially the motor if you are going to be out on the water Ö especially the ocean. I take it you don't go out by yourself,tho. Iíve kind of just figured things out on my own, but if I didnít do so, I would have spent a fortune paying others to do things for me Ö a lot of it is easy too Ö just takes some knowhow and sometimes some muscle. There are also times when we would have had to call someone to come get us on the water or we would not have made it off the dock, if I didn't know what was up and how to address it.

Iíve done it, while fishing, but I donít like to go out if there are too many whitecaps. I donít do the ocean, tho Ö I only go on lakes. Iíve been out in early December, fishing all night, when it was below freezing, whitecaps, and the boat was icing up. My buddy and I looked at each other and said, man we are some crazy a$s hardcore fishermen. No one else was out on the lake Ö we had snowmobile suits on, hats, and gloves, lol.

“268th Attack Hel Bn”

Level 8

Since: May 07

AH-1S Cobra

#13136 Sep 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a boat guy......
Next time you have to yank that engine try picking up one of these from Hapbor Freight. It really helps being able to adjust the hanging angle going into and out of the tiny little hole Marine engineers figure is enough.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/pr...

Level 8

Location hidden

#13138 Sep 26, 2013
Rotor Head wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a boat guy......
Next time you have to yank that engine try picking up one of these from Hapbor Freight. It really helps being able to adjust the hanging angle going into and out of the tiny little hole Marine engineers figure is enough.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/pr...
Now you tell me!! LOL.

That's exactly what I needed.

Chris, have your hubby get one of those for the project if he doesn't have one already ... It will make it much easier.

I was a man on a mission the night I took mine off. I didn't have any help (My buddy came over and helped me get it back on). By myself, I could not get those darn bolts out of the transom because they were so wedged. It was pretty late at night and I asked my wife to come out and try and straighten out the motor to release some of force the motor was applying to the bolts and causing them to wedge. It took a little bit of muscle on her part and she ended up getting grease all over her nightgown. Let's just say she wasn't too happy with me that night, lol.

Level 8

Location hidden

#13139 Sep 26, 2013
bourgeoisie blue bell wrote:
<quoted text>
When we were buying a washer and dryer, I specifically stated Whirlpool, but my cheap charlie got a Frigidaire washer and dryer. I don't know what he paid for it, but the dryer ruined a bunch of clothes. He kept telling me i just didn't know how to use it. Now the washing machine is spitting water on the floor in the front. I don't want to try to repair it. The dryer did last 7-8 years and the washing machine longer than that. Any idea what makes them spit water and leak out the front? I'd be willing to give it to someone if they wanted to figure out what is wrong with it, but I think it may have seen better days. We had to buy knobs for it too. Junky.
It's probably just a leak in a hose or a hose that is not connected properly to a fitting. A hose might have backed off ... sometimes washers vibrate a lot, especially when a load is off balance. When does it leak water? When water is supposed to be filling the drum? Does it leak when you just use cold water? Does it leak when it is draining the drum? By noticing when it is leaking and under what circumstances, you can probably figure out what exact hose is causing the problem.

If your man goes on youtube or the internet, there will probably be a video on how to open it up and take a look. Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't spring for a new one, because it sounds like it could be a really easy fix.

I had never worked on one before I had to take mine a part. They are really quite simple machines. Pretty much just a motor, some hoses, valves to control water flow, a big drum that you put your clothes in, and an electronic board to control everything.

Mine had a funky 4 spring balancing system to when spinning ... the springs weren't working right and the thing would not even spin out without getting unbalanced even with really small loads. It was driving my wife nuts. She was happy when I fixed it.

Level 5

Location hidden

#13140 Sep 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you tell me!! LOL.
That's exactly what I needed.
Chris, have your hubby get one of those for the project if he doesn't have one already ... It will make it much easier.
I was a man on a mission the night I took mine off. I didn't have any help (My buddy came over and helped me get it back on). By myself, I could not get those darn bolts out of the transom because they were so wedged. It was pretty late at night and I asked my wife to come out and try and straighten out the motor to release some of force the motor was applying to the bolts and causing them to wedge. It took a little bit of muscle on her part and she ended up getting grease all over her nightgown. Let's just say she wasn't too happy with me that night, lol.
Thanks Rotor & Sublime, I've saved the pic and will show hubby when he comes home from work. We have harbor freight about 15 minutes from the house. It's worth having around.

