How does someone get rid of Raccoons ...

How does someone get rid of Raccoons invading their attic.

Posted in the Weird Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Live, Laugh, and Love ”

Since: Feb 08

Three Oaks

#1 Feb 5, 2008
I have this friend who has been kept awake night after night with the sound of raccoons doing what ever they do at night. Now they've moved around and are playing on her outside deck area. She loves animals and doesn't want to harm the coon's. Is there a way to get rid of them without hurting them?

“Veni Vidi Vici”

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2 Feb 5, 2008
Try turning on some lights in the attic, it helps....

then seal up where they are getting in!

or set traps, bait w peanut butter, release at least five miles away near a creek.

Since: Oct 07

San Jose, CA

#3 Feb 5, 2008
simple metal traps. I think it's best to bait them without setting them a few times before setting them. You want them to get used to the traps as a food source so that they will trust them when they are set.

opistoglyph

Since: Sep 07

Ravena, NY

#4 Feb 5, 2008
DF- Atl wrote:
Try turning on some lights in the attic, it helps....
then seal up where they are getting in!
or set traps, bait w peanut butter, release at least five miles away near a creek.
Perfect. Even spotlights around where they are getting in may do it.DO NOT get scratched, bit or peed on, use gloves, don't handle traps barehanded after release.

The Big Time

“Runs Like a Deere”

Since: Jan 07

Forest Park, GA

#5 Feb 5, 2008
Raccoons in BOOMER'S Attic !!

skipper

Dillon, SC

#6 Feb 5, 2008
go to walmart and buy Shake-Away repellant.

i use it and it does work.

“Live, Laugh, and Love ”

Three Oaks

#8 Feb 5, 2008
skipper wrote:
go to walmart and buy Shake-Away repellant.
i use it and it does work.
Sweet. Thank you Skipper, I'll pass on the info.

MoMaria

“Laugh it's good for you...”

Location hidden

#9 Feb 5, 2008
I don't know , are you in the city,country,or?? I love my coons, I built a little tiny pond for them in the backyard,Fed them at night and watched them play. It was so cool. They did learn to break in the back door for a while but they just ate the dog food and left foot prints all over the floor . LOVE them...

opistoglyph

Ravena, NY

#11 Feb 6, 2008
MoMaria wrote:
I don't know , are you in the city,country,or?? I love my coons, I built a little tiny pond for them in the backyard,Fed them at night and watched them play. It was so cool. They did learn to break in the back door for a while but they just ate the dog food and left foot prints all over the floor . LOVE them...
The whole raccoon family, coatis, crabeaters, kinkajous and bassaricyon, ringtails...they learn to turn stuff on and off, open the fridge and ravage it. Many raccoon family animals were raised here roaming about the house. I had a 35 lb male crab eater drop his testicles one day during a show. Since I bottle raised him, he thought I was Mom; once his 'maturity' popped, I was the only girl he knew. So he climbs up on my head in front of 200 middle school kids and starts humping away, claws sunk into my forehead, mouthful of my hair, it looked like I was wearing a vibrating coonskin cap. LOL They never had me come back, I wonder why? If he'd mounted me from the side, I'd be deaf in one ear today.

MoMaria

“Laugh it's good for you...”

Location hidden

#12 Feb 6, 2008
opistoglyph wrote:
<quoted text>The whole raccoon family, coatis, crabeaters, kinkajous and bassaricyon, ringtails...they learn to turn stuff on and off, open the fridge and ravage it. Many raccoon family animals were raised here roaming about the house. I had a 35 lb male crab eater drop his testicles one day during a show. Since I bottle raised him, he thought I was Mom; once his 'maturity' popped, I was the only girl he knew. So he climbs up on my head in front of 200 middle school kids and starts humping away, claws sunk into my forehead, mouthful of my hair, it looked like I was wearing a vibrating coonskin cap. LOL They never had me come back, I wonder why? If he'd mounted me from the side, I'd be deaf in one ear today.
ROTFLMAO!!!! The kids probably loved that!
denny

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Mar 14, 2008
play radio with talk show and lights to get them out. then seal up the access.
Druid

Pompano Beach, FL

#14 Mar 15, 2008
Ammonia in an empty soda bottle...make a cloth 'wick' to disperse the fumes..place in attic...their nose is extremely sensitive. Once the smell drives them away, seal up the point of entry.

“Live, Laugh, and Love ”

Three Oaks

#15 Mar 21, 2008
Druid wrote:
Ammonia in an empty soda bottle...make a cloth 'wick' to disperse the fumes..place in attic...their nose is extremely sensitive. Once the smell drives them away, seal up the point of entry.
Great idea, I'll give it a try....
Thank you for your input!
Tammy

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#16 Mar 21, 2008
Use designer bathroom plungers.

“False Prophet”

Level 4

Since: Jan 08

hamilton

#17 Mar 26, 2008
MoMaria wrote:
aww :)

I got no idea what Racoons are like.

we do have opposums which are rarely seen in daylight.

I think foxes are cute as, which of course is why girls are called foxes.

Don't know if they get on with each other though.

I'd love a pet fox. they somewhere between a cat and a dog.

what about meer kats,, fascinating!!

Location hidden

#18 Mar 26, 2008
A Shotgun or AK-47 or a deer rifle will work for this kind of removal of unwanted animals in the attic.

Location hidden

#19 Mar 26, 2008
hinamanu wrote:
<quoted text>
aww :)
I got no idea what Racoons are like.
we do have opposums which are rarely seen in daylight.
I think foxes are cute as, which of course is why girls are called foxes.
Don't know if they get on with each other though.
I'd love a pet fox. they somewhere between a cat and a dog.
what about meer kats,, fascinating!!
We have possums here too.
Some people eat possums I wouldn't they look like over grown rats to me.

“I wanna be free...”

Since: Mar 08

Happyville

#20 Mar 26, 2008
I think if you pure ammonia around the deck, that will keep them away....I think.
Abner

Tacoma, WA

#21 Mar 27, 2008
Raccoons are pesky.

The old man used to shove an ear of corn into a 5 gallon bottle. The raccoon would stick it's hand in to grab the corn..but couldn't pull it out with the corn in it's hand.
Dad would then shoot them (they would refuse to let go even while being approached), which mom hated. Rather, she would smack them with a broom and scream at them. They would eventually let go and run away, terrified. They rarely returned.

City raccoons however, are more brave. I would be cautious as they can be formidable if cornered or threatened. They may not be discouraged by mere screaming or a swinging broom.

As for the noise..they are probably mating. They hump like rabbits. I've had raccoon orgies take place under my house..sounds like they're killing each other.

wyoming

Decatur, TX

#22 Mar 27, 2008
Traps!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weird Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News By Jove, how well do you know WWII slang terms? 4 min 8541 MARINE 7
Word association (Jun '07) 13 min Red_Forman 4,637
El's Kitchen (Feb '09) 16 min 8541 MARINE 56,778
Denny Crain's Place (May '10) 18 min Denny CranesPlace 19,691
News new Texas city council votes to oust library cat 27 min Dr Wu 12
News Man driving motorcycle in dark hits black cow a... 29 min Dr Wu 4
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 36 min The Northener 199,206
Crystal_Clears Kitchen (Refurbished) 1 hr Bad Bex 7,193
What song are you listening to right now? (Apr '08) 1 hr Sharlene45 192,753
2words into 2new words (May '12) 2 hr Sharlene45 2,179