Nike Factory Strike in Vietnam Settled - for $6 a Month

Apr 2, 2008 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: snafu-ed.blogspot.com

This is why I rant about how unjust globalization truly is. Not only does the incredibly low labor cost - much of which is due to a lack of oversight in factories - mean that not only do jobs go overseas, the people who get the jobs aren't even paid fair wages. So people who say we are "spreading the wealth" globally are either foolish or lying because they work for a corporation making $$$ off of the arrangement.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of80
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

2

guess those tennis shoes will go up 25 dollars a pair now.
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

1

It is supply and demand in action.

If they people need the job they will take it and if they don't they won't. Nothing complex about it.

All the moralizing about fair wage is socialist BS.
johanson

Eugene, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

3

1

1

The wages are not fair by what standard? These jobs are coveted in Vietnam, paying above what the workers would make in most other jobs.

As far as the jobs going overseas, when Americans are ready to start paying $3-4 hundred dollars for a pair of shoes, then these jobs will start coming back.

“I know what I'm doing, hello..”

Since: Nov 07

St. Petersburg, Fl.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

So if you buy one pair of Nike Air you pay the salaries of 20 Vietnamese laborers who will make a hundred pair of shoes a week? Lets think about who else is getting screwed in this situation too.

“They killed kenny”

Level 2

Since: Dec 07

Where?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

2

Sounds like capitalism at its best to me!

Since: Sep 07

District Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 2, 2008
 
Church Slave wrote:
It is supply and demand in action.
If they people need the job they will take it and if they don't they won't. Nothing complex about it.
All the moralizing about fair wage is socialist BS.
The only person who could say something like you just said is someone who has absolutely no problem taking advantage of another person.
Frankly, this is one thing that I am EXTREMELY socialist on, and proud of it.... we should NOT be allowing American companies to send jobs overseas into sweatshops and not be fining them for doing so.

Since: Sep 07

District Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 2, 2008
 
Rotor wrote:
Sounds like capitalism at its best to me!
More like capitalism at it's WORST.
3-7 DAD

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

this is their lively hood... and u want to take it away fm them and starve them???? they live on the money they make just like americans.. the price of a gal. of milk is low if u buy it fm the farmer out of the bulk tank.. but the teachers unions have their retirement funds tied up in the stock market of profits...
Joe

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Well,
I like these comment sections. I think Big Business pays buffoons to sit and watch anything that might make sense to the average citizen,(columns or articles that questions anti-human exploitation of humans)(such as paying a good wage, health benefits, pensions, treating people with respect, you know, the right thing) and then telling them to call it anti-american, socialism..... geez........

“Support Our Troops!”

Since: Oct 07

Yuba City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

If you people don't like it, then don't buy Nike!
edd

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

johanson wrote:
The wages are not fair by what standard? These jobs are coveted in Vietnam, paying above what the workers would make in most other jobs.
As far as the jobs going overseas, when Americans are ready to start paying $3-4 hundred dollars for a pair of shoes, then these jobs will start coming back.
This is why the jobs do go to third world countries. People just don't care as long as they can get their designer items for cheap.

Imagine all the $$ made by having items that are bought with your $$$. It does not cost billions of dollars to make shoes in the US. The corporations will still make the money and give the wealfare people and people that just don't work a chance to become a part of the economic structure in our own country.
edd

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

2

CaptJack wrote:
If you people don't like it, then don't buy Nike!
I support the american worker and try to buy things made in the USA. I do not buy Nikes for this reason.

I also try to support the troops!!! I will vote Demo. and hope they all come home!!!
Richard

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 2, 2008
 
The source pf this story is not reliable.

“Support Our Troops!”

Since: Oct 07

Yuba City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 2, 2008
 
edd wrote:
<quoted text>
I support the american worker and try to buy things made in the USA. I do not buy Nikes for this reason.
I also try to support the troops!!! I will vote Demo. and hope they all come home!!!
Good For You!

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

We prevailed in major wars because of the manufacturing capability we had at the time. Gradually, and not all that slowly, we are losing that. When it's gone, this country will be incredibly vulnerable. It's just shoes, or it's just TVs or it's just cars - it's little things but they are starting to add up. The 'free market' will sink us eventually - defeated by our own capitalistic ideals.
3-7 DAD

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 2, 2008
 
edd wrote:
<quoted text>
I support the american worker and try to buy things made in the USA. I do not buy Nikes for this reason.
I also try to support the troops!!! I will vote Demo. and hope they all come home!!!
if u support the troops then vote mccain...if u support ur feet then buy chinese.. look and see where ur footwear is made...walmart was the last major retailer that sold strictly american made but had to finally but imports if they wanted products to sell.
Danniboy

Canberra, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 2, 2008
 
Don't buy nike. And while I'm at it, did you know those Levi's you buy for anywhere up to a couple hundred dollars cost the shop $30? That's $30 Australian mind you. After they've been shipped all the way to Australia.

Don't buy brand name. They aren't paying you to be a walking billboard, why should you pay them?
Ted

Quezon, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 2, 2008
 
Same thing happens to other asian countries. not only in vietnam. I hope all companies will realize that their employees are their best asset in the company. If they make much money on their product, they must share profit to their employees as well. we must learn to share little blessings to others.
edd

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 2, 2008
 
Uh Clem wrote:
We prevailed in major wars because of the manufacturing capability we had at the time. Gradually, and not all that slowly, we are losing that. When it's gone, this country will be incredibly vulnerable. It's just shoes, or it's just TVs or it's just cars - it's little things but they are starting to add up. The 'free market' will sink us eventually - defeated by our own capitalistic ideals.
Look at what happened to the biggest contract in Military Aircraft Industry a few weeks ago, the contract went to a US corporation that will be sending a lot of the work to Airbus and all that work is now lost to corporate money mongers. The biggest supporter of this is sitting in the White House constantly thinking of other ways of making the corporate world another dollar and taking away the much needed jobs to the US citizens he is supposed to be supporting.

“a'Round We Go”

Since: Apr 08

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Since I know how little these shoes cost to be made than why are the shoes still cost so much?

Profit is the percentage of a lie you sell, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of80
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••