|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
How can you be married to that?
The poor guy needs a whip and a chair. Sheesh.
Peter

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

I love purple crayons! Especially my boyfriends!

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Without getting into the formulas and verifying their accuracy, it occurs to me that the person who wrote that presumes that the person having free will makes the decision to wear the white shirt on the day he wears it. However, it is possible that we have a soul and that we know how our life will play out before our soul enters our body. It is possible we agree to live the life we live before we live it, such that before we are even born, we have agreed to wear that white shirt on that particular day. It is possible an omniscient being knows that and how our life will play out, as well? Have you ever experienced deja vous?
That assumption poisons the whole exercise.
Hello Sublime. Hope you're having a good day. Your fans seems to be following you. Must be nice to be so popular!

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Crystal asks: Why is Chicago named that?

The first European to set foot in the area we know today as Chicago was Nicholas Perrot, a French trader, in 1671. He was followed a few years later by fellow French explorers Louis Jolliet and Jacques Marquette. The area was largely populated by the native Algonquian people who had long been established there. In the 1780s, Jean Batiste Point du Sable built a farm at the mouth of the Chicago River, becoming the first non-native permanent settler. In 1795, some tribes ceded the area to the United States following the Northwest Indian War. By 1830, Chicago was a recognized municipality of just 100 people. It was in 1830 that the small town’s name was officially recorded as “Chicago.”
Given the city’s roots, it probably won’t surprise you to learn that “Chicago” derives from a Native American word. However, there are different theories about which specific word it was derived from. The Native Americans who populated the area before European settlement had several different words that sounded similar to Chicago. One of the popular theories is that it was named after a chieftain named Chicagou who was reportedly drowned in the Chicago River. Other ideas about the origin include a derivative of “shecaugo” meaning “playful waters” or “chocago” meaning “destitute.” The origin of the name is wildly contested among academics due to the small number of documents contemporary to the time of Chicago’s establishment that actually discuss how it was named.
All that being said, the most accepted name origin is the Miami-Illinois word “shikaakwa,” which means “striped skunk” or “smelly onion”. Not exactly a glamorous name origin either way, right? Most historians think that the “onion” version is correct because the Miami-Illinois were known for naming natural landmarks after plants that grew in or near them, while naming something after an animal was a rarity. The plant-based naming system was practical because it was a reminder of what plants grew where, providing an easy reference for gathering food. Plant-based naming is also prevalent in other Algonquin languages. The Miami-Illinois people have also left their mark on several rivers in the area, including Indiana’s Salamonie River (from oonsaalamooni siipiiwi, or bloodroot river) and Sugar Creek (from ahsenaamisi siipiiwi, or maple tree sugar river).
It is therefore likely that “Shikaakwa” was the word for the a stream near Chicago because of the leeks or “smelly onions” that grew in the watershed. When the French began their explorations of the area, they took the word and “Frenchified” it, turning it into the “Chicago” we know today. The explorer Robert de la Salle is credited with recording the first precursor to Chicago, which he called “Checagou.”

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

The main evidence for the onion theory is found in the journal of Henri Joutel, a companion of de la Salle’s, who wrote this entry in 1687:
We arrived at a place which is named Checagou, which, according to what we learned, has taken its name from the quantity of garlic which grows in this district, in the woods … a species of garlic in quantity which is not entirely like that of France, having its leaf broader and shorter, and is also not so strong, though its taste closely approaches it but is not like the little onions or the onion of France.
The leeks (or spring onion or wild garlic) in question were the Allium tricoccum plant, also known as ramps. They grow across the United States and, true to Joutel’s words, have a strong garlic smell, but taste very much like onions. Native Americans in the Chicago area are believed to have used ramps to their advantage, making out of the plants such things as cold medicines and even a cream to ease itchy bee stings. They were also a popular food in spring, when they could be harvested after a long winter of bland, preserved foods.
Funny enough, you’re unlikely to find many ramps in Cook County, where Chicago lies, today and it’s illegal to harvest them if you do see some of these wild leeks within the county’s borders.
Peter McDowell

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

I'm pretty short. I have to use a latter to paint doorways. But my boyfriend thinks it's cute.