Level 5

Location hidden

#13141 Sep 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A forklift will work ... I went out and bought an engine hoist from harbor freight for I think a little more than $100. Works just as good as a more expensive one (harbor freight is great for certain types of cheapo specialty tools that aren't going to be used a lot).
I think it is good to know some basics about a boat, especially the motor if you are going to be out on the water Ö especially the ocean. I take it you don't go out by yourself,tho. Iíve kind of just figured things out on my own, but if I didnít do so, I would have spent a fortune paying others to do things for me Ö a lot of it is easy too Ö just takes some knowhow and sometimes some muscle. There are also times when we would have had to call someone to come get us on the water or we would not have made it off the dock, if I didn't know what was up and how to address it.
Iíve done it, while fishing, but I donít like to go out if there are too many whitecaps. I donít do the ocean, tho Ö I only go on lakes. Iíve been out in early December, fishing all night, when it was below freezing, whitecaps, and the boat was icing up. My buddy and I looked at each other and said, man we are some crazy a$s hardcore fishermen. No one else was out on the lake Ö we had snowmobile suits on, hats, and gloves, lol.
I will have to agree that you and your buddy are some crazy a$s hardcore fisherman!! I can only imagine what you both looked like. LOL Had this mental image

Sublime, I don't dare go out by myself. My husband does everything on the boat. He knows all the ins and outs. I only help him with driving,anchor line, docking the boat, and helping him put it on the trailer. He says that I am a good "first mate". I leave all the mechanical stuff up to him. We pay for a yearly membership with SeaTow. If we were to break down out in the ocean, call them on the radio.
One day this summer, we were the only idiots out in the ocean, when a quick moving storm rolled in. We tried to go north out of it, but it quickly surrounded us. I had white knuckle syndrome. I was holding on for dear life! A coast guard plane flew low over top of us to make sure we were OK. My husband gave them the thumbs up. Fish were biting like crazy! That's the only bad thing about summer here in Florida, those afternoon storms come in quickly!

Level 8

Location hidden

#13142 Sep 26, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>I will have to agree that you and your buddy are some crazy a$s hardcore fisherman!! I can only imagine what you both looked like. LOL Had this mental image http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HW4IZ0Flh3MXX
Yeah, pretty much, except my snowsuit is real tree camo and no scarf. This was back home, near Chicago Ö not down here. We donít get that cold.

We wore our ice fishing garb. Even more so than ice fishing, you get really cold because you are just sitting on the boat and not moving around. I always like a good pair of boots (I think mine are rated for like 50 below), because your feet tend to get cold first.
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>Sublime, I don't dare go out by myself. My husband does everything on the boat. He knows all the ins and outs. I only help him with driving,anchor line, docking the boat, and helping him put it on the trailer. He says that I am a good "first mate". I leave all the mechanical stuff up to him.
Thatís how my wife and I are, except she doesnít like to drive.
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>We pay for a yearly membership with SeaTow. If we were to break down out in the ocean, call them on the radio.
Thatís good to have. You donít want to mess around out on the ocean.
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>One day this summer, we were the only idiots out in the ocean, when a quick moving storm rolled in. We tried to go north out of it, but it quickly surrounded us. I had white knuckle syndrome. I was holding on for dear life! A coast guard plane flew low over top of us to make sure we were OK. My husband gave them the thumbs up. Fish were biting like crazy! That's the only bad thing about summer here in Florida, those afternoon storms come in quickly!
Yes, you can get in over your head really quickly. Be safe out there.

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

KENTUCKY

#13143 Sep 26, 2013
Applesauce:

Daughter has my phone, Facebook me....

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#13146 Sep 26, 2013
Hello.

Hope ye is well.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#13148 Sep 27, 2013
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
goooooooooooooood morn
Hey Tally, any big plans for the weekend?

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#13149 Sep 27, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
Good Morning Ricky, Hatti and everyone.
No big plans this weekend. We just bought a new 200 hp Johnson motor for our boat. I foresee us spending the entire weekend at my friends mechanic shop.
Nothing ever comes easy. I am predicting some problems taking off the 150 hp Johnson. Salt water probably rusted and fused all the bolts and screws. Should be fun. Lucky me! Woo hoo! lol
I surely hope that everyone else has fun for me!
You have a boat, you live in Florida near water and you DON'T swim?

That's one thing we don't have to worry about, rust!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#13150 Sep 27, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like everyone has had boat problems at one time or another?

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#13151 Sep 27, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>I think the guys are using a forklift as an engine hoist. I must admit, all of what you said...I am lost!(sorry) I know nothing about boat motors. I only know how to drive the boat. I am just going to be there to make sure that these guys don't damage it. Right now there's dirty hand prints all over the back. So come Monday, I know what I will be doing, scrubbing and waxing.
I went jet skiing in those kind of waters in Mexico once and I asked to go way out, they said "sure", so off I went, the water went from brown, dark, tho black (the only way to describe it) and that deep water was like you described and there was furniture floating by and trash as well, so I'm out there riding around jumping those huge waves having a blast and I finally fell off, then I freaked a little because I got to thinking if the jet ski goes over the wave then I can't get back to it, plus the though of being fish food...after that I quit jumping the waves so much lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 20 min Subduction Zone 164,469
2015: "Make a Story/ 6 Words Only: 39 min Brandiiiiiiii 664
News Dying Dog Goes on Epic Bucket List Journey 58 min Stephany McDowell 6
News Swiss Figure Out Why Their Cheese Has Holes 1 hr Stephany McDowell 5
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr wichita-rick 163,088
Things Not To Say In Bed (Oct '11) 1 hr Enzo49 2,942
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 1 hr whatimeisit 8,431
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 2 hr whatimeisit 31,998
News New and Totally Bizarre Baby Names 4 hr Spotted Girl 9
More from around the web