“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#3011 Jun 17, 2013
YO NEIGHBORS!!

QUIT CLANKING your coffee mugs as you Chat over the fence, Please????

MY hubby and I wanna ENJOY our ALONE Time..W/O the Rugrats!!!

“Insert useless statement here.”

Level 5

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3012 Jun 17, 2013
Well guys/gals, gotta do some work. Have a good one! TTYL!

“<3”

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

#3013 Jun 17, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello again Lady Perse. This seems to be a fairly quiet thread. Thank heavens.
:)
Hello sweetie. So glad to see you. Well it is made me this gorgeous afghan. I should post a picture

Level 5

Location hidden

#3014 Jun 17, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Perse too. I see legs, legs, everywhere!! AND you ladies have brains too, unlike Miss Utah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TlgqWeuhJj4XX
Ouch! Just listening to that hurt my brain. <cringe>
OMG did you see that? I was cringing!!!

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#3015 Jun 17, 2013
I hear that. LOL. They don't know their dogs though do they?

Um yeah. I would totally respect those Gators. LOL. Kind of like a Land Shark.
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>They are beautiful dogs. At 160 lbs, someone needs to tell them, they aren't lap dogs. One dog out weighs me by far. They kill me! And I can't just have one on my lap. If I sit on the floor, I've got all three! I've got a picture somewhere on my laptop of this. If you look at the pic...you'd say "where's chris"?
The gators mesmerize me. They are to be respected from afar. All the years living here...whenever I open my backdoor, they jump into the water. We've got a mutual understanding going on..you leave me alone, and I will leave you alone.

Level 4

Since: Jul 12

Hesse, Germany

#3016 Jun 17, 2013
What a boring Monday!

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3017 Jun 17, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>OMG did you see that? I was cringing!!!
I didn't watch it live. I'm not really into watching beauty pageants, lol, but I saw the headlines today. So, I figured I would see if it was on youtube and lo and behold there it was.

For some of those questions they ask, I think you have to be fairly well rounded and a well read person to answer them well, but I think that one was pretty easy.

They said the one girl hit it out of the park when asked about the recent S.C. decision on patenting DNA, which I have been following. I haven't watched that response, however. I can only imagine what Miss Utah would have said if asked about it. I'm thinking she would have asked, what is DNA, lol.

Level 9

Location hidden

#3018 Jun 17, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>Whiskey + Coffee = Irish Coffe!!! Yummy!
Delish!
Ricky F

Atlanta, GA

#3019 Jun 17, 2013
Why is fake Ricky F terrorizing other threads instead of posting here?

Level 5

Location hidden

#3020 Jun 17, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't watch it live. I'm not really into watching beauty pageants, lol, but I saw the headlines today. So, I figured I would see if it was on youtube and lo and behold there it was.
For some of those questions they ask, I think you have to be fairly well rounded and a well read person to answer them well, but I think that one was pretty easy.
They said the one girl hit it out of the park when asked about the recent S.C. decision on patenting DNA, which I have been following. I haven't watched that response, however. I can only imagine what Miss Utah would have said if asked about it. I'm thinking she would have asked, what is DNA, lol.
I didn't watch it live either, but caught a glimpse of it on this morning's news. My jaw dropped!

Now, in regards to patenting DNA. I had no idea, so I did some research. What bothers me, I used Myraid Genetics a few years back. I paid a whole ton of moolah for my BRCA1 and BRCA2 because they hold a patent? WTH!!??!! How does anyone patent anything that's natural in ones body???

Level 5

Location hidden

#3021 Jun 17, 2013
Susan & Persephone, I didn't get the memo about "legs". LMAO

“I'm freezing.”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Honolulu, HI.

#3023 Jun 17, 2013
GANNY wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you extend me the same courtesy. Just because its Bluegrass dont mean it dont rock.
You keep your girlfriends off the corners, and I'll keep my daughters off the streets.
I've never been interested in your daughters, that is the guy in the other neighborhood.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#3024 Jun 17, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
OH?

“I'm freezing.”

Level 8

Honolulu, HI.

#3025 Jun 17, 2013
Fisherman 808 wrote:
<quoted text>
The trolling has been kinda slow, but I did get an ono on the way to Maui a week ago Friday.
I didn't feel any of the earthquakes, but read that you could feel one on Oahu, that happened South of the Big Island.
I've been BBQing a little. Have to smell up the neighborhood, it's my civic duty.
I hope your BBQ's made the neighbors mouths water.
I didn't feel either earthquake.
My neighbors love to BBQ so the whole neighborhood smells good on the weekends.
A couple of friends of mine have been having a great time hunting deer.

“I'm freezing.”

Level 8

Honolulu, HI.

#3028 Jun 17, 2013
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text>
Why you are welcome :)
Gotta have a little Riff with the Raff ....a little Chit with the Chat .... All neighborhoods are like that !!
Morning nosey neighbors ...... Happy Monday !!
I'm Riff and Raff.

“I'm freezing.”

Level 8

Honolulu, HI.

