Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#7545 Aug 5, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>we have mosquitoes!
Screened back decks are very nice around here for that reason. It was a big draw to us, when we bought our home.

Down here you at night there is so much noise from all the critters at night. It's like a symphony. I like to just sit out there sometimes

This doesn't even do it justice:

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#7546 Aug 5, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOLOLOL! Those weren't strangers, they were all of the Topix trolls and stalkers!
That's why they were at the holes in the fence looking through lol.

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#7547 Aug 5, 2013
-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Awesome. How are you?
well it's Monday so a little bummed but it's half over now so things are looking up!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#7548 Aug 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like raw tomatoes. My wife does and one of my sons does too (the other two are like me and don't care for them).
I use them to make homemade salsa, tho. I have to cook my salsa, tho. Whatever compound in them that makes them taste bad to me breaks down when they are cooked, which is why I like tomato sauce and things of that nature, but not raw uncooked tomatoes.
It sucks that I'm not getting much. I put a lot of work into it. I even put in an irrigation system, which I didn't need at all this year. I am starting to get some butternut squash, tho, which I love.
I love raw tomatoes!

My grandmother used to pressure cook squash for hours and it was the only way I liked it as a kid, it tasted great and no one has duplicated that taste since. i miss that!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#7549 Aug 5, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
The ride was awesome. Saturday we started out with a cloudy morning. Couldn't see the sunrise. Had a great group to ride with. It took us 4 hours to drive across the state to Florida's west coast. Had an awesome time. Parked our bikes at the hotel, everything was in walking distance. Didn't see our bikes until it was time to head home. Coming home we hit some really nasty weather. Pulled along the side of the road and all suited up with rain gear.
Minutes from our house, my hubby and I were riding along the inter-coastal waterway. Off the corner of our eyes we saw a bike go over the edge. I immediately jumped off the bike even before hubby stopped it. I ran like I've never run before,(my legs are sore today). The bike was wrapped around a telephone pole and the two riders were at the bottom of the 20-30 foot drop. As I'm sliding down the embankment the male rider was climbing up. The left side of his face was so messed up. The female rider still on her back at the bottom. She started to sit up, her left arm was mangled. Got her to her feet and she asked about her bike. I just told her "who cares about your bike, your alive and standing". I managed to get her up the embankment where she goes on to tell me how drunk she is. I WAS LIVID!!! Driving drunk and with no helmets! IDIOTS!!!!! Had it been 20 feet in either direction of where they went over, they would have landed on rocks and not grass. They would have been killed. Livid, is not the word I can describe how I felt at that time. Thankfully, today they are alive, but I am sure that they are feeling extremely sore. Hopefully, this will be a reminder for them to NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE!!
These riders didn't know the reason why our club did this sunrise to sunset ride. We did in memory of my nephew Michael, 21 years old, who was killed in August of 2011. He was a rider just like us, a doctor was texting and driving and took her eyes off the road for 2 seconds and instantly killed my nephew. Four words no family wants to hear "I didn't see him".
So you can imagine....I was more than just LIVID!!
WOW Chris!

They were so lucky! Did the cops take them to jail after the hospital?

“Insert useless statement here.”

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#7550 Aug 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like raw tomatoes. My wife does and one of my sons does too (the other two are like me and don't care for them).
I use them to make homemade salsa, tho. I have to cook my salsa, tho. Whatever compound in them that makes them taste bad to me breaks down when they are cooked, which is why I like tomato sauce and things of that nature, but not raw uncooked tomatoes.
It sucks that I'm not getting much. I put a lot of work into it. I even put in an irrigation system, which I didn't need at all this year. I am starting to get some butternut squash, tho, which I love.
Last year we grew so many tomatoes( beef steak and cherry), I was giving them away! We don't have soil, just sand. So, I went and bought a few 50 gallon plastic barrels. We cut them long way in half and drilled a couple of holes for proper drainage. Raised them off the ground using bricks, and filled them with soil. I had eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.
Didn't do it this year.

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#7551 Aug 5, 2013
amy wrote:
There is a hammock out in the alley free to anyone that wants to hall it off!!!
Altizer
Hall it off? Hell no! That's going in the front yard!! lol

Thanks!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#7552 Aug 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Screened back decks are very nice around here for that reason. It was a big draw to us, when we bought our home.
Down here you at night there is so much noise from all the critters at night. It's like a symphony. I like to just sit out there sometimes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_Qn4yaa3uyIXX
Same here, we got Texas sized skeeters! lol

Level 5

Location hidden

#7553 Aug 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I live on a canal, and at night....we have the frog symphony. I am so used to it, that now I don't really hear it. After rain, they are extremely loud. One frog starts, and the rest answer back. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7554 Aug 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes sense.

Level 9

Location hidden

#7555 Aug 5, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>That's why they were at the holes in the fence looking through lol.
LOL

And you were throwing rotten tomatoes at them!

Level 8

Location hidden

#7556 Aug 5, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>I love raw tomatoes!
My grandmother used to pressure cook squash for hours and it was the only way I liked it as a kid, it tasted great and no one has duplicated that taste since. i miss that!
For regular squash I like to marinade it and cook it on the grill.

