How does someone get rid of Raccoons ...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Abner

Tacoma, WA

#23 Mar 27, 2008
cute guys wrote:
I think if you pure ammonia around the deck, that will keep them away....I think.
I thought your post read, "pour ammonia around the neck"..made me laugh!(I can't read a thing without my glasses anymore). I doubt any self respecting raccoon would allow anyone to pour ammonia on them.

When I was a kid I was told you could catch a bird if you poured salt on it's tail. I thought adding salt to the water in my squirt gun would work...

“I wanna be free...”

Since: Mar 08

Happyville

#24 Mar 27, 2008
A scarecrow, it works for crows, maybe it would work for racoons..

Vee

“Happeeeeeee 2016!!!!!!!”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#25 Sep 12, 2010
Wear a black mask like they do. they will think you are their relatives and run for the hills.

“False Prophet”

Level 4

Since: Jan 08

hamilton

#26 Sep 12, 2010
caustic humour
Rita

Winnipeg, Canada

#27 Sep 13, 2010
Well, they do contract rabies and if you have a dog you might want to keep coons away from it rather than encouraging them.
MoMaria wrote:
I don't know , are you in the city,country,or?? I love my coons, I built a little tiny pond for them in the backyard,Fed them at night and watched them play. It was so cool. They did learn to break in the back door for a while but they just ate the dog food and left foot prints all over the floor . LOVE them...

“False Prophet”

Level 4

hamilton

#28 Sep 13, 2010
MoMaria wrote:
I don't know , are you in the city,country,or?? I love my coons, I built a little tiny pond for them in the backyard,Fed them at night and watched them play. It was so cool. They did learn to break in the back door for a while but they just ate the dog food and left foot prints all over the floor . LOVE them...
Awesum.

You should take pix of them. Love to see them
Jason Livingston

Carrollton, TX

#29 Aug 1, 2013
As a professional, licensed WCO (wildlife control operator), most of these ideas are not good ideas. Repellents that you can purchase in a grocery store or a big box stores will not usually work. And exposing yourself to chemicals such as Napthalene, like mothballs, can actually cause blindness, kidney damage, etc... Ammonia fumes can harm your home by permeating into insulation, wood, sheetrock and others, and is impossible to get out of your home. Your best bet to a permanent solution is to evacuate the raccoons, if captured remove to a distance of 25 miles. Releasing "down the block at the park", means they will probably beat you back to the house. Then attractants must be removed, meaning your insulation removed, since it will have scents the raccoon was drawn to in the first place, disinfection of the attic area and new insulation installed. Most insulation has an effective lifetime of 5-15 years anyway, so don't feel too bad about replacing the damaged material. There are many ways to repair the situation, but it's not recommended that you try it yourself, ladder work is dangerous, and raccoons are not the friendliest animals around. If you do use a service to fix the situation make sure they are licensed and insured, not bonded. A good way to do this is to use a service like Home Advisors by Service Magic. They prescreen companies to make sure they are licensed and insured. Don't rely on sites like Angie's List since they will give negative reviews because the service tech won't walk their dog for them. Remember in these tough economic times there are a lot of pest control companies that attempt to do this work, and they usually only have a sentence or two about rats in their licensing requirements. We do plenty of work repairing what they attempt to do using substandard materials, and not having the understanding to do the job correctly.

Jason Livingston
Wildlife X Team International

“you're not the boss of me!”

the road less traveled.....

#30 Aug 1, 2013
they are super smart...the more obstacles thrown, the more they learn.(this is only a snippet, but the whole show was very interesting)

“False Prophet”

Level 4

hamilton

#31 Aug 1, 2013
Vee wrote:
Wear a black mask like they do. they will think you are their relatives and run for the hills.
didn't your hero just die ?
Ralph

Muskegon, MI

#32 Aug 12, 2014
Tam I Am wrote:
I have this friend who has been kept awake night after night with the sound of raccoons doing what ever they do at night. Now they've moved around and are playing on her outside deck area. She loves animals and doesn't want to harm the coon's. Is there a way to get rid of them without hurting them?
I have this problem as well. I paid a trapper 500 dollars to set live traps, catch a family and release them into the wild (supposedly), and seal up the soffit opening. A little over a year later they are back! Broke right through the aluminum soffit in two different places! Now I've invested another 500 in a different company. So far a week later I'm perhaps further from being rid of them then I was before. I'm at my wits end!
Level 7

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#33 Aug 12, 2014
Elmer. Fudd wacoon wemoval

“False Prophet”

Level 4

hamilton

#35 Aug 24, 2014
Hi Deborah

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#36 Sep 30, 2014
call animal control
those things are mean.

we had one under our steps, sounded like a mad dog when they came to take it away.

“"*" Always Thinking "*"”

Level 8

Since: Nov 12

Hoosierville

#37 Sep 30, 2014
Tam I Am wrote:
I have this friend who has been kept awake night after night with the sound of raccoons doing what ever they do at night. Now they've moved around and are playing on her outside deck area. She loves animals and doesn't want to harm the coon's. Is there a way to get rid of them without hurting them?
A good friend of my son had the same problem and I give him live cages to capture them then took them to my property in the country. Little did I know we would built and live there in the next few years ( anyhow that's another story).

Take them out in the country and turn them loose or find a guy that trains coon dogs which I did and caught them again for him.
They do not make good pets but that's another story also.

If you don't catch the Mommy expect to have the same problem year after year, he didn't and I ended up with a farm of coons! I invited coon hunters form all over Decatur County to help solve my problem.

Good Luck!
tipguide

Surrey, Canada

#39 Mar 12, 2016
Tam I Am wrote:
Position several ammonia soaked rags near/around the spots where the raccoon's are seen

This should motivate the raccoon's to move and relocate . The smell will make their living
conditions unbearable, but it smells like a decent cleaning solution to us.

You could also Place a work light where they "hangout" or try playing a radio (with a talk radio station). In most cases such techniques disturb the raccoon's enough that they will want to move on. If anyone would like anymore tips on "do it yourself" raccoon removal this is a good read http://raccoontips.com/free-raccoon-removal/

Level 9

Since: Jul 11

#40 Mar 12, 2016
12 Gauge slug, if you hit 'em right in the head it doesn't hurt. Our area was over ran with 'em last year, relocate 'em all day long, it didn't matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 charged for allegedly blowing up turtle 19 min wichita-rick 8
6 letter word ...change one letter game (Oct '08) 20 min andet1987 31,845
keep a word drop a word (Sep '12) 21 min Bezeer 14,113
5 Letter Word, Change 1 Letter (Oct '15) 22 min Bezeer 3,665
True False Game (Jun '11) 29 min andet1987 12,648
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 33 min Sharlene45 197,380
Alphabetical ways to die (Jul '11) 33 min wichita-rick 10,885
Make up your wildest Headline. (Aug '08) 1 hr greymouser 620
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) (Jan '16) 2 hr Very Clear 8,823
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 5 hr Pernicious Snit 59,727