#3029 Jun 17, 2013
Colorado Chick wrote:
YO NEIGHBORS!!
QUIT CLANKING your coffee mugs as you Chat over the fence, Please????
MY hubby and I wanna ENJOY our ALONE Time..W/O the Rugrats!!!
*hanging wind chimes*
ummmm.....oops....
*taking down wind chimes*

Level 8

Location hidden

#3031 Jun 17, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't watch it live either, but caught a glimpse of it on this morning's news. My jaw dropped!
Now, in regards to patenting DNA. I had no idea, so I did some research. What bothers me, I used Myraid Genetics a few years back. I paid a whole ton of moolah for my BRCA1 and BRCA2 because they hold a patent? WTH!!??!! How does anyone patent anything that's natural in ones body???
Thatís what the Court decided. DNA sequences found naturally in the body or in nature are not eligible patent subject matter.
cDNA, however, is eligible subject matter (meaning it is not automatically barred), but more court cases will need to play out to see if such patent claims directed at the cDNA are nonetheless obvious and thus still not patentable. There have been some scholars opining that this will be the case, i.e. such claims will be obvious, but Iím not so sure because just because natural DNA sequences are not eligible subject matter and even if they are known, this does not necessarily mean the underlying function of a particular DNA sequence is ďknownĒ or the function of the resulting mRNA is known such that it would be obvious to one of ordinary skill in the art to create the specific cDNA at issue. Seems to me that is where the inventiveness would arguably come into play and some of the scholars (including one from Stanford) are confusing two separate issues. I have to read an important case (Prometheus v. Mayo) on that issue, however, first before having an informed opinion.

Incidentally, my patent law professor was cited in an authoritative article on it Ö heís really making a name for himself. When I had him he was fresh from private practice Ö really great professor, IMO, but Iím biased because when I was in school he tried to get me an internship in his old firm and told me out of anyone in the class, Iím who he would recommend. We had a very good rapport. Heís now an associate dean at another school Ö itís nice to see him doing so well.

Interestingly, in Europe naturally occurring DNA is patentable. So, there are currently conflicts in the law. Not sure if Congress will step in here and change the law. I mean, you do want biotech companies to have an incentive to develop these medicines and diagnostic tests, rite? Thatís the whole reason why we have patents and thatís also why Europe changed their laws to specifically make naturally occurring DNA patentable. Pharmaceutical companies will not research these medicines in the absence of some assurance that their investments will be protected. Itís a complicated area and there are many things that need to be balanced.

However, it is my understanding that Myriad Genetics has a lot of proprietary trade secret information that will be useful in their commercial endeavors. So this decision may not be fatal to them.

Level 8

Location hidden

#3032 Jun 17, 2013
Chris - PSL wrote:
Hey, don't feel the need to limit yourself to just the legs. Boobs and the bikini area are cool too!

Now that I've made everyone blush, my work here is done for the day, I guess.

Level 5

Location hidden

#3033 Jun 17, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís what the Court decided. DNA sequences found naturally in the body or in nature are not eligible patent subject matter.
cDNA, however, is eligible subject matter (meaning it is not automatically barred), but more court cases will need to play out to see if such patent claims directed at the cDNA are nonetheless obvious and thus still not patentable. There have been some scholars opining that this will be the case, i.e. such claims will be obvious, but Iím not so sure because just because natural DNA sequences are not eligible subject matter and even if they are known, this does not necessarily mean the underlying function of a particular DNA sequence is ďknownĒ or the function of the resulting mRNA is known such that it would be obvious to one of ordinary skill in the art to create the specific cDNA at issue. Seems to me that is where the inventiveness would arguably come into play and some of the scholars (including one from Stanford) are confusing two separate issues. I have to read an important case (Prometheus v. Mayo) on that issue, however, first before having an informed opinion.
Incidentally, my patent law professor was cited in an authoritative article on it Ö heís really making a name for himself. When I had him he was fresh from private practice Ö really great professor, IMO, but Iím biased because when I was in school he tried to get me an internship in his old firm and told me out of anyone in the class, Iím who he would recommend. We had a very good rapport. Heís now an associate dean at another school Ö itís nice to see him doing so well.
Interestingly, in Europe naturally occurring DNA is patentable. So, there are currently conflicts in the law. Not sure if Congress will step in here and change the law. I mean, you do want biotech companies to have an incentive to develop these medicines and diagnostic tests, rite? Thatís the whole reason why we have patents and thatís also why Europe changed their laws to specifically make naturally occurring DNA patentable. Pharmaceutical companies will not research these medicines in the absence of some assurance that their investments will be protected. Itís a complicated area and there are many things that need to be balanced.
However, it is my understanding that Myriad Genetics has a lot of proprietary trade secret information that will be useful in their commercial endeavors. So this decision may not be fatal to them.
This is all new to me. Like you, I'd like to do more research before offering an opinion. But, I can somewhat understand your point in companies having an incentive to develop these diagnostic tests and medicines. I guess it's safe for me to assume that Myraid Genetics thankfully had the patent for the BRCA1 & 2. In my circumstance, it was beneficial to my medical diagnose and surgical outcome.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#3035 Jun 17, 2013
YO NEIGHBORS... TAKE YOUR MEDICAL JUMBLE TO THE DOC'S WAITING ROOM....

CRIPES SAKE..am trying to SUNBATHE....KINDA hard to do...WHEN..ya ALL are STARING... at me..in YOUR " SLICE and DICE" attire !!!!

Mooove alooooong Now!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 4 min Roy Rogers and Pluto 26,690
Change 1 letter game! (Nov '11) 6 min Favorite school s... 2,954
CHANGE One letter CHANCE (Sep '08) 9 min Cause leaf problems 30,000
Change "1" letter =ONLY= (Oct '12) 11 min My 1st boat ride 4,243
The BIZARRE reasons why men rape in India 16 min Humhainna 1,087
Let's Play Song Titles With One Word? 18 min _hellbilly_ 320
Change-one-of-six-letters (Dec '12) 19 min Look at the 3,984
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 29 min wichita-rick 152,513
Is it possible to....... 3 hr CJ Rocker 578
Word Association 2 (Sep '13) 4 hr Mega Monster 7,582
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 5 hr Sarah 25,711
More from around the web