I'm the Queen of the midget rodeo.

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Sublime. Hope you're having a good day. Your fans seems to be following you. Must be nice to be so popular!
Hey Leggs! <wiggles eyebrows>

It is my Bond like persona that draws them in, I think.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Uh, and for the record, I don't use anyone's real name on here, and I rarely gray box. When I do gray box I pretty much always show up with the same location too and everyone knows it's me.
David Gilmore

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
Uh, and for the record, I don't use anyone's real name on here, and I rarely gray box. When I do gray box I pretty much always show up with the same location too and everyone knows it's me.
Well, Mike, more than likely it's Kevin. He has a history of this sort of weak play. It reflects badly on the gang of thugs you run with. If you can't control your people, maybe you're not as tall as you think you are!

Level 9

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Leggs! <wiggles eyebrows>
It is my Bond like persona that draws them in, I think.
Heh, heh. What's with all the unregistered posters anyway. Must be you to whom they're attracted. lol

Level 9

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Peter McDowell wrote:
I'm pretty short. I have to use a latter to paint doorways. But my boyfriend thinks it's cute.
I'm the Queen of the midget rodeo.
Why don't you and the other gray boxes either contribute or leave us alone.
David Gilmore

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

What's the matter with troll gangs these days when they are too lazy to pick up the phone and call their personal mod up and ask who ISN'T grayboxing them?

They'll sit there ALL FN DAY reporting "enemy posts" but, can't dial the phone or call out across the library table to the mod and ASK if they know who it is.

You'd think even a jackleg lawyer would know to do that!

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Wowie. Is the recovery working for your "dude" in Rocklin? LOL

This is the BRG peeps with one or two IT trolls.
-Kevin-

Marietta, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

I've been gone most of the afternoon. But I am laughing at whoever is doing it.

They have you running in circles. Chasing the tail that is in between your legs

And stuff.
-Kevin-

Marietta, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

alpha wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's just fun fkn with guys that live vicariously through topix while lying to fat old ladies.
Stop making fun of Ferrerman. We've all seen him carry on in the BRG cattle field.
David Parea

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you and the other gray boxes either contribute or leave us alone.
Um, that's someone in YOUR gang, sir. If you can't control your people, we'll find someone who can!

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

David Gilmore wrote:
<quoted text>Well, Mike, more than likely it's Kevin. He has a history of this sort of weak play. It reflects badly on the gang of thugs you run with. If you can't control your people, maybe you're not as tall as you think you are!
I can only control myself. Like it or not, that is a fact of life.

I have tried a quite a few times to get everyone to stop the nonsense, much along the lines of Susan’s post the other day, and the main instigators on both sides seem to be incapable of doing so. So, as I told Sue yesterday, it is a waste of time to even try.

I am also not a part of any gang. I mostly chat with folks on the threads. I rarely get PMs and when I do they usually aren’t about this nonsense … the very few times I have received any discussing this nonsense, my mantra has been that everyone (including folks who I am friendly with) should just ignore and stay away from folks they don’t like.

Seems to me it’s just a few folks who don’t like each other who keep it going, including yourself. I don't understand what causes folks to let petty disputes consume and control them.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, heh. What's with all the unregistered posters anyway. Must be you to whom they're attracted. lol
Really? Maybe it will help if I tell them I’m the funny looking guy in my avatar and not the pretty lady. ;p

Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head with your post the other day. They just don't like it that some of us get along with Kevin and Perse. It’s the friend of my enemy is my enemy too, dynamic.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Peter McDowell wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop taking topix so seriously. You're making me look bad.
Are you talking to your self? At least NO one used her correct last name.
-Kevin-

Marietta, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

alpha wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's my fantasy boyfriend^^^^
He's a coward by his own definition.
No :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••