Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

cute guys wrote:
I think if you pure ammonia around the deck, that will keep them away....I think.
I thought your post read, "pour ammonia around the neck"..made me laugh!(I can't read a thing without my glasses anymore). I doubt any self respecting raccoon would allow anyone to pour ammonia on them.

When I was a kid I was told you could catch a bird if you poured salt on it's tail. I thought adding salt to the water in my squirt gun would work...

“I wanna be free...”

Since: Mar 08

Happyville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

A scarecrow, it works for crows, maybe it would work for racoons..

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

Judged:

Wear a black mask like they do. they will think you are their relatives and run for the hills.

“False Prophet”

Level 4

Since: Jan 08

hamilton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

caustic humour
Rita

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

Well, they do contract rabies and if you have a dog you might want to keep coons away from it rather than encouraging them.
MoMaria wrote:
I don't know , are you in the city,country,or?? I love my coons, I built a little tiny pond for them in the backyard,Fed them at night and watched them play. It was so cool. They did learn to break in the back door for a while but they just ate the dog food and left foot prints all over the floor . LOVE them...

“False Prophet”

Level 4

hamilton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

MoMaria wrote:
I don't know , are you in the city,country,or?? I love my coons, I built a little tiny pond for them in the backyard,Fed them at night and watched them play. It was so cool. They did learn to break in the back door for a while but they just ate the dog food and left foot prints all over the floor . LOVE them...
Awesum.

You should take pix of them. Love to see them
Jason Livingston

Keller, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

As a professional, licensed WCO (wildlife control operator), most of these ideas are not good ideas. Repellents that you can purchase in a grocery store or a big box stores will not usually work. And exposing yourself to chemicals such as Napthalene, like mothballs, can actually cause blindness, kidney damage, etc... Ammonia fumes can harm your home by permeating into insulation, wood, sheetrock and others, and is impossible to get out of your home. Your best bet to a permanent solution is to evacuate the raccoons, if captured remove to a distance of 25 miles. Releasing "down the block at the park", means they will probably beat you back to the house. Then attractants must be removed, meaning your insulation removed, since it will have scents the raccoon was drawn to in the first place, disinfection of the attic area and new insulation installed. Most insulation has an effective lifetime of 5-15 years anyway, so don't feel too bad about replacing the damaged material. There are many ways to repair the situation, but it's not recommended that you try it yourself, ladder work is dangerous, and raccoons are not the friendliest animals around. If you do use a service to fix the situation make sure they are licensed and insured, not bonded. A good way to do this is to use a service like Home Advisors by Service Magic. They prescreen companies to make sure they are licensed and insured. Don't rely on sites like Angie's List since they will give negative reviews because the service tech won't walk their dog for them. Remember in these tough economic times there are a lot of pest control companies that attempt to do this work, and they usually only have a sentence or two about rats in their licensing requirements. We do plenty of work repairing what they attempt to do using substandard materials, and not having the understanding to do the job correctly.

Jason Livingston
Wildlife X Team International

“you're not the boss of me!”

the road less traveled.....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

they are super smart...the more obstacles thrown, the more they learn.(this is only a snippet, but the whole show was very interesting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“False Prophet”

Level 4

hamilton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Vee wrote:
Wear a black mask like they do. they will think you are their relatives and run for the hills.
didn't your hero just die ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

119 Users are viewing the Weird Forum right now

Search the Weird Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 6 min CJ Rocker 141,363
What are you thinking about now? (Jun '10) 14 min Sublime1 15,081
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 25 min replaytime 112,889
If you could create a new judgeit... 27 min cretin56 16
First contacts on offbeat (May '12) 42 min Dr_Dirty 756
blame it on....??? (Aug '13) 49 min Dr_Dirty 17
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 49 min CJ Rocker 25,611
The Night Owl Saloon (Jun '11) 2 hr Maverick 808 15,622
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 3 hr LOST IN MISSISSIPPI 34,966