For butternut, I like to slice it in half (mirror images), scoop out the seeds, put some butter and brown sugar in the depression where the seeds were, cover with the top with aluminum foil and bake in the oven, for maybe an hour and 15 to an hour and a half at 350 (until it's is really soft). It's almost like dessert. It's so good.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7557 Aug 5, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>WOW Chris!
They were so lucky! Did the cops take them to jail after the hospital?
One of the home owners on the road, took the riders into his house. The riders were begging for everyone not to call the police. Not sure, if the police came after we left.

Level 8

Location hidden

#7558 Aug 5, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
The ride was awesome. Saturday we started out with a cloudy morning. Couldn't see the sunrise. Had a great group to ride with. It took us 4 hours to drive across the state to Florida's west coast. Had an awesome time. Parked our bikes at the hotel, everything was in walking distance. Didn't see our bikes until it was time to head home. Coming home we hit some really nasty weather. Pulled along the side of the road and all suited up with rain gear.
Minutes from our house, my hubby and I were riding along the inter-coastal waterway. Off the corner of our eyes we saw a bike go over the edge. I immediately jumped off the bike even before hubby stopped it. I ran like I've never run before,(my legs are sore today). The bike was wrapped around a telephone pole and the two riders were at the bottom of the 20-30 foot drop. As I'm sliding down the embankment the male rider was climbing up. The left side of his face was so messed up. The female rider still on her back at the bottom. She started to sit up, her left arm was mangled. Got her to her feet and she asked about her bike. I just told her "who cares about your bike, your alive and standing". I managed to get her up the embankment where she goes on to tell me how drunk she is. I WAS LIVID!!! Driving drunk and with no helmets! IDIOTS!!!!! Had it been 20 feet in either direction of where they went over, they would have landed on rocks and not grass. They would have been killed. Livid, is not the word I can describe how I felt at that time. Thankfully, today they are alive, but I am sure that they are feeling extremely sore. Hopefully, this will be a reminder for them to NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE!!
These riders didn't know the reason why our club did this sunrise to sunset ride. We did in memory of my nephew Michael, 21 years old, who was killed in August of 2011. He was a rider just like us, a doctor was texting and driving and took her eyes off the road for 2 seconds and instantly killed my nephew. Four words no family wants to hear "I didn't see him".
Wow! What a story.

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. What a nice thing to do in memory of him.

Level 9

Location hidden

#7559 Aug 5, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
OMG Chris. I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. Another reason why texting and driving should be illegal in all states.

Lost one of my favorite cousins to an automobile accident not too long ago. It makes one realize how short life really is.

(hugs)

<3

Level 9

Location hidden

#7560 Aug 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For regular squash I like to marinade it and cook it on the grill.
For butternut, I like to slice it in half (mirror images), scoop out the seeds, put some butter and brown sugar in the depression where the seeds were, cover with the top with aluminum foil and bake in the oven, for maybe an hour and 15 to an hour and a half at 350 (until it's is really soft). It's almost like dessert. It's so good.
Thanks, I'll have some of that squash. It sounds delish!

Level 8

Location hidden

#7561 Aug 5, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>Last year we grew so many tomatoes( beef steak and cherry), I was giving them away! We don't have soil, just sand. So, I went and bought a few 50 gallon plastic barrels. We cut them long way in half and drilled a couple of holes for proper drainage. Raised them off the ground using bricks, and filled them with soil. I had eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.
Didn't do it this year.
We don't have very good soil down by me, either, as far as I'm concerned, either. I removed a lot of mine from my garden and augmented what was left with a lot of black earth, mulch, and peat moss.

Level 5

Location hidden

#7562 Aug 5, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>Same here, we got Texas sized skeeters! lol
We have gallinippers and no seeums (we call them flying teeth, you can't see them, but sure as hell feel them!)

Gallinippers - http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/320724/19/Ga...

No-See-Ums - http://keysmosquito.org/no-see-ums/

My favorite scent of the summer ....DEET! lmao

Level 8

Location hidden

#7563 Aug 5, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text> I live on a canal, and at night....we have the frog symphony. I am so used to it, that now I don't really hear it. After rain, they are extremely loud. One frog starts, and the rest answer back. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Grj6rCp1BEgXX
That's nice too. A little different than mine. This is a shorter, but better indication of what it is like in my back yard. According to this video it's cicadas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

It is really loud like that. The forest is only maybe 50 feet from the back of my deck, tho. So, I'm practically in the woods (which I like).

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#7564 Aug 5, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 min TurkanaBoy 127,170
**3 Syllable Word Game - A-Z** (Jun '12) 8 min 40ish 789
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 8 min Mega Monster 23,939
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 9 min ms_Sweeter 3,767
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 12 min ms_Sweeter 150,999
The letter H (Jun '13) 13 min 40ish 623
Whatcha' doing? (Apr '12) 13 min Sublime1 7,152
Bill Cosby 18 min TALLYHO 8541 180
Do you have a Topix crush? (Jun '11) 55 min Sucks 2 B U 8,011
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 2 hr Grace Nerissa 